Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-14-18, 06:39 AM
All District

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Has this been a disappointing season for the Eagles?
Old 02-14-18, 06:43 AM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Next year? You must be a Browns fan. I'd say the lineup is set. What you saw versus Graham was likely it. I agree that 170, 182, and heavy had changes all year. I'd bet you see the seniors at 182 and heavyweight. As for next year the upper weights will be a big problem again and I expect the middle to be a problem as I think Paddy and Hightower could stay at their weights again. Assuming they each go up we will have a problem if Dover can't make 152 and Andonian 145. Plus Hepner should be at least 138. OMalley could grow into 220 and Garcar could grow into 195. I hear there is a young guy that could fill 182. Kilbane at heavy? Lots of questions. Let's enjoy this year first.
Old 02-14-18, 12:24 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Huge no question in my mind this team will compete for a national title next year. I think the upper weights will be stronger next year then this past year. Several names that never saw the mat this year may make an impact between 70-95. Lisco would have been a state placer this year if healthy all year long. IF the 5 impact 8th graders and 1 transfer come into the mix, this team is going to be scary good. I doubt all 6 will walk in the doors in 6 months but IF they do this team is set for the next 3 years.
Old 02-15-18, 11:19 AM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Wow 5 impact freshman and a transfer would be one of the better classes St Eds has had in a while. St Eds will challenge next year but probably just don't have enough unless the upper weights really transform. Blair and Montini Catholic will be awful tough next year.
Old 02-15-18, 12:11 PM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Huge no question in my mind this team will compete for a national title next year. I think the upper weights will be stronger next year then this past year. Several names that never saw the mat this year may make an impact between 70-95. Lisco would have been a state placer this year if healthy all year long. IF the 5 impact 8th graders and 1 transfer come into the mix, this team is going to be scary good. I doubt all 6 will walk in the doors in 6 months but IF they do this team is set for the next 3 years.
I would love to see Eds or SGP break the grip Blair, aka The Evil Empire, has on the national title, but it won't happen next year., IMO. Blair returns a whopping 6 NR wrestlers. And they have an uncanny ability of scouring the 50 states and finding replacements nearly every year. Eds, BTW, returns 2 NR wrestlers in Andonian and Dover (both currently juniors). They may add to that total, but I doubt they can match Blair.

SPG meanwhile will be rebuilding next year as they will need to replace all 4 of their NR guys. I think Eds will be very good, and should will win the battle with SPG for the claim as the best all division HS in OH. The most likely challenger for Eds will be LaSalle, but first they need to get a deeper lineup and not give away FFs to top level teams. These FFs shouldn't hamper their ability to compete well at Ironman and the state tourny (individual), but I still think Eds is the team to beat until someone does it in D1.
Old 02-15-18, 12:54 PM
Freshman

goforthegold is on a distinguished road
I agree with HUGE. EDs needs help in the upper weights. I believe the loss of two wrestlers is not getting much attention here. Matt Kazimir and Cody Howard will be lost to graduation. They will be very difficult to replace. These two guys are essentially a pin or major decision 95% of the time.
Old 02-15-18, 01:03 PM
All Region

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
My son had the fortune of wrestling Cody Howard and that kid is the most fun wrestler I’ve seen. He has a motor like I have never seen before. Seeing him at Ironman against number 2 ranked Michael Beard was awesome as Beard got an early lead and Howard’s motor broke Beard as Howard pushed the action until the very end. He may have lost a close one but the whole gym was cheering for him bc of his intensity- that will be a big loss for them
Old 02-15-18, 01:45 PM
All American

No question Cody and Kaz will be huge holes to fill but i believe Eagle fans will be surprised not only with the incoming students but the younger wrestlers who improved all year long. The upper weights will be fine. In fact, stronger then this year. Time will tell.
Old 02-17-18, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagle71 View Post
Has this been a disappointing season for the Eagles?
I would not think that it is a disappointing year, of course the season is not finished. But the Eagles have done very well and competed against the best teams in the country. Their 6 dual meet losses are to top 5 teams, including 2 losses to SPG. The SPG matches would have been different if St. Eds wins the coin flip in both matches, but they didn't and they lost, that's the way it goes. Ranked 8th nationally I think is a fair ranking, however they need to finish strong and win the individual tournament. Should that happen I would say it would be a very good year for St. Eds wrestling.
Old 02-17-18, 12:53 PM
All Ohio

Id say the biggest disappointment was getting blown out by Montini but they had their best team every this year and our match ups were our good against their great. I hope they wrestle the best every year. Would love to see Eds, SPG, Blair, Wyomin Sem dual event every year. Maybe at a neutral site such as Pitt? I'd go.
I'd also love to see The top 8 catholic schools in a dual tourney.
Old 02-18-18, 12:57 AM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Guys are allowed to get better and the ones that work hard all summer and compete over the summer will get better. Look at O'Malley as an example. No one had him penciled into the starting lineup this time last year. Then all he does is wrestle up a weight class at the toughest tournament in the country and places right out of the gate. He was a 195 going 220 most of the year. He wrestled 195 at two events all year and 220 at everything else. He will be a stud next year when he isn't giving up weight in every match.

At heavyweight you have to like what you saw from SOPHOMORE, Kilbane. Let me repeat that, SOPHOMORE. He went toe to toe with some of the Nations absolute best as a SOPHOMORE. He will continue to get better and will be a force.

I agree with the statements about Lisco. That kid is good. Injuries may have slowed him this year, but he is only a Sophomore as well and will get healthy and continue to get better.

Then of course you have the slew of guys who have been working hard all year getting better everyday in practice. All it takes is for a couple of those guys to get hyper-focused all off season and summer long to make a big jump and become a force. Look at Cody Howard as a great example. No one thought anything of Cody being a great wrestler as an underclassmen, but he was wrestling at everything he could all offseason long and woah and behold he got better and better and better and now he is going to college at Virginia Tech with a wrestling scholarship. There are a handful of guys on the current team that no one has heard from yet that will make a major impact in the years ahead because they will continue to work hard and get better.

As Coach Urbas always says "You are allowed to get better." Everyday, you can get better and the kids who want to, they will. It will show up as soon as next year I believe.
Old 02-18-18, 03:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Id say the biggest disappointment was getting blown out by Montini but they had their best team every this year and our match ups were our good against their great. I hope they wrestle the best every year. Would love to see Eds, SPG, Blair, Wyomin Sem dual event every year. Maybe at a neutral site such as Pitt? I'd go.
I'd also love to see The top 8 catholic schools in a dual tourney.
Did you see what Montini did at their State Tournament?

Remember their unranked in the State 106, 126, 145, and 182 heading into the clash a couple months ago?

106- Took 4th and is nationally ranked now by Flo, was #3 ranked in the State going in.

113- Took 2nd and is nationally ranked #7. Ranked 1st going in.

120- #4 ranked nationally and took 4th in their State tournament, injury maybe, ranked 1st in the State going in.

126- Placed 4th. he was an HM going in.

132- Real Woods won his 3rd title in dominate fashion.

138- Mayora finished as runner up.

145- State Champ over Kendall Coleman in the finals. This was a "bad loss" at the time for Dover. He is nationally ranked now and was ranked 1st in the State

152- Lewan has been nationally ranked in the top 5 for like two years, but was upset in the State finals, ranked 1st going in.

160- State Champ, had two wins by decision over Hightower. Ranked 1st in the State going in.

170- Dnp and unranked

182- DNP, was ranked #2 in the State going in.

195- State Champ, they bumped him up to face O'Malley rather than face Howard.

220- DNP and unranked going in

Hvy- DNP and unranked going in

Fairly interesting results. To say Montini was an excellent dual team that was also a matchup nightmare for St. Ed's is an understatement. Hopefully we see them dual again next year.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge1; 02-18-18 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 04:22 PM
All Ohio

CG, thanks for the details. Considering they also beat Bergen's best team in years this was a great team and no shame in losing. Eds has never been afraid to lose but are unaccustomed to being on the short end of a score like that. In the long run I expect them to perform even better than some might expect come March. Ultimately this season showed the outstanding underclass men how far they can still go . Great job guys. The real season starts next week!
Old 02-19-18, 11:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge1 View Post
Guys are allowed to get better.

At heavyweight you have to like what you saw from SOPHOMORE, Kilbane. Let me repeat that, SOPHOMORE. He went toe to toe with some of the Nations absolute best as a SOPHOMORE. He will continue to get better and will be a force.

I agree with the statements about Lisco. That kid is good. Injuries may have slowed him this year, but he is only a Sophomore as well and will get healthy and continue to get better.

As Coach Urbas always says "You are allowed to get better." Everyday, you can get better and the kids who want to, they will. It will show up as soon as next year I believe.
Curious well said. Ed's has 3 very talented Sophomore's in the upper weights (82-hwy) and 2 more most fans didn't even see wrestle. I will stand behind my previous post. This team (if healthy) will compete for a national title. I understand Blair is loaded and will reload but this team is VERY young and has some serious depth in the room not to mention the talent coming this fall. No need to worry about the upper weights because we have plenty of talent. They may not be nationally ranked kids in December but will improve before March of 2019.

I really hope Ed's can schedule a tri or Quad with Blair, SPG and LaSalle involved.
Old 03-02-18, 12:38 AM
All American

Outside of the Ironman, the district tournament is my favorite weekend of wrestling during the high school season. Nothing quite compares to the Consolation Semi-Final matches on Saturday morning. Those matches are otherwise referred to as the "go to" matches, as a birth to the State Tournament in on the line with the winner guaranteeing themselves a spot in Columbus and the loser's season is over (barring an unlikely alternate birth).. The pressure is high and the tension is palpable. I love it.

Good luck to all Ed's wrestlers and especially to all four of the Seniors in the district tournament: Kazimir, Howard, Santillo, and Zakaib. These guys had to deal with being called "the worst class" in over 20 years, in over 30 years, in over 40 years, ad nauseam. All they did in response...is keep working hard! Now, they will go out as a top 10 team in the United States, and have a very good chance to end as State Champions!
Old 03-02-18, 10:46 PM
All American

28-0 record on the first day of districts! Wow! Just Wow!
Old 03-03-18, 04:01 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
12 advance to state by my count
Old 03-03-18, 04:13 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
12 advance to state by my count
"Worst STED team in years..." Didn't I read something similar to that?
Old 03-03-18, 11:14 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
CuriousGeorge1

Can you give a brief overview of the current status and future at the 182# weight class? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-18, 06:49 PM
All District

Redflagday is on a distinguished road
106 loss
120 win dec
126 win md
Old 03-08-18, 06:56 PM
All District

132 win pin
138 win tf
Old 03-08-18, 07:05 PM
All District

145 win md
152 win tf
Old 03-08-18, 07:13 PM
All District

160 win dec
170 loss
195 win pin
Old 03-08-18, 07:25 PM
All District

220 loss
Hvy loss
Eagles go 8-4
Brecksville 8-2 Lasalle 7-3 wadsworth 8-1 Massillon Perry 7-1
Old 03-08-18, 09:21 PM
All District

4-0 in consolation
Old 03-09-18, 12:26 PM
All District

Eagles get 6 to semis
126 dec
132 dec
138 pin
145 dec
152 pin
195 pin
Old 03-09-18, 02:33 PM
All District

Eagles go 3-3 in blood Rd. 106 120 220 win. 9 placers. Great job by all wrestlers.
Old 03-09-18, 09:49 PM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Nice Showing, state championship is all but wrapped up. 9 placers and would have been 10 if Hightower wasn't injured. All but 2 of those 10 return next year. Man I really thought Paddy was gonna do it versus Marsh.
Old 03-10-18, 09:20 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Bryce Hepner and Bryce Andonian (his 2nd) get titles, the 107th and 108th state champions in St. Edward wrestling history (by my count)
Old 03-10-18, 09:32 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Seemed like the most competitive tournament in terms of the depth of teams with a good chance to win it all. Congrats to the eagles on once again silencing the critics too.

You always here how they recruit and what not and then you read about the freshman 106 that placed in the state tournament after his first year of competitive wrestling. Great job from the staff.