Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-25-15, 07:36 PM
All District

Seppo Kaitainen is on a distinguished road
This doesn't feel like XC

I was looking at the regional sites and saw this:
http://www.baumspage.com/cc/reg/tiff...rs_d_Teams.pdf

It's the new information for the Tiffin regional. I know that charging $7 a head will generate a lot of money, but is it necessary? Fences and corrals doesn't feel like cross country to me. I wonder what we're getting for all that money (other than headache and angry parents)?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-15, 08:21 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
I'm not excited about the change, but if spectators pay at every other sport's regional competitions it only seems fitting that they do the same at cross-country championships.
Old 10-26-15, 12:06 AM
All District

KevinL is on a distinguished road
Not necessary. Spectators pay at other events because there may be less supply of available seating compared to demand to see the event (for free). Other than state, cross country does not have this issue.
Old 10-26-15, 04:26 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
I also saw a $7.00 feee also listed for the Troy regional. I've been going there ever since the meet went to Troy from Weatherwax golf course in Middletown, and this will be the first year I've known that there is a fee to get in, not really sure how they will block off the entire course to prevent people from just walking in.
Old 10-26-15, 07:47 AM
All Ohio

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
I don't mind paying for a regional meet. I suppose I would hope that the money generated is well-spent, but I for sure get $7 of entertainment out of watching a Regional meet (especially when I have a kid running in it), so that seems more than OK to me.
Old 10-26-15, 07:59 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Maybe the state will see the cash cow that CC is and add a 4th division.
Old 10-26-15, 08:01 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
Not necessary. Spectators pay at other events because there may be less supply of available seating compared to demand to see the event (for free). Other than state, cross country does not have this issue.
I've been going to high school events for decades and can't remember the last time I was an an event where there was an issue with available seating, with the possible exception of the stands at the state meet in CC. I really don't think they're charging fees to keep attendance down at the events.

They charge $$$ because it costs money to run the event. If I remember correctly, the OHSAA has lost money every year on the regional/state tournament for CC. The money needs to come from some where. Why not from those who attend the events?
Old 10-26-15, 08:05 AM
All World

They lose money because they pay 8,000 officials to do 6 jobs. The SW district officials looked they were getting paid to stand around and talk.
Old 10-26-15, 08:22 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
I also saw a $7.00 feee also listed for the Troy regional. I've been going there ever since the meet went to Troy from Weatherwax golf course in Middletown, and this will be the first year I've known that there is a fee to get in, not really sure how they will block off the entire course to prevent people from just walking in.
I forget who mentioned it here, but at Troy there will a charge to park in the main lot. If you walk in, there will not be a charge. Allegedly.
Old 10-26-15, 08:44 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
They lose money because they pay 8,000 officials to do 6 jobs. The SW district officials looked they were getting paid to stand around and talk.
What exactly do you expect the officials to do, run along side of the kids? Clerk, make sure kids aren't cutting the course, finish line, start. Wait till your team doesn't qualify because a team had someone cut the course and you will change your tune.
Old 10-26-15, 08:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
What exactly do you expect the officials to do, run along side of the kids? Clerk, make sure kids aren't cutting the course, finish line, start. Wait till your team doesn't qualify because a team had someone cut the course and you will change your tune.
that already happened there 2 years ago. Kid cut right in front of the official and he saw it....did nothing. They had 3 gators there and 2 officials in each one. It was overkill. You can cut the 3 guys riding shotgun right there. You dont need 4 officials clerking a meet that size either. With chiptiming, you also dont need 8 officials at the finishline.
Old 10-26-15, 09:00 AM
All World

Gators have no place at a District meet. Should not be any lead vehicle. I can live with them at an invitational, but not in the post season. A trail vehicle for medical issues is ok, but no lead vehicles. Not sure why officials are in Gators.

At the finish line, you need officials too keep the herd moving and not block the camera's etc. Not sure of how many. 3-4 would be sufficient.
Old 10-26-15, 09:21 AM
All World

the runners at the district were being lapped with a half mile to go and the lead runners were having to go around the gator.
Old 10-26-15, 09:26 AM
Freshman

stew is on a distinguished road
In the d3 boys race at MVCC, the lead runners caught the trail gator about 600 meters from the finish. The first three where able to get past it before they entered a narrow area that runs adjacent to the finish line. The 4th and 5th runners weren't as lucky, they gator entered the narrow area taking up the whole path. They had to slow down and then had to push squeeze between it and the ropes marking off the area, to get past. This area ran for about 50 meters or more.

Last edited by stew; 10-26-15 at 11:23 AM..
Old 10-26-15, 09:31 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
In the d3 boys race at MVCC, the lead runners caugth the trail gator about 600 meters from the finish. The first three where able to get past it before they entered a narrow area that runs adjacent to the finishline. The 4th and 5th runners werent as lucky, they gator entered the narrow area taking up the whole path. They had to slow down and then had to push squeese between it and the ropes marking off the area, to get past. This area ran for about 50 meters or more.
If they are going to continue this format, the course needs widened in almost every spot. The woods for sure isnt 12 feet across in all spots.
Old 10-26-15, 12:10 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the d3 boys race at MVCC, the lead runners caught the trail gator about 600 meters from the finish. The first three where able to get past it before they entered a narrow area that runs adjacent to the finish line. The 4th and 5th runners weren't as lucky, they gator entered the narrow area taking up the whole path. They had to slow down and then had to push squeeze between it and the ropes marking off the area, to get past. This area ran for about 50 meters or more.
Sounds like they need new management for that district. That is unacceptable.
Old 10-26-15, 12:13 PM
Cooling Off

Shawn Kemps Kids is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty sure VOA charged when I was in high school so we just hopped some fences.
Old 10-26-15, 12:50 PM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Unforgivable-that can alter the outcome of a race or result in a competitor getting hurt. We almost had a problem at VOA like that as well with a trailing gator. I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing. On these tighter courses, they should consider using smaller ATVs.
Old 10-26-15, 08:15 PM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
I think Gators should be free to roam wherever they wish!
Old 10-26-15, 08:41 PM
All District

long time coach is on a distinguished road
No problem being treated like all other OHSAA sports and paying for Regionals....BUT lets treat cross country the same as other OHSAA sports and determine divisional assignments based on single gender enrollment...NOT combined enrollment!!.
Old 10-27-15, 02:44 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
Unforgivable-that can alter the outcome of a race or result in a competitor getting hurt. We almost had a problem at VOA like that as well with a trailing gator. I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing. On these tighter courses, they should consider using smaller ATVs.
How do you have a problem with a trailing gator? It should be TRAILING! Should it not? Maybe try not letting morons drive the TRAILING vehicle. Just one solution my very non honor roll 13 year old son came up with.
Old 10-27-15, 07:56 AM
All American

Quote:
How do you have a problem with a trailing gator? It should be TRAILING! Should it not? Maybe try not letting morons drive the TRAILING vehicle. Just one solution my very non honor roll 13 year old son came up with.
When you come up with a test for identifying morons, we can go with your plan. Sure seems that the proportion of morons is increasing.

A solution is to move to courses that don't run multiple loops, which is what is causing the issue. To be truthful, the real cause is kids after an entire season of cross country still running 35:00 5k times.
Old 10-27-15, 09:13 AM
All World

runningman; I would agree about the 35 min kid, but I had a kid this past Saturday that had stomach issues and refused to drop out of the race. First time in his life he had been involved in anything like a District meet and he was not going to quit no matter what. He had made improvements over the season from a 30+ min first race to down about 25 min by the time of the District. Most importantly, he was the only kid that showed for the bus that morning/ afternoon. He mostly walked a 36+ min. I was embarrassed until the crowed cheered him in. The sportsmanship shown was quite inspiring. He got on the bus and slept until he got home. The first kid in his school to participate at the OHSAA District level. No one but me there to support him. Soft spoken kid that only said "You told me never to quit, so I didn't."

The only goal for the entire season was to finish a team at the District. Only my worst kid of 7 showed for the bus and he was sick with the flu. So now I have 3/4 of a year to figure out how to make CC work at an urban school that only offers the sport so it can meet OHSAA requirements so it can have basketball. Which it is as bad at as CC.
Old 10-27-15, 09:30 AM
All American

Quote:
runningman; I would agree about the 35 min kid, but I had a kid this past Saturday that had stomach issues and refused to drop out of the race. First time in his life he had been involved in anything like a District meet and he was not going to quit no matter what. He had made improvements over the season from a 30+ min first race to down about 25 min by the time of the District. Most importantly, he was the only kid that showed for the bus that morning/ afternoon. He mostly walked a 36+ min. I was embarrassed until the crowed cheered him in. The sportsmanship shown was quite inspiring. He got on the bus and slept until he got home. The first kid in his school to participate at the OHSAA District level. No one but me there to support him. Soft spoken kid that only said "You told me never to quit, so I didn't."

The only goal for the entire season was to finish a team at the District. Only my worst kid of 7 showed for the bus and he was sick with the flu. So now I have 3/4 of a year to figure out how to make CC work at an urban school that only offers the sport so it can meet OHSAA requirements so it can have basketball. Which it is as bad at as CC.
Listen, I understand where you are coming from regarding the times and the kids. I do. Which is why I think a better approach is to deal with vehicle problem via an engineering approach vs trusting humans to do the "right thing".

About 3/4 of my boys were sick this weekend and were multiple minutes slower. My exact words were, "don't quit, finish what you started".
Old 10-27-15, 09:45 AM
All World

Oh, I wanted him to quit. Please please please drop out. The only thing anyone on the team listened to me about was don't quit. Not "Show up for every practice and show up to meets."
Old 10-27-15, 11:41 AM
All World

Dad, you have to bribe them with a free lunch......come on.
Old 10-27-15, 02:47 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kemps Kids View Post
Pretty sure VOA charged when I was in high school so we just hopped some fences.
I wore my team CC clothes, had a stop watch around my neck and carried a clipboard. I guess they thought I was a coach... never asked for any money.
Old 10-27-15, 02:52 PM
Cooling Off

Shawn Kemps Kids is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
I wore my team CC clothes, had a stop watch around my neck and carried a clipboard. I guess they thought I was a coach... never asked for any money.
Wonder why they thought that.
Old 10-27-15, 03:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Back in the day at scioto you used to be able to do that where the athletes would enter by the podium. Watched every state meet for years from the infield.
Old 10-27-15, 04:01 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
No kidding. I wondered if both officials riding in the gators were getting paid. What was the passenger official paid as much as the driver? (haha)