Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-11-18, 07:50 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Woodridge beat Coventry and Streetsboro last night. Boys and Girls.
Did Woodridge dual Norton yet? If Norton is as tough as you say, perhaps they could pull off the upset. If they can do that, Coventry could tie it up by beating Norton. I think Coventry matches up better against Norton than Woodridge anyways. Our distance squad has an opportunity to register some major damage against the panthers.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-11-18 at 08:01 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-18, 09:01 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
No, it was cancelled last week, so will be rescheduled for later in the season. I was told today that Norton boys are missing a top guy from last year, so not sure they match up as well against Woodridge as I thought they would. They still should be hard to handle.

Our depth just gave us too much for your guys to overcome. It's hard when we can throw that many distance kids at you. We are just strong enough in other areas where you couldn't score enough to overcome our strengths.
Old 04-11-18, 09:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
No, it was cancelled last week, so will be rescheduled for later in the season. I was told today that Norton boys are missing a top guy from last year, so not sure they match up as well against Woodridge as I thought they would. They still should be hard to handle.

Our depth just gave us too much for your guys to overcome. It's hard when we can throw that many distance kids at you. We are just strong enough in other areas where you couldn't score enough to overcome our strengths.
And yet our long distance squad continues to improve steadily. This year, we look to get 2 boys in under 4:40 by seasons end. And a third (a freshman) under 5:00. Only one of those guys is an upperclassman. In recent seasons, our 800 meter crew has done ok, with Jones in the class of 2016 being our best in recent years. Skaggs tends to start slow in the early season, but ran sub 2:05's by the end of last season. In addition, the numbers of kids coming out for distance improved as well. Our improvements in distance are nowhere near enough to take on woodridge, but I am confident Coventry distance running is moving in the right direction.

My biggest area of concern for us this year is throwing, 100 meters, and 400 meters. Throwing is a roll of the dice on a given year. 100's was hurt by Sibley not doing track because of injuries. 400's still has to get back to what it was in 2015 and 2016. If we want to beat woodridge, locking down the sprints up to the 400's is a must (as well as having some luck with good throwers, and while simultaneously maintaining our dominance in the jumps)

Coventry hurdling seems to be rebounding with its younger blood, that we developed last year.
Old 04-11-18, 10:38 PM
Varsity

Packard-Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Hoban has gotten better the last couple years. Even so, I can say with certainty the Coventry teams of 2015 or 2016, featuring star athletes like Zack Lake, Burkhart, Skaggs, Jones, Collins, and Sibley, would have taken care of even this years hoban squad.

We'll soon see. Hoban has dominate studs and awesome depth in sprints and mid distance. Enough left in distance and throws to not be blanked. Jumps, there's enough young football talent to score well here also. Oh we will see soon!!!
Old 04-12-18, 05:46 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
By the way, isn't it nice to talk about hoban without all the derps on the football forum getting involved?
Sorry to crash your Hoban bash party. I just happen to take a peak at the track forum as the season was underway and what do we find? CoventryTrackXCguy whining about Hoban and St V and wishing for the old days when Coventry was relevant. Not sure what a derp is but I know itís not a compliment. I will alert all of the pro Hoban posters to keep an 👁 on this thread.
Old 04-12-18, 08:06 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Sorry to crash your Hoban bash party. I just happen to take a peak at the track forum as the season was underway and what do we find? CoventryTrackXCguy whining about Hoban and St V and wishing for the old days when Coventry was relevant. Not sure what a derp is but I know it’s not a compliment. I will alert all of the pro Hoban posters to keep an �� on this thread.
I apologize if any of what ive said bothers you. But my only gripe regarding Hoban track has been scheduling related. I have no qualms with the actual competition from Hoban, which I have nothing less then the absolute respect for. Hoban competition wise, has been an excellent challenge for my comets the last 3 years, which I believe we have only benefited from. I have no doubt in my mind your knights are very hard working on the track, and that that has benefited your football program.

As far as "derps on the football forum" I was only referring to those who go around reducing Hobans success to being a product of recruiting, and not hard work or effort, every time Hoban is mentioned on these forums. Which is not something I stand for, I'm sorry if that is how I come across.

Also please be careful who you regard as irrelevant, this years comets may not be as excellent as my 2015 team, I agree. But our athletes even the last couple years have been very hard working, and have made some nice accomplishments as well, in the face of adversity. They have been better now than they have been in almost any year before 2015. These guys represent our best athletes across several of our sports. Not at all irrelevant, I dare say.

Again, I apologize to everyone if I come across as "whining". I am merely a recent Coventry graduate who is interested in the success of his alma maters track and cross country teams. Yeah I can come across as a bit fanatical, but I just want my comets to succeed.

By the way, are you coming to tonights dual meet? I will probably make it out. Looks like we will finally have some warm weather for once. I don't think my comets have enough to come on top this year, but I am hoping for tons of PR's, from both Comets, Knights, and Falcons (I think that's Firestones mascot, right?) alike. I wish your athletes the best of luck. Cheers to a good meet, and PR's for everyone.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-12-18 at 08:23 AM..
Old 04-12-18, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I apologize if any of what ive said bothers you. But my only gripe regarding Hoban track has been scheduling related. I have no qualms with the actual competition from Hoban, which I have nothing less then the absolute respect for. Hoban competition wise, has been an excellent challenge for my comets the last 3 years, which I believe we have only benefited from. I have no doubt in my mind your knights are very hard working on the track, and that that has benefited your football program.

As far as "derps on the football forum" I was only referring to those who go around reducing Hobans success to being a product of recruiting, and not hard work or effort, every time Hoban is mentioned on these forums. Which is not something I stand for, I'm sorry if that is how I come across.

Also please be careful who you regard as irrelevant, this years comets may not be as excellent as my 2015 team, I agree. But our athletes even the last couple years have been very hard working, and have made some nice accomplishments as well, in the face of adversity. They have been better now than they have been in almost any year before 2015. These guys represent our best athletes across several of our sports. Not at all irrelevant, I dare say.

Again, I apologize to everyone if I come across as "whining". I am merely a recent Coventry graduate who is interested in the success of his alma maters track and cross country teams. Yeah I can come across as a bit fanatical, but I just want my comets to succeed.

By the way, are you coming to tonights dual meet? I will probably make it out. Looks like we will finally have some warm weather for once. I don't think my comets have enough to come on top this year, but I am hoping for tons of PR's, from both Comets, Knights, and Falcons (I think that's Firestones mascot, right?) alike. I wish your athletes the best of luck. Cheers to a good meet, and PR's for everyone.
No apology necessary. Kinda funny though how you are quick to post something negative about Hoban and then caution someone when they react to your comment. Probably won’t make the meet although I wanted to. Previous commitment and looks like rain.
Old 04-12-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry to crash your Hoban bash party. I just happen to take a peak at the track forum as the season was underway and what do we find? CoventryTrackXCguy whining about Hoban and St V and wishing for the old days when Coventry was relevant. Not sure what a derp is but I know itís not a compliment. I will alert all of the pro Hoban posters to keep an 👁 on this thread.
To heck with this thread, just go to the meet and see what happens.
Old 04-12-18, 02:05 PM
All American

At any rate, i think im giving hoban the edge here. 74-54 hoban. Coventry wil beat Firestone by a similar margin. And Elms should give our girls a team to beat.

Old 04-12-18, 07:53 PM
All American

Wow. Yeah, we did get beaten pretty good. Many of our guys, particularly in distance and throws, underperformed, but even so, we didn't have anywhere near what we needed to beat Hoban, even if we did perform well. Unfortunate, I don't mind losing to Hoban, I don't maintiain any particular love or hatred for them, but I just wanted us to be a bit more competitive, a bit more worthy of an opponent. I don't want our guys thinking that hoban is unbeatable. Because once they start doing that, its only a matter of time before they decide if you cant beat them, join them. We don't have athletes doing that currently, and id prefer it stays that way. idc where hoban gets their athletes as long as its not from my portage lakes.

That being said, there where some things I liked, particularly our showing in the jumps and the hurdles. I am just impatient; we have plenty of potential among our younger sprinters, we need them to start delivering soon. I think we did come on top over Firestone however, so theres that.
Old 04-12-18, 08:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Wow. Yeah, we did get beaten pretty good. Many of our guys, particularly in distance and throws, underperformed, but even so, we didn't have anywhere near what we needed to beat Hoban, even if we did perform well. Unfortunate, I don't mind losing to Hoban, I just wanted us to be a bit more competitive, a bit more worthy of an opponent. That being said, there where some things I liked, particularly our showing in the jumps and the hurdles. I am just impatient; we have plenty of potential among our younger sprinters, we need them to start delivering soon.
After seeing that Hoban put Massillon down 94-33 on Tuesday, I figured Hoban had a pretty good team. Massillon is not as deep in certain areas as they have been in previous years, but they still won 5 events. The fact that Massillon only managed 8 other points in that meet shows what kind of depth Hoban has.
Old 04-12-18, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
At any rate, i think im giving hoban the edge here. 74-54 hoban. Coventry wil beat Firestone by a similar margin. And Elms should give our girls a team to beat.

I'd be shocked if Elms has more than a dozen kids on their team.
Old 04-12-18, 09:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
After seeing that Hoban put Massillon down 94-33 on Tuesday, I figured Hoban had a pretty good team. Massillon is not as deep in certain areas as they have been in previous years, but they still won 5 events. The fact that Massillon only managed 8 other points in that meet shows what kind of depth Hoban has.
Massillon is one of those teams that isn't very balanced. their sprints, at least historically have been incredibly dominant in the sprints. However their distance leaves a lot to be desired. If their sprinters are able to deliver in the hurdles and jumps as well, they can be very good. But on seasons that they are not, and especially if they are weaker in 400's, they are easily beatable.

Balanced scrappy teams like Hoban, Coventry, Woodridge, etc, tend to have the advantage in dual meets. More focused teams are gonna do better on the scoreboard at regionals and especially states. Like Streetsboro. Now Woodridge hasn't had a problem with that, incredibly, but Coventry, and I think hoban, even if we can manage to get a group to states, we struggle to place. Coventry has had 8 state qualifiers during savages phenomenal coaching era. Some very fine athletes. Not one has sniffed the podium. Hoban, I believe, and you or Cougarfan can correct me if I'm wrong, but hoban thus far has also struggled to accomplish things at states and even regionals, and not for want of phenomenal athletes. although Hoban is d1, which makes things exceedingly difficult. I remember when we were d1 too, so I can appreciate their challenges.
Old 04-12-18, 09:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Massillon is one of those teams that isn't very balanced. their sprints, at least historically have been incredibly dominant in the sprints. However their distance leaves a lot to be desired. If their sprinters are able to deliver in the hurdles and jumps as well, they can be very good. But on seasons that they are not, and especially if they are weaker in 400's, they are easily beatable.

Balanced scrappy teams like Hoban, Coventry, Woodridge, etc, tend to have the advantage in dual meets. More focused teams are gonna do better on the scoreboard at regionals and especially states. Like Streetsboro. Now Woodridge hasn't had a problem with that, incredibly, but Coventry, and I think hoban, even if we can manage to get a group to states, we struggle to place. Coventry has had 8 state qualifiers during savages phenomenal coaching era. Some very fine athletes. Not one has sniffed the podium. Hoban, I believe, and you or Cougarfan can correct me if I'm wrong, but hoban thus far has also struggled to accomplish things at states and even regionals, and not for want of phenomenal athletes. although Hoban is d1, which makes things exceedingly difficult. I remember when we were d1 too, so I can appreciate their challenges.
I am quite familiar with Massillon's traditional personnel. My school sees them multiple times each season. There are only 32 distance points to be had in a dual meet. I know that because, on at least 1 or 2 occasions, my school's team scored every distance point available and still lost the meet. My point is that even in a down year, it takes a pretty good team to hold Massillon to 33 in a dual meet. They're generally athletic enough that they'll always get their share of points in the sprints, hurdles, jumps, and throws.

DI is a completely different world. Nearly every school at that level has a couple kids who would be studs on teams in the smaller divisions.
Old 04-12-18, 09:34 PM
All American

Oh god. First I stir up Hoban people. And now with this last post, I may stir up Massillon faithful. Guys, if Massillon people start showing up here ready to crucify us all, I'm really sorry. Ill take the fall. If I keep going at this rate, I'm gonna be the most wanted man in northeast ohio.
Old 04-12-18, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Oh god. First I stir up Hoban people. And now with this last post, I may stir up Massillon faithful. Guys, if Massillon people start showing up here ready to crucify us all, I'm really sorry. Ill take the fall. If I keep going at this rate, I'm gonna be the most wanted man in northeast ohio.
Relax. I don't think I've ever seen a Massillon poster on this forum. If they do come around, I'm right here with you.
Old 04-12-18, 09:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I am quite familiar with Massillon's traditional personnel. My school sees them multiple times each season. There are only 32 distance points to be had in a dual meet. I know that because, on at least 1 or 2 occasions, my school's team scored every distance point available and still lost the meet. My point is that even in a down year, it takes a pretty good team to hold Massillon to 33 in a dual meet. They're generally athletic enough that they'll always get their share of points in the sprints, hurdles, jumps, and throws.
Indeed, good point. your gonna need something else besides distance runners to take down a sprint focused team. A balanced scrappy team should theoretically have that however.
Old 04-12-18, 10:02 PM
All American

[/QUOTE]
DI is a completely different world. Nearly every school at that level has a couple kids who would be studs on teams in the smaller divisions.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I'm all too familiar with what the d1 scene looks like. For schools like Solon or Hudson, or Glen Oak, its not a problem. But for area schools like Coventry, Norton, Marlington, Tallmadge, Hoban, its a death sentence. Coventry came close but we were shy by like two students-if competitive balance ever applies to track, we are royally screwed. Hoban and Marlington have been in d1 the past couple years. Norton just got d1'd. My heart goes out to them.
Old 04-13-18, 10:05 PM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
Salem will be at Glen Oak tomorrow in the Second Sole Eagle Elite meet. It will be a stern test for them as they go up against some of the best athletes in the region. At least it won't be snowing tomorrow. Good luck to the Quakers!
Old 04-13-18, 10:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Salem will be at Glen Oak tomorrow in the Second Sole Eagle Elite meet. It will be a stern test for them as they go up against some of the best athletes in the region. At least it won't be snowing tomorrow. Good luck to the Quakers!
Best of luck. A lot of d1 powerhouses there I think.
Old 04-15-18, 03:01 PM
All Ohio

Salem faired well against mainly D1 schools at Glen Oak. The highlight of the day was Caitlyn Marx performance in the shot and disc. She won MVP Field event honors for the girls with a toss of 155-1 which set the meet record in the discus; she also won the shot put. Her teammate was second in the shot and fourth in the disc giving her runner up points in the MVP race. The 3200 relay finished fifth in a very talented and competitive race. The girls team finished sixth out of 24 teams. The boys finished 12th in the 24 team field, highlighted by the third place finish of the 1600 relay, Christopher Hunter's fifth place in the 3200 (9:36) and the 3200 relay fourth place finish. They also finished sixth in the 4x200. Turner Johnson leapt to a fourth place in the high jump (6-2). Strongsville won boys and girls championship honors. Glen Oak and Medina tied for runner up for the boys, and Medina was second for the girls.

Last edited by peebles; 04-15-18 at 10:46 PM..
Old 04-16-18, 03:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Salem faired well against mainly D1 schools at Glen Oak. The highlight of the day was Caitlyn Marx performance in the shot and disc. She won MVP Field event honors for the girls with a toss of 155-1 which set the meet record in the discus; she also won the shot put. Her teammate was second in the shot and fourth in the disc giving her runner up points in the MVP race. The 3200 relay finished fifth in a very talented and competitive race. The girls team finished sixth out of 24 teams. The boys finished 12th in the 24 team field, highlighted by the third place finish of the 1600 relay, Christopher Hunter's fifth place in the 3200 (9:36) and the 3200 relay fourth place finish. They also finished sixth in the 4x200. Turner Johnson leapt to a fourth place in the high jump (6-2). Strongsville won boys and girls championship honors. Glen Oak and Medina tied for runner up for the boys, and Medina was second for the girls.
Interesting decision by Salem to attend this meet. I mean, its good to test yourselves against quality competition. But at the same time, you wont be seeing really any of those teams in d2 postseason. So I cannot help but wonder if that one really competitive meet you attend is better off being the Poland Invitational.
Old 04-16-18, 04:55 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Interesting decision by Salem to attend this meet. I mean, its good to test yourselves against quality competition. But at the same time, you wont be seeing really any of those teams in d2 postseason. So I cannot help but wonder if that one really competitive meet you attend is better off being the Poland Invitational.
Salem is going to be at the Poland Invite according to the school website. They will be at the East Palestine Relays this Friday. Is Coventry going to be at the EP Relays this year?

Last edited by peebles; 04-16-18 at 05:12 PM..
Old 04-16-18, 05:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Salem is going to be at the Poland Invite according to the school website. They will be at the East Palestine Relays this Friday. Is Coventry going to be at the EP Relays this year?
No. This Friday, we will be racing at the Adidas Invitational, in Crestwood. I think this is the inaugural year for this invitational, I have no idea who will be there, or how big this invitational will be. But I guess we will find out. Weather is looking like sunny and upper forties. Would be perfect if it was 10-15 degrees warmer, but, hey cant complain. It could be worse.
Old 04-19-18, 05:57 AM
All Ohio

Hoban boys and girls track teams sweep rival St V last night. Hoban takes the sprints while St V takes the distance races. Boys go 4-0 on the season.
Old 04-19-18, 11:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Hoban boys and girls track teams sweep rival St V last night. Hoban takes the sprints while St V takes the distance races. Boys go 4-0 on the season.
Yeah, to SVSM's credit they are good at distance. But Hoban is pretty much good at everything else.
Old 04-19-18, 01:06 PM
Varsity

Packard-Fan is on a distinguished road
Hoban Track

Quote:
Hoban boys did real well. Winning the meet 73-55. StVM is very strong in the distances, boys and girls. Hoban although decent, is very young in these events. The sprints and field events Hoban scores many more points. That said, Hoban has several individual sprinters, boys and girls, I look forward to seeing in Columbus.
Old 04-19-18, 02:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard-Fan View Post
Hoban boys did real well. Winning the meet 73-55. StVM is very strong in the distances, boys and girls. Hoban although decent, is very young in these events. The sprints and field events Hoban scores many more points. That said, Hoban has several individual sprinters, boys and girls, I look forward to seeing in Columbus.
Not to be a killjoy here, but hoban still has its work cut out for them if they wish to be well represented in Columbus. They are good. But D1 also features a lot of other really good teams, from really big schools. And a lot of depth in competition. 1 imprecise (not bad, mind you. merely imprecise) handoff is enough to ruin anyones day. This isnt football, or basketball, where moving up a division is more manageable. The differences between 1 and 2 are night and day. I havent followed d1 since coventry got bumped down to d2, but i know it used to be like Massillon, GlenOak, Solon, Stow, and Austintown Fitch, among others, that brought the best sprinters. I dont know the landscape too well now however.

Old 04-19-18, 07:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Not to be a killjoy here, but hoban still has its work cut out for them if they wish to be well represented in Columbus. They are good. But D1 also features a lot of other really good teams, from really big schools. And a lot of depth in competition. 1 imprecise (not bad, mind you. merely imprecise) handoff is enough to ruin anyones day. This isnt football, or basketball, where moving up a division is more manageable. The differences between 1 and 2 are night and day. I havent followed d1 since coventry got bumped down to d2, but i know it used to be like Massillon, GlenOak, Solon, Stow, and Austintown Fitch, among others, that brought the best sprinters. I dont know the landscape too well now however.

Your last sentence was the best. I donít think anyone is claiming a state title in the future for The Hoban track team. It is a reflection of the increase in winning across all sports. I attribute it a lot to the strength and conditioning program. The strength coach at Hoban holds the same certification or higher as most big time college programs. Success is breading success and more student athletes are coming to Hoban because of it. The fitness center recently built is as good or better than any in state at any level.
Old 04-19-18, 07:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Your last sentence was the best. I don’t think anyone is claiming a state title in the future for The Hoban track team. It is a reflection of the increase in winning across all sports. I attribute it a lot to the strength and conditioning program. The strength coach at Hoban holds the same certification or higher as most big time college programs. Success is breading success and more student athletes are coming to Hoban because of it. The fitness center recently built is as good or better than any in state at any level.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think the track team getting better is a reflection on anything so much, as I believe it is a significant cause of your football team's success, as well as your success in other sports. I have long subscribed to the theory that football and track go together, and if a school wants to get better in football, that improvements on the track are necessary. I believe that Hoban is an example of that. At least that is the narrative I use when trying to sell track over baseball to Coventry football players. I have no doubt that our recent improvements in football are linked to our recent improvements on the track. Size is a gift. Speed can be acquired.

Also, I may be a bit out of the loop regarding the d1 track landscape. But don't take my concerns lightly in regards to Hoban, or any school with an enrollment count under 330, in d1. I love looking through and keeping track of race results and times from all over Ohio. I practically live on baumspage. numbers don't lie, my friend. I have followed track for several years now. Im not saying this as to discourage Hoban followers, but rather, so you know the challenges you face are not to be taken lightly. That being said, folks from smaller schools can succeed in d1. Hobans 4 by 100 last year. Zack Lake from Coventry, in 2014 and 2015 in the 400. Lane Knoch, from Marlington, in the 300m hurdles. Louisville, in the distance events. Tracy Jordan, Springfield, throws. Anything can happen.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-19-18 at 08:04 PM..