Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-02-17, 01:00 PM
Freshman

#politics is on a distinguished road
baseball

How is Elder going to be this year? Has tryouts been concluded? Whats the 3 levels look like.....wanting the spring to get here.
Old 03-03-17, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by #politics View Post
How is Elder going to be this year? Has tryouts been concluded? Whats the 3 levels look like.....wanting the spring to get here.
I can only speak to Varsity, but the staff of Service, Mosely, and Connor should be solid. They still need a major bat in addition to Powell. Even though last year was a total disaster, Thompson deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Old 03-14-17, 10:30 AM
Junior Varsity

pantherland is on a distinguished road
What's the varsity roster looking like? Any surprises? What about the freshman team? I know Visi was supposed to have a great baseball class coming into Elder. How many of those kids made the team?
Old 03-14-17, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

Two pretty strong classes up on Varsity. I expect the Pitching to be back in form, the big question is where the hitting will come from outside of Powell.
Old 03-25-17, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

Not a great start to the year losing 3-2 to Cville.
Old 03-26-17, 10:31 AM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Not a great start to the year losing 3-2 to Cville.
One game, doesn't mean much at all
Old 03-26-17, 11:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
One game, doesn't mean much at all
Probably not, but the continued trend of bad hitting does worry me. And even though EHS01 deleted Trey's comments, I feel the need to reiterate how dumb he is. Trey wants us to believe there's a myriad of kids out there who either were cut or discouraged from ever trying out for the major 3 sports. Yes, there's favoritism that goes on and it's bogus. However, that's not why they've been average in the big 3 lately. It's talent. The kids Trey wants you to believe are getting the raw deal aren't good enough to move the needle to make Elder more successful. It's not like Elder cut the next Charlie Leesman. A change in philosophy is already taking place in football with their new initiatives, baseball needs to figure out how to develop hitters. Basketball will be going into the gutter, there's no nice way to say it.
Old 03-27-17, 07:55 AM
Freshman

#politics is on a distinguished road
Actually they do cut kids that can move the needle, especially when it comes to hitting. Elder's way of playing baseball worked well in the 90's when you had terrible fields that you played on and no fences. Back then you needed kids that could hit the ball on the ground, hope for the bad bounce and play small ball. Today, the fields are immaculate and all have fences which lends itself to power hitters. Not to mention, kids are working year round on their swing and are hitting the weight room. Why are they doing this if Elder wants them to be punching Judy hitters. I know for a fact a couple of kids with plus power and gap to gap power were cut in favor of kids who can slap the ball on the ground to the right side. Why does Oak Hills, Lasalle and Moeller consistently send kids to the next level? Because they allow kids to play to their strengths and develop them to play today's game. As long as Elder is stuck in their ways the baseball program will continue to be mediocre.
Old 03-27-17, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Actually they do cut kids that can move the needle, especially when it comes to hitting. Elder's way of playing baseball worked well in the 90's when you had terrible fields that you played on and no fences. Back then you needed kids that could hit the ball on the ground, hope for the bad bounce and play small ball. Today, the fields are immaculate and all have fences which lends itself to power hitters. Not to mention, kids are working year round on their swing and are hitting the weight room. Why are they doing this if Elder wants them to be punching Judy hitters. I know for a fact a couple of kids with plus power and gap to gap power were cut in favor of kids who can slap the ball on the ground to the right side. Why does Oak Hills, Lasalle and Moeller consistently send kids to the next level? Because they allow kids to play to their strengths and develop them to play today's game. As long as Elder is stuck in their ways the baseball program will continue to be mediocre.
There's zero chance Elder's sending away true power hitters. My guess is you're referencing are .230 hitters who strike out a ton. I'm not happy with how they've performed in the years since that '12 team nearly won state. Fact is, they've had some D1 talent, but not enough to compete with the Moeller Machine.
Old 03-27-17, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
By coming on here and complaining about it you're not helping little Johnny make the team next year either.
Old 03-27-17, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
If you guys want to have a pity party about kids being cut from the baseball team, go derail another thread. Please keep this one on topic.
Old 03-27-17, 03:12 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Very similar to the defense first approach in basketball. Get some guys that can score (extra base hitters). It's great to have defenders (slap hitters)...they are very important. But you can't compete with these state level teams with majority defenders (slap hitters) and only 1-2 guys that can score (extra base hitters).

Similar approach to baseball. It's not sour grapes, it's a different philosophical approach that ALOT of people think will lead to better results.

I tried to keep it baseball related so daddy wouldn't scold me.

Last edited by trey2k; 03-27-17 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 03:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Probably not, but the continued trend of bad hitting does worry me. And even though EHS01 deleted Trey's comments, I feel the need to reiterate how dumb he is. Trey wants us to believe there's a myriad of kids out there who either were cut or discouraged from ever trying out for the major 3 sports. Yes, there's favoritism that goes on and it's bogus. However, that's not why they've been average in the big 3 lately. It's talent. The kids Trey wants you to believe are getting the raw deal aren't good enough to move the needle to make Elder more successful. It's not like Elder cut the next Charlie Leesman. A change in philosophy is already taking place in football with their new initiatives, baseball needs to figure out how to develop hitters. Basketball will be going into the gutter, there's no nice way to say it.
And that's never what I said. Again, I said:

1) Elder needs to open up recruitment to compete with everyone else on a state level that has (agree on the talent issue); and
2) If they are not going to do that (admin choice - which apparently they aren't going to do), then they need to be giving all kids an equal chance of making teams, not just the connected ones, and the ones that dominated in grade school. In my opinion, that even further limits their numbers.

It's really not that hard to understand. And frankly, it's very hard to argue this based on their success over the last 5-10 years in all 3 major sports. This isn't really all that controversial if you ask me....it's kind of obvious.

Last edited by trey2k; 03-27-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 05:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Very similar to the defense first approach in basketball. Get some guys that can score (extra base hitters). It's great to have defenders (slap hitters)...they are very important. But you can't compete with these state level teams with majority defenders (slap hitters) and only 1-2 guys that can score (extra base hitters).

Similar approach to baseball. It's not sour grapes, it's a different philosophical approach that ALOT of people think will lead to better results.

I tried to keep it baseball related so daddy wouldn't scold me.
You realize in HS baseball, hitting for average is more important than hitting for power. They don't cut kids strictly to fit the team philosophy. A kid that's a good contact hitter with power will make the team.

It's not the baseball philosophy that's churned out average results, it's just not having the hitting talent. Having a deep staff is the most important thing to win state.
Old 03-28-17, 05:49 AM
All Yappi

The baseball team beat Ryle 11-3 yesterday.
Old 03-28-17, 07:55 AM
All American

Do all 3 levels play at the PAC for home games? I've never been to a game at the PAC, may have to check one out.
Old 03-28-17, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Do all 3 levels play at the PAC for home games? I've never been to a game at the PAC, may have to check one out.
Varsity and JV do. Most of the Freshman team's home games are at main baseball field at Cheviot Fieldhouse though they do play 2 games at the PAC this season.
Old 03-28-17, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

Getting into GCL play already, all 3 levels take on Moe Wed.
Old 03-28-17, 03:52 PM
All District

vanman396 is on a distinguished road
Can someone please post the rosters for all 3 levels? Thank you!
Old 03-29-17, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Getting into GCL play already, all 3 levels take on Moe Wed.
Varsity game was postponed for today (03/29/2017). Frosh and JV games are still on as scheduled.
Old 03-29-17, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Varsity game was postponed for today (03/29/2017). Frosh and JV games are still on as scheduled.
Why? I don't see rain being forecasted. Over the next week the only Sat and Sun are supposed to be dry.
Old 03-29-17, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Why? I don't see rain being forecasted. Over the next week the only Sat and Sun are supposed to be dry.
My assumption is that the field at Schuler Park is unplayable due to rain that fell the past few days.
Old 03-30-17, 10:03 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
2 games in a row cancelled....whoever maintains fields at both the PAC and Schuler Park needs to get it together...it didn't rain THAT much.

I'm really not that serious, but I would think the fields could've been worked into playing shape relatively easily.
Old 03-31-17, 06:07 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
2 games in a row cancelled....whoever maintains fields at both the PAC and Schuler Park needs to get it together...it didn't rain THAT much.

I'm really not that serious, but I would think the fields could've been worked into playing shape relatively easily.
You my Friend, have no clue what it takes to get a BB field ready after the kind of rain we have had. Not to mention the cold weather prior to the rain this month. You do not want to tear up a BB field and risk ruining it for the rest of the season because you want to play games early. With that said, I take care of the field at the PAC and we played on it Monday (when NO one else in the city was playing by the way). We tarpped it Monday night but the field could not handle the rain we got Monday night so Tuesday was rained out. As for Wed, the PAC was playable (not sure the issue at Schuler) but we hosted a 17 team Track Meet and could not handle BB game at the same time because of parking. 17 Track team bring a whole lot of people. Playing at the PAC was not an option (but was playable).

Also, getting a BB field in playing shape is at times, NOT very easy. As I stated previous, you do not want to destroy your field for the entire season just because you want to try and play a game on a questionable field. You also risk injury if the field is not in good shape.

Rain again last night, most fields in Cincy will not be playable today. The ground has not had a chance to dry out and it can only take so much water.

I invite you to come help with the prep for the field anytime you want to but understand you can only do so much to get it ready. Mother Nature needs to help out a little.

Coach McCoy

PS Ok, off my soapbox. Sorry JM if it sounds like im upset but getting BB field ready isn't as easy as you stated. Some springs are good weather wise but some aren't and so far this spring has been riddled with rain every other day.
Old 03-31-17, 06:35 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
weather and BB rainouts

Just some info for those who are wondering what the future weather brings. Looked at the 10 forecast and next week rain predicted on Mon, Wed and Fri with NO sun (overcast everyday). The following week rain predicted everyday!!! I realize we live in Cincinnati and the predictions aren't always correct but not looking good for BB in the next few weeks. Hopefully it's not one of those bad springs.
Old 03-31-17, 07:17 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCoy View Post
You my Friend, have no clue what it takes to get a BB field ready after the kind of rain we have had. Not to mention the cold weather prior to the rain this month. You do not want to tear up a BB field and risk ruining it for the rest of the season because you want to play games early. With that said, I take care of the field at the PAC and we played on it Monday (when NO one else in the city was playing by the way). We tarpped it Monday night but the field could not handle the rain we got Monday night so Tuesday was rained out. As for Wed, the PAC was playable (not sure the issue at Schuler) but we hosted a 17 team Track Meet and could not handle BB game at the same time because of parking. 17 Track team bring a whole lot of people. Playing at the PAC was not an option (but was playable).

Also, getting a BB field in playing shape is at times, NOT very easy. As I stated previous, you do not want to destroy your field for the entire season just because you want to try and play a game on a questionable field. You also risk injury if the field is not in good shape.

Rain again last night, most fields in Cincy will not be playable today. The ground has not had a chance to dry out and it can only take so much water.

I invite you to come help with the prep for the field anytime you want to but understand you can only do so much to get it ready. Mother Nature needs to help out a little.

Coach McCoy

PS Ok, off my soapbox. Sorry JM if it sounds like im upset but getting BB field ready isn't as easy as you stated. Some springs are good weather wise but some aren't and so far this spring has been riddled with rain every other day.

All good. I should've stressed I was not really bothered but it can't really come across the way I meant via internet message board. I did bring it up though because I know of other games still played tuesday and wednesday in our area and the fields were in solid shape and with the insane amount of games moved/cancelled last year all around the city, you have to wonder if maybe the fields will just have to get a little messed up no matter what, given the amount of rain we get in the spring.....Then again, the PAC probably has much better quality infield dirt among other factors.
Old 03-31-17, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

Varsity loses 9-2. I know its early, but that result is unacceptable. It's one thing to lose a close game, it's an entirely different story to get blown out w/ your Ace on the mound. I don't want to hear any bs about Moe recruiting or the politics, this is about Elder underperforming. You've got two classes that won GCL at lower levels and to get an azz kicking like they did today is garbage.
Old 03-31-17, 07:28 PM
All American

And here we go...
Old 03-31-17, 07:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And here we go...
I'm waiting for you to tell me how politics caused them to lose by 7 runs. Elder should not be this bad at a sport where you can with average sized white kids.
Old 04-01-17, 07:56 AM
All District

ElderHockeyDad
Quote:
Varsity loses 9-2. I know its early, but that result is unacceptable. It's one thing to lose a close game, it's an entirely different story to get blown out w/ your Ace on the mound. I don't want to hear any bs about Moe recruiting or the politics, this is about Elder underperforming. You've got two classes that won GCL at lower levels and to get an azz kicking like they did today is garbage.
Never mind, you just don't get it.

Last edited by ElderHockeyDad; 04-01-17 at 12:03 PM.