Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-18-18, 09:00 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
and a decent chuck of GDP and GDP growth.
Why are you so blind? California has serious problems STATEWIDE. You might have pockets where they are doing well but overall the state is failing. It's interesting to see that the proposal to secede from California is being made by the Rural areas because they are tired of the ridiculous policies from the Urban areas and Silicon Valley. The big cities across the nation are more and more being controled by Democrats and they are failing with high costs and high taxes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out yet people like you continue to live in some kind of fantasy denial land.
Old 01-18-18, 09:01 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Old 01-18-18, 09:10 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
It's a liberal paradise.
Old 01-18-18, 09:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
It's a liberal paradise.
I saw a video even worse than this but can't seem to find it again. It was 16 minutes of a bike ride through a tent city of horrific squalor with multimillion dollar mansions in the background with high walls surrounding the homes. This is simply astounding that this is in the United States.
Old 01-18-18, 09:15 PM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Why are you so blind? California has serious problems STATEWIDE. You might have pockets where they are doing well but overall the state is failing. It's interesting to see that the proposal to secede from California is being made by the Rural areas because they are tired of the ridiculous policies from the Urban areas and Silicon Valley. The big cities across the nation are more and more being controled by Democrats and they are failing with high costs and high taxes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out yet people like you continue to live in some kind of fantasy denial land.
Weird that companies like Apple and Amazon don't pop up in West Virginia or Alabama????
Old 01-18-18, 09:19 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Weird that companies like Apple and Amazon don't pop up in West Virginia or Alabama????
Not really, but you should be paying attention to the companies now popping up in Utah, Texas, Idaho, and Georgia.
Old 01-18-18, 09:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Apple is the largest employer and taxpayer in the US with employees and facilities in all 50 US states.
Old 01-19-18, 06:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Apple is the largest employer and taxpayer in the US with employees and facilities in all 50 US states.
Not even close. The #1 employer and taxpayer in the US is Walmart, by far (10X Apple's size). It's also behind Home Depot, Kroger, and Target as well....... Apple isn't even the largest technology sector employer (Amazon, IBM, HP, and Microsoft are). Disney employs almost as many people in Orlando as Apple employs in the entire country. There are more than a few companies that employ more than 100K people in the US. I'm not sure Apple is even in the top 50 employers and the reason that they have almost $250 billion overseas is because they haven't paid income taxes on the money earned overseas. It's also going to depend on what you view as taxes - employment, real estate, sales, income, etc. Globally they pay a lot of income taxes but I'm not sure about their US burden.

Last edited by SWMCinci; 01-19-18 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-19-18, 07:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
Not even close. The #1 employer and taxpayer in the US is Walmart, by far (10X Apple's size). It's also behind Home Depot, Kroger, and Target as well....... Apple isn't even the largest technology sector employer (Amazon, IBM, HP, and Microsoft are). Disney employs almost as many people in Orlando as Apple employs in the entire country. There are more than a few companies that employ more than 100K people in the US. I'm not sure Apple is even in the top 50 employers and the reason that they have almost $250 billion overseas is because they haven't paid income taxes on the money earned overseas. It's also going to depend on what you view as taxes - employment, real estate, sales, income, etc. Globally they pay a lot of income taxes but I'm not sure about their US burden.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...-job-creation/

According to Apple they are the largest taxpayer and they employ 84,000 people.
My mistake though. I read another article yesterday that stated they were the largest US employer.
Apple however does not make that claim in their press release.
Old 01-19-18, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...-job-creation/

According to Apple they are the largest taxpayer and they employ 84,000 people.
My mistake though. I read another article yesterday that stated they were the largest US employer.
Apple however does not make that claim in their press release.
Apple is only talking income taxes, Apple pays a lot in income taxes because of their business model - they control the manufacturing of their products and don't use distributors and sell directly to retailers. Wal-Mart makes almost 10X the revenue but has a lot more expenses and other taxes (payroll, sales, real estate, gasoline, FET, etc.) to get their income tax burden where it is. Another point to consider is that the US government receives more in gasoline taxes from Exxon than Exxon makes in revenue.
Old 01-19-18, 03:01 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The infrastructure in WV is horrible. I don't think any international company would invest a major operation there. You keep looking at this as poor, white trash thing when it's simple logistics.
Old 01-19-18, 03:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
Not really, but you should be paying attention to the companies now popping up in Utah, Texas, Idaho, and Georgia.
Don't forget North and South Dakota. I watched a show on how they have such low costs to do business that tech companies are taking advantage. Using a young workforce that likes to be out biking/hiking/camping/skiing. They are perfect places to get youngsters to relocate.
Old 01-19-18, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^
Reminds me of that Air Force project some years ago, "Why not Minot?"
Old 01-20-18, 12:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
^^^
Reminds me of that Air Force project some years ago, "Why not Minot?"
I spent a winter there........ because it's frickin' cold.
Old 01-20-18, 01:23 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Sure was, but those BUFFS really loved that weather for get up and go.
Old 01-20-18, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Sure was, but those BUFFS really loved that weather for get up and go.
It's cold in a BUFF in that weather, they ain't exactly AF1 but they do like the thicker air.
Old 01-21-18, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Here is reason #268 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Can someone explain this - http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40434392

Electric bills in Cali are up to 50% higher than anywhere else in America, they are still building natural gas electrical generation plants, and they have many days in which Cali solar power companies pay Arizona to take excess power. Crazy.
Old 02-20-18, 01:28 PM
All American

San Francisco's NBC affiliate states that areas in San Francisco are as bad as anything in the third world.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...472430013.html
Old 02-20-18, 02:57 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Stockton Has the Answer: UBI

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/mayo...ach-month.html

A two-hour drive from the tech-fueled riches of San Francisco, Stockton, Calif., is a completely different world from its Silicon Valley neighbor. But the small city is taking a big bet to try to fix its lagging economy with a strategy that many of the tech elite have been largely only pontificating about: universal basic income, or cash handouts.

In 2013, Stockton became the most populous city in the United States to enter bankruptcy. The city of 300,000 was toppled when the housing bubble burst, its basic operating expenses dependent on developer fees and increasing property tax revenue that never came to bear.

Let's see how this turns out...
Old 02-21-18, 11:29 AM
All American

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Cali proving that Marxism and the religion of radical environmentalism doesn't blend well with liberty and a capitalist economy.
Old 02-21-18, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
The infrastructure in WV is horrible. I don't think any international company would invest a major operation there. You keep looking at this as poor, white trash thing when it's simple logistics.
Proctor and Gamble evidently don't think so. They are building a plant in Martinsburg, WV largely because of logistics; they are closing a Swiffer plant in Canada, a plant in Kansas City, and moving several other products there because they can ship to anywhere in the Eastern US in less than 24 hours.

http://news.pg.com/blog/WVplant0330
Old 02-21-18, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

Liberalism is expensive

It's tough to give ever more takers increases when fewer people produce less.
Old 02-21-18, 12:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado6 View Post
Proctor and Gamble evidently don't think so. They are building a plant in Martinsburg, WV largely because of logistics; they are closing a Swiffer plant in Canada, a plant in Kansas City, and moving several other products there because they can ship to anywhere in the Eastern US in less than 24 hours.

http://news.pg.com/blog/WVplant0330
You realize that Martinsburg is in the eastern panhandle? It's 13 miles from the VA state line, and 9 miles from the MD state line. Really not using a whole lot of the WV infrastructure to move goods.
Old 02-21-18, 12:39 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
It just goes to show you, when you just throw money at problems, it generally doesn't help the cause. Sadly, we have a generation of people, mine included, who not only are ashamed to take a handout, they expect it! As many places across the country that really need workers, how could someone go and just stand or sit in the streets and ask for money? GO TO WORK...we need to stop enabling people. Decrease the length of welfare and unemployment payments to able bodied people.
Old 02-21-18, 12:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
You realize that Martinsburg is in the eastern panhandle? It's 13 miles from the VA state line, and 9 miles from the MD state line. Really not using a whole lot of the WV infrastructure to move goods.
I don't know about WV's infrastructure as a whole but I have driven I-77 and I-64 in WV countless times and the roads are absolutely perfect. As soon as I get back into Ohio I-77 turns into a mess. Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan's highways are horrible (Michigan being the worst), West Virginia's are second to none in my experience.
Old 02-21-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Look no further then the statement half way through the article.

"Looking to help poor and low-income residents, California lawmakers recently passed a measure raising the minimum wage from $10 an hour to $15 an hour by 2022 ó but a higher minimum wage will do nothing for the 60% of Californians who live in poverty and donít have jobs. And research indicates that it could cause many who do have jobs to lose them."

I don't care what state your in if 60% of the people in that state is not working and on some kind of assistance you will be a state in poverty.
I am no fan of California, but I have a hard time believing that the state has a 60% unemployment rate. I'd be interested in seeing where that author got that particular stat.
Old 02-21-18, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I saw a video even worse than this but can't seem to find it again. It was 16 minutes of a bike ride through a tent city of horrific squalor with multimillion dollar mansions in the background with high walls surrounding the homes. This is simply astounding that this is in the United States.
Multi-million dollar mansions? You mean like this one:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

A lovely, 1,850 square foot 4 bed, 3 bath single story home not too far of a commute to Google?

Or perhaps this little gem:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true

A very nice 3 bed, 3 bath, 2,087 square foot home just a short commute from Apple.
Old 02-21-18, 03:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
Multi-million dollar mansions? You mean like this one:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

A lovely, 1,850 square foot 4 bed, 3 bath single story home not too far of a commute to Google?

Or perhaps this little gem:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true

A very nice 3 bed, 3 bath, 2,087 square foot home just a short commute from Apple.
That is absurd. The pay increase you get by working in California does not cover the adjusted cost of living. No wonder California's net migration is a big loss. The only reason the state's population has increased is legal and illegal immigration. It really is a state that closely resembles a third world nation (e.g. Mexico or Brazil), extreme wealth, a small, shrinking or nonexistent middle class, and everyone else (the poor peasants).

BTW, the homes in the other video were much larger homes with large exterior walls, right next to tent cities. I assume those homes were in the 10-15 million dollar range where in Ohio they would be of 500,000 to 1.5 million dollar homes. California is a complete mess.
Old 02-21-18, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

Interestingly, some parts of California are MUCH worse than others. Here is an interesting story about Peter Thiel, a co-founder of Pay-Pal, who is abandoning Silicon Valley to move to Los Angeles - his reasoning, Silicon Valley is too liberal and at least Los Angeles is open to other (conservative) ideas.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/15/tech...ley/index.html
Old 02-21-18, 07:35 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It just goes to show you, when you just throw money at problems, it generally doesn't help the cause. Sadly, we have a generation of people, mine included, who not only are ashamed to take a handout, they expect it! As many places across the country that really need workers, how could someone go and just stand or sit in the streets and ask for money? GO TO WORK...we need to stop enabling people. Decrease the length of welfare and unemployment payments to able bodied people.
While I generally agree with what you are saying, how many employers would want to sign on these folks? Employers are looking for self-starters, not someone they would have to baby-sit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: