Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-28-18, 06:13 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Should the voting age be changed?

A repeal of the 26th Amendment seems to be a popular topic at the moment due the sickening exploitation of high school students by gun control advocates. The left is opportunistically calling for the voting age to be lowered from 18 to 16, and the response from the right has been a return to 21.

My opinion: To vote, one should have a fully developed prefrontal cortex (the rational part of the brain) and presumably some life experience away from home. To wit, the voting age should be raised to 27, with an exception for those who enter military service.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-18, 07:26 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Just when I thought liberals couldn't get more ridiculous...
Old 02-28-18, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
It’s fine as it is
Old 02-28-18, 09:05 PM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
It's fine as it is. Over 50% of the population doesn't vote any way and if I was a betting man most don't start voting till around that 27 to 30 year age any way if that.
Old 03-01-18, 07:59 AM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Max Grumbleman;6997854]A repeal of the 26th Amendment seems to be a popular topic at the moment due the sickening exploitation of high school students by gun control advocates. QUOTE]

If we start disqualifying everyone from voting that politicians or advocates of some cause exploit, they you have to include pro and anti-gun folks, anti-abortion and pro-choice folks, the elderly, the young, the poor, the rich, the middle class, veterans, teachers.....and the list goes on.

If we raise the voting age, we need to raise the age for military service to match.....the 18 year olds originally got the vote because my generation was drafted, sent to Vietnam, served two years, and came home still not old enough to vote.

I know the military is all-volunteer now, but if you aren't old enough to vote responsibly, you aren't old enough to serve in the military
Old 03-01-18, 08:46 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
55% of all those eligible vote. 40% of 18-to-20 year olds vote.

16 year olds shouldn't vote. They shouldn't even drive. What a ridiculous argument. Science says no, observation says no, the way our society is set up says no. They're not any smarter than they were 10 or 20 years ago, because biology is real.
Old 03-01-18, 08:46 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=dado6;6998235]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
A repeal of the 26th Amendment seems to be a popular topic at the moment due the sickening exploitation of high school students by gun control advocates. QUOTE]

If we start disqualifying everyone from voting that politicians or advocates of some cause exploit, they you have to include pro and anti-gun folks, anti-abortion and pro-choice folks, the elderly, the young, the poor, the rich, the middle class, veterans, teachers.....and the list goes on.

If we raise the voting age, we need to raise the age for military service to match.....the 18 year olds originally got the vote because my generation was drafted, sent to Vietnam, served two years, and came home still not old enough to vote.

I know the military is all-volunteer now, but if you aren't old enough to vote responsibly, you aren't old enough to serve in the military
You are supervised in the military though. I say raise the voting age to 21.
Old 03-01-18, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
If you want to raise the voting age then cap it at 67 also. 18 year olds have a larger stake in the future. The elderly already lived their lives, and develop cognitive disorders. Bow out gracefully.
Old 03-01-18, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
55% of all those eligible vote. 40% of 18-to-20 year olds vote.

16 year olds shouldn't vote. They shouldn't even drive. What a ridiculous argument. Science says no, observation says no, the way our society is set up says no. They're not any smarter than they were 10 or 20 years ago, because biology is real.

I couldn't put it in words any better
Old 03-01-18, 10:02 AM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
My opinion: To vote, one should have a fully developed prefrontal cortex (the rational part of the brain) and presumably some life experience away from home. To wit, the voting age should be raised to 27, with an exception for those who enter military service.
Should we also take away the right to vote once the brain starts to deteriorate? Say age 60? Or how about an IQ test?

You're legally considered an adult at 18. That means you should have the rights of an adult. Liberals wanting to lower the voting age are dumb, Grumblegut is dumb for wanting to raise it. It's fine where it is.
Old 03-01-18, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
If you want to raise the voting age then cap it at 67 also. 18 year olds have a larger stake in the future. The elderly already lived their lives, and develop cognitive disorders. Bow out gracefully.
This is a valid point
Old 03-01-18, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My opinion: To vote, one should have a fully developed prefrontal cortex (the rational part of the brain)
This would exclude most of the country
Old 03-01-18, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
This is a valid point
You must still be stuck in traffic behind that octogenarian!

:>---

EGA
Old 03-01-18, 10:49 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Yes only 25 to 65 year olds should vote
Old 03-01-18, 10:57 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
I would raise it to 35.
Old 03-01-18, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Should we also take away the right to vote once the brain starts to deteriorate? Say age 60? Or how about an IQ test?

You're legally considered an adult at 18. That means you should have the rights of an adult. Liberals wanting to lower the voting age are dumb, Grumblegut is dumb for wanting to raise it. It's fine where it is.
If you're going to raise it, I'd suggest 50. If setting a range, I'd make it 50-70.

If you're serious about draining the swamp and fixing things give people more votes if they've served in the military, own property, and pay taxes...... so someone that is on welfare and owns nothing gets one vote. If you have a job, pay taxes, own your house, etc. you can get up to 10 votes.

As long as people want to tinker with voting age, etc. it should be meaningful change.
Old 03-01-18, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

Lol. As long as we are being silly I think we should raise abortion to the age of 5. You should know what you got by then. But once they start school you're in for the long haul.
Old 03-01-18, 11:39 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
67 is too low, people in my family live well into their 80s, so I would say 80.
Old 03-01-18, 11:55 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
If you vote, you have no right to complain.
Old 03-01-18, 11:56 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Both mine and my wife"s families have a lot of people live into their 90's so I say somewhere in the high 90's should cover us. A big hang up I have: People that do not own property should not be able to vote on property tax issues. Also I do not like the fact that people on this site are saying I am to old to vote, but I bet they think it is alright for me to have to pay taxes. Right?
Old 03-01-18, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
What a silly thread.

Going by Max's logic, that those whose brains aren't fully developed can't vote, then those whose brains are starting to deteriorate cannot vote either. Some estimates I've seen peg this to be around the age of 50. So then the only people who can vote are those between 27-50. Sound fair?

Also this whole idea of having different ages for different things is idiotic. Figure out an age where an individual becomes and adult and stick with it for everything. If we say one isn't mentally mature to vote, then they aren't mentally mature to serve, buy alcohol, buy tobacco, etc.
Old 03-01-18, 12:11 PM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I had to wait until I was 21 to vote. Then you heard the argument that if you are old enough to fight and die for your country you should have the right to vote. If the truth be told one or the other or maybe both political parties were looking for votes and they must of thought less educated and less informed young people would be easy to get their vote.
Old 03-01-18, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

As long as AR15s stay 18 though. Let's not get crazy.
Old 03-01-18, 12:22 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Then you heard the argument that if you are old enough to fight and die for your country you should have the right to vote.
I mean this seems a pretty difficult argument to counter. Unless you're in favor of moving the age to serve in the military to 21 because 18-20 year olds aren't mature enough to make smart decisions.
Old 03-01-18, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
IMHO only 55 year old white males from southwest Ohio should be able to vote. We know whats best for y'all
Old 03-01-18, 01:33 PM
All World

WykidWytch
Quote:
I mean this seems a pretty difficult argument to counter. Unless you're in favor of moving the age to serve in the military to 21 because 18-20 year olds aren't mature enough to make smart decisions.
A counter to the argument when someone throws the military into the equation is to make an exemption for military. "I can go and die for my country, but I can't buy a drink."....then sign up! Over 18 with a military ID is granted all rights and privileges of a 21 year old. If you aren't signing up, then don't worry about it because you aren't going to go die for anyone.
Old 03-01-18, 01:48 PM
Cooling Off

Except the argument against an 18 year old voting would be they are not mature enough to make such a decision. It would seem joining the military is a far more significant decision that who to vote for, so it would be fair to say they aren't capable of making that decision either.

As others have said, if you're an adult you should be free to make adult decisions and be granted the rights of other adults. You can change what age is "an adult" but it should be consistent.
Old 03-01-18, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykidWytch View Post
A counter to the argument when someone throws the military into the equation is to make an exemption for military. "I can go and die for my country, but I can't buy a drink."....then sign up! Over 18 with a military ID is granted all rights and privileges of a 21 year old. If you aren't signing up, then don't worry about it because you aren't going to go die for anyone.
There was a time when the laws in the US were all over the place. I was able to drink in Florida at 18. I was in MD, in my AF uniform, but was about 2 months from being 21 and was denied a beer.
Old 03-01-18, 02:04 PM
All World

WykidWytch
Quote:
Except the argument against an 18 year old voting would be they are not mature enough to make such a decision. It would seem joining the military is a far more significant decision that who to vote for, so it would be fair to say they aren't capable of making that decision either.

As others have said, if you're an adult you should be free to make adult decisions and be granted the rights of other adults. You can change what age is "an adult" but it should be consistent.
Or it could be said that it shows an advanced maturity not common in 18-20 year olds and therefore is worthy of trust.
Old 03-01-18, 02:26 PM
Cooling Off

Would there be other ways to "prove" your maturity in this scenario outside of joining the military?

Also, would we stop sentencing 18-20 year olds as adults in your scenario?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: