Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-18, 10:28 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
So you never said what was the format of this "regular meet" that you originally complained about? Was it a weekday tri meet on an 8 lane track? I can understand your complaint. Was it a 14 team invitational on a 6 lane track? That's going to take a while.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-18, 12:54 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I'm just confused. CC609 complains about 4 to 5 hour meets being "ridiculous" and then brags about his meet only taking 4 hours. A meet that did not have finals in the 100's, short hurdles, 200's and did not run the 3200's. Yes, they ran extra sections of the 4x100's, 4x200's and 4x400's, but those are a wash time wise with the sections of finals that they did not run. Then the 3200's get added and his meet would have been at the 4hour and 30 min mark.

I do not understand how weather has anything to do with running a meet faster. Our kids move a lot faster getting into blocks etc, when in bad weather. I would think bad weather helps speed a meet along.

FAT and technology are not going to speed up weekday dual/ double dual meets. We can do it by hand faster.

We run a very large meet at the end of the season with extra sections of the 3200's , 1600's and 800's... I honestly think the pole vault takes longer than the entire meet. It's almost always the last event done. We put starting heights at something nearly every kid makes, but that doesn't seem to make that much of a difference from when we had higher starting heights. 5 or ten minute difference.

We will be at a meet this weekend that the PV has been the last event finished every year I can remember. And that is with starting heights that get rid of half the competitors right off the bat.

I just don't see how complaining about 4 hour meets makes sense when you run a meet that takes 4 hours. Is it just me? It's like conversations with my kids when they were 3 years old. At least the kids were cute and funny.
Old 04-19-18, 07:59 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I do not understand how weather has anything to do with running a meet faster. Our kids move a lot faster getting into blocks etc, when in bad weather. I would think bad weather helps speed a meet along.
In my experience, athletes have more layers to shed and tend to keep them on longer in the cold and rain. On a nice day, they often shed their final layers as the heat in front of them is setting blocks. On a cold day, they want to set their blocks and then shed their layers and then take a runout.

I try to limit this by at least telling them to remove their warm-up bottoms while the previous heat/section is setting blocks. If your athletes move faster in the cold, they are the exception. The truth is most people move slower in the cold.
Old 04-19-18, 11:39 AM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Too much time is spent setting up blocks, the meet director should have 2 sets of blocks available. One for the heat that is running and one that is set up and ready to go for the heat on deck. This would speed up things immensely. In the hurdles kids should get one run out and that is it. I watched a meet this week where several kids did two run outs prior to the heat actually starting. Coaches also need to do a better job of figuring out who to put in the 4 x 800, 1600 and 3200. I watched the slower heat of the 1600 this past week and there was a young lady that took an additional 3-4 minutes after the next to last person finished to run her final lap. This kid should have never been placed in the 1600. Same thing goes for 4 x 800 why put 4 people in the event that run 4 minute 800s, this isnt fair to the kids or the other competitors. There is nothing competitive about getting lapped multiple times in the 4 x 800 relay or the 3200. Set a minimum standard and if you dont have anyone that meets it then dont enter anyone. Coaching is done at practice, if your kids dont know how to set up their blocks in a timely fashion on meet day then it is the coaches fault.
Old 04-20-18, 07:48 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Not sure I want to say which kids deserve to compete and which ones don't. It's all relative. There were other threads where someone was happy about a kid running a time in the hurdles that was a school record. I ran as fast or faster than the record they were so happy about and it got me moved to the 800. CC609 was happy about his kid setting a 5k school record. I would have lapped his kid and beat him by 2 minutes and I'm at best second best in my schools history. I might be 5th. I think we would agree that those kids deserve to be on the track even though in some cases they are overmatched.

If a kid is working hard in practice and doing all that is asked of them, they should be able to compete when possible. Coaches need to make judgements. Not every girl that runs the 1600 has sub 5:00 ability. If a girl is 7:00 in ability and she's running near there, then what is the harm of letting her run?

If a kid is the last one to come in and is 2 minutes behind the next finisher, there is a lot that can get done so that as soon as she/he crosses the line, the next gun is fired seconds later.

We used to have a kid that had some elaborate run out routine and took forever to get into the blocks. He was never last into the blocks. All this BS he did that irritated us as coaches and he was outdone every meet. We had another kid that just stood behind his blocks and did nothing but jump up once. He waited until everyone else went through all their backing into the blocks and this and that and then he would step forward and get into the blocks just before the last kids were in theirs. Same result, completely different approach and one kid drove me nuts and the other was my example to everyone else of how to do it. Again, it's relative.

Once again, we rarely go to meets where the running of the 4x400 is much after the end of the last field event unless it's a championship meet where some of the field events are concluded on prelim day.

Meets take what they take and we all know what a well run meet is and I've been at poorly run meets that are shorter than very well run meets with many teams. I expect my entire Saturday to be consumed with track and field, so 3 hours or 5 hours is not much of a difference to me.

Dual meets during the week get irritating when they go long, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 04-25-18, 09:42 AM
All District

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
I think they try to run some meets too fast. I want to see the kids get a break and run at their peak performance. I've saw timers get mad at kids for taking their time fixing their blocks. I've also seen kids tweak muscles because they take their warm ups off to early because they think they have to be ready as soon as the timer is ready. Heck I use to take two starts out of the blocks with my pants on before the timer would say, ok warm ups off.

If you don't like the pace of the meets leave or don't go. Heck you have the world in the palm of your hand with your smart phone. Everyone is in a hurry to go home and sit on the couch. I try to enjoy every moment of my kids sports career.
Old 04-25-18, 10:08 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM Panthers View Post
I think they try to run some meets too fast. I want to see the kids get a break and run at their peak performance. I've saw timers get mad at kids for taking their time fixing their blocks. I've also seen kids tweak muscles because they take their warm ups off to early because they think they have to be ready as soon as the timer is ready. Heck I use to take two starts out of the blocks with my pants on before the timer would say, ok warm ups off.

If you don't like the pace of the meets leave or don't go. Heck you have the world in the palm of your hand with your smart phone. Everyone is in a hurry to go home and sit on the couch. I try to enjoy every moment of my kids sports career.
1. There isnt a rule that you have to do more than 1 event or the max of 4. If you like peak performance then have kids run 2 and they get plenty of rest.
2. you dont know if a kid "tweaked" something because of clothing.
Old 04-27-18, 02:25 PM
All District

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
1. There isnt a rule that you have to do more than 1 event or the max of 4. If you like peak performance then have kids run 2 and they get plenty of rest.
2. you dont know if a kid "tweaked" something because of clothing.
In CC, 800, 1600 or the 3200 you don't have to run full blast from start to end. That's usually when kids pull or tweak muscle. I've never seen a kid pull a muscle in the mile or 800. Yes, the main reason a kid tweak or pull a muscle is when its cold out or if they don't go get there pants on after a race or take them of too soon before a race. Also if they don't stretch properly before a race, stretching warms your muscles up. Watch all the good sprints as soon as there done run they will walk back and put the pants on. Even in 90 degree weather good sprinters keep there pants on all day. Also no matter what type of weather a good sprinter will break sweet before a race.

Teams depend on good runners, running in 4 events for points for there team. Now your telling them to run half as much.
Old 04-27-18, 08:02 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Speaking of 5 hour meets, I wonder how long it will take to conduct the Wayne Invitational tonight and how many, if any, complaints will follow.