Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-06-18, 08:55 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
The value of Multi-sport Athletes

This years Gilmour boyís and girls might not be the best teams we have ever had. But, Multi Sport Athletes have made us a much better then we would have been without them.

Anika Corcoran Long jump 16-11.25 sprinter....starting B.B. point guard

CJ Charleston Long Jump 22-05 sprinter basketball Starting point guard and football wideout

Andre Rodgers 21-9. 100 meters 11.2 200 22.8 JV basketball

Madeline Finotti Long jump 16-00 hurdler JV basketball

The reason Iím bringing this up is because of the value of multi-sport athletes running track and field. We have always had soccer players running on our XC teams. And a (few) football players. Now we have to work on the hockey and volleyball teams.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-18, 06:09 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
If we dont have kids from other sports in track.....track dies. I guess public schools need it more than private schools
Old 05-07-18, 12:56 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in full agreement with you on the value track brings to your athletes from other sports. We here at Coventry rely heavily on football and some soccer players (as well as cross country runners) for much of our teams ability to compete. Oftentimes, the athleticism that these kids develop from other sports mean that they can come out for track, and start having an immediate impact.

To date, Coventry has had 5 students go on to play football at division 1 in the past 5 years, all of whom did track. Out of our senior football class, 9 will be going on to be playing in college. 6 of whom ran track. Outside of our QB Steven Locher (Walsh U), most of our best players ran track.

You say you should work on the Volleyball and Hockey teams. I would recommend working on the wrestling team, if that can be done. Coventry has struggled to get wrestlers onto the track, but every single one is an instant stud. I know a kid whos done track every year, was ok, but not great. He tried out wrestling for the first time this season. He is a completely different kid on the track this year. I promise you if I could get every kid on the Coventry track team out for wrestling, and every wrestler out for the track team, I can promise you Coventry wins a state championship in track in the next 5 years.. Wrestlers are really that athletic. My recommendation.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 05-07-18 at 04:16 AM..
Old 05-07-18, 05:46 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
This just in...Good athletes from other sports can help your track team be better.

Well, you could've knocked me over with a feather!
Old 05-07-18, 06:25 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
It news to us this year Slippery because it just doesn’t happen here. We often can get the fringe athletes out but not the blue chippers. We don’t have wrestling here at Gilmour. But, we do have a Prep Hockey boy’s team, a Prep Hockey Girls team, A Varsity A boy’s team, and a Varsity B boy’s team...that’s a lot of hockey for a school this side. And it’s rare that any of them step foot on the track. We do have an outstanding girl middle distance runner transfer who is playing hockey at Miami in the fall.
Old 05-07-18, 08:47 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Old 05-07-18, 09:14 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
This just in...Good athletes from other sports can help your track team be better.

Well, you could've knocked me over with a feather!
And I'd argue that it goes the other way too. WR and DBs can benefit in the fall from their speed workouts in the spring. Basketball players can increase their endurance and stamina for late in the game by running track and/or cross country.
Old 05-07-18, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Single sport isolation has helped our Men's Soccer team make huge strides the last 20 years. As a results our men's soccer National Team which had less than 10% multi sport athletes have started winning multiple World Cups the last 2 decades.

Comparatively the Women's team had over 90% multi-sport athletes on the National Team and have started to decline and did not make the current world cup.
Old 05-07-18, 11:57 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
I think you have this reversed.
I'm pretty sure he was being sardonic.
Old 05-07-18, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
It news to us this year Slippery because it just doesnít happen here. We often can get the fringe athletes out but not the blue chippers. We donít have wrestling here at Gilmour. But, we do have a Prep Hockey boyís team, a Prep Hockey Girls team, A Varsity A boyís team, and a Varsity B boyís team...thatís a lot of hockey for a school this side. And itís rare that any of them step foot on the track. We do have an outstanding girl middle distance runner transfer who is playing hockey at Miami in the fall.
I know how it is. Weíve had years where our baseball team couldíve fielded a faster 4x1 than our track team. My point is it should come as no shock that a good athlete can help another sportís team. Good athletes are good athletes no matter the sport. For example, St. Thomas grad Jacob Paul plays hoops at Mt. Vernon Nazarene. He also still runs under 2:00 in the 800 without doing any training beyond outdoor track season. Straight athleticism, homey!