Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-02-18, 12:34 PM
Varsity

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Had to sit first half of season due to transfer rule. Last night was his first meet. I did overhear conversation that the 6 fastest runners for Hoban were all football players. And the conversation was that it was because of their football training and lifting in the weight room. Lots of depth.
Yes, it is probably that. Or perhaps it is that the football team gathers the best players from numerous school districts, who simply are superior athletes, in whatever sport they choose to compete in.

Why do I have to harrass you in the track forum now? I'm guessing your son is running track this year.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-18, 03:11 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Uh oh. Guys, if this goes the way all the hoban threads on the football/basketball forums go, I am really sorry. I did not mean for this to happen. Many of these usernames popping up on this thread are not ones I expected to see on the track forums. I thought the track forum was a place you could say the H word without stirring up trouble. My mistake. From here on out, I will refrain from discussing the school that must not be named on any forum, and stay focused on the PTC.
Old 05-02-18, 06:28 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post
Yes, it is probably that. Or perhaps it is that the football team gathers the best players from numerous school districts, who simply are superior athletes, in whatever sport they choose to compete in.

Why do I have to harrass you in the track forum now? I'm guessing your son is running track this year.
Because you have nothing positive to say about anything. I am glad you are so interested in my posts though. Shows you care. No my son does not run track. But I would love to hear your analysis on track and meets currently going on.
Old 05-02-18, 10:56 PM
All American

Yeah, How is Kent Roosevelt in track this year?

I remember in the years leading up to 2015 (their last year in our league, and also my high school senior year), Roosevelt was one of the top teams in the PTC Metro. It was between them and Field I recall, and I think Crestwood was in the mix as well, they had good distance runners in those days (like Jacob Ondash). Coventry's improvements came in 2014 and into 2015, they were capable of battling for second in the PTC Metro in 2014. Then in 2015, it was a 4 way struggle between Coventry, Field, Kent, and Crestwood. Roosevelt had a 400 guy, Terry Spurney, who was a good rival to Coventry's Zach Lake; both qualified to states in d1 that year.

2016, the league was restructured, Crestwood dropped to the county, Kent left for the Suburban League, and then Woodridge, a perennial powerhouse, especially in distance, moved up to the Metro. Field lost a lot to graduation, so 2016 was basically Woodridge vs Coventry, they split the championship that year. 2017, Coventry struggled with injuries and lost its edge a bit, so Woodridge had the more decisive upper hand and Coventry, an improved Norton and Streetsboro fought for second. Brings us to 2018, which is just been weird so far. That's just my brief summary of the PTC Metro.

As for Kent Roosevelt, I'm not sure why they left the PTC Metro, it seems like their sports have taken a downturn since their move. Their track program, especially, seems to be having a tougher time competing in the Suburban league, which is tough with Tallmadge, Copley, Aurora, Highland, and Revere, all fielding strong teams. It is my personal opinion that Kent Roosevelt should have stayed in the PTC. Then Field would have gotten bumped down to the County, which by judging by their other sports lately, especially football, the county is probably a better fit for Field.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 05-02-18 at 11:06 PM..
Old 05-03-18, 05:41 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Yeah, How is Kent Roosevelt in track this year?

I remember in the years leading up to 2015 (their last year in our league, and also my high school senior year), Roosevelt was one of the top teams in the PTC Metro. It was between them and Field I recall, and I think Crestwood was in the mix as well, they had good distance runners in those days (like Jacob Ondash). Coventry's improvements came in 2014 and into 2015, they were capable of battling for second in the PTC Metro in 2014. Then in 2015, it was a 4 way struggle between Coventry, Field, Kent, and Crestwood. Roosevelt had a 400 guy, Terry Spurney, who was a good rival to Coventry's Zach Lake; both qualified to states in d1 that year.

2016, the league was restructured, Crestwood dropped to the county, Kent left for the Suburban League, and then Woodridge, a perennial powerhouse, especially in distance, moved up to the Metro. Field lost a lot to graduation, so 2016 was basically Woodridge vs Coventry, they split the championship that year. 2017, Coventry struggled with injuries and lost its edge a bit, so Woodridge had the more decisive upper hand and Coventry, an improved Norton and Streetsboro fought for second. Brings us to 2018, which is just been weird so far. That's just my brief summary of the PTC Metro.

As for Kent Roosevelt, I'm not sure why they left the PTC Metro, it seems like their sports have taken a downturn since their move. Their track program, especially, seems to be having a tougher time competing in the Suburban league, which is tough with Tallmadge, Copley, Aurora, Highland, and Revere, all fielding strong teams. It is my personal opinion that Kent Roosevelt should have stayed in the PTC. Then Field would have gotten bumped down to the County, which by judging by their other sports lately, especially football, the county is probably a better fit for Field.
Thatís a great post. I will sit and wait for roughridersports to give us his expert opinion.....................before I give mine.
Old 05-03-18, 01:22 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Kent Roosevelt offers many sports that are not contested in the PTC. I'm sure it became difficult to schedule. They probably thought it would be better to be in a league with schools that had more similar offerings.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's probably the biggest factor.

In MS, they have huge teams. Soccer teams that are 4 times the numbers that PTC schools have. In HS they get spread thinner and are not as competitive
Old 05-03-18, 01:44 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Kent Roosevelt offers many sports that are not contested in the PTC. I'm sure it became difficult to schedule. They probably thought it would be better to be in a league with schools that had more similar offerings.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's probably the biggest factor.

In MS, they have huge teams. Soccer teams that are 4 times the numbers that PTC schools have. In HS they get spread thinner and are not as competitive
Perhaps, but even so, my understanding with athletic directors, is that the biggest factors in their decisions is regarding the money making sports, like football and Basketball. As someone who loves cross country and track, I don't agree with that, but that is just how it is. Maybe at the time Kent Roosevelt made the decision, they did not anticipate Kent Roosevelt would fall as far as they did in Football and Basketball, and so they thought they could make this decision to benefit the other sports without it harming their money makers. Kent did used to be a lot better in those sports, and I'm not entirely sure what happened to them since.

It is interesting to note that Kent Roosevelt's enrollment figure is around 400, whereas the top end PTC teams have been around 300, 320 at the most. And Kent Roosevelt has never really shown the dominance in our league the way enrollment figures suggest they should.
Old 05-03-18, 02:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
That’s a great post. I will sit and wait for roughridersports to give us his expert opinion.....................before I give mine.
He might not reply. Its hard to defend what has been happening at Kent the last few years across many sports. I for one am saddened to see what has happened to them, especially in track.

I actually knew their track coach, he was a class act, who really got on great with our coach, Danny Savage. He was great even to athletes that weren't on his team. I remember he was giving me and a couple of my distance buddies a pep talk before our race at the league meet in 2015. Then when our best high jumper in 2014, Luke Bogdanovich, who cleared a 6'4 at the league meet, failed to clear 5'10 at districts and didn't advance, their coach was visibly upset upon hearing that news, as though Luke was on HIS team.

The one guy I mentioned, Terry Spurney, also nothing but class. He and Zach Lake hung out together at the state track tournament.

My point is, I really have nothing but respect for Kent Roosevelt based on my dealings with them, and so, it truly saddens me to see them fall like this. I want to see them get back on their feet and be competitive again.
Old 05-03-18, 02:39 PM
All American

As for my comets, today, we will be competing in the Toby Grimm Relays. Toby Grim Relays is a rather low key event held every year in Dalton. The competition generally isn't very tough, but this meet has been a tradition many years in the making for my comets. The opposing teams are Norton, Lake Center Christian, Mogadore, Dalton, and Newcomerstown. Coventry won that meet the last 4 times. However last year the meet was cancelled due to Dalton resurfacing their track. But this year the meet is back on, and Coventry will look to win the meet for the 5th time straight.

The best part of the meet, imho, is the food. They serve up a whole grilled chicken side, with both the leg and wing, properly seasoned, for just 7 dollars. The chicken is range fed and local, which makes it even better. Our athletes and spectators, especially the throwers, will generally buy up multiple chicken. It is just sooo good.

I like to think that is the reason why they keep on inviting us back, even though our team has kind of outgrown the level of competition there. Because they are probably making something like 1000 dollars from all the chickens we buy. Weve got to be like their favorite customers.
Old 05-03-18, 03:11 PM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As for my comets, today, we will be competing in the Toby Grimm Relays. Toby Grim Relays is a rather low key event held every year in Dalton. The competition generally isn't very tough, but this meet has been a tradition many years in the making for my comets. The opposing teams are Norton, Lake Center Christian, Mogadore, Dalton, and Newcomerstown. Coventry won that meet the last 4 times. However last year the meet was cancelled due to Dalton resurfacing their track. But this year the meet is back on, and Coventry will look to win the meet for the 5th time straight.

The best part of the meet, imho, is the food. They serve up a whole grilled chicken side, with both the leg and wing, properly seasoned, for just 7 dollars. The chicken is range fed and local, which makes it even better. Our athletes and spectators, especially the throwers, will generally buy up multiple chicken. It is just sooo good.

I like to think that is the reason why they keep on inviting us back, even though our team has kind of outgrown the level of competition there. Because they are probably making something like 1000 dollars from all the chickens we buy. Weve got to be like their favorite customers.
Well, Coventry borders the fried chicken capital of Ohio, so you guys probably have a love of chicken in a recessive gene.
Old 05-03-18, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

Last night at the NBC Middle School Championship, Salem's Ella Double broke the record in the girl's 1600 running a 5.19.9 The previous record was 5:26 set by Mattie Rankin of Louisville in 2006.
Old 05-03-18, 04:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Well, Coventry borders the fried chicken capital of Ohio, so you guys probably have a love of chicken in a recessive gene.
plus we actually open enroll quite a few barberton kids.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-18, 06:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post

Still waiting for that expert analysis............itís been over a day now.
Old 05-03-18, 10:21 PM
All American

Toby Grimm was a success. The chicken was fantasticly done. It was properly grilled, well seasoned. Another fantastic performance by our guys, eating up the chicken, well done. The Coventry Comets were clearly the best chicken eaters out their, no competition. Oh, there was also a track meet going on that we managed to win in-between bites.
Old 05-04-18, 07:43 AM
Varsity

Packard-Fan is on a distinguished road
Hoban boys and girls did a great job at the Northcoast League Conference Track Meet. The boys did great winnining the Conference Title. Led by a total team effort with wins in the discus, high jump, 100m and 4x100m. 2nd place showing in pole vault, 4x200m, long jump, shot put and 4x400m. Many more placed finishes gaining points for the team. First conference title for Hoban in 10 years. Great coaching job by Coach Ton Oneil.
Old 05-04-18, 10:17 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Yes, Hoban is a very good squad. They would be difficult to beat in a dual meet. Because they have depth everywhere.....They scored in every event and if they didn't score top two then they double score. They isn't by accident that's good coaching.
Old 05-04-18, 11:27 AM
Varsity

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Yes, Hoban is a very good squad. They would be difficult to beat in a dual meet. Because they have depth everywhere.....They scored in every event and if they didn't score top two then they double score. They isn't by accident that's good coaching.
That's true! He convinced several big time D1 football players to try new events. Fitzpatrick was one who gave up probably winning the 200m to jump a 19.9 long jump for 2nd place. Dickerson, who couldn't run, won the discuss! Baxter, offensive guard, learning to throw a shot this year getting 2nd place. Great coaching job!
Old 05-05-18, 10:56 AM
All American

So, which league is stronger in track and field? The portage trail conference, or the North Coast League? At first glance, I know, people would want to say the NCL, easily. But the more people dig into the teams that are actually in the PTC, the more apparent it is, people should not sleep on the ptc in track, like they might in football or basketball.
Old 05-05-18, 05:21 PM
All Ohio

The always tough Austintown Optimist meet was run today. A nice mix of top athletes from small and large schools around Northeast Ohio. A good tune-up for conference and district competitions. Salem sent a couple of athletes. Caitlyn Marx won the girls disc with a toss of 140-1. Zach Murray was second in the boys highs (15.34). Abbie Antram was third in the shot (39-1). Next up- dual meet with West Branch on Tuesday and then the NBC league meet on Friday.
Old 05-05-18, 07:55 PM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, which league is stronger in track and field? The portage trail conference, or the North Coast League? At first glance, I know, people would want to say the NCL, easily. But the more people dig into the teams that are actually in the PTC, the more apparent it is, people should not sleep on the ptc in track, like they might in football or basketball.
The PTC lost a lot of good all-state athletes to graduation or transfer from last season:
3 time state champs: Dakari Carter (100M) and Lauren Jones (Discus)
Abby Moore (2nd Shot Put 48-11, 3rd Discus)
Max Starvaggi (2nd 800)
Jacob Mally (2nd 110 H)
Raquel Jones (2nd 300 H)
KeShun Jones (3rd 400)
Savannah Nevels (4th 200)
Plus Hannah Schill transferred from Southeast to Hoban and won the NCL in the 800 and anchored the winning 4x4
Old 05-05-18, 09:43 PM
All American

Indeed, Id say this year, the North Coast League has been stronger. Although Woodridge, being anchored by their all state distance athletes every year, is more then capable of matching up with the best of the NCL. But I think the PTC has been down a bit this year.

But over the broader ark of the last 5 years, the PTC has been a powerhouse compared to other leagues with similar sized schools.

Woodridge, in addition to their perennial all state cross country distance runners, has had its share of sprinters (Novak, Sanders), Hurdlers (Mally), and jumpers (also Mally).

Streetsboro sprinters have been renown across the state, although they are down now.

Field has been down the last couple seasons, but typically will have strong distance runners, and throwers, and maybe a hurdler.

Cloverleaf typically has a stronger girls team, but their boys team has come around the last couple seasons.

Coventry, typically a very scrappy team, has been capable of putting up good points in a number of different events at the district and even regional level, even if they haven't seen tons of success at the state level. Burkhart, Sibley, Skaggs, Jones, Jackson, Bogdanovich, Hinzman, Lake, and Collins have been whats carried their team the past few seasons. They are rebuilding now, but I believe that their younger talent will see that this team continues to find success in the coming years.

Norton, throws and Jumps, and hurdles have been good.

Springfield, Ravenna, both bottom dwellers in the PTC, but they have both had success in a few events as well.

Crestwood, see Field

The rest of the PTC County teams are also fairly scrappy, and have had their moments in several events over the last few years.

It is also worth noting that the PTC Metro has had 4 teams place in the top 8 at regionals last season, 3 in the top 8 in 2016.

I'm not saying we were the best league in the state, or better than the North Coast League over the last 5 years, but the PTC schools have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of on the track, and I do think that they can at least be compared to the NCL teams.
Old 05-09-18, 07:11 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuck View Post
The PTC lost a lot of good all-state athletes to graduation or transfer from last season:
3 time state champs: Dakari Carter (100M) and Lauren Jones (Discus)
Abby Moore (2nd Shot Put 48-11, 3rd Discus)
Max Starvaggi (2nd 800)
Jacob Mally (2nd 110 H)
Raquel Jones (2nd 300 H)
KeShun Jones (3rd 400)
Savannah Nevels (4th 200)
Plus Hannah Schill transferred from Southeast to Hoban and won the NCL in the 800 and anchored the winning 4x4
Great to have Hanna at Hoban! A correction is in order, the anchor for the winning 4X400m relay was Janay Bass with a .57 split. They're a great team.
Old 05-09-18, 10:22 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard-Fan View Post
Great to have Hanna at Hoban! A correction is in order, the anchor for the winning 4X400m relay was Janay Bass with a .57 split. They're a great team.
What is happening to the portage county PTC? They are absolutely hemorrhaging athletes to Hoban! Sad! At least the summit county PTC + Cloverleaf are retaining their athletes. At least I think Norton and Woodridge are doing fine (although Norton would be wise to work on their football-Springfields got work to do too!). I know Coventry hasnt lost anyone important to Hoban/SVSM in some time. But something is clearly rotten in portage county. And they gotta get that fixed, because its hurting the overall strength of our league-and by extension, Coventry and Woodridge's ability to make the playoffs in football. Although, Woodridge has done fine with it thus far. But still. I want the PTC to improve.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 05-09-18 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-10-18, 07:57 AM
Varsity

Quote:
What is happening to the portage county PTC? They are absolutely hemorrhaging athletes to Hoban! Sad! At least the summit county PTC + Cloverleaf are retaining their athletes. At least I think Norton and Woodridge are doing fine (although Norton would be wise to work on their football-Springfields got work to do too!). I know Coventry hasnt lost anyone important to Hoban/SVSM in some time. But something is clearly rotten in portage county. And they gotta get that fixed, because its hurting the overall strength of our league-and by extension, Coventry and Woodridge's ability to make the playoffs in football. Although, Woodridge has done fine with it thus far. But still. I want the PTC to improve.
I think teams in the PTC are doing well. Great support, facilities that I'm aware of, and kids can get a good education. The draw of Hoban is good education, facilities and support. My wife and I both work for APS schools. When we moved here from WV in 2003 my son was 3. Being aware of the "distractions" in the inner city classroom, I didn't want my kids to go to our neighborhood school, Perkins Middle or Buchtel. All four of my kids we either open enrolled or placed in alternative sights or went private. I'm personally aware of several inner city kids who's parents feel the same way.
All four of my kids played soccer in GAASA when they were little. We played many PTC area youth soccer organizations. I was always impressed with the support and organization these kids received. Often with us playing down a player or no subs, cause there was often no inner city parental support. Coventry always had a lot of kids and we enjoyed coming to Lions Park. It appears to me that things are going great in the PTC communities.
Old 05-10-18, 11:09 AM
All American

Fortunately for you, you got to see one of the stronger areas for the ptc, in soccer. Coventry's high school boys soccer team hasnt had a losing season in many years, and i accredit that to our solid youth program, that is ensuring that are athletes have a solid foundation come high school. Coventry youth soccer could serve as a model for really any school in the PTC.

However, your experience with our youth soccer teams gives you a rather optimistic view of our league. The schools like Coventry and Woodridge, Cloverleaf, and Norton are more as how you described. However, even here, we still deal with levy struggles. Geting any kind of community support takes a lot of effort from many different people. its not easy. But I think our schools are doing fine with pursuading athletes to stay as opposed to go private.

But it seems some of the portage county schools are not doing as well there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard-Fan View Post
I think teams in the PTC are doing well. Great support, facilities that I'm aware of, and kids can get a good education. The draw of Hoban is good education, facilities and support. My wife and I both work for APS schools. When we moved here from WV in 2003 my son was 3. Being aware of the "distractions" in the inner city classroom, I didn't want my kids to go to our neighborhood school, Perkins Middle or Buchtel. All four of my kids we either open enrolled or placed in alternative sights or went private. I'm personally aware of several inner city kids who's parents feel the same way.
All four of my kids played soccer in GAASA when they were little. We played many PTC area youth soccer organizations. I was always impressed with the support and organization these kids received. Often with us playing down a player or no subs, cause there was often no inner city parental support. Coventry always had a lot of kids and we enjoyed coming to Lions Park. It appears to me that things are going great in the PTC communities.
Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-18, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Stop me if you've heard this one before...
Woodridge boys and girls win the PTC Metro meet.

Same crap, different year.
Old 05-12-18, 02:41 AM
All American

Indeed, Woodridges dynasty prevails another year. Noone had the pieces or the depth to stop it. Coventry's sprints were uncharacteristically weak this year, maybe if they had the sprinters of the caliber of Burkhart and Sibley, they could have. But no, their sprint core is young and has a lot of work to do yet. Streetsboro and Field, two traditional powerhouses, were down. Cloverleaf, and Ravenna made a lot of improvements, but still not at the point where they can dethrone Woodridge. Coventry snagging the PTC Co-Championship with Woodridge in 2016 was the most any league team has done to Woodridge in the past decade. But I'm not discouraged. Our team is young, we return almost everyone. We have upcoming talent in the middle school. This year may have been a bit of a down year for us. But this years team would have been considered a major up year for us a decade ago. We still won 3 invitationals-the desire to continue and build on that is still here. The comets will come back next year, where we will make Coventry fast again. We will make Coventry strong again. And we are going to make Coventry great again.
Old 05-12-18, 07:26 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I think Woodridge scored in every event except the boys 300 hurdles. Both boys and girls teams are younger than usual. A lot of freshman and Sophomores on both squads. Cross Country kids fill out too many of the events. Need more from other sports. Woodridge sets up to be better next year.
Old 05-12-18, 09:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I think Woodridge scored in every event except the boys 300 hurdles. Both boys and girls teams are younger than usual. A lot of freshman and Sophomores on both squads. Cross Country kids fill out too many of the events. Need more from other sports. Woodridge sets up to be better next year.
You gotta get the wrestlers out. That's where the jackpot of athletic talent is at. I truly believe that the team in our league that can figure out how to get all of their wrestlers out onto the track turns into a state powerhouse overnight, regardless of where that team stands today. The only problem is wrestling coaches are stingy with their athletes and pressure them to do all kinds of off season wrestling competitions year round. But the team that can figure out how to break through that....is golden.

Yeah, I think Coventry boys scored in every event too, besides the shot put, and the 800 (we didn't run Skaggs). Problem is the relative lack of standout athletes with us this season. We had to rely on too many 5ths and 6ths places to scrap those 87 point together, although we did do decent in the short relays; you don't need standouts for that. We wont represent as well in regionals as we did the last couple years, and we would need some major luck to get anything to state. But we will see. Look for us in the jumps and 110 hurdles.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 05-12-18 at 09:59 PM..
Old 05-12-18, 10:14 PM
All Ohio

At the Ohio Middle School State Championship held today, Salem's Ella Double (7th grade) ran a 5:14.98 to finish third in the girls 1600. The winning time was 5:07 followed by a 5:09. Ella also placed sixth in the 800 (2:24.46). A record was set in the boys 400. An eighth grader from Worthington Worthingway ran a 49.94!!

Last edited by peebles; 05-12-18 at 10:41 PM..