Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-30-18, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
2018 State Tournament

Draws were announced, OHSAA has yet to post them on their site but you can find the NEO ones here: http://nedab.org/softball-brackets-results/

A quick observation is that because of geography there are some really unbalanced Districts, maybe its time to balance things out and seed by Region? Also it has to be tough to seed at this time of year because of all the rain outs you don't really have a chance to get a feel for how good a particular team is. Finally there are some head scratching seeds, I find it hard to believe that Hoban is a 5 seed in their District after bringing back a lot of players from a state title appearance in Div II and some solid play in 2018.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-18, 09:38 AM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
I agree it's time to go to Regional seating. As far as Hoban goes they are the number five seed, who would you rank them above in that District? That's one of the problems with the Massillon District it's by far one of the toughest in the state and has been for the last couple decades.
Old 04-30-18, 09:41 AM
Junior Varsity

panther1978 is on a distinguished road
Hoban moved up to D1 and they lost their pitcher to Ashland U. If they were in Barberton they would be a 1 or 2 seed.
Old 04-30-18, 09:58 AM
All District

DR.PITCH
Not convinced they would be seeded ahead of Walsh OR Brunswick
Old 04-30-18, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.PITCH View Post
Not convinced they would be seeded ahead of Walsh OR Brunswick
Hoban lost to Walsh in extra inning with another game to be played; I would guess they would be seeded behind them but they are fairly close in comp level.

As for Massillon seeding of course we will see as they will play the games on the field but is it more the Fed voting for their conference sisters and not giving the proper respect to a former Div II Summit County newbie? While not looking at all the schedules it would be interesting to see if any have played out of conference "name" opponents and how have they done against these teams. That is the best way to seed a tournament draw yet in diamond sports those OOC games that get rained out are never rescheduled so you have no way to get a true feel.
Old 04-30-18, 10:31 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Hoban lost to Walsh in extra inning with another game to be played; I would guess they would be seeded behind them but they are fairly close in comp level.

As for Massillon seeding of course we will see as they will play the games on the field but is it more the Fed voting for their conference sisters and not giving the proper respect to a former Div II Summit County newbie? While not looking at all the schedules it would be interesting to see if any have played out of conference "name" opponents and how have they done against these teams. That is the best way to seed a tournament draw yet in diamond sports those OOC games that get rained out are never rescheduled so you have no way to get a true feel.
Perry and Hoover played in the Wendy's classic. Perry, Hoover, Lake, Glenoak all were in the Prebis Memorial. Perry non conf included splitting with D4 #1 Hillsdale 1 run loss to #2 Louisville and 2-0 loss to D3#1 Warren Champion. So I really don't think you want to talk "NAME" opponents.
Old 04-30-18, 10:32 AM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
Auggie who are going to put Hoban over? Louisville the 1 seed not in the Fed. . 4 seed.. Lake who I think got under seeded with 2 Losses. 2 seed - Perry beat Walsh thus weekend and 3 seed Hoover. Tell me who are you going to put them.above?
Old 04-30-18, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Again it doesn't make a difference as they will all play it off but not a lot of respect for a team that made it the finals in 2017 with some good OOC wins under their belt this year. But then again if looking to balance this thing out what they should have done is move Walsh to Solon, Hoban to Barberton, and Kent Roosevelt to Massillon.
Old 04-30-18, 10:53 AM
Junior Varsity

They moved Wooster out of Massillon to Barberton and added Hoban. Why not just add Hoban to Barberton district.
Old 04-30-18, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther1978 View Post
They moved Wooster out of Massillon to Barberton and added Hoban. Why not just add Hoban to Barberton district.
Because that would make too much sense.

Also a huge difference between the 4 & 5 seed. When they play after dispatching their over-matched opening round opponents it will be Lake at home on their filed with the last AB.
Old 04-30-18, 11:07 AM
Junior Varsity

Well I will tell you this Lake is young and very very good it is a tough match up.
Old 05-02-18, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

Hoban beats Walsh in extra innings yesterday 3-2: https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...-eighth-inning

Basically an even match up with them as the previous game was also extra inning affair with Walsh winning. Also didn't realize how many key contributors for Walsh are Freshmen and Sophs, Yikes.
Old 05-10-18, 06:38 PM
Freshman

Dewey7 is on a distinguished road
Massillon Sectional Finals
Lake 12 Hoban 1 in 6 innings
Louisville 4 Jackson 3
North Canton 8 GlenOak 7
Perry 11 Massillon 0

IMO the seeding was accurate for the D1 Massillon District. Top four seeds in Massillon advanced.

Last edited by Dewey7; 05-10-18 at 07:19 PM..
Old 05-10-18, 07:19 PM
Varsity

TRUE BLUE DAD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Because that would make too much sense.

Also a huge difference between the 4 & 5 seed. When they play after dispatching their over-matched opening round opponents it will be Lake at home on their filed with the last AB
I guess technically Lake did need their last at bat to win the game...12-1 but that last at bat came in the 6th.

Last edited by TRUE BLUE DAD; 05-10-18 at 08:53 PM..
Old 05-11-18, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUE BLUE DAD View Post
I guess technically Lake did need their last at bat to win the game...12-1 but that last at bat came in the 6th.
Guess so.

Not sure if Hoban's early exit shows a huge difference between Div I & II or Summit vs. Stark County. Or maybe their pitcher LY was that good?
Old 05-11-18, 08:23 AM
All Ohio

Airborne88 is on a distinguished road
Talking

I think it shows competitive balance is working. Now the private school will have to recruit even harder!!
Old 05-11-18, 08:33 AM
Varsity

TRUE BLUE DAD is on a distinguished road
Not sure about D1 v D2 but for sure Stark v Summit and definitely Lake's pitcher. LeBeau is special & she's got 8 very good players around her. Their young, should be a fun group to watch the next few years.
Old 05-11-18, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne88 View Post
I think it shows competitive balance is working. Now the private school will have to recruit even harder!!
Are you kidding me? This team sport more than any other is dominated by the pubs. Outside of Walsh in 2016 how many state titles have the privates won in the last 10 years? If anything this sport shows that other factors than enrollment drawing area should be considered if looking for true competitive balance.
Old 05-11-18, 10:06 AM
Freshman

Dewey7 is on a distinguished road
Auggie I agree. The public systems dominate in Softball for state championships. Just curious if you were you at the Game? What other pitchers did Hoban face that were the caliber of Lakes? Lebeau is really good but that’s pitching Stark county (federal league) teams face on regular basis.

It wasn’t the doubt of giving Hoban respect for a runner up performance last year, its the fact of all the talent that exists in the Federal League and Louisville for the Massillon district. Just between the top 4 seeds there is 5 Division 1 college commits for pitching. Plus another for GlenOak.

I wish they would split the Massillon District up. Move Green, Lake, and Hoban to Barberton. Distance is better for Green, same for Lake, and better for Hoban. To have to play Perry, North Canton, and Louisville multiple times in the reg and post Season is crazy! IMO I believe someone from the Massillon District should be in the final 4 if not champions for the next few years.

Hoban has some Great players but if you don’t face pitching like that routinely the girls will definitely have a hard time. Whitmore battled against future KSU teammates in Lippe (C) and Lebeau. She was the smoothest SS I’ve seen this year in HS. I look forward to catching some KSU games with all the local girls that Coach Oakley is recruiting in the coming years.
Old 05-11-18, 02:40 PM
All Ohio

Public schools definitely have the advantage in softball. Not sure why. Would be good to understand that. But, you have to take all sports into account.

The Fed is clearly the best league. It could make more sense to split them up for their district. However, it definitely gets the kids ready for the next level of play. Most the time you don't get to see that level of play consistently in HS.
Old 05-11-18, 08:45 PM
All Region

mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne88 View Post
Public schools definitely have the advantage in softball. Not sure why. Would be good to understand that.
Bigotry. Plain and simple.

If the Catholic schools would go out and recruit some muscular young lesbians they would dominate in softball the way they do in boys sports.

They won't now and never will, therefore they will continue to take the backseat in softball.

They're ok with it.
Old 05-12-18, 08:24 AM
Freshman

icemike is on a distinguished road
My take is simple. Families know for their daughters to play at schools that are of the quality that the Federal league presents, they must pursue top level summer club teams. If you would look at teams like Lake/Hoover etc.. you would find most contributors play for teams like the Wolfpack/Ice/Lasers and Outlaws in the summer. Combine this with seeing really good competition in your league every game prepares you to succeed in the state tournament. They set the bar high and those that want to play rise to it.
Old 05-12-18, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post
Bigotry. Plain and simple.

If the Catholic schools would go out and recruit some muscular young lesbians they would dominate in softball the way they do in boys sports.

They won't now and never will, therefore they will continue to take the backseat in softball.

They're ok with it.

You nailed it.
Old 05-15-18, 08:19 AM
All Ohio

Couldn't agree more!! To win the big games, you have to play in a lot of big games. So many leagues are a smattering of good, bad, and ugly that players struggle to consistently hit or pitch against top level talent. You see it when a kid goes 4 for 4 against a week team and 0-4 against a good team. Kenny Linn at Tallmadge HS baseball has a reputation of going out to find the absolute toughest competition he can and getting his butt kicked all year in non-league games, but when tournament time rolls around his boys are always ready. Not enough of that happens.
Old 05-15-18, 08:58 AM
All Ohio

Ranked Teams with early exits

Marysville #2 in recent poll and top seeded in Pickerington 4 district, lost 14-5 to #19 Westerville Central

Central Crossing #7 in polls, #2 seed in Pickerington 1 districnt lost 3-0 to #18 seeded Reynoldsburg

Groveport Madison, #9 in poll and #4 seed in Pickerington 3 district with 7-3 loss to Gahanna Lincoln
Old 05-18-18, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

Not been a good tourney for the top seeds from Summit County either. Top seeded teams like Walsh, Revere, and Tallmadge all were bounced before the District finals. Also defending Div I champ, Elyria, needed 9 innings to get by a tough Amherst Steele side. One and done in this sport is a tough proposition.