Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-15-18, 04:28 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
If you read the opening post, the quote doesn't mention Porter.
The quote is in response to a reporter's question about Porter. Don't be dense.

Quote:
I can see why you see the #Metoo movement and this current issue as two separate issues but I think the forces behind them are the same.
What force is behind Porter's exes coming forward with photographs of abuse they claim to have suffered from him?

Quote:
An accusation of assaulting a woman is different than a conviction of assaulting a woman. A good example is Ray Rice's video of him assaulting his fiancée. It changed everything. It was a he said/she said that turned into no doubt that he had done it. Would I forgive him now for what he did? No.
So what's missing is video evidence of Porter actually physically abusing women? That is incredibly rare in any criminal case, much less domestic violence.

It also isn't what you said like 10 minutes ago

Quote:
I don't judge people on one issue and I'm willing to forgive when someone made a mistake in the past.
You're implying here you're willing to forgive someone for the mistake of committing domestic violence.
Old 02-15-18, 04:33 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
We're now at the point of Republicans arguing against whether credible accounts of domestic abuse, sexual assault or pedophilia should be disqualifying for the highest levels of government, lol. Someone pinch me.

Personally I don't judge, and am ok with all the gay sex, hookers, and forcing mistress to get abortions and all, but I think we're crossing a line here.
Is that what this is? Arguing against credible accounts? Please.
Old 02-15-18, 04:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
The quote is in response to a reporter's question about Porter. Don't be dense.
I tried to explain it to you but you don't want to believe it. Simply was a paragraph that I read that I found interesting. It made me think of other issues from the past. Sorry you don't believe that is all I intended by starting this thread.

Quote:
What force is behind Porter's exes coming forward with photographs of abuse they claim to have suffered from him?
When I saw the photograph (I've only seen one), I thought it looked damning. I also haven't followed this story that much and really have no idea when these events took place.

Quote:
You're implying here you're willing to forgive someone for the mistake of committing domestic violence.
Again, depends on the circumstances. Domestic violence can involve many other types of criminal behavior besides assault...

Quote:
Domestic violence is any physical, sexual, or psychological abuse that people use against a former or current intimate partner. It refers to a number of criminal behaviors: assault and battery; sexual assault; stalking; harassment; violation of a civil restraining order; homicide; and other offenses that occur in the course of a domestic violence incident, such as arson, robbery, malicious destruction of property, and endangering a minor.
Also, how long ago did it happen and what has the person done with their life? An 18 year old kid that stalked an ex-girlfriend might be a very different person by the time they get to 50 years old.

Are you saying that all people who have committed domestic violence in their lifetime should be shunned permanently?
Old 02-15-18, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
A man beating a woman is more than a "mistake." The fact that you believe it is a "mistake" speaks volumes about your character as does equating beating a woman to smoking marijuana, extramarital affairs, or not paying taxes on a housekeeper.
Is it? Suppose your wife assaulted you, would it be permissible for you to strike her? If you were to come home and found your wife in bed with another man, could you beat him? If she came to his defense, could you beat her? Would it be better to shoot both of them?

Now, I was raised in the South and from an early age was told that a man never hits a lady. But honestly don't know how that would stand up in those situations, in 60 years I've never done it, but I haven't experienced many different situations that other people have.
Old 02-15-18, 04:50 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you saying that all people who have committed domestic violence in their lifetime should be shunned permanently?
Nope. Just not given top secret security clearance in the WH.

He'll join some lobby group or whatever and be fine, don't worry.
Old 02-15-18, 04:52 PM
All World

Gulliotine is on a distinguished road
Who has accused Porter of beating them? Is the black-eye photo suppose to be proof of a beating?

Porter said he took the damn picture, and what's being alleged isn't accurate.

I've seen no evidence of anything I couldn't forgive Rob Porter for.
Old 02-15-18, 04:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Nope. Just not given top secret security clearance in the WH.

He'll join some lobby group or whatever and be fine, don't worry.
So Porter, no, but coke heads like Dubya and Barry, yes.

That makes perfect sense. lol
Old 02-15-18, 05:50 PM
All World

Quote:
I tried to explain it to you but you don't want to believe it. Simply was a paragraph that I read that I found interesting. It made me think of other issues from the past. Sorry you don't believe that is all I intended by starting this thread.
If you didn't think this thread would center around the Porter issue given the link you posted and question you posed, then I'm not sure I can help you.

Quote:
I think someone who has assaulted a woman should probably be precluded from high level government positions, yes, that seems fair to me.

This isn't a novel concept, we draw all sorts of moral lines we're willing to accept from our leaders. You and I would likely agree on murder, rape, pedophilia, on one end of the spectrum. And would likely also agree on marijuana use, adultery, etc. on the opposite end. The question at hand is where we draw the line between those two ends of the spectrum.
Old 02-15-18, 05:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
If you were to come home and found your wife in bed with another man, could you beat him?
Going to need Crusader's expert testimony here.
Old 02-16-18, 10:25 AM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliotine View Post
That's what I don't understand about the Porter situation. If you black your wife's eye, and there's a picture of it, you're going to jail...period.

Why didn't that happen?
The majority of domestic violence offenses do not end up in jail or prison time. Many times the victims agree to not press charges or they settle upon lesser penalties. Add into the fact that having money equates to having a very good lawyer and many times these things never make it to court. I'm not saying he was guilty of this offense, but there is an enormous amount of evidence stating otherwise.

Back to the original question, should this exclude you from working for the government? Depends upon what level of government, and what security clearances are needed for this type of job. I know that the government traditionally does their due diligence when hiring those for high level security jobs, contacting former neighbors, teachers and people from your past. I also agree that having skeletons in your closet can open you up to potentially being leveraged by outside entities, which is their biggest fear.
Old 02-16-18, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Dudes in trailer parks and the projects go to prison. Dudes like Porter (and Trump) do not. Don't be stupid.

That is the whole point of the movement. Men in power get away with it. Victims of men in power get shamed and ruined.
Old 02-16-18, 12:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
The majority of domestic violence offenses do not end up in jail or prison time.
False. If the cops are called, and there's physical evidence, you're going to jail. It may just be overnight, but you're going to jail.
Old 02-16-18, 12:51 PM
All District

If cops are called, they come out and see a woman with a black eye and she says she fell down. They aren't taking anyone to jail. I don't know what fairytale world you live in, but just because cops are called that doesn't mean anything! If every instance of domestic violence was reported and ended in an arrest, it wouldn't be an issue like it is today!
Old 02-16-18, 01:16 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
False. If the cops are called, and there's physical evidence, you're going to jail. It may just be overnight, but you're going to jail.
Depends on the police department. I called the cops on my neighbors a couple years ago because it sounded like a war zone. They were hitting each other, throwing things at each other, etc. Cops showed up, he opened the door, they drug him outside and cuffed him, took him to their station, and told him to go somewhere else for the night. He was never booked or charged with anything and he was not wealthy. It wasn't until the third or fourth time it happened that he was given an overnight stay in Franklin County jail.
Old 02-16-18, 02:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
Depends on the police department. I called the cops on my neighbors a couple years ago because it sounded like a war zone. They were hitting each other, throwing things at each other, etc. Cops showed up, he opened the door, they drug him outside and cuffed him, took him to their station, and told him to go somewhere else for the night. He was never booked or charged with anything and he was not wealthy. It wasn't until the third or fourth time it happened that he was given an overnight stay in Franklin County jail.
Then there must not have been any bumps or bruises.

Maybe it varies from state to state (it wouldn't vary between departments), but if you leave a mark on your spouse, you're going to jail. Neither the cops or the victim have anything to say about it.
Old 02-16-18, 02:13 PM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Then there must not have been any bumps or bruises.

Maybe it varies from state to state (it wouldn't vary between departments), but if you leave a mark on your spouse, you're going to jail. Neither the cops or the victim have anything to say about it.
I believe Ohio law requires that one of the two people are removed from the premises.
Old 02-16-18, 02:30 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
If every instance of domestic violence was reported and ended in an arrest, it wouldn't be an issue like it is today!
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Your ignorance is boundless.
Old 02-16-18, 02:35 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Your ignorance is boundless.
How so? Do you work in the field? Do you have first hand experience in the matter? Or are you some ignorant and pathetic troll?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-18, 03:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado6 View Post
I believe Ohio law requires that one of the two people are removed from the premises.
Not if you black her eye, or leave a mark...period.

The victim doesn't get say they don't want to press charges. The cop doesn't get to say that it doesn't look too painful.

You will be arrested, and you will go to jail.

This is silly to debate.
Old 02-16-18, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not if you black her eye, or leave a mark...period.

The victim doesn't get say they don't want to press charges. The cop doesn't get to say that it doesn't look too painful.

You will be arrested, and you will go to jail.

This is silly to debate.
I agree with you. Did you even read my post? I said the law requires one of the two be removed from the premises. That is, the cop has no decision to make; they have to take one of the two parties once they respond to a domestic violence call.
Old 02-16-18, 03:52 PM
All World

Quote:
I agree with you. Did you even read my post? I said the law requires one of the two be removed from the premises. That is, the cop has no decision to make; they have to take one of the two parties once they respond to a domestic violence call.
I read it, but I guess I didn't understand it.

Full circle, and back to Porter...if he blacked her eye in a domestic violence assault, and the picture is proof of that assault, he would have went to jail. But, he didn't.

At this point, I see no reason why Rob Porter shouldn't still be working in the Whitehouse.
Old 02-16-18, 03:58 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's my understanding too.
Old 02-16-18, 04:15 PM
All District

Quote:
I read it, but I guess I didn't understand it.

Full circle, and back to Porter...if he blacked her eye in a domestic violence assault, and the picture is proof of that assault, he would have went to jail. But, he didn't.

At this point, I see no reason why Rob Porter shouldn't still be working in the Whitehouse.
Removed from premises does not mean to go jail, especially if you have a really good lawyer from being wealthy. Thus there would be no booking, or arrest, but still a report of domestic violence.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-18, 06:19 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is the whole point of the movement. Men in power get away with it. Victims of men in power get shamed and ruined.
Like Paula Jones, or Monica Lewinsky.
Old 02-16-18, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Just pointing out all the things you btched about for 8 years are ok now. Guess that's politics.

Btw, Obama tripled the Dow and we added more jobs in 14-15-16 than Trump in 17 but so glad Trump turned it around, lol. No doubt another trillion+ spending was a nice little boost, sadly we just couldn't afford it till now.
Dow was over 14K less than a month before the 08 Election. Stock Market was built up by QE 1, 2 and 3.

It wasn't like Obama did this miracle work with the Stock Market.
Old 02-16-18, 07:21 PM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
The POTUS had an affair with a Playboy Model and it is not even making headlines. #CHAOS
Old 02-16-18, 07:23 PM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Dow was over 14K less than a month before the 08 Election. Stock Market was built up by QE 1, 2 and 3.

It wasn't like Obama did this miracle work with the Stock Market.
Could the Trump team handle what Obama's(and W) team had to deal with I doubt it. The dysfunction would have created chaos and the 2008 crash could have spiraled into a much much much bigger crisis.
Old 02-16-18, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
Could the Trump team handle what Obama's(and W) team had to deal with I doubt it. The dysfunction would have created chaos and the 2008 crash could have spiraled into a much much much bigger crisis.
Old 02-16-18, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The POTUS had an affair with a Playboy Model and it is not even making headlines. #CHAOS
#desparate
Old 02-16-18, 08:13 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Do you really think the Dems want to pursue this story? I am sure there is lots of dirt on both sides on this issue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: