Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-21-18, 09:14 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Here is the scoop...

There are quite a few coaches at Maumee who would vote to leave the league tomorrow. The Maumee coaches and players though are spoiled. My daughter's friends complain about road trips to BG and Napoleon. I can't imagine them driving to SBC schools.

The old AD at Maumee (a good guy I might add) told me that when he floated the division idea with the TRAC and the NBC, it was shot down pretty quick.

Perrysburg's principal has been on the record as saying that he would never agree to be in a league with private schools.

I think that the growth in the metro area is in Pburg and AW. They are good schools. Why pay the money and drive to a Toledo private? The population of the actual city of Toledo is dropping.

I have said this before and Irish Buffalo will concur. TPS REALLY (REALLY!) screwed up by simply rebuilding their high schools on the same spots without thinking of the future.

I would have voted to go with four high schools. The one tough thing though that politically it would have been impossible to close Scott and it is hard to get students not from the Scott area to attend Scott. I would have kept Waite, Scott, and built new high schools that would have been a combination of Bowsher/Rogers and Woodward/Start.

Economy of scale!
Old 03-21-18, 09:16 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Might be easy to add Clay and Ross and go to a two division NLL
Old 03-22-18, 09:09 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
Might be easy to add Clay and Ross and go to a two division NLL
There is no advantage to the NLL expanding beyond eight. The league rejected that proposition before.
Old 03-22-18, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
Here is the scoop...

There are quite a few coaches at Maumee who would vote to leave the league tomorrow. The Maumee coaches and players though are spoiled. My daughter's friends complain about road trips to BG and Napoleon. I can't imagine them driving to SBC schools.

The old AD at Maumee (a good guy I might add) told me that when he floated the division idea with the TRAC and the NBC, it was shot down pretty quick.

Perrysburg's principal has been on the record as saying that he would never agree to be in a league with private schools.

I think that the growth in the metro area is in Pburg and AW. They are good schools. Why pay the money and drive to a Toledo private? The population of the actual city of Toledo is dropping.

I have said this before and Irish Buffalo will concur. TPS REALLY (REALLY!) screwed up by simply rebuilding their high schools on the same spots without thinking of the future.

I would have voted to go with four high schools. The one tough thing though that politically it would have been impossible to close Scott and it is hard to get students not from the Scott area to attend Scott. I would have kept Waite, Scott, and built new high schools that would have been a combination of Bowsher/Rogers and Woodward/Start.

Economy of scale!
Nah. This isn't rural town where traveling 20 miles to class can be normal. Once the thinking got past old traditions, there was still the issue of school attendance. Increasing district size led to charter attendance way more than did concerns over educational quality. No one goes to Glassome of those schools for educational quality. THey send their kids there, because they're close.

I would have voted small town approach, merging the junior highs and keep the districts smaller. We'd still have Libbey and Divilbiss. Freshman classes are large, but depleted by the 8-9 transition. This would decrease. This would also put the middle and high school core teachers in the same building cohort to coordinate (and weed out the don't have a clues).

Avoid the transition. The privates are still going to get their onesy-twosy athletes. TPS has enough magnets to retain academics, particularly if the high academics are comfortable in where they would be spending their next four years. It would have been easier to involve the middle school students in the magnets helping the vocational needs of the city.

Who would suffer? The fly-by-night charters would suffer and we wouldn't be reading articles in the paper of massive numbers of kids having to find a new school in the middle of the year.

The ones not retaining from the traditional pool are the privates, losing suburban population. Basically, their only useful function and they're failing and going where the money is and rebuilding further out.
Old 03-22-18, 12:01 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Nah. This isn't rural town where traveling 20 miles to class can be normal. Once the thinking got past old traditions, there was still the issue of school attendance. Increasing district size led to charter attendance way more than did concerns over educational quality. No one goes to Glassome of those schools for educational quality. THey send their kids there, because they're close.

I would have voted small town approach, merging the junior highs and keep the districts smaller. We'd still have Libbey and Divilbiss. Freshman classes are large, but depleted by the 8-9 transition. This would decrease. This would also put the middle and high school core teachers in the same building cohort to coordinate (and weed out the don't have a clues).

Avoid the transition. The privates are still going to get their onesy-twosy athletes. TPS has enough magnets to retain academics, particularly if the high academics are comfortable in where they would be spending their next four years. It would have been easier to involve the middle school students in the magnets helping the vocational needs of the city.

Who would suffer? The fly-by-night charters would suffer and we wouldn't be reading articles in the paper of massive numbers of kids having to find a new school in the middle of the year.

The ones not retaining from the traditional pool are the privates, losing suburban population. Basically, their only useful function and they're failing and going where the money is and rebuilding further out.
Never would have thought about that approach. Goes against conventional big city thinking I guess? Makes sense though.

The Local News did a story not long ago where they broke down budgets for schools and TPS was way higher than others when comparing apples to apples (size). In other words if the TPS HS districts were comparable to, say, Maumee, in student population, then you should be able to multiply Maumee's administration by 6 (6 TPS HS districts) and have the outcome be relatively close to TPS administration but it wasn't. The TPS administration had WAY more folks. Theoretically, TPS could carve up their remaining districts and have each operate independently (like a Maumee) and it should be cheaper? And in my opinion provide far better services - or at least FORCE competition amongst all TPS schools. Ten years ago or so, Washington Local shut down Trilby Grade School and had the building torn down. Today, the district is busting at the seams outside of any projections the district had 10 years ago. Why? Because anyone with young kids who cannot afford suburb living or private school is moving into the district for a perceived better opportunity for their children.

When cities like Toledo lose population it is very tough for their administration departments (schools, fire, police) to do the same. They still operate at the top as if they have the same population of 20-30 years ago relatively speaking. Why do you have that position? Because we've always had that position.
Old 03-22-18, 06:16 PM
All District

NLLBEST is on a distinguished road
Im really hoping some time in the next decade Anthony Wayne and Perrysburg move to the TRAC and Clay and Fremont Ross move to the NLL. That seems like the simplest solution to me and it prevents a large amount of shift from happening. I still cant imagine the NBC ever allowing maumee to join ans honestl being from Maumee I still hate that idea with all of the logistics that come with it. Outside of Napoleon no other NLL schools have seemed to want to move.

Another possible theoretical situation I could see happening would be for the TCL schools (if there were 4), Toledo Privates and Whitmer making an 8 team league. While the NLL ended up with Findlay, Ross, Pburg, A-W, SV, NV, Springfield, Maumee, BG and Napoleon creating a 10 team (or add 2 smaller schools like Rossford and Lake to make it 12) and having a big school/small school split divisions with cross-over games.
Old 03-23-18, 10:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLBEST View Post
Im really hoping some time in the next decade Anthony Wayne and Perrysburg move to the TRAC and Clay and Fremont Ross move to the NLL. That seems like the simplest solution to me ...
That's not a bad idea, but why would AW and Perrysburg take on more travel, expense, and fewer wins to solve Clay and Ross's problem?
Old 03-23-18, 11:21 AM
All Region

TRAC Football is on a distinguished road
Word on the street is Kregel resigned.
Old 03-23-18, 11:24 AM
All World

I heard that as well. Interesting to say the least. Highly coveted job in NWOhio.
Old 03-23-18, 11:26 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I heard that as well. Interesting to say the least. Highly coveted job in NWOhio.
Highly top secret as well.
Old 03-23-18, 11:31 AM
All World

Wonder if any Perrysburg folk can confirm?
Old 04-25-18, 06:54 PM
Freshman

TIITA is on a distinguished road
No thatís not true. There seems to be some coaching changes but not at the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-18, 07:15 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter26 View Post
MAYBE Maumee & Napoleon to the NWOAL? Even though itís a small
school league (with Wauseon being the biggest school in the league) iím sure they would find very good competition there. I think it would be the best fit for them. Plus every school in the league besides a few is within 20 miles.

I donít see this happening but itís just a thought

there has been a lot of talks and rumors with Napoleon joining back to their old league, the NWOAL. ever since montpelier left the NWOAL to join the TAAC.
Old 04-26-18, 07:54 PM
All District

Johnson&Johnson is on a distinguished road
Think the NWOAL, outside of Wauseon (and possibly Archbold) would want a bigger school like them? Could create some interesting dominos with TRAC (Clay or Ross) to NLL.
Old 04-26-18, 08:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasula24 View Post
there has been a lot of talks and rumors with Napoleon joining back to their old league, the NWOAL. ever since montpelier left the NWOAL to join the TAAC.
Aren't there 8 schools in the NWOAL now? Pretty easy to schedule an 8 team league.
Old 04-26-18, 08:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson&Johnson View Post
Think the NWOAL, outside of Wauseon (and possibly Archbold) would want a bigger school like them? Could create some interesting dominos with TRAC (Clay or Ross) to NLL.
Bryan, Wauseon, Swanton, and Evergreen are all bigger than Archbold.
Old 04-27-18, 03:49 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
maumee & napoleon to the nwoal.. & fremont and clay to the NLL? sounds like it could work out easily ... but i doubt that would follow. it would be interesting to see.
Old 04-27-18, 08:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Bryan, Wauseon, Swanton, and Evergreen are all bigger than Archbold.
I meant do you think any schools in the NWOAL would want Napoleon, outside of Wauseon?
Old 04-28-18, 05:33 AM
All American

Quote:
I meant do you think any schools in the NWOAL would want Napoleon, outside of Wauseon?
I understand. I think the NWOAL currently has 8 members. It's easy to schedule an 8 team league, there is no advantage to going to 9. Especially when the 9th is so much larger than the other 8.

It could happen, but I don't think so.
Old 04-28-18, 10:07 AM
All World

NWOAL and NLL both 8 member leagues and stable. Will take one team to leave for the domino effect to begin.
Old 05-04-18, 07:34 AM
Freshman

North LS is on a distinguished road
Fremont has 16, 360 people .In 1990 it 17,960, do yes a steady decline , I looked at fremonts trac schedule and minde you Fremont is k ohjda small div.2 school, and last6 years ross played with just over 55 kids, while findlay with 46,200 people are rapidly growing and bring around 90 for football,whitner has over 120 kids on team and very large school roughly a thousand boys maybe.But you guys get picture,Vermont is well small and school in trac,ross applies for new SBC and unanimously turned down, and get Fremont roughly over 430 boys maybe, get this clyde 356 Bellevue has 267 kids Sandusky has 336 Norwalk truckers get this they have 375 boys cl8se to Fremont size .So in essence Fremont should be in SBC snf because 2 or 3 schools 1 being they don't want Fremont in because of football they like status quo.It would mean less wins maybe for those schools but those apparently want to be power in sbc in football .Fremonts population is steadily downward and iworking class people make it up.Joining A
Sbc would save gas for busses and its 45 minute to 1 half hour football trips.
Old 05-04-18, 07:44 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by North LS View Post
Fremont has 16, 360 people .In 1990 it 17,960, do yes a steady decline , I looked at fremonts trac schedule and minde you Fremont is k ohjda small div.2 school, and last6 years ross played with just over 55 kids, while findlay with 46,200 people are rapidly growing and bring around 90 for football,whitner has over 120 kids on team and very large school roughly a thousand boys maybe.But you guys get picture,Vermont is well small and school in trac,ross applies for new SBC and unanimously turned down, and get Fremont roughly over 430 boys maybe, get this clyde 356 Bellevue has 267 kids Sandusky has 336 Norwalk truckers get this they have 375 boys cl8se to Fremont size .So in essence Fremont should be in SBC snf because 2 or 3 schools 1 being they don't want Fremont in because of football they like status quo.It would mean less wins maybe for those schools but those apparently want to be power in sbc in football .Fremonts population is steadily downward and iworking class people make it up.Joining A
Sbc would save gas for busses and its 45 minute to 1 half hour football trips.
That was almost impossible to read. Whatever you are trying to say, I think I agree, but I am still not sure what this post was all about.

PS Whitmer had around 70-75 kids on their team last season.
Old 05-04-18, 07:45 AM
Freshman

Sorry guys darn iphone.but you get jist Fremont plays teams that way big.At some point Fremont must do something .
Old 05-04-18, 08:21 AM
All American

Quote:
.So in essence Fremont should be in SBC
First, for the SBC's scheduling convenience and travel costs, I think the SBC should bite the bullet and admit Ross. But that's just my opinion.

Second, it is not the SBC's responsibility to solve Fremont's problems.

Third, a couple of good sources have told me that nobody in the SBC wants to admit Ross. Maybe that is not exactly right, but it is not just 1 or 2 schools.

Four, Ross is too big. Boys and girls combined enrollment, top three grades.

Ross - 893
Norwalk - 651
Columbian - 649
Sandusky - 630
Clyde - 560
Bellevue - 506
Perkins - 495

Last edited by chs1971; 05-04-18 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 10:55 AM
Varsity

ILikeSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
NWOAL and NLL both 8 member leagues and stable. Will take one team to leave for the domino effect to begin.
There have rumors of Patrick Henry leaving but I don't know how credible they are. I think they will be D7 for football this fall.

I don't know how much schools like Evergreen and Swanton would want Napoleon back in the league. Swanton would probably be more interested in Maumee.
Old 05-04-18, 12:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSports View Post
There have rumors of Patrick Henry leaving but I don't know how credible they are. I think they will be D7 for football this fall.

I don't know how much schools like Evergreen and Swanton would want Napoleon back in the league. Swanton would probably be more interested in Maumee.
Maybe, but Napoleon is smaller than Maumee, and geographically closer for most.
Old 05-04-18, 08:50 PM
Freshman

CHS 1971

first 893 combined girls and boys is overblown, ross has 41 5 to 430 .boys making small division 2 with boys, boys football and ohsaa makes division assessment for football classes on boys enrollment..

Yes I heard everybody in sbc ( bay ) dont want ross.

What else is sad regarding Fremont. There buses are same since early 2000's there fleet is up there age .I've done an economic study on ross and there working class town, .There's many kids at ross that either can't play or drugs or gotta work to help for families .So..
.55 kids maybe 60 a year last few tells this story.

Half of 896 is girls

Peace out guys see ya later and good look to everybody in NLL this year .I will pray for Fremont!.
Old 05-05-18, 07:01 AM
All American

Quote:
CHS 1971

first 893 combined girls and boys is overblown, ross has 41 5 to 430 .boys
Official OHSAA enrollment is 461 boys.
Old 05-05-18, 11:31 AM
All World

Keep in mind OHSAA calculates that number from the previous year grades 9-11.
Old 05-05-18, 04:46 PM
All District

Quote:
CHS 1971

first 893 combined girls and boys is overblown, ross has 41 5 to 430 .boys making small division 2 with boys, boys football and ohsaa makes division assessment for football classes on boys enrollment..

Yes I heard everybody in sbc ( bay ) dont want ross.

What else is sad regarding Fremont. There buses are same since early 2000's there fleet is up there age .I've done an economic study on ross and there working class town, .There's many kids at ross that either can't play or drugs or gotta work to help for families .So..
.55 kids maybe 60 a year last few tells this story.

Half of 896 is girls

Peace out guys see ya later and good look to everybody in NLL this year .I will pray for Fremont!.
Please share your "economic study". As difficult as it would be to read, it would be equally entertaining.