Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-04-18, 12:54 PM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
GWOC Baseball 2018

Baseball season will be here before we know it. Any dark horse teams to look out for this year or will it be the usual suspects? Let's take a stab at it.

North
It's hard to not go with Butler given what they have done over the last 20+ years. Tipp showed last year that they are up for challenging Butler and will likely be in the conversation once again. I like Butler but expect Tipp, Troy and Piqua to all be very competitive.

Can Butler get over the hurdle that has crippled them for the last few years in the tournament? The area's best regular season team for the last 2-3 years has not won a district championship since 2012.

South
Fairborn gets the nod here and I don't know that they really have a challenger to contend with.

East
Beavercreek took the east in 2017 but I look for Centerville to reclaim their spot at the top in 2018.

West
What can you say other than there are some really good baseball teams in the West. I am calling for Northmont to make major strides in 2018 and I think the division comes down to them and Lebanon.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-18, 08:50 PM
Junior Varsity

latti6935a is on a distinguished road
Tipp will win the AmNorth easily. I don't say that to be crass but Butler lost everyone accept Norman and he ain't pitching but one league game a series. I think Butler finishes definitely behind Tipp maybe behind Troy.
Old 02-06-18, 08:11 AM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by latti6935a View Post
Tipp will win the AmNorth easily. I don't say that to be crass but Butler lost everyone accept Norman and he ain't pitching but one league game a series. I think Butler finishes definitely behind Tipp maybe behind Troy.
I donít think Tipp will win easily, but they definitely have what it takes. 6í5 Ball State commit Zac Losey has been clocked officially at 91 MPH, and will lead a strong pitching staff once again. Junior transfer Keagan Eggelston has a good fast ball in the mid to upper 80s and Senior Miles McClurg pitched a decent amount last year. The Barhorst brothers are back for there final season and will look to continue their successful careers. Sophomore Cade Beam is a stud catcher and has been playing for Ohio Eite the past few seasons. The McClurg brothers bring a lot of speed to this team and Josh Riebe will finally take over at first base after being a varsity back up the last 2 years. This team will be strong although they do lose 2 stud D1 players from last year in Eichbuam and Hughes.
Old 02-06-18, 11:24 AM
Varsity

mahaff5499 is on a distinguished road
I think you mean Junior transfer Kenten Egbert.
Old 02-06-18, 02:58 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
I donít think Tipp will win easily, but they definitely have what it takes. 6í5 Ball State commit Zac Losey has been clocked officially at 91 MPH, and will lead a strong pitching staff once again. Junior transfer Keagan Eggelston has a good fast ball in the mid to upper 80s and Senior Miles McClurg pitched a decent amount last year. The Barhorst brothers are back for there final season and will look to continue their successful careers. Sophomore Cade Beam is a stud catcher and has been playing for Ohio Eite the past few seasons. The McClurg brothers bring a lot of speed to this team and Josh Riebe will finally take over at first base after being a varsity back up the last 2 years. This team will be strong although they do lose 2 stud D1 players from last year in Eichbuam and Hughes.
Not to nitpick, Kenton Egbert is the transfer. Also, Miles McClurg logged 1/3 of a varsity inning...Mason had 3 1/3.

I think it will be a very interesting race. Butler, Tipp and Troy all have a shot. Butler and Tipp are losing a lot, while Troy loses their one key player.

Out of the bunch, I would say Tipp has the most talent. Losey has quite the arm, and Yunker is pretty good too. Losey is obviously a great athlete that has really bloomed, but he still only pitched 2/3 of an inning this past year. He'll need to be able to use those tools that got him the D1 scholarship this spring. The Barhorst brothers along with Beam and some other players should be pretty good.

Butler brings back Norman, but will definitely be missing Damon along with Tyler Burley, who carried this team the past few years. Preston Tofstad and Fults will have to help the team offensively.

Troy really only loses Hayden Kotwica, who was their second leading hitter and pitcher, but bring back nearly everyone else. Jake Daniel (Ohio Dominican) and Brandon Emery (Findlay) will have to carry the team offensively, and Cole Brogan will be the ace on the mound. Keiran Williams is a reliable catcher that can really catch and throw it behind the plate. Pitcher Chase Weaver will likely be the other league game starter, and will have to step his game up. He's going to UNOH, an NAIA powerhouse, but will have to show that his tools can play as well.

It should be an interesting spring. Troy heads to Atlanta during Spring Break and that should help them get battle tested, I think Tipp heads to Florida and Butler to Myrtle Beach. Hopefully the weather stays nice for some good baseball this spring!
Old 02-08-18, 01:30 AM
Junior Varsity

TheTaxMan is on a distinguished road
Didn’t Fairborn graduate about everybody? On a team that didn’t make it out of the first round of the playoffs?
Old 02-08-18, 01:38 AM
Junior Varsity

TheTaxMan is on a distinguished road
Didnít Fairborn graduate Everyone? From a team that lost in the first round?
Old 02-08-18, 07:53 PM
Freshman

Nodaysoff is on a distinguished road
I say Butler or Tipp in the north. Fairborn for south. In the east I’d go with Centerville but I look for Springfield to make a move this year and give teams some trouble. They have some talent on the team. Swigart’s big bat at the plate followed by Manier, then Schnitzler/Mcglothin on the hill. Swigart can bring it from the mound too (threw a 1 hit shutout against KR which was a very solid team last year) but he’s needed at short and sometimes behind the dish (typically when Schnitzler is on the mound) so he doesn’t pitch as much. In the West I go with Springboro again.
Old 02-13-18, 02:30 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
#1 Troy (1 league loss)
#2 Tipp (2 league loss
#3 Vandalia (3 league loss)
Old 03-08-18, 11:18 AM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
I would expect whoever wins the North to come out with a couple of losses doing so. I am anticipating some great baseball within the North this season, just hoping that the weather follows suit.
Old 03-09-18, 10:25 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerAviator83 View Post
I would expect whoever wins the North to come out with a couple of losses doing so. I am anticipating some great baseball within the North this season, just hoping that the weather follows suit.
Tipp is going to be hard to beat. They have a lot of hitting, a stud ace with a fastball in the low 90s and a complete pitching staff. And they are going to be well coached as always with Cahill
Old 03-10-18, 01:22 PM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Tipp is going to be hard to beat. They have a lot of hitting, a stud ace with a fastball in the low 90s and a complete pitching staff. And they are going to be well coached as always with Cahill
The Devils are always a formidable opponent and it sounds like that will again be the case in 2018. For Butler no question the ace on the hill is Norman, but remains to be seen how the rest of the staff will perform. My hope is to have an in-depth preview to share within the next two weeks.

Back to Tipp though, really looking forward to this series. Last year was pretty intense and I expect nothing less this year. Based on what they return it's hard to not see them as the favorite this year. I was pretty excited a few years ago when it was announced that Tipp was joining the GWOC, and the match-ups have not disappointed in the major sports of football, basketball and baseball. When I was in school Northmont was always the team that you loved to beat and hated to lose to, for me now it's definitely Tipp. I hope to see this rivalry only strengthen over the years.
Old 04-03-18, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

What’s up with Butler? Saw they are 3-3 and it’s been awhile since they had three losses this early in the season. Rebuilding year after all?
Old 04-03-18, 12:43 PM
All American

Tipp is 6-0 and rolling. First time they went 5-0 in Florida
Old 04-04-18, 07:21 AM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
Whatís up with Butler? Saw they are 3-3 and itís been awhile since they had three losses this early in the season. Rebuilding year after all?
Hard to tell when playing out of state competition. Olentangy Liberty is always pretty good...plus they have a lefty this year going to Ohio State. Butler may have faced him.
Old 04-04-18, 09:17 AM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
What’s up with Butler? Saw they are 3-3 and it’s been awhile since they had three losses this early in the season. Rebuilding year after all?
Butler faced great competition in MB, easily the best that they have faced in their four years there. Faced three teams that are state championship potential, and as HomeRunsAndDunks mentioned, faced a number of #1 pitchers including Olentangy Liberty’s OSU commit Mitch Milheim. The Aviators competed in each of those games and was in every one. The room for error was small and as you can see some went Butler’s way and some did not. But I believe they will be better because of it down the road.

Three freshman starting this year in Carson Clark, Boston Smith and Quinton Hall, which may be a first at Butler, as I can only remember two at one time. (Cherry and Straley / Dues and Burley) Not only playing but contributing in a big way which is HUGE for the future! No doubt the North is going to be a challenge with Tipp and Troy, but the Aviators will definitely be in the conversation!

There is a lot of baseball to be played!
Old 04-07-18, 08:24 AM
All American

Tipp continues to roll, now 7-0 after a 5-1 victory over Fairmont
Old 04-07-18, 08:30 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Tipp continues to roll, now 7-0 after a 5-1 victory over Fairmont
nice start for Tipp looks like they have a nice team again this year. Sounds like pitching is deep.
Old 04-07-18, 11:54 AM
All American

Quote:
nice start for Tipp looks like they have a nice team again this year. Sounds like pitching is deep.
They have a stud pitcher Zac Losey going to Ball State with a fastball in the lower 90s. But I’m most impressed with their pitchers throwing strikes consistently and the way they have been hitting. Sophomore Cade Beam is a stud and is second on the team with 10 hits in 21 ABs. Senior Josh Riebe can rip the ball, 12 for 22 on the season with a HR and 8 RBIs. Losey Is third on the team In hitting going 8 for 19 with 4 doubles and 8 RBIs. The Barhorst brothers are solid as always, and the MCclurg brothers bring a ton of speed to this team. 30 stolen bases as a team already through 7 games.
Old 04-08-18, 02:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
Gotta love the guys with low 90s fastballs that are really mid to high 80s that touch 90 from time to time.

Kind of like all these high school catchers with 1.8, 1.9 pop times.
I donít understand why you automatically assume anything, when the kid is committed to a D1 program, recruited by Ohio State and Penn State and has been clocked in the low 90s consistently at college camps but good try
Old 04-09-18, 08:15 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
PBR has him 83-87 still very good as he is projectable being 6'4 I'm sure he will be in the 90s after he gets in a college strength and conditioning program and becomes a PO>
Old 04-11-18, 08:02 AM
All American

Tipp is now 9-0 and has only allowed 11 runs on the entire season. Don’t believe the Losey hype? Come watch him for yourself. He has pitched 16 innings without giving up a single run all the while striking out 20 batters
Old 04-11-18, 08:13 AM
All Ohio

TheBenchwarmer is on a distinguished road
I don’t discount Tipp City being a very good team but they haven’t exactly played a strong schedule and honestly don’t have any major matchups outside of Troy and Vandalia. I’d like to see them playing the Centerville, Elder, LaSalle, Springboro and Moeller’s of the world. I’ve watched Losey pitch since he was in little league and he is great. Don’t know what his speeds are but no matter he is a stud. Not bashing Tipp City by any stretch just don’t think they have really had any good tests yet.
Old 04-11-18, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

Tipp City is the dumbest, most unrealistic fan base in the Miami Valley on Yappi.
Old 04-11-18, 02:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
I donít discount Tipp City being a very good team but they havenít exactly played a strong schedule and honestly donít have any major matchups outside of Troy and Vandalia. Iíd like to see them playing the Centerville, Elder, LaSalle, Springboro and Moellerís of the world. Iíve watched Losey pitch since he was in little league and he is great. Donít know what his speeds are but no matter he is a stud. Not bashing Tipp City by any stretch just donít think they have really had any good tests yet.
Tipp has beaten Green, Ft Walton, and Fairmont handily. They have matchups coming up against CJ, Wapakoneta and Northmont, some of the best programs in the area. As for Losey, I know the kid and his family, I never said he was offered by OSU or Penn State but they showed interest, but wasnít ready to offer, Toledo and Ball State did so he took the spot with Ball State while he could
Old 04-19-18, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Troy is legit this year.
Old 04-19-18, 08:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Troy is legit this year.
No doubt they are good but Butler is not at the same level that they have been the last few years. Tipp is probably gonna have to beat Troy twice to win the league, itís gonna be very interesting
Old 04-19-18, 01:42 PM
Freshman

bseballfan35 is on a distinguished road
CJ run ruled Tipp with Losey on the mound...
Old 04-19-18, 02:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseballfan35 View Post
CJ run ruled Tipp with Losey on the mound...
Yeah Tipp had 7 errors and didnít hit. Bad loss but they are 13-1 right now so I wouldnít put to much into that loss
Old 04-21-18, 07:39 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
No doubt they are good but Butler is not at the same level that they have been the last few years. Tipp is probably gonna have to beat Troy twice to win the league, itís gonna be very interesting
Watch this year ( of all years ) Butler gets to regionals. Baseball is weird like this. I still like Troy this year due to their defense.