Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-01-18, 08:58 AM
All District

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Crow Hopping/illegal pitches

My daughter's Jr. High team faced a pitcher last night who crow hopped on literally almost every pitch. It was bad enough that the toes of her back foot would literally come 4"-6" off the ground on every pitch. Our coach went out and talked to the ump and he then went out to the mound and explained what she was doing was an illegal pitch.. She corrected it for a pitch or 2 and then continued to do it for the rest of the game with no illegal pitches called. Her coach didn't say a word and didn't even come to the mound when the umpire went out to talk to her.

Why do some umps feel as they have the authority to overlook this rule and call their own game? A rule is a rule, and if you're going to pick and choose what rules you're going to abide or not abide by then you shouldn't be umpiring. If this girl comes up against an ump who chooses to do their job correctly she won't last 3 batters.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 10:00 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
It would be nice if the umpires called it correctly to get it out of the game. Also wish pitching coaches would stop teaching it.

Overheard a 30 year pitching coach watching a young pitcher doing it on every pitch and said "that's not even close to being called." Basically was saying as long as they can get away with it, continue to coach it.
Old 05-01-18, 11:16 AM
All Region

mikedyer is on a distinguished road
I wasn't there to see it, but I've had people tell me a pitch was illegal and the only thing I saw that was "illegal" about it was that their kids couldn't hit it.

There are rules. Illegal pitches are actual things. No one does anyone any favors when they point out things as being illegal when they are only "illegal."
Old 05-01-18, 11:51 AM
All District

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post
I wasn't there to see it, but I've had people tell me a pitch was illegal and the only thing I saw that was "illegal" about it was that their kids couldn't hit it.

There are rules. Illegal pitches are actual things. No one does anyone any favors when they point out things as being illegal when they are only "illegal."
No sour grapes here, our girls hit the pitcher, that's not the point. As I stated they were blatant crow hops, if you wish not to take my word for it, then fine. Why have rules if you're not going to enforce them? Either don't have the rule at all, or enforce the rule, that is all.

If a slap hitter is out of the batters box when she makes contact on a hit, should the batter not be called out as the rules would state, or you let it go because it would only be pointing out something illegal?
Old 05-01-18, 12:13 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post

The girl that I saw doing it was very obvious. She jumped about 3 inches in the air forward about a foot. What made it obvious was that she was landing on the ball of her foot and then pushing off a second time.

In this video, the first example is how she was pitching:

Old 05-02-18, 08:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
Either don't have the rule at all, or enforce the rule, that is all.

If a slap hitter is out of the batters box when she makes contact on a hit, should the batter not be called out as the rules would state, or you let it go because it would only be pointing out something illegal?
Um...

Did you read and understand my post?

It looks to me like you figure "I wasn't there to see it, but...."

is some strange way of saying "You are a liar. Let's argue about slap hitting or whatever now."
Old 05-03-18, 12:08 PM
All District

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
I think what's on that video is a little more drastic than what you normally see and what pitching coaches tend to overlook. More likely you will see what's called the "Jenny Finch hop" which is usually about 6-8" and then go. It is rarely called and widely used by successful pitchers. Just watch Kelly Barnhill from Florida, she has been called for it several times this year and still does it many times in a game.
Old 05-05-18, 05:50 AM
All Region

A couple of years ago there was a kid who would jump after she landed and threw the ball.

No idea why she was doing it. Looked goofy. Not illegal.
Old 05-09-18, 08:41 AM
All District

City Slicker is on a distinguished road
Definitely frustrating for sure. Two times we've played a league game and the pitcher literally lifted her back foot (leaped) 4-6" on 95% of her pitches. In the first game, there was only one umpire so there was nothing that could be done. In the second game, there were two umpires. We asked about it in the first & second innings and the umpire's response each time was "she's throwing a good game."

I am not saying that it would've made a difference in the outcome of the game at all. We got smashed both games. I just don't know why this was not called on her? Why are the umpires choosing which rules to enforce?

On a side note, in the 3rd inning, the plate ump came to me and said that "it's illegal to have the bat weight in the on-deck circle." I said "so is leaping off of the rubber on every pitch."
Old 05-09-18, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
A quick related question, what is the current HS ruling with regards to having both feet touch the rubber at the start of the pitching motion? We have seen a couple girls this year have their off foot a good distance behind the rubber and use this to give them more forward inertia as they head into the wind up. The pitching coaches I am familiar with always had both feet on the rubber as an important part of their initial lessons as that is what the rule is. Has something changed or are these girls just getting away with this and umps are not paying close attention as they are more worried about other things going on around the diamond?
Old 05-09-18, 12:26 PM
All District

City Slicker is on a distinguished road
The NFHS changed the rule (6-1-2b) to allow the pitcher to step back with the non-pivot foot this year.