Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-24-14, 08:17 PM
Freshman

loweracademykid845 is on a distinguished road
Impact of New Teacher Contract on Elder's Teaching Ranks

Does anyone know just how many teachers Elder is losing for the 2014-2015 school year due to the Archdiocese's new contract?

After I saw a flood of "help wanted" ads for new instructors on Elder's FB page, I started asking around. Somebody told me Mr. Sharp is leaving due to this, but it might be a rumor.
Old 05-24-14, 10:20 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by loweracademykid845 View Post
Does anyone know just how many teachers Elder is losing for the 2014-2015 school year due to the Archdiocese's new contract?

After I saw a flood of "help wanted" ads for new instructors on Elder's FB page, I started asking around. Somebody told me Mr. Sharp is leaving due to this, but it might be a rumor.
Some "help wanted" ads maybe from Retirements. I am pretty sure Elder has at least a handful of Teachers with 40yrs. in or more maybe! Any place on the internet to actually read the "old" and "new" contract?
Old 05-27-14, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
I thought Doc Sharp had pretty much announced his retirement before this school year started, well before the new contract came out.

Last edited by PantherVOR; 05-27-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 09:11 AM
All Region

sideline89 is on a distinguished road
If anyone is leaving due to the new contract, then maybe they shouldn't have been teaching at a Catholic School in the 1st place IMO.
Old 05-27-14, 12:08 PM
Cooling Off

Shawn Kemps Kids is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by loweracademykid845 View Post

Doc Sharp has talked about retiring for a number of years now and as PVOR already pointed out made it pretty well known he was retiring before the year started.
Old 05-27-14, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
I thought Doc Sharp had pretty much announced his retirement before this school year started, well before the new contract came out.
That is what I heard also. I'd think the new contract will have a minimal effect at best.

It'll probably effect schools like Purcell more where the teachers as a whole seem far more concerned about social issues than academics.
Old 05-27-14, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
I do not know enough about the contract specifics but IMO the Archdiocese is wrong to be so heavy handed with this policy.

How can you tell someone who cannot get pregnant by traditional methods they may lose their job by bringing children into this world via invitro fertilization?

How can you tell someone that has a homosexual child, if you publicly support that gay child, you can lose your job?
Old 05-27-14, 02:14 PM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
How can you fault the Catholic Church for enforcing their views? If you call yourself a Catholic, do you share the views of the Catholic Church? If not, maybe you should find a new religion. Maybe you can start your own church - The Church of PURPLE REIGN. There you can write your own beliefs and preach to your practitioners.
Old 05-27-14, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHSfan02 View Post
How can you fault the Catholic Church for enforcing their views? If you call yourself a Catholic, do you share the views of the Catholic Church? If not, maybe you should find a new religion. Maybe you can start your own church - The Church of PURPLE REIGN. There you can write your own beliefs and preach to your practitioners.
The Church is it's own worst enemy along those lines. You have priests and nuns out there giving mixed messages on some of the same teachings of the church that are addressed in that contract. Don't like the opinions you get from one priest, find another one to talk to until you get the message you are looking for. The Church denounces homosexuality but employs priests who are not only homosexual but child predators and when they are caught they hide them.

I understand your point, really I do, but why are all these types of things only enforced on the lay employees and volunteers of the church. I have a hard time siding with our Archdiocese on this issue. If the church want's us to take their teaching's seriously then it's time for the double standard to end.
Old 05-27-14, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Don hit the nail on the head here. This contract update is merely putting into writing what the archdiocese probably thought was always there.

People like that clown Mike Moroski can no longer use their position within a Catholic high school to promote activities and lifestyles that are so obviously against what the Catholic church stands for.
Old 05-27-14, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Denouncing homosexuality and in-vitro is tantamount to insisting the world is flat. Just dumb, IMO.
Old 05-27-14, 03:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

If I don't like the Archdiocese contract, I should start my own religion...how very ignorant of you. I do not blindly agree 100% with the views of any establishment. I have my own opinions and beliefs.

What are your thoughts with the United States enforcing their view of women in the early 1900's or blacks until the 1960's?

They were wrong then and IMO the Archdiocese is wrong to be so heavy handed with this policy now.
Old 05-27-14, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Denouncing homosexuality and in-vitro is tantamount to insisting the world is flat. Just dumb, IMO.
Old 05-27-14, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Don hit the nail on the head here. This contract update is merely putting into writing what the archdiocese probably thought was always there.

People like that clown Mike Moroski can no longer use their position within a Catholic high school to promote activities and lifestyles that are so obviously against what the Catholic church stands for.
They are really going to discipline employees for having premarital sex? That's crazy.
Old 05-27-14, 04:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They are really going to discipline employees for having premarital sex? That's crazy.
Unless you are a priest. In which case you will simply be transferred by the archdiocese to another assignment.
Old 05-27-14, 04:24 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
You can't fault the Catholic Church, but you can fault the Archdiocese for going against what the Pope has been saying. Has Pope Francis not been trying to convince the Catholic Church to accept homosexuality?
Old 05-27-14, 04:33 PM
Cooling Off

Nelson Van Alden has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
+1. It's totally asinine, and they could lose some wonderful teachers because of such an outdated view. Catholic school teachers already make less money than public school teachers, and you want to dictate their personal lives now too?

My guess is Elder will probably be the least impacted of all the local Catholic schools, because it is so conservative, and a good majority of the faculty are married men. However, this seems like a very un-Christian like policy. The Golden rule anyone? Doesn't seem like it applies here.
Old 05-27-14, 04:35 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Unless you are a priest. In which case you will simply be transferred by the archdiocese to another assignment.
Actually, what Stritty and Kiffmeyer were doing was infinitely worse. Completely boggles my mind, they can black that whole period out, but then try to impose a Draconian policy like this.
Old 05-27-14, 04:57 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The Catholic Church is losing members in droves because of ridiculous standards like the new contracts. The double standards are out of control.
Old 05-27-14, 06:28 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
So Sad but True!!!
Old 05-27-14, 06:57 PM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post

The Catholic Church is losing members in droves because of ridiculous standards like the new contracts. The double standards are out of control.
Then find a new Church! Find a religion that shares your views on life.
Old 05-27-14, 08:08 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
The Catholic faith is losing members in large numbers bc of things like this. That's why the new Pope has been a blessing in his pragmatic views on societal issues, where in the past, the church was too unbending in their beliefs. Also, it's in poor taste to do something this harsh when less than 10 years ago it was revealed decades of abuse were covered up. Hard to imagine protecting child rapists is in strict line with the church teachings.

There's no "one fits all" faith for everyone, bc people disagree with the strong arm tactics of the diocese on this doesn't mean they do not value other critical teachings of the church. Implying such is narrow minded and stubborn.
Old 05-27-14, 09:19 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
I totally agree with many of you about the double standards when it comes to the church, with the abuse cover ups and all that. It does make it hard to support them on an issue like this with such an ugly past of covering up terrible abuses. I dont think a person's personal life should have any bearing on whether they can teach at a catholic school or not. That is over the line IMO.

What I do have a problem with is some of these teachers clearly seem to be using their classroom as a platform to promote and push these social issues on the students in direct conflict with church teachings. Bottom line for me is it is fine to have these personal beliefs or even lifestyle, but dont push your personal beliefs or agenda in the classroom. Based on some of the comments I've seen by a few of the teachers in the middle of all this that is clearly what was going on at places like Purcell.
Old 05-27-14, 09:36 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Van Alden View Post
That's why the new Pope has been a blessing in his pragmatic views on societal issues, where in the past, the church was too unbending in their beliefs.
Ok, I'll bite. What teachings has the new Pope changed? If you think he has changed any, then you never knew what the Church was teaching to begin with. I also like his tone, but not one bit dogma or teachings have changed.
Old 05-27-14, 09:58 PM
Cooling Off

I don't see anywhere where he said the Pope changed any teachings or dogma. He said his views on societal issues has been a blessing.
Old 05-27-14, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've already moved on from the Church as many others have. At the same time my kids can form their own opinion on which Religion they would like to practice. I also believe in sending my kids to Catholic schools, but that's not because of the Church.
Old 05-27-14, 10:18 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
I've already moved on from the Church as many others have. At the same time my kids can form their own opinion on which Religion they would like to practice. I also believe in sending my kids to Catholic schools, but that's not because of the Church.
Agreed, 100%.
Old 05-27-14, 10:21 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What teachings has the new Pope changed? If you think he has changed any, then you never knew what the Church was teaching to begin with. I also like his tone, but not one bit dogma or teachings have changed.
I never said he changed anything in accordance with Catholic law. However, what he's been preaching is exactly what the Catholic faith should be about. It shouldn't be based on strict adherence to rules, it's about compassion and loving people outside of defined guidelines.
Old 05-28-14, 06:07 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Van Alden View Post
I never said he changed anything in accordance with Catholic law. However, what he's been preaching is exactly what the Catholic faith should be about. It shouldn't be based on strict adherence to rules, it's about compassion and loving people outside of defined guidelines.
Agreed, but I do not recall JPI, JPII, or Benedict doing otherwise.
Old 05-28-14, 08:59 AM
All Region

sideline89 is on a distinguished road
Lets not confuse the Church with Churchmen. Individual Priest, Bishops, Nuns, even whole Orders of religious can be bad, and give bad advise. That is why it is important for Lay Catholics to know their Faith. The Laws of Morality are no different than the Laws of Gravity. Try to ignore them and bad things happen. The Church can no more say that Gay marriage is ok, than they can say that 2 + 2 equals 5. The Church is in the business of saving souls, not popularity contest. Popes, Bishops, and Priest have tried the popularity contest the last 50 years and lost a lot of credibility. The Church can only reflect God and his Truths, So if people have issues with that, then they have a problem with more than the Church.