Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-01-18, 08:57 AM
All Region

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
If Trail walks, what about Cambridge as a replacement?

For football, shift Newcomerstown to the smaller division (they won't have the local gates they wanted, but they might be able to win some games) to replace Trail and put Cambridge in the big division.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Eliminate the crossovers in football

see if Trail leaves
if so - see if Newc wants to bounce between seasons
check to see if there is ANYONE closer than Cambridge (yuck) as the next addition
I thought Newcomerstown was the catalyst for re-configuring the league in the first place, due to concerns over travel time and wanting to play neighbors. Weren't they threatening to leave the league if they didn't get in with the bigger (southern) schools? I doubt they would agree already to joining the smaller (northern) division.

Also, crossovers might be eliminated after next year, but I think BT will still leave.

What about Harrison Central instead of Cambridge, if BT leaves?
Old 05-01-18, 09:00 AM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
1795 hitting nail on the head
Old 05-01-18, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
I thought Newcomerstown was the catalyst for re-configuring the league in the first place, due to concerns over travel time and wanting to play neighbors. Weren't they threatening to leave the league if they didn't get in with the bigger (southern) schools? I doubt they would agree already to joining the smaller (northern) division.

Also, crossovers might be eliminated after next year, but I think BT will still leave.

What about Harrison Central instead of Cambridge, if BT leaves?
I think that's true, but I'm wondering if Newcomerstown has changed its tune after getting a taste of life in that configuration. I can't see them ever competing with those bigger schools. Even counting money can get old after awhile if you're not winning.
Old 05-01-18, 09:47 AM
All Region

Or, if Newcomerstown refuses to budge from the southern division, maybe Waynedale (Apple Creek) has numbers more in line with the northern division (156) as compared to Harrison Central (235). And, Waynedale is to the north.
Old 05-01-18, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Or, if Newcomerstown refuses to budge from the southern division, maybe Waynedale (Apple Creek) has numbers more in line with the northern division (156) as compared to Harrison Central (235). And, Waynedale is to the north.
I can't envision a school voluntarily leaving the WCAL. That league hasn't had a change in membership since 1970 when Triway left and Hillsdale replaced them. The WCAL is as stable as they come.

Bottom line here is that Cambridge is a "no go?"
Old 05-01-18, 10:23 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
I agree, yuck. We are fine in ECOL and if it folds, we still have OVAC and are fine with that.
Old 05-01-18, 11:49 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I can't envision a school voluntarily leaving the WCAL. That league hasn't had a change in membership since 1970 when Triway left and Hillsdale replaced them. The WCAL is as stable as they come.

Bottom line here is that Cambridge is a "no go?"
Didn't know Waynedale's history with the WCAL had been that long.

Just thought they were a better fit for the IVC than Cambridge. Cambridge is used to playing a tougher schedule than most of the schools in the IVC. Besides, right now we need Cambridge in the ECOL in order to keep it viable!
Old 05-01-18, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

only problem with that 1795 is Cambridge is applying to other leagues as far as ecol is concerned

if there is an opening to the IVC I trust a school or two will definitely apply
Old 05-02-18, 09:59 PM
Varsity

mingua is on a distinguished road
Lots of talk on other sites about a revamped PVC conference forming. Barnesville, River, Shadyside, and Trail all mentioned.
Old 05-09-18, 12:12 PM
All Region

IDK ... seems like something's up at TCC. I might have been wrong about the FB coach/AD not quitting, but I'm not sure because, over the last couple of weeks, I've been getting opposing stories from a few typically-reliable sources. That said, there's a booster club meeting tonight, where the AD (is it Walid or is it Tyrone now?) is going to be there to discuss coaching position updates. Lebron/Ion/styx/Journey, where you at??
Old 05-09-18, 12:19 PM
All Ohio

LOL TCC always seems to be hangin on by a thread in the winter/spring

but then have a full squad for the season

I wouldn't count them out - I would imagine the new coach is out and about trying to build the roster up.......
Old 05-10-18, 01:13 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
I haven’t heard anything, but TCC seems to operates like one of those mattress stores that is always havin a going out of business sale, but never closes. They were able to parlay that narrative into a new football field. IMO though, as long as Dover and Phila and IV and now Claymont have success, TCC will continue to struggle to enroll talented student athletes for football. All else being equal (and it isn’t) I think boys and their fathers would rather they and their sons play for their community, as opposed to just just their school.
Old 05-10-18, 09:07 AM
Varsity

knockout99 is on a distinguished road
Boy I hope not. I sure hope they can field a team. Sorry to hear this.
Old 05-10-18, 08:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Lebron is on a distinguished road
Branch from Newcomerstown going to take over TCC football?
Old 05-10-18, 11:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
Branch from Newcomerstown going to take over TCC football?
Wait a minute ... isn't Josh Branch the principal at Newcomerstown HS and a NHS grad? I think he was also the varsity track coach at one time.
Old 05-11-18, 06:54 AM
Varsity

knockout99 is on a distinguished road
So what happened to Bardawil?
Old 05-11-18, 10:50 AM
All Region

Well, TCC did hire a new VB coach, Kristen Trivoli (TV grad). So, at least the forever-looming school closure doesn't look to be happening next fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout99 View Post
So what happened to Bardawil?
In regard to Bardawil, I am hearing conflicting stories. One source says he is still on staff and the proof lies in his email address being included in internal group emails. However, this source also admits that Bardawil hasn't been seen around the building for a while.

Another source claims that Dover's Ifft read about the recent Open House/FB sign-ups in the TR or in the St. Joe's bulletin (I often see him at church) and that he and Matty Dennison got all pizzy about it, especially considering they saw Bardawil at some Dover and Phila basketball games. Allegedly, the two of them threatened to turn Bardawil in to OHSAA for recruiting violations unless he went quietly away. This source also claims that TCC's boys basketball coach, Tyrone Miller, is currently the interim AD, in place of Bardawil.

The thing is, I have a hard time believing that Dover or Phila would consider Central to be any sort of threat to their programs. Any good student athlete within his/her right mind would choose to be a part of Dover's or Phila's good D2/D3 athletic programs over Central's bad D7 (unless, of course, the parents feel that getting a Catholic education trumps all and are willing to shell out the $5,100 tuition).

Also, why would Ifft want to do anything that would hurt the only Catholic high school in the county, when he himself is a Catholic? Plus, I thought he was an overall advocate of the notion that all boys should have the opportunity to benefit from playing football, no matter where they play. If this rumor is true, a move like this, where Central would be left with no coach and possibly no football program, has the potential to cause Central to shut down sooner rather than later.
Old 05-11-18, 11:30 AM
All Ohio

I am in no way saying any of the claims are false

I agree with the statement that Ifft or Dennison would really say anything about kids going to TCC - I am sure there are kids that would be depth at Dover or NP that would start and make an impact at TCC

Can't blame a coach to be out and about to try to get kids to come to TCC - Are there kids that have left those schools and went to TCC that would have made a difference at Dover or NP? If so then I can see why they would feel threatened - but guessing by the records of TCC as of late - that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 05-11-18, 11:52 AM
All Region

Quote:
Are there kids that have left those schools and went to TCC that would have made a difference at Dover or NP?
No.
Old 05-11-18, 01:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Are there kids that have left those schools and went to TCC that would have made a difference at Dover or NP?
Actually, it's the other way around. There are a few good TCC student athletes who participate in Dover and NP athletics because these programs are not offered at TCC (i.e. soccer, wrestling, tennis) and, when this is the case, the students are permitted to participate in their home school districts. For example, one TCC student athlete just received a college tennis scholarship through playing for Dover's tennis team, and this student's athleticism clearly benefited Dover's team during the season.

Another example that does not involve TCC is in regards to a NP football player, who only played in last year's D-P game and who lived at the Attention Center in NP (which is educationally-serviced by NPCS), rather than reside in his original home school district of Massillon. Apparently, due to poor grades, he was unable to play football, anywhere, during the first quarter grading period. But because Massillon's (and the AC's) first quarter grading period ended a week before Phila's (and gave him the opportunity to begin the second quarter with a clean slate in terms of grades), he became eligible to play for NP during the D-P game. The NP players said he just showed up for practice the week before the big rivalry game. Ultimately, though, because the AC had no football program in place and, technically, the player resided in NP, he was permitted to play for Phila, I guess. This is just what I was told.
Old 05-11-18, 01:21 PM
All Region

Also, many of Dover's and Phila's better football players, throughout the years, have come from TCC's elementary feeder schools.