Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-01-18, 03:06 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Semi-interesting result in Central Ohio, last night

On April 13th, Berne Union beat Columbus Wellington (on the road) 18-3 in five innings. The Rockets amassed an incredible 21 hits in the outing. Wellington, at the time, was in sixth place while Berne Union was in sole possession of first place in the MSL-Cardinal. (Pay attention to this detail...)

Fast forward to last night...

Berne hosts Wellington for the return trip. Wellington beats BU 11-10, thanks to two grand slams. Simultaneously, in Grove City, was the game that determined if Berne Union was going to clinch a share of the MSL title in baseball or not, as Fisher Cath was playing GCC. If FC won, three-way split as all three teams would've had two losses each (since they would have all split against each other) to tie for first. FC beats GCC, and everyone at the park is walking to the cars thinking that a 3-way split was solidified (because no one in their right mind would've predicted Wellington to beat Berne.) Nope!

As for the "who cares?" - not often you get to see two grand slams in one game, not often you get to see a team who loses a league game by 15 runs to an opponent the first time around come back to avenge themselves in the second game, and definitely not often you get to see both instances happening in the same game.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 03:42 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
That is pretty amazing.

Had a similar result in NEO:

2018-04-10 Tallmadge 17, Kent Roosevelt 1
2018-04-18 Kent Roosevelt 5, Tallmadge 4

Tallmadge is the defending DII state champions and has a good chance to repeat. Certainly didn't expect the second outcome after the first. But I will say that this happens more in baseball than any other sport due to pitching matchups.
Old 05-03-18, 12:23 PM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Ive seen this happen more often than you'd think

Game 1: Team A beats Team B by 10 or more runs, game isn't close at all
Game 2: Team B narrowly defeats Team A

All depends on pitching and the mindset of the kids. I've seen where team B doesn't throw their best pitcher until game 2 hoping that team A throws their best guy game 1, knowing that Team A is the better team. I've done the same thing as a coach. I've also been on the other side of it, where a team I was coaching destroyed a team one game and I started a pitcher that might have been my 3rd, 4th or even 5th best starter the next game against them knowing that my offense would just outscore them if that pitcher gave up runs. Then the other team comes out with their Ace and I have my 4th best pitcher going, next thing you know it's 4-3 in the 7th and we are in trouble. I'm not saying team B gave up the 1st game, but once Team A was up big, team B decides to save it's best pitching for the 2nd game. Plus, players on Team A start to become lacksidasical and try to sleepwalk through game 2 knowing they just beat Team B handily (look at what happened to the Houston Rockets against the Pelicans game 2, different sport but similar situation). Kids are kids after all and baseball is a funny sport where the best team doesn't always win........
Old 05-04-18, 08:37 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
That is pretty amazing.

Had a similar result in NEO:

2018-04-10 Tallmadge 17, Kent Roosevelt 1
2018-04-18 Kent Roosevelt 5, Tallmadge 4

Tallmadge is the defending DII state champions and has a good chance to repeat. Certainly didn't expect the second outcome after the first. But I will say that this happens more in baseball than any other sport due to pitching matchups.
I was surprised by the outcome of the second game too but to my understanding Kent threw a couple young pitchers the first time and their Ace who I hear is very tough the second game.
Old 05-07-18, 06:05 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
I was surprised by the outcome of the second game too but to my understanding Kent threw a couple young pitchers the first time and their Ace who I hear is very tough the second game.
Most schools have at least 1 ace who could give most teams (even a defending state champ) trouble. That's why it's surprising, but only if you don't know who is pitching. If that kid could pitch every game, they'd be state champs too!!!!