Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-18, 09:57 AM
Levi Levi is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-29-01
Location: Hoover 22x FED champs
Posts: 29,936
Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Until Celebrities stop GLORIFYING gun violence in movies they need to shut up...

About Gun Control.

They are making millions of dollars on all these movies (and TV shows) that gun violence is being glorified.

No I am not personally wanting movies, shows or even commercials to stop this. However, I want these actors, celebrities and so on to stop making a living off of gun violence in their movies and fire all security who use guns and replace their armed security it with pepper spray or some other kind of defense.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-21-18, 10:45 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 3,658
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
You forgot to add "mic drop" at the end of your post.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-18, 10:54 AM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
How stupid. What, countries with stricter gun control and fewer shootings don't show violent movies?

I know the base doesn't read but don't forget books too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-18, 11:21 AM
Qcity Qcity is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-31-08
Posts: 1,692
Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
The rise of these shootings correlates nearly directly to the destruction of the family and traditional values, and removal of all things religious from schools.

Unfortunately government and secularism have played the largest role in destroying the destroying the family and values, limiting conscience formation. Reversing this appears impossible, thus the only thing to do is put armed personnel in the schools and eliminate the 'gun-free' zones (which are nothing more than target-rich environments).

Liberalism/secularism/Marxism (all under the guise of 'progressivism): destroying the country one day at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-18, 11:27 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 3,658
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
I know the base doesn't read but don't forget books too.
"Too" what? What else was forgotten?

Or, the base doesn't read books in addition to other things they don't read? Isn't that redundant?

Or, someone named Books also know that the base does not read?

Or, the base doesn't read and you have trouble forming a coherent sentence?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-18, 11:30 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 3,658
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
removal of all things religious from schools.
First, most of that happened in the 1960's. So no.

Second, I don't wan't a millennial elementary teacher or a high school foreign language teacher preaching their religious beliefs to my children. We will take care of that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-18, 12:03 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,523
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Thread Title seems a valid comeback, though Hollywood is going to argue that what they do shows the true violence of guns and is being done for the good of the people, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-18, 12:06 PM
SWMCinci SWMCinci is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-20-07
Location: Outside of Ohio..... Now
Posts: 18,149
SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
It's hard to take celebrities serious on any topic, they do what they want and then want to stop everyone else.

They are for gun control, but employ armed guards for themselves, their homes, and their kids. They support carbon taxes and draconian energy policies as long as they can live in multiple 20K sq/ft homes and fly in private jets for parties in Las Vegas, Milan, and Paris. They support higher taxes but employ various loopholes and business maneuvers to limit their taxes. They rail on about the #metoo movement but want Roman Polanski to be "freed" from his child rape charges and accept some people's problems because they support other things they do like.........
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-18, 12:08 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,523
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
How stupid. What, countries with stricter gun control and fewer shootings don't show violent movies?

I know the base doesn't read but don't forget books too.
No one suggested bans. Strawman much?

It shouldn't take a consevative nor a liberal mindset to call out the hyprosisy of someone glorifying and making money off the same thing they're making their social and poltical connections poo-pooing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-18, 12:13 PM
dado6 dado6 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-15-07
Posts: 10,701
dado6 is on a distinguished road
Please keep in mind that Hollywood is make up of actors, who make a lot of money pretending to be something they are not (for our entertainment).
It isn't a foreign concept to them to make believe, whether it is making believe they are Churchill, a thief, a hooker, or that they really care about an issue enough to do something tangible.
Eastisbest is right; there is a lot of hypocrisy going on
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-18, 01:24 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
No one suggested bans. Strawman much?

It shouldn't take a consevative nor a liberal mindset to call out the hyprosisy of someone glorifying and making money off the same thing they're making their social and poltical connections poo-pooing.
Very well, at least we agree on censorship. But it is not hypocrisy to speak against social injustices or violence or poverty or whatever, and also an actor in fictional movies for entertainment, or enjoy watching them. Does Game of Thrones make you want to behead somebody? DeNiro, Nicholson, Pacino, Eastwood, are GREAT actors in some of greatest movies and performances ever made. Ditto Scorsese, Copolla, Hitchcock. Period.

I also love Tarantino and Coen Bros. movies also.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-21-18, 01:29 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 4,426
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
There is a reason we are the only ones who cannot figure this out and it has nothing to do with Hollywood.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-18, 01:49 PM
Qcity Qcity is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-31-08
Posts: 1,692
Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
First, most of that happened in the 1960's. So no.
Incorrect. And it is still happening today; I give you Beloit West Branch high school.

The post stands; the growth of big government and secularism has contributed greatly to the demise of the family, traditional values, and conscience formation. No was gunning down classmates and innocent young people in mass shootings in the '60's, '70's, and '80's.

And some wonder why we are where we are.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-18, 01:54 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,171
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
QCity is the type of guy who wants religion in school as long as it's his religion.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-21-18, 02:21 PM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 6,782
zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
QCity is the type of guy who wants religion in school as long as it's his religion.
I read it more as a decline in family values but troll forth
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-21-18, 02:34 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,058
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
The rise of these shootings correlates nearly directly to the destruction of the family and traditional values, and removal of all things religious from schools.

Unfortunately government and secularism have played the largest role in destroying the destroying the family and values, limiting conscience formation. Reversing this appears impossible, thus the only thing to do is put armed personnel in the schools and eliminate the 'gun-free' zones (which are nothing more than target-rich environments).

Liberalism/secularism/Marxism (all under the guise of 'progressivism): destroying the country one day at a time.
Great post, and I completely agree. The high divorce rate, single parents or grandparents raising kids and the continued erosion of typical family values is at the root. We need to stop feeling bad for pointing out the problems of today.
It needs to be stated to kids in school, statistics show that kids that come from two parent, married couples have the best chance of "making it" in the long run. Yes there are outlyers, but we have so many school districts where the free and reduced lunch group is bigger than the non-free lunch group. That's a problem! We also need to stop taking care of kids 24-7. If the parent proves they can't take care of the kid, then get them out of that environment and put them in one where they can succeed. Leaving them in a living environment where the parent is perfectly fine with taking government handouts and every free program out there teaches the kid no self worth, no pride.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-21-18, 02:38 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 3,658
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
Incorrect.
No, most of that did happen in the '60's. If you are too young or uneducated to know that does not change reality.

Last edited by chs1971; 02-21-18 at 11:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-21-18, 03:22 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,715
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
Incorrect. And it is still happening today; I give you Beloit West Branch high school.

The post stands; the growth of big government and secularism has contributed greatly to the demise of the family, traditional values, and conscience formation. No was gunning down classmates and innocent young people in mass shootings in the '60's, '70's, and '80's.

And some wonder why we are where we are.
No, people were just doing it in other ways. The murder rate was higher in the 60's, 70's, and 80's than it is now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-18, 03:47 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
No, people were just doing it in other ways. The murder rate was higher in the 60's, 70's, and 80's than it is now.
Funny how that works. In the good ole days we could also beat our wives and lynch coloreds.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-21-18, 03:49 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,715
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I'm wondering if faith and traditional family values were the cause of higher murder rates back in the day. Thank god we did away with those things.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-21-18, 04:01 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mich...030519815.html Mom shoots husband and children.

Seems like I read one of these every day. Fact is, more often than not this is what usually happens when law abiding citizens keep guns in the house. Just saying. Do your own risk reward I guess, and good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-21-18, 04:10 PM
domi domi is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-06-16
Posts: 1,202
domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
Incorrect. And it is still happening today; I give you Beloit West Branch high school.

The post stands; the growth of big government and secularism has contributed greatly to the demise of the family, traditional values, and conscience formation. No was gunning down classmates and innocent young people in mass shootings in the '60's, '70's, and '80's.

And some wonder why we are where we are.
I guess the University of Texas tower shooting (17 dead) or Cal State Fullerton (7 dead) or Stockton schoolyard (6 dead) shootings didn't happen? While the number of incidents are on the rise this decade there were school shootings in the 60s and 70s and 80s.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-21-18, 04:10 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,715
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mich...030519815.html Mom shoots husband and children.

Seems like I read one of these every day. Fact is, more often than not this is what usually happens when law abiding citizens keep guns in the house. Just saying. Do your own risk reward I guess, and good luck.
You think out of the tens of millions of households that have guns, this is the norm?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-21-18, 04:24 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
You think out of the tens of millions of households that have guns that this is the norm?
Norm? Probably not. But it is fact guns in the house have a higher probability of unintended consequences and suicide than warding off an attacker.

I actually do sympathize with those who live in high crime or dangerous areas. But suburbs and nice areas IMO you are wasting your money, and adding unnecessary stress and risk.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-21-18, 04:51 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,715
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Then what did you mean by this:

Quote:
Fact is, more often than not this is what usually happens when law abiding citizens keep guns in the house.
Doesn't more often than not=majority=norm?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-21-18, 04:53 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 13,197
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Norm? Probably not. But it is fact guns in the house have a higher probability of unintended consequences and suicide than warding off an attacker.

I actually do sympathize with those who live in high crime or dangerous areas. But suburbs and nice areas IMO you are wasting your money, and adding unnecessary stress and risk.
Why would you throw suicide in there? As if someone that depressed wouldn't find another way to kill themselves.

And suburbs dont have crime? Man someone better tell the taxpayers, they are wasting a lot of money on police.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-21-18, 05:00 PM
Qcity Qcity is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-31-08
Posts: 1,692
Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
QCity is the type of guy who wants religion in school as long as it's his religion.
Incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-21-18, 05:02 PM
Qcity Qcity is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-31-08
Posts: 1,692
Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
No, most of that did happen in the '60's. If you are too young or uneducated to know that does no change reality.
My hunch is that I am older than 80% here, and have a lifetime of witnessing what has occurred over the last 6 decades, and learning plenty from it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-21-18, 05:04 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Then what did you mean by this:



Doesn't more often than not=majority=norm?
Understood. I already clarified it the 1st time you asked.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-21-18, 05:24 PM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,055
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Why would you throw suicide in there? As if someone that depressed wouldn't find another way to kill themselves.
Well it is by far the most common method. And highest success rate. Like keeping a cyanide pill in the pantry - if you are having a rough time its always there for you. Gotta be careful with it is all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz