Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-18, 02:46 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

Quote:
California residents will get a chance to vote on a measure to divide the Golden State into three separate states, election officials said Tuesday.

Proponents of the CAL 3 initiative submitted more than 402,468 valid signatures as of Tuesday, making it eligible for the Nov. 6 general election ballot, according to the California Secretary of State’s office.

The office did not say exactly how many total signatures were submitted, but backers said the petition drew more than 600,000 from residents across the state’s 58 counties, dwarfing the 365,000 signatures required to qualify for the ballot.
Read more:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/proposal-s...opstories.html
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 03:24 PM
All American

domi is on a distinguished road
Since I'm finding a lot of conflicting info on a state splitting into parts I'm turning to the many Yappi Constitutional Scholars here.

Can California legally split into two or more states with all of them part of the United States? I doubt this proposal passes but if it does the state legislature and US Congress would still need to approve admittance according to the Constitution. I would take that to mean the California State Legislature would need to approve the split which I don't see happening, nor do I see that changing anytime soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_to_the_Union
Old 06-13-18, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Obviously a long shot to actually happen. That said, if the referendum passes, it would be pretty yuge.
Old 06-13-18, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
No way they get four more Senators.

Empowering a few million conservative voters sounds nice, but much like killing filibuster power, perspective can shift quickly.

This would likely require a Constitutional Amendment, so their statewide vote is essentially meaningless. Keep wasting your money, dumbazzes.
Old 06-13-18, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

They could perhaps collect and distribute state taxes independently within each sub-state. Can't wait for the Democrat butt-hurt if and when they realize that their lost Electoral clout will reduce the Federal pandering.
Old 06-13-18, 04:11 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Article 4, Section 3
1: New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Only the California Legislature and US Congress would have to agree.
Old 06-13-18, 04:18 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
I doubt the US Congress would have a problem with it, at least in its current form.

The California legislature would obviously be a different story.
Old 06-13-18, 06:02 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
I doubt the US Congress would have a problem with it, at least in its current form.
I'm not so sure about that. The way the state is split in this proposal would make SoCal a toss-up at best, and I'd guess that it is probably leaning blue. The rural parts of NoCal are still completely dominated by the Bay Area. And the coastal "new" California is still as solid blue as ever.

From a Republican view, this might get you a few Electoral votes every once in a while that you would not have gotten otherwise. But the cost is likely 4 extra Dem seats in the Senate most of the time.

From a Democrat view, it's the opposite. Four extra seats in the Senate but at the cost of breaking up your guaranteed 55 Electoral Votes that you are so highly dependent on.
Old 06-13-18, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
The only State that can split and form additional States (as of today) is Texas...it can split and form up to 4 additional states.

It was a provision of it being admitted to the Union.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/aboutt...march1845.html

Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States
Approved March 1, 1845

... Third -- New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; ....

:>---

SF
Old 06-13-18, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

pup bustin' out the knowledge!!

I would love to see Texas do this while Cali was denied
Old 06-14-18, 09:16 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
The only State that can split and form additional States (as of today) is Texas...it can split and form up to 4 additional states.

Approved March 1, 1845

... Third -- New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; ....>---SF
I don't understand how this is any different than Article 4, Section 3, Clause 1.

I don't understand how this would prohibit California from splitting.
Old 06-14-18, 09:45 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I don't understand how this is any different than Article 4, Section 3, Clause 1.

I don't understand how this would prohibit California from splitting.
You are correct CHS. It would take a vote by the California legislature and the US Congress to create a new state.

Here are a few questions though. How is the state's debt split up? How is the water split up? How does the inland state survive since it would clearly be the poorest of the 3?
Old 06-14-18, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post

Approved March 1, 1845

... Third -- New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; ....

:>---

SF

Rather meaningless, the procedure is the same for any state, would still need state and congressional approval.
Old 06-14-18, 11:53 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Do it
Old 06-14-18, 12:09 PM
All District

Hammerin'Hank is on a distinguished road
I would just like to see California leave the United States and form their own country. They can then be a sanctuary country and take all the illegals they want.
Old 06-14-18, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Since I moved to Arizona in 2010 there's been a lot of talk from liberal yahoos about splitting Arizona into two states. The southern part, which includes Tucson, would be called Baja Arizona with the primary language being Spanish. It would be so leftish to counteract the conservatine northern part of Arizona. Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen.
Old 06-14-18, 04:15 PM
All American

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
You are correct CHS. It would take a vote by the California legislature and the US Congress to create a new state.

Here are a few questions though. How is the state's debt split up? How is the water split up? How does the inland state survive since it would clearly be the poorest of the 3?
The inland part would survive just like Alabama, Mississippi, etc.; by leeching off the blue states.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-18, 04:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
The inland part would survive just like Alabama, Mississippi, etc.; by leeching off the blue states.
Because all those oil wells and farmland won't be worth anything anymore.

Oh, wait.
Old 07-18-18, 09:56 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Measure to break California into 3 states removed from November ballot after court ruling

Quote:
It looks like Californians won't be voting on whether to split their state into three.
The California Supreme Court shot down the controversial initiative from appearing on the November ballot in a unanimous decision, writing that "significant questions have been raised regarding the proposition's validity."

Proposition 9 would've asked voters whether California should separate into three states: California, Northern California and Southern California. It would've been subject to approval by US Congress. The initiative had gained enough signatures in June to qualify for the ballot on November 6.

"We conclude that the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election," the justices wrote.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/18/us/ca...urt/index.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: