Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-18, 09:13 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Yes, it's the one that gets the most attention for me. Additionally, my mom made great gravy from almost everything - including liver.

Carribbean Queen is a great song! Reminds me of My Maria - both of these are just really funky, moving music.
Old 06-14-18, 11:30 AM
All American

We have a handful of baseball people on here and I wanted to note the passing of Red Schoendist former manager of the Cardinals. What I found remarkable about 95 - year old Red was that in addition to a Hall of Fame career as a player, (he signed his first contract in 1942) was that he earned a paycheck from baseball for the next 76 years! At the time of his death Red was in an advisory role for the Cards. Amazing!
Old 06-14-18, 12:37 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Your dermatologist would take care of the largest organ in your body.
Old 06-14-18, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
^

There was a farmer had a dog, and Bingo was his nameo!

:>---

Death...

SF
Old 06-14-18, 01:42 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
^
Can you name other songs about Blue Jeans?

SF

Old 06-14-18, 02:10 PM
All Region

"Blue jean baby, L.A. lady"... Tiny Dancer
Old 06-14-18, 02:29 PM
All American

Saw the dermatologist this morning; going to remove a biopsied, basal cell growth on my right side abdomen next Thursday.

But enough about me... .
Old 06-14-18, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Meet the Levi Edition...

AMC: Gremlin, also they did a Pacer and Hornet.

I had a buddy that we used to take weekend motor cycle trips with,
he had a Gremlin, he never changed the oil, just changed the filter and
added oil (every 3K). He bought it in '72 ($ just 2 grand) and was still
driving it (as his beater go to work car) in 1987 when I moved to Columbus.

The Hornet 'Levi' seats...

:>---

I...

SF
Old 06-14-18, 09:39 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Oh my goodness! Are you kidding me? Wistful and glad I heard it again. Thx.

OP: I remember the Gremlin Levi. I think I was born the year it came out.
Old 06-15-18, 12:02 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
"Strangers on the Shore" is an absolutely great song. It was included in the songs that the Apollo 10 crew took on their mission to orbit the moon. This song was the first British song to reach #1 on the U.S. Billboard charts. Below is a question that is a bit tricky:

What was the first British song recorded by a group to reach #1 in the rock era on the U.S. Billboard charts?

ROCK ON!
Old 06-15-18, 07:16 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
"Strangers on the Shore" is an absolutely great song. It was included in the songs that the Apollo 10 crew took on their mission to orbit the moon. This song was the first British song to reach #1 on the U.S. Billboard charts. Below is a question that is a bit tricky:

What was the first British song recorded by a group to reach #1 in the rock era on the U.S. Billboard charts?

ROCK ON!

"Telstar" by The Tornadoes was the first British song by a group to reach number 1 on the U.S. Billboard charts. It reached the top of the American charts about 7 months after "Stranger On The Shore" hit the number 1 mark stateside. Both songs hit the plateau in 1962.

Interesting to note that that the U.S. launched the world's first communications satellite, Telstar designed to relay TV signals between the U.S. and Europe
in July of 1962 which falls right between "Stranger On The Shore" and "Telstar" reaching number one status in the U.S charts.

Here's a related bonus question : Some followers of these threads may remember that first satellite ever launched was a Russian version named "Sputnik".

Sputnik was launched on October 4, 1957, what was significant about that date.

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 06-15-18 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 09:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
"Telstar" by The Tornadoes was the first British song by a group to reach number 1 on the U.S. Billboard charts. It reached the top of the American charts about 7 months after "Stranger On The Shore" hit the number 1 mark stateside. Both songs hit the plateau in 1962.

Interesting to note that that the U.S. launched the world's first communications satellite, Telstar designed to relay TV signals between the U.S. and Europe
in July of 1962 which falls right between "Stranger On The Shore" and "Telstar" reaching number one status in the U.S charts.

Here's a related bonus question : Some followers of these threads may remember that first satellite ever launched was a Russian version named "Sputnik".

Sputnik was launched on October 4, 1957, what was significant about that date.

JB
As is usually the case, "JB" is spot-on by correctly answering "Telstar" by The Tornadoes. Sometimes "Telstar" slips through the cracks due to it being an instrumental. Since "Strangers on the Shore" was song of the year in 1962, many people tend to think that the next British #1 song by a group was by The Beatles' ("I Want to Hold Your Hand") in 1964 - the beginning of the British Invasion.

Also, "Strangers on the Shore" was one of three "One Hit Wonders" to be acclaimed "Pop Single of the Year" by Billboard. The other two are "Volare" (1958) and "Bad Day" (2006).

Now for "JB's" question about what significant event occurred on October 4, 1957. Well, I'll take a wild guess based on the month and year. I'll guess that Jim Brown broke the single-game rushing record by a rookie on that date. If this answer is correct it's my lucky day and I need to go out and buy some lottery tickets.

ROCK ON!
Old 06-15-18, 09:55 AM
All American

Something with Elvis... . Or Jerry Mathers.

Quiz later today

Last edited by Bevo; 06-15-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 11:25 AM
All American

OWK & Bevo,

I should have clarified my question about the significance of the October 4,1957 launch date of Sputnik as it relates to this musical thread about British recording acts reaching the top of the Billboard charts. . .that was my error.

That will rule out Jim Brown and the Beav as the answer I was looking for and unfortunately, it has nothing to do with Elvis either. The significance of the 10/04/57 date as it relates to the topic is the fact that " Telstar" reached number 1 in Britain on October 4th, on the 5th anniversary of the launching of Sputnik.

The writer and producer of "Telstar" was a guy named Joe Meek who created the eerie electronic sound of "Telstar". He was fascinated by radio and electronics as a child and eventually joined the Royal Air Force and worked as a radar technician. He became a sound engineer at a London recording studio. He later opened his own studio and wrote "Telstar" for The Tornadoes, a group he had signed. Joe Meek was known as a rather eccentric character and on February 3, 1967 he took his own life at his studio by shooting himself. Rumor has it that since that date was the 8th anniversary of Buddy Holly's death it may not have just been a coincidence ?? The Tornadoes which had been completely revamped at that time disbanded for good after Meek's death.

JB
Old 06-15-18, 12:36 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road

The great Telestar makes me think of this:

Would the world have been different if we had not learned to use weapons? Just a rhetorical question.

And, the actual theme:

As has been recently noted here (copy and paste) it's 2001: A Space Odyssey Theme song remade in 1968 by Alex North.The real name of this song is "Also Sprach Zarathustra" composed in 1896 by Richard Strass!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Also_s...ustra_(Strauss)

Und, if you have an hour to listen:

Read the first few comments, which were entertaining! :grin:

Then there was Star Wars...

Last edited by EagleGuy; 06-15-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 02:03 PM
All American

Gotta get this on as I am leaving for a while. Songs have a person's name or a characterization of a person in the title; e.g. if the song was called : "Hi Dude" or "Hey Fella", those are characterizations of people.

Three correct responses today and tonight. Begin again in the morning if any left. I have a lengthy list of these so we can play for a while - unless someone else has anything. As always add whatever you can - especially song title and artist and any incidental info. Some are pretty easy - others not so much. Experts and mavens feel free to let it rip!

1. "We'd like to get to know you for our files. We'd like to help you learn to help yourself.

2. "There's a man in the comic strips we all know."

3. Of the two albino blues' guitarist-playing brothers from Texas. A "monster" of a song.

4. Great session player, Elton said he looked like "God". "Well, you're showing me a different side."

5. Did they really say "poopin' in the halls"?

6. "Could've tripped out easy but I am changin' my way." Scottish; wanted to be Dylan but pretty good in his own right.

7. Based on a murderous rapist from"The Three Penny Opera named McHeath.

8. Band help bridge the gap between country and rock with an album entitled "Will The Circle Be Unbroken", which fused the genres together to show that one didn't have to hate the other. But this was their most famous song; reference to a Black man and a little White girl. (Song not about them, though.)

9. "Badder than old King Kong and meaner than a junk yard dog."

10. Written by Kristopherson and her best song; died soon thereafter.

11. and 12. Answered together because the names are very similar. One was a catchy tune from boys in Chicago who had a short but great run. There stuff still sounds good today - in about 66-69.
The other performer wrote and did it but Judy Collins did the version people recall. Two names.

12. From '69; his live version was from a prison and he actually had just been given the lyrics, and did the live song from a piece of paper by a Playboy cartoonist who also wrote "The Giving Tree".

13. From an album entitled "Wicked Pickett".

14. "There's a port on a Western Bay and it serves a hundred ships a day. Lonely sailors pass the time away talkin' 'bout their lives. There's a girl in this harbor town and she works layin' whiskey down."

15. Extramarital affair that just begs that the word "thing" be pronounced "thang" as in "We've got a thang going on."

16. "You walk in to the room ...with a pencil in your hand...you see somebody naked and you say, 'Who is that man?' You try so hard but you don't understand. And, you know something is happening but you don't know what it is, Do you __ ___?"

17. Great song by an artist already mentioned. It's about one of our favorite sisters. Very funny when used in an episode of The Simpsons when Principal Skinner is in love.

18. "It's late September and I really should be back at school. I know I keep you amused bit I feel like I'm being used."

19. Originally done by The Regents.

20. "I got up to wash my face and when I come back to bed someone's takin' my place."

21. B side of "Baby Don't Go". Written by an 18-year old in '63 who has done great music for 55 years. Bit of a mystic. Loved and learned by every garage band because it's catchy and also has only three chords. The band at that time was called "Them"; probably a more well - known version by "The Shadows of Night".

22. John Lennon's beautiful song for his deceased mom on The White Album. Beautiful.

23. About the 1866 murder of Laura Foster; the genre is sometimes humorously called
Appalachian Sweetheart Murder Ballads.

24. He taught the boys to play according to them. Just covered this.

25. John Lennon said it was his first drug song. From Revolver.
Old 06-15-18, 02:29 PM
All American

1. " Mrs. Robinson"- Simon & Garfunkle
2. " Alley- Oop" - The Hollywood Argyles
3. " Frankenstein" - Edgar Winter Group

JB
Old 06-15-18, 02:41 PM
All American

You're just showing off! Good thing I limited it to three!! Correct...CorrECT...CORRECT!!!

1. Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio." I am reading a book about Paul Simon 's life right now. He loved two things: Doo wop and Mickey Mantle. You may recall The Mick (include Billy Crystal in that admiration society, also) appeared in Simon's Julio video and Connie Hawkins.
A major, under rated talent for 50 years. At 76 has ended touring, per se. Like Brian Wilson said when he was 70 on their last tour, "We're 70 ####### years old!"

2. Not a big fan of the novelty songs - unless Ahab the Arab or any of those other nutty Ray Stevens' songs. Perfect for the adolescent 12-year old boy with teh maturity of a seven year old. Never cared for songs like "Elvira, Leroy Brown," etc.

3. The winters' brothers guys were wired wide open! Loved their attitude and their blusey guitar rifts.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-15-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 02:44 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
You're just showing off! Good thing I limited it to three!!

Hey, I thought you just left the building !

JB
Old 06-15-18, 02:54 PM
All World

Here are three more guesses:

7. Based on a murderous rapist from"The Three Penny Opera named McHeath.
"Mac the Knife", Bobby Darin
9. "Badder than old King Kong and meaner than a junk yard dog."
"Bad, Bad Leroy Brown", Jim Croce
10. Written by Kristopherson and her best song; died soon thereafter.
"Me and Bobby McGee", Janis Joplin

ROCK ON!
Old 06-15-18, 02:57 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. " Mrs. Robinson"- Simon & Garfunkle
2. " Alley- Oop" - The Hollywood Argyles
3. " Frankenstein" - Edgar Winter Group

JB
Oh JB......I was going to compliment you about your extensive knowledge of the Oct. 1957 events. I was also going to let you know how much I learned from your posts of the last day or so. HOWEVER......due to your clear audacity shown by throwing it into our faces by immediately guessing (correctly, I might add but of course you already know that so they weren't guesses) #s 1, 2, and 3 right out of the box -- well, I must say that if your goal was to "lap the field" as far as a wide ranging expertise is concerned -- well, you have achieved that goal.

So, my laudatory comments above, while quite valid, must wait for another day.
You, however, may feel free to compliment me for composing possibly the longest run-on sentence in my extensive grammatical career.
Also feel free to take this entire post as intended, as my tongue has of course been implanted firmly in my cheek .
Old 06-15-18, 03:54 PM
All American

Monclova Steve,

My goodness that is deep !

The reality is Mrs. JB took two of the grandkids strawberry picking this afternoon and it just seemed appropriate that I should do some cherry pickin' while they were busy berry pickin'.

You now need to keep the momentum going and take care of numbers 4, 5, and 6. I shall refer to this as " pickin' and grinnin'

JB
Old 06-15-18, 04:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Monclova Steve,

My goodness that is deep !

The reality is Mrs. JB took two of the grandkids strawberry picking this afternoon and it just seemed appropriate that I should do some cherry pickin' while they were busy berry pickin'.

You now need to keep the momentum going and take care of numbers 4, 5, and 6. I shall refer to this as " pickin' and grinnin'

JB
Well, unlike yourself, my expanse of knowledge can be limited at times. Therefore, I do not know the answers to all of the aforementioned #4, 5, and 6 questions. I DO know one of them, but -- in my own self-interest -- I am keeping my powder dry until the bread-winning Mrs. M returns home from a long day of delivering the US mail.
I do appreciate your invitation, though, kind sir. In addition, your "pickin' and grinnin'" reference hits home as I am a product of an Appalachian family whose idea of a great Saturday night's entertainment consisted of the folks gathering in my grandma's living room to sing and play not only country and western songs, but hymns. The instrumentals included violins, guitars, and my uncle Lexy on the spoons.
Good times, JB!
Old 06-15-18, 06:00 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
14. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass

15. "Me and Mrs. Jones" - Billy Paul

18. "Maggie May" - Rod Stewart

All three are great songs. I used to be "meh" when it came to Rod Stewart, but lately I appreciate his music a lot more. He has some really good songs, especially the older ones.

I always loved "Brandy" (the song, not the beverage...well, that too ).
Old 06-15-18, 07:53 PM
All American

BlackHawk - While we're waiting for Monclova to enlist the services of the mail lady, and hoping that some of the other regs. stop by, you're up. And you have done a fine job!

14. I really agree on Brandy; wonderful soulful ballad. Hard to believe that is from '72.

15. The tawdry song. It was the "Thang", wasn't it?

18. Sure learned to love Rod over the years. I am partial to Young Turks. One of the funniest things I ever saw was Bob and Ray doing their version of "Do You Think I'm Sexy"? on the Tonight Show with Carson still hosting.

I remember him from the late 60's when he was in Small Faces, then just Faces.

The rest of you who are just coming in for the night. let's go!

"Young hearts be free tonight".

JB and Mon. - speaking of Hee Haw, wasn't that strange thing done with spoons and slapping legs, while offering sort of rhymthic grunts, called "effing"?

I believe I saw The Darlings sing Salty Dog once on the Andy Griffith Show when the tribe made one of its quarterly visits to Mayberry. In a different episode, Briscoe Darling said, "Let's do 'Don't hit your mother with a big fat rake'. " To which Charlene Darling responded with a long sad face, ""That one always makes me cry pa."

Great viewing - You Tube Barney talking about giraffes in the episode with all of the dogs. You can't find anything this funny today. Or Barney reciting the start of the constitution. These were funny when I was eight and they are funny to me now!

Last edited by Bevo; 06-15-18 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 09:00 PM
All Region

20. "Cecilia"- Simon and Garfunkel
21. "I Got You, Babe" Sonny and Cher. Just guessing about the song.
Old 06-15-18, 10:00 PM
All American

Rod Stewart's album " Every Picture Tells A Story" is an absolute classic in the truest sense of the word. This 1971 release which includes the title song plus the aforementioned "Maggie May", "Reason To Believe" plus The Temptations "(I Know) I'm Losing You" and my personal favorite, the under-rated " Mandolin Wind". This album featured Ron Wood before he left to join the Stones and his presence is evident throughout. Ron and Rod were bandmates previously as members of "The Faces". Why "Mandolin Wind" wasn't a bigger hit remains a mystery to me.

JB
Old 06-15-18, 10:18 PM
All American

20. Good call on Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkle. "Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia up in my bedroom".

21. I got your answer, babe and regrettably you are incorrect but your mea culpa is noted. Good guess!
The singer is renowned and the name of that first band he was in is one word.

JB - I believe I had that album.

The Country and Western Museum in Nashville has a a lot about Hee Haw. I have been to the Grand Ole Opry and let's remember that we have had "Little Jimmy Dickens'" questions on our long odyssey.

Little Tater. Rachel Hunter.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-15-18 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 11:49 PM
All American

One more shout out to JB for his salute to Rod & The Faces. Yes, Every Picture Tells a Story (not only the album as a whole but also the song itself) has been one of the highlights of my life's journey.
Mandolin Wind is truly one of the most underrated treasures in music. It never fails to take my breath away.

Well, the mail lady is now getting her well deserved beauty sleep, but please allow me to pick off a couple songs:

21. GLORIA -- Them (led and written by the ultra-talented Van Morrison)

22. Julia -- John Lennon's tribute to his Mom
Old 06-16-18, 05:32 AM
All Region

I had Rod's "Footloose and Fancy Free" which included "Hot Legs", one of my favorites of his. I also picked up "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy", his foray into the disco world. You guys would like the cover.

My husband saw Rod in his very early years when he was still very shy. His mother took him. Rod used to hide behind a large speaker in those days. Clearly, he found his mojo and learned how to perform. I'm glad he chose music over his beloved soccer, though he did build a soccer pitch on his property so he could play.

I've always liked his music from the early years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: