Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-10-18, 10:44 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Here's my take on the whole Chagrin Valley Conference situation.

Nothing against Brooklyn, but IMO, it makes a lot more sense for them to be a part of the Great Lakes Conference. With membership there, it would be a 10-team conference (with the addition of Buckeye and Fairview). If Buckeye (Division III, Region 8) was able to get in, being the lone Medina County school in an all-Cuyahoga County conference, makes me wonder if Brooklyn was turned down when they tried to reach out. It also makes sense from a geographical standpoint as well. That's just my 0.02.

Lutheran West being in the CVC is a bit of an outlier, and would split the conference into three different tiers of seven teams, so I can see why it makes sense for them to be there, even being a Westside school. They would be the smallest school in the GLC and not be very competitive at all.

But I do agree that the dominoes are going to fall once again conference wise.

The NCL should try to reach out to Lutheran East IMO. That conference would make a lot of sense, and would be a good fit sports-wise.

And will the Pac-12 simply become the Pac-8, with just the Lorain County schools?

And blackandgold, why did Lakeside leave the conference in the first place?
Old 05-11-18, 07:44 AM
Go Black and Gold!

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
Sorry! Somehow I'm not understanding the question you're asking me. Do you mean Lakeside leaving the AAC?
Old 05-11-18, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

PGEMF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
Here's my take on the whole Chagrin Valley Conference situation.

Nothing against Brooklyn, but IMO, it makes a lot more sense for them to be a part of the Great Lakes Conference. With membership there, it would be a 10-team conference (with the addition of Buckeye and Fairview). If Buckeye (Division III, Region 8) was able to get in, being the lone Medina County school in an all-Cuyahoga County conference, makes me wonder if Brooklyn was turned down when they tried to reach out. It also makes sense from a geographical standpoint as well. That's just my 0.02.

Lutheran West being in the CVC is a bit of an outlier, and would split the conference into three different tiers of seven teams, so I can see why it makes sense for them to be there, even being a Westside school. They would be the smallest school in the GLC and not be very competitive at all.

But I do agree that the dominoes are going to fall once again conference wise.

The NCL should try to reach out to Lutheran East IMO. That conference would make a lot of sense, and would be a good fit sports-wise.

And will the Pac-12 simply become the Pac-8, with just the Lorain County schools?

Brooklyn is D6 in football. They would not have been a good fit in the GLC.
Old 05-11-18, 11:32 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Mr. Red Raider:

Lots of your questions are answered within the thread.

It would have been irrational for Brooklyn to reach out to the GLC. Being independent was a better option than that one in my opinion. Their enrollment is so much smaller than anyone else in that league.

Lutheran West is slightly bigger than Brooklyn but still smaller than Fairview, which is going to be the smallest school in the GLC as they join that league -- tangentially that league is more a "collection pit" than a stable conference in my opinion.

For both of those teams, this new CVC structure is/was going to be the best thing for them based on the current landscape of available options. As per the article, football in the CVC is three tiers (one group eight, two groups of seven with the groups of seven having one crossover against each other), all other sports will have four divisions.

Lakeside left their conference because they are non-competitive within it and the travel distances aren't convenient either.
Old 05-12-18, 12:31 AM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the clarification, bucksman.

I think that no matter what conference Lakeside is in, they're gonna have to do a lot of travelling either way. Wasn't the closest school about 30 minutes away when they were in their old conference?
Old 05-12-18, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs22p View Post

Next up...Fairview. Their former league mates (Brooklyn & Lutheran West) just found a home in the CVC. So what do they do? My best guess is the Great Lakes Conference. Which is kinda a hodgepodge league anyway so they would fit right in. Since it seems Medina Buckeye is set on trying to join the Ohio Cardinal Conference instead of the Great Lakes Conference this bodes well for Fairview to the GLC.
GLC a kinda hodgepodge league......Please Explain!

Rocky River
Bay
Holy Name
Elyria Catholic
Valley Forge
Normandy
Parma

New Additions:
Fairview
Medina Buckeye

Hmmmm?
Old 05-12-18, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Lutheran West is slightly bigger than Brooklyn but still smaller than Fairview, which is going to be the smallest school in the GLC as they join that league -- tangentially that league is more a "collection pit" than a stable conference in my opinion.
Maybe you have a better answer.....GLC is a "collection pit"?

What does that mean?
Old 05-13-18, 10:48 AM
All American

hoophi55
Is Newbury closing after the 2018-19 school yr. Is that the reason that Newbury is not in any part of this new league?
Old 05-13-18, 03:49 PM
All Ohio

Mathews99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoophi55 View Post
Is Newbury closing after the 2018-19 school yr. Is that the reason that Newbury is not in any part of this new league?
Newbury is currently a member of the Northeastern Athletic Conference... I believe they are happy where they are at...
Old 05-13-18, 07:36 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld View Post
Maybe you have a better answer.....GLC is a "collection pit"?

What does that mean?
Rocky River and Bay were originally SWC schools, moved down when the WSC formed, then became too small when the top enrollments of the WSC moved up to the SWC. They were too big for the PAC before it broke down.

The Parma schools were left stranded with the breakup of the NOC into several pieces

Holy Name and Elyria Catholic are former NCL members unhappy there. Elyria Catholic had actually left the NCL for the WSC before the top part of the WSC joined the SWC.

Buckeye and Fairview were left without a home when the PAC exiled them. Fairview went from the WSC to the PAC because they were too small for the WSC (though they may have went to the PAC when the top of the WSC joined the SWC, with Rocky River and Bay not being included in that)
Old 05-14-18, 02:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Rocky River and Bay were originally SWC schools, moved down when the WSC formed, then became too small when the top enrollments of the WSC moved up to the SWC. They were too big for the PAC before it broke down.

The Parma schools were left stranded with the breakup of the NOC into several pieces

Holy Name and Elyria Catholic are former NCL members unhappy there. Elyria Catholic had actually left the NCL for the WSC before the top part of the WSC joined the SWC.

Buckeye and Fairview were left without a home when the PAC exiled them. Fairview went from the WSC to the PAC because they were too small for the WSC (though they may have went to the PAC when the top of the WSC joined the SWC, with Rocky River and Bay not being included in that)
Got it....

I think this league will be pretty unique in that when the Parma Schools combine at some point, you will have 2 D-I schools all the way down to D-V in football with Elyria Catholic. But I believe EC will still be competitive and battle tested in the league (playoffs) even when that happens.

Sorry, didn't mean to get CVC off topic!