Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-14-18, 04:07 PM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
I plan on donating my brain for CTE studies, played from 4-12, and 5 years in D II. Only remember a couple of getting my bell rung, but so long ago I played on. I am 48 now.
Old 05-14-18, 07:55 PM
All World

murphy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
I think that we will see the end of youth tackle football much sooner than many want to accept. There is no reason that the kids cannot be taught how to play a game like football without full contact. Reducing contact in youth sports is not detrimental to the development of tough kids and is actually one way to increase the participation levels. Additionally you have so many unqualified coaches at the youth level, and even beyond, that are not teaching proper techniques etc. Since that problem will not be going away anytime soon given the difficulty in funding and locating quality coaches, your next best solution is reduce the amount of trauma inflicted on these kids.

As a parent, former player and coach, I am not sure I want my son playing this sport today and he will not play tackle football until middle school. For those who are saying "We did it and turned out just fine", please realize that game today is not even close to what you had then. Players are stronger, faster and the game is far more violent than ten or twenty years ago. There have been great strides made in protective equipment, but those protections are somewhat negated by the bigger, faster and stronger kids playing the sport.
Very well stated! I would ban full contact until 9th grade(around the age where most weight lifting regimens start.).
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/11/1...chool-football

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-18, 07:25 AM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
^^^
I agree with everything you say except this:

"...the game is far more violent than ten or twenty years ago."

I don't agree with that. There was FAR MORE "full go" in practice than there is now. Some teams never go "full go" during a practice week today.

But I agree with everything else you posted and your point is well-taken.
I guess I should clarify my statement because I agree with your comment as well. I was speaking of the athleticism of the players and increased muscular development leading to more violent collisions and increased injuries. If you look at the NFL, NCAA and even more so in high school, players have evolved into genetically fine-tuned machines that are capable of producing impacts similar to that of a small car wreck. While there have always been the Jack Tatum's and Ronnie Lott's of the NFL, they were more the exception than the rule. Looking specifically at high school, you see an increased emphasis on strength training at younger ages which is producing more athletic players across the board. When the players are bigger, stronger and faster the collisions they produce are directly proportional! This is one of the key contributors, in my opinion, to the increased injuries in the game.
Old 05-16-18, 07:55 AM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
I in no way advocate a ban on youth football ages < 12.
Because in most leagues there is a weight limit, most all smaller kids get a chance at football.

Then you hit jr high football, and a massive shift occurs. It’s not the same game. I was 6’ tall in 6th grade, needless to say I was no where near the limit to play youth ball. There were at least 6 others in my grade in the same way. All those skills that the vets of youth football had did help some what in 7th grade but they fall off very quick.

Bottom line there is no requirement for a youth < 12 to play football in order to be great going forward.

I laugh when people say this grade of boys won the “Super Bowl” in youth league and the expect them to have great high school teams. Doesn’t work that way.
Old 05-16-18, 08:52 AM
Varsity

Bigscarletandgrey is on a distinguished road
Leagues wither have a weight limit or they have a weight limit to carry the ball. There are different leagues out there.
Old 05-16-18, 09:35 AM
All World

murphy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscarletandgrey View Post
Leagues wither have a weight limit or they have a weight limit to carry the ball. There are different leagues out there.
I think neck strength would contribute to concussions more than the weight of the ball carrier.

Old 05-16-18, 03:09 PM
Varsity

Considering most muscle strength gets built during puberty then I would say most youth football players muscles are weak.
Old 05-16-18, 03:11 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy13 View Post
I think neck strength would contribute to concussions more than the weight of the ball carrier.

Neck strength would only help in a whiplash type of concussion. Direct contact or a fall is simply head trauma and could result in a concussion regardless of the neck strength.