Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-06-18, 07:06 PM
All District

PatHelgerman is on a distinguished road
Centerville and LaSalle head CC jobs posted

I saw on the OHSAA job site that both Centerville and LaSalle have their head CC coaching jobs posted.

Does this mean a shift in the balance of power is coming at the top in Ohio?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-18, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHelgerman View Post
I saw on the OHSAA job site that both Centerville and LaSalle have their head CC coaching jobs posted.

Does this mean a shift in the balance of power is coming at the top in Ohio?
Not necessarily. Some parochial schools have tough times getting coaches in the building due to lack of pay and a lack of other available positions. LaSalle could struggle for that reason, but I would think Centerville would attract a good candidate and not miss a beat if the pipeline of talent is still intact. In all fairness though, Centerville girls are on top of the mountain, and there's only 1 direction to go from there...Time will tell...

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 06-06-18 at 11:29 PM..
Old 06-06-18, 09:30 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Centerville opening is for boys head coach
Old 06-06-18, 09:37 PM
Varsity

xcountry315 is on a distinguished road
The posting I see on OHSAA site is for the Boys cross country job at Centerville, not the girls. Boys have a good core of guys coming back. Could be a good gig for the right person.
Old 06-07-18, 10:29 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Seems like it is so easy for boys to choose between LaSalle and St. X. It will be an uphill battle for the new Lancers coach to convince the top prospects to turn away from the successful program on the other end of North Bend Road. He will need to be really good at developing runners that are "under the radar" prior to their freshman year.
Old 06-07-18, 01:30 PM
All District

PatHelgerman is on a distinguished road
It's tough that this is taking place so late in the year. By the time they go through a thorough search and get board approval it will be mid July at best. Then they need to bring assistants on board. They might not be able to do any organized conditioning before practice starts.
Old 06-07-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHelgerman View Post
It's tough that this is taking place so late in the year. By the time they go through a thorough search and get board approval it will be mid July at best. Then they need to bring assistants on board. They might not be able to do any organized conditioning before practice starts.
If the kids are committed, they'll get their miles in with or without a coach. If they're not committed, the absence of a coach will be the least of their problems.
Old 06-13-18, 04:38 PM
All World

Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point
Who got the La Salle job? I heard it was supposed to be announced today.
Clayton Cardinal?
Old 06-14-18, 09:45 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Position is still listed as being open on the OHSAA web site.

Head Varsity Cross Country Coach and/or
Head Varsity Track & Field Coach
Cincinnati La Salle High School. Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to Keith Pantling, Athletic Director via email at kpantling@lasallehs.net. Position(s) will remain open until filled.
Old 06-14-18, 09:54 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
Who got the La Salle job? I heard it was supposed to be announced today.
Clayton Cardinal?
He is listed as the interim coach. This was on a tweet from La Salle XC/TF. Trust me on this. He will not be named head coach.

https://twitter.com/LS_LancerTFXC

Last edited by Lancermania; 06-15-18 at 07:55 PM..
Old 06-14-18, 08:27 PM
All World

So, what is going on with Centerville? Did they get rid of the boys coaches that complained about the girls coach, or did they get rid of the girls coach and replace him with the boys coach and now need a coach for the boys?
Old 06-14-18, 08:30 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
So, what is going on with Centerville? Did they get rid of the boys coaches that complained about the girls coach, or did they get rid of the girls coach and replace him with the boys coach and now need a coach for the boys?
David Dobson is still the girls’ coach.
Old 06-25-18, 10:25 PM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Any word on the Centerville Boys Coach or the LaSalle Coach?
Old 06-26-18, 10:26 AM
Freshman

w1llie is on a distinguished road
​Derrick Jackson '96 Named La Salle Cross Country Coach
Athletic Department
Jun 26 2018 10:20 AM

https://www.lasallehs.net/news-story...coach-20180626
Old 06-26-18, 11:27 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Wow! This is a great hire for La Salle!

You're really on top of things. Thanks for posting this so soon after the announcement. This is a great hire for the Lancers.
Old 06-26-18, 11:28 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Good for Derrick. All-time Wilmington College Track & XC great.
Old 06-26-18, 08:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
This is a great hire for the Lancers.
A good hire??? It's a BS hire!!!
A good hire based on what???

And lastly' -will La Salle be in better shape with this guy vs the previous coach? I think the answer is no. So how is this a good hire? If this is considered a good hire after losing one of the best XC coaches in Ohio History as head coach-then you agree with the previous coach getting let go I assume? You seem pretty excited Lancermania. Disappointing to say the least.
Old 06-26-18, 09:34 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A good hire??? It's a BS hire!!!
A good hire based on what???

And lastly' -will La Salle be in better shape with this guy vs the previous coach? I think the answer is no. So how is this a good hire? If this is considered a good hire after losing one of the best XC coaches in Ohio History as head coach-then you agree with the previous coach getting let go I assume? You seem pretty excited Lancermania. Disappointing to say the least.
Whoa. Easy there, big fella.

Please, grace is with your opinion as to WHY it’s a “BS hire.” I have absolutely no dog in the fight, so just curious as to what you know that makes this such a bad thing for the program.
Old 06-26-18, 09:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTT View Post
so just curious as to what you know that makes this such a bad thing for the program.
Answer: Losing a hall of fame coach in the manner in which they did after said coach dedicated his life / coaching career to the school for DECADES!

How is this a good thing or an upgrade / improvement for the program? La Salle can spin any way they want. This sucks and is BS any way you slice it----regardless of who they hire as the new coach.
Old 06-27-18, 09:44 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Answer: Losing a hall of fame coach in the manner in which they did after said coach dedicated his life / coaching career to the school for DECADES!

How is this a good thing or an upgrade / improvement for the program? La Salle can spin any way they want. This sucks and is BS any way you slice it----regardless of who they hire as the new coach.
Well, the previous coach is not coming back so what would you suggest is the best course of action moving forward?
Old 06-27-18, 11:55 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Frank Russo has moved on with his life, but evidently Peterson is unable to do so. Russo was a featured speaker at a Cross Country Distance Summit held last Friday, June 22nd at Hanover College. https://www.hanover.edu/athletics/men/track/ccsummit

Last edited by Lancermania; 06-27-18 at 12:09 PM..
Old 06-27-18, 01:21 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
I thought about this thread for awhile.......with LaSalle its the case that all good things come to an end and in coaching all careers come to an end. With Centerville its one where things are forced to change. One is a natural progression and one is not.

Most schools let their CC and track coaches just hang around till they are done because its not football or basketball and not to many people are paying attention. In these cases we complain about motives of why things are done. If we were on the football thread about coaching changes nobody would blink an eye
Old 07-09-18, 10:08 PM
Lancers lead the way!

La Salle AD going to Little Miami

Now that La Salle's AD is going to Little Miami, could Russo get the AD's job at La Salle? Would he even want it now?
Old 07-10-18, 05:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
I thought about this thread for awhile.......with LaSalle its the case that all good things come to an end and in coaching all careers come to an end. With Centerville its one where things are forced to change. One is a natural progression and one is not.

Most schools let their CC and track coaches just hang around till they are done because its not football or basketball and not to many people are paying attention. In these cases we complain about motives of why things are done. If we were on the football thread about coaching changes nobody would blink an eye
I would argue that the turnover of football coaches in HS is a joke. We are in a era where nearly every sport is over coached and parents or people with little to no knowledge have too much say so in what goes on. People with only a 4 year involvement while their kid is in the school can get good people fired from a position where they have decades of time invested. This is not the pros. Just MS and HS.
Old 07-11-18, 08:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I would argue that the turnover of football coaches in HS is a joke. We are in a era where nearly every sport is over coached and parents or people with little to no knowledge have too much say so in what goes on. People with only a 4 year involvement while their kid is in the school can get good people fired from a position where they have decades of time invested. This is not the pros. Just MS and HS.
I agree 100%. Mommy and Daddy playing politics with sports at this level is stupid. THat is what I love about CC and track.......havent had that static in 24 years of coaching. You get a few here and there that question or complain but 99% of runners parents are supportive.
Old 07-11-18, 02:55 PM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
As coaches ourselves or ex-coach in my case it seems longevity is valued more than quality in some situations. There are average or below who have never been held to any standard because it is only track or CC in the ADs eyes. They get so many years in that when someone finally questions them it comes across as an attack. I do not think this is the situation with the two people mentioned in this thread but I am not close enough to know for sure. In my part of the state I have seen average or below coaches hang around for their own reasons far too long. I knew that when it became more about me it was time to get out. Like CCrunner said I had 99% very supportive parents and current parents seem to be increasingly pushy.
Old 07-12-18, 08:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
As coaches ourselves or ex-coach in my case it seems longevity is valued more than quality in some situations. There are average or below who have never been held to any standard because it is only track or CC in the ADs eyes. They get so many years in that when someone finally questions them it comes across as an attack. I do not think this is the situation with the two people mentioned in this thread but I am not close enough to know for sure. In my part of the state I have seen average or below coaches hang around for their own reasons far too long. I knew that when it became more about me it was time to get out. Like CCrunner said I had 99% very supportive parents and current parents seem to be increasingly pushy.
i just made the comment to some runners the other day that they were HS athletes and I didnt want to hear from their parents about daily activities that the team does. Summer races, workouts etc.... I told them that they were HS kids and that what we do and how we do it are athlete and coach issues, not mommy and daddy issues.