Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-18, 01:14 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,288
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Texas Wesleyan coach won't recruit Colorado players, citing drug tests

I thought this was interesting. A Manager at a private, Christian college in Texas has made a decision and he is getting roasted on ESPN as they call him idiotic and call for suspensions and firings. What do you think...

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-01-18, 01:18 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,288
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Apparently he's been fired in the last few minutes:

Quote:
The head baseball coach at Texas Wesleyan University has been fired, university president Fred Slabach said Thursday morning in a press conference. The firing came only a day after a descriminatry email from the coach, Mike Jeffcoat, went viral on Twitter.
https://patch.com/texas/dallas-ftwor...minatory-email
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-18, 01:25 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,071
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
I guess they found weed in his car. And a dead hooker.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-18, 01:45 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty dumb move on his part. He's representing the university in his position, he did a poor job at that, and now he's fired. Hopefully making a political statement by being a to 17 year olds who wanted to play for his program was worth it to him.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-18, 02:05 PM
SWMCinci SWMCinci is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-20-07
Location: Outside of Ohio..... Now
Posts: 18,166
SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Hope he gets a full payout on his contract. It wasn't a stupid statement, the university decided on the criteria for admission, he was wasting his time and university money trying to find qualified players that came from Colorado.

It's sad when we can't say what is needed to be said because we are afraid of offending people and getting protest tweets.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-18, 02:09 PM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,760
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
LOL, saving the college money, and they fire him. Typical liberals snowflakes, only they are free to express their thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-18, 02:57 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,723
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Actions have consequences, as many would say on here.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-18, 03:17 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,071
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
I think the "thank your liberal politicians" is what cinched it for him, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-18, 03:24 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,226
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Curious to see what the NAIA investigation was and if that played a part into him being fired.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-18, 03:29 PM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 6,805
zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Curious to see what the NAIA investigation was and if that played a part into him being fired.
Why?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-01-18, 03:54 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,288
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
This looks like a kid that reached out to the coach trying to get recruited. So it would have been OK if the coach would have said:

"we don't recruit Colorado because they don't play good baseball"
"we don't recruit Colorado because there is not enough warm weather to develop players we are looking for."
"we don't recruit Colorado because because Colorado law allows businesses and municipalities to refuse service to gay couples" (Sorry, that's New York about Mississippi)

He may not have said it the best way but with the limited budget and limited number of scholarships, is it really that big of a deal that he chooses not to recruit from an area that he doesn't believe will help his team? Maybe he focuses on bringing in talent from Texas, Florida, California or any other baseball hotspot. Why waste the money and effort on an area that he sees as a dead end?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-01-18, 03:55 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,723
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Apparently the school thought it was a big enough deal to fire him.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-01-18, 04:00 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,288
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Apparently the school thought it was a big enough deal to fire him.
I don't think they fired him because of what he said. If it was never released publicly, the administrators of the school probably would have just gotten a good chuckle out of it.

It was the politically correct backlash that got him fired. There have been plenty of casualties in the PC war. Mike Jeffcoat is just the most recent.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-01-18, 04:07 PM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 15,435
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
This looks like a kid that reached out to the coach trying to get recruited. So it would have been OK if the coach would have said:

"we don't recruit Colorado because they don't play good baseball"
"we don't recruit Colorado because there is not enough warm weather to develop players we are looking for."
"we don't recruit Colorado because because Colorado law allows businesses and municipalities to refuse service to gay couples" (Sorry, that's New York about Mississippi)

He may not have said it the best way but with the limited budget and limited number of scholarships, is it really that big of a deal that he chooses not to recruit from an area that he doesn't believe will help his team? Maybe he focuses on bringing in talent from Texas, Florida, California or any other baseball hotspot. Why waste the money and effort on an area that he sees as a dead end?
If he doesn't make it political he probably still has his job. Not sure why you're ignoring that aspect of it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-01-18, 04:08 PM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,596
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
It was the politically correct backlash that got him fired. There have been plenty of casualties in the PC war. Mike Jeffcoat is just the most recent.
I'm not seeing "we don't recruit states where stinkin' lib-rulz are in charge" as being politically correct. If someone who worked for me that has authority to hire would have done this, I'd fire them too.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-01-18, 04:14 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,440
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Almost all of the players on the roster are from Texas. There is one guy from out of state that kid of sticks out, though.
He's a freshman. Guess which state he's from?
Yes......Colorado.

You can't make this stuff up.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-01-18, 04:16 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
"we don't recruit Colorado because because Colorado law allows businesses and municipalities to refuse service to gay couples"
If a coach in Ohio replied to a HS recruit "We are not recruiting players from Mississippi because in the past they've been too bigoted to fit in with our team. You can thank your conservative politicians. Best of luck"

Would you have objected to one or both of the following A.) the kid making the message public B.) the school terminating him
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-01-18, 04:20 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
I'm not seeing "we don't recruit states where stinkin' lib-rulz are in charge" as being politically correct. If someone who worked for me that has authority to hire would have done this, I'd fire them too.
Yep. His job is largely to represent the school in a positive manner. He failed at that pretty miserably here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Almost all of the players on the roster are from Texas. There is one guy from out of state that kid of sticks out, though.
He's a freshman. Guess which state he's from?
Yes......Colorado.

You can't make this stuff up.
Good find. Sounds like this wasn't actually his policy then, rather this kid likely wasn't good enough to play for them and the coach decided to use that to make a political statement about marijuana legalization. Pretty dumb on his part.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-01-18, 04:52 PM
fish82 fish82 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Secure
Posts: 13,304
fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Whenever I feel that I need some rational political insight, my go-to source is always some random meathead NAIA baseball coach.








I'm kidding. It's not.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-01-18, 05:00 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,440
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Whenever I feel that I need some rational political insight, my go-to source is always some random meathead NAIA baseball coach.








I'm kidding. It's not.
Oh, stop being so politically correct.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-01-18, 05:11 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,288
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
If a coach in Ohio replied to a HS recruit "We are not recruiting players from Mississippi because in the past they've been too bigoted to fit in with our team. You can thank your conservative politicians. Best of luck"

Would you have objected to one or both of the following A.) the kid making the message public B.) the school terminating him
You do know why I posted that, right? It was a shot at Stony Brook who cancelled on Southern Miss because they are not allowed to travel to the state of Mississippi for a game (yes, you can't make this stuff up either)

And before taking shots at this guy, maybe he has had a couple of Colorado recruits fail drug tests and wasted (pun not intended) time on them.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-01-18, 05:15 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,288
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Pretty dumb on his part.
Agreed. But is it really that big of a deal?

Do you really think he should be fired for having an opinion about another state's laws? When Gregg Popovich slammed Trump, you didn't see the PC police mobilizing...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-01-18, 05:25 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,440
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Agreed. But is it really that big of a deal?

Do you really think he should be fired for having an opinion about another state's laws? When Gregg Popovich slammed Trump, you didn't see the PC police mobilizing...
Yes, if he's not even considering potential recruits just because of his own political beliefs, he should be fired. He knows NOTHING about this kid other than the fact that he's from Colorado.

The "PC police" didn't mobilize because public opinion was with Popovich. The only time you bring up "PC" is when people disagree with your point of view.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-01-18, 05:32 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 5,495
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
sux2suck
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-01-18, 05:46 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,723
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
If a coach in Ohio replied to a HS recruit "We are not recruiting players from Mississippi because in the past they've been too bigoted to fit in with our team. You can thank your conservative politicians. Best of luck"

Would you have objected to one or both of the following A.) the kid making the message public B.) the school terminating him
Remember when Charlotte was denied the NBA All-Star game because of their bathroom laws? And remember the usual suspects getting their panties in a wad because of it? I remember.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-01-18, 06:24 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
It was a shot at Stony Brook who cancelled on Southern Miss because they are not allowed to travel to the state of Mississippi for a game (yes, you can't make this stuff up either)
And that was dumb. Though I'd say it's not exactly a relevant example given it was a school declining to play another rather than declining to recruit a student athlete.

Could you answer the question I posed below? Seems a more relevant comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
If a coach in Ohio replied to a HS recruit "We are not recruiting players from Mississippi because in the past they've been too bigoted to fit in with our team. You can thank your conservative politicians. Best of luck"

Would you have objected to one or both of the following A.) the kid making the message public B.) the school terminating him
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-01-18, 06:26 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Agreed. But is it really that big of a deal?
To me? No.

If I were an administrator at the school and my NAIA baseball coach just brought negative attention to us because he decided to use recruiting to make a political statement? Yeah, might be.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-01-18, 06:48 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,288
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
And that was dumb. Though I'd say it's not exactly a relevant example given it was a school declining to play another rather than declining to recruit a student athlete.
They didn't decline to play, they cancelled a signed contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Could you answer the question I posed below? Seems a more relevant comparison.
I think your example is apples to oranges. There is no test for how bigoted a player is and denying him a spot on the team if he fails. Being a bigot isn't legal in Mississippi and illegal in Ohio. I also believe that coach would still be employed as social media would be congratulating him on his courage to tackle those evil bigots from Mississippi.

With that said, I would probably laugh at it too. I guess I really didn't take the coach all that serious when he made that text. In fact, Monclova Steve proved that he isn't discriminating against Coloradoans. He just used a meaningless player from Colorado to vent his frustration at Colorado.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-01-18, 07:31 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,723
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
In turn bringing negative attention to his employer. Thus the reason he was fired.

Hope he enjoyed venting his political frustrations, though.

Actions have consequences. All we see in the school walkout thread is that sure students can walk out, but they have to deal with the repercussions(as it should be). Now all of the sudden it's a problem. Obviously because it's something most here disagree with.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-01-18, 07:38 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
He just used a meaningless player from Colorado to vent his frustration at Colorado.
And you think this is appropriate behavior as a representative of his school?

If someone in HR turned down an applicant the exact same way, I'd fire them on the spot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 18 11-28-18 11:02 AM
IUDOGS: 2017 - 2018 Ohio High School Girls Basketball Coaches Changes IUDOGS Girls Basketball 156 11-08-17 01:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz