Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-25-18, 05:12 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Trump Supporters: A Question about Guns...

What are your thoughts on him strengthening background checks, banning bump stocks and raising the age from 18 to 21?

I was not a Trump Supporter from Day one but I came around to him because all the other Repubs turned me off of them.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-18, 06:29 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
I like the raising of the age to buy AR-15-type weapons to 21 a lot -- in fact, that was something that I mentioned on here before Trump's announcement.

However, that will only have an impact on mass shootings, which are an incredibly small component of overall gun violence. The age to buy a handgun is already 21. Nobody at all is talking about ways to reduce common handgun violence. Beyond banning them entirely (unconstitutional and unrealistic, even European countries don't do that) you're going to need good criminologists and sociologists to fully tackle the problem. Strain theory, subcultural theory, all of that. Community policing has done wonders where it has been implemented, even in the most violent parts of the inner city. There are reasons why gun violence happens, it isn't an unknowable problem, just immersed in some awful rhetoric at the moment. It can be solved without the usual "gun control vs. arming everybody" debate. We deserve better than Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell.
Old 02-25-18, 07:57 AM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
I'm all for tackling the real problems with guns..... criminals.
Happy posted an article awhile back about crime statistics in NYC going down considerably in the last 20 years. I think positives like that are things that need to be studied. If something is working, find out why.
Old 02-25-18, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
After much thought on the issue I don't support raising the age of gun ownership to 21 for any legal firearm. Either the 2nd amendment is a real right or it isn't. If 18 years olds are permitted to vote and serve in the armed forces then they should have the legal right to buy a gun - any legal gun. Or to put it another way, if you raise the age of gun ownership to 21 then you should raise the age of voting and entering our armed forces to 21. IMO this is a case where you can't have your cake and eat it to.

I'm okay with banning "bump stocks" as I don't see it as a fundamental infringement of a constitutional right.

I'm also okay with the idea of "strengthening background checks" but I would suggest before they pass more laws on this issue they actually perform the background checks that already exist correctly.

As an aside, IMO even if they do all three of things you list Levi, it won't do a damn thing to stop the next mass murder.
Old 02-25-18, 10:22 AM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
The NRA has become a fairly extreme organization.

@FoxNews .@NRA's Wayne LaPierre: Right to bear arms is "not bestowed by man but granted by God to all Americans as our American birthright." (The Book of Luger AR:15)
Old 02-25-18, 10:33 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post

@FoxNews .@NRA's Wayne LaPierre: Right to bear arms is "not bestowed by man but granted by God to all Americans as our American birthright." (The Book of Luger AR:15)
Lol so rattled
Old 02-25-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Advocating for rights is extreme?

Look out for Rock the Vote.
Old 02-25-18, 11:03 AM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Parents are buying bullet proof backpacks. That is where we are at today.
Old 02-25-18, 11:09 AM
All World

Gulliotine is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Your post reminded me that I need to renew my membership.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-18, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
this
Old 02-25-18, 11:16 AM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't say I'm a Trump supporter, though I did vote for him and like him above any Dem out there. Also happen to think he's doing a decent job so far, better than I expected at least.

I don't personally have an issue with raising the age for long guns or banning bump stocks, but I do understand how some could consider it a slippery slope.

However, it's important to keep in mind, no matter what happens, it will be challenged in the courts. Trump has shifted the balance of the court with his appointment of Gorsuch(best thing he's done in his Presidency) and ultimately the supreme court will likely have final say on any such perceived infringement on the 2nd amendment.
Old 02-25-18, 11:16 AM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
https://www.newsday.com/news/nation/...vers-1.5226036

Yet we actually lowered the age to drive to 15 1/2 in Ohio and it seems every teenager has these in their hands, yet no outrage from teenagers about this enormous increase in deaths that there are laws for, and they are not found in the Constitution or its Amendments!
Old 02-25-18, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Parents are buying bullet proof backpacks. That is where we are at today.
People are gullible...that's always been true.
Old 02-25-18, 11:20 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a Trump supporter, though I did vote for him and like him above any Dem out there. Also happen to think he's doing a decent job so far, better than I expected at least.

I don't personally have an issue with raising the age for long guns or banning bump stocks, but I do understand how some could consider it a slippery slope.

However, it's important to keep in mind, no matter what happens, it will be challenged in the courts. Trump has shifted the balance of the court with his appointment of Gorsuch(best thing he's done in his Presidency) and ultimately the supreme court will likely have final say on any such perceived infringement on the 2nd amendment.
Yup this.
Old 02-25-18, 02:09 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
18 is an adult. We confer a lot of rights as people reach adulthood, if you can't be trusted with a firearm why are we trusting them with a vote? I'm not sure how you take away a constitutionally guaranteed right when someone has reached the age of legal maturity.

I'm thinking that one gets kicked back by the SCOTUS the 1st time it's challenged.

Bump stocks and weapon modifications, I could support because it doesn't fundamentally attempt to negate the 2nd Amendment.

Depends on the definition of "strengthening", if it leads to a list or registration as a condition of gun ownership then I would be against it.
Old 02-25-18, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
Depends on the definition of "strengthening", if it leads to a list or registration as a condition of gun ownership then I would be against it.
doesn't that already exist?
Old 02-25-18, 02:41 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
18 year olds should be allowed to purchase a firearm. They can live on their own, they deserve the right to defend themselves.
Old 02-25-18, 02:43 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
doesn't that already exist?
Depends on the state.
Old 02-25-18, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Depends on the state.
There are states, in which guns do not require registration? Or was the reference only to CCW? States where a person doesn't have to register to carry conceiled?
Old 02-25-18, 06:03 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
There are states, in which guns do not require registration? Or was the reference only to CCW? States where a person doesn't have to register to carry conceiled?
Most states do not require the registration of guns. About a quarter of states have so-called "constitutional carry", where no permit or license is required to carry concealed.
Old 02-26-18, 01:17 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Happy posted an article awhile back about crime statistics in NYC going down considerably in the last 20 years. I think positives like that are things that need to be studied. If something is working, find out why.
Lock more people up?
Old 02-26-18, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Lock more people up?
You prefer they roam free to harm innocents?
Old 02-26-18, 01:31 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What are your thoughts on him strengthening background checks, banning bump stocks and raising the age from 18 to 21?
It's certainly the politically expedient thing to do, so he should do it and take the high road.

It's hard to fathom, but there may possibly some Dems who will cynically say, "Lip service - won't change a thing!".

I glanced at a number of Obama's presidential proposals after school shootings. They appeared to be equally expedient, and just as ineffective in preventing the type of tragedy which prompted each proposal.

Actually, I'm surprised to learn how many states don't require gun registration. That comes from watching all those Perry Mason and Law & Order episodes, no doubt. So many shows, movies, and novels use weapon-tracing as a normal way for the police to do business, I assumed it was nation-wide.
Old 02-26-18, 01:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Lock more people up?
Yes. If they committ crimes they should be incarcerated.
Old 02-26-18, 01:42 PM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Don't know where he got a crazy idea like that.

Maybe he read a subversive document that said....

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights
http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/
Old 02-26-18, 03:10 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

How does that answer the question asked??

You know what would be neat?? If Yappi could make it so all of your posts went straight to their own forum. No one has a clue what you are talking about half the time anyways. This way we could get into that forum and try to guess what post you were trying to sabotage. We could take bets. Yappi would get a cut. We could have some real fun at your expense instead of just slapping our heads at your posts.
Old 02-26-18, 03:27 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I support more rigorous background checks (whatever that would be) short of sending the FBI to interview me, my friends, and neighbors.

I have no problem waiting a month to receive my gun. There can only be a couple of reasons why you would need a gun right now. The main one being I need to shoot someone while my anger/craziness is at it's peak.

I'm on the fence with an age increase. I find it hard to tell someone you can't buy that rifle but if you enlist we will give you a free one. I'm still upset about the drinking age.

If you have mental issues (confirmed by 2 doctors) you don't get a gun. Now what do we consider a mental illness??

You have to take a safety course like hunters. Except, you will have to provide paperwork showing you took the course. Let's say that has to be renewed every 3 years.

Make it illegal to sell/posses any type of modification to make a gun fully auto/rapid fire. Make the penalties high.

I don't think there needs to be a national registry of who I am and what guns I own. Could you imagine if at the height of the AIDS epidemic if we asked all gay males to register.

I'm sure I'm missing something but it's a start.
Old 02-26-18, 03:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
I support more rigorous background checks (whatever that would be) short of sending the FBI to interview me, my friends, and neighbors.

I have no problem waiting a month to receive my gun. There can only be a couple of reasons why you would need a gun right now. The main one being I need to shoot someone while my anger/craziness is at it's peak.

I'm on the fence with an age increase. I find it hard to tell someone you can't buy that rifle but if you enlist we will give you a free one. I'm still upset about the drinking age.

If you have mental issues (confirmed by 2 doctors) you don't get a gun. Now what do we consider a mental illness??

You have to take a safety course like hunters. Except, you will have to provide paperwork showing you took the course. Let's say that has to be renewed every 3 years.

Make it illegal to sell/posses any type of modification to make a gun fully auto/rapid fire. Make the penalties high.

I don't think there needs to be a national registry of who I am and what guns I own. Could you imagine if at the height of the AIDS epidemic if we asked all gay males to register.

I'm sure I'm missing something but it's a start.
Will any of those keep the guns out of criminal hands?

I didn't think so.

You are suggesting making it far more difficult for law abiding citizens to legally get a gun.
Old 02-26-18, 03:43 PM
All American

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dado6 View Post
Don't know where he got a crazy idea like that.

Maybe he read a subversive document that said....

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

LOL

Some of these liberal nuts can really spew some mind-numbing stuff.
Old 02-26-18, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Reasonable Buck 98. Though on your last point if someone goes off the deep end mentally or commits a felony, you can't take their guns if you don't know what they have.

Pro national registry, annual recertification, license fee per gun, owner accountability. Similar to vehicle plates. Gotta be able to have a mechanism to track if you want to prevent from getting into the wrong hands. I know the NRA crowd will go nuts over that but.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: