Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-23-18, 10:59 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkflavor View Post
It was his first game tonight played defense well. Struggled a bit on offense. Looked liked nerves mostly. He'll get better every game and is a plus for the program.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Good to hear. He is a good kid. Shame he left our program but not for me to judge. Good luck to the Dukes and thanks for the info.
Old 01-23-18, 11:02 PM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Good to hear. He is a good kid. Shame he left our program but not for me to judge. Good luck to the Dukes and thanks for the info.
Not for me to judge either. Good luck to the Leps and hopefully the Dukes can make a game of it next time.

Old 01-24-18, 07:37 AM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Going to steer clear of that transfer conversation to avoid taking this thread down a crazy rabbit hole...

Was able to catch most of Leopards game last night after getting there a little late. South looked really bad last night. Not used to seeing South struggle like that, they have traditionally been a good basketball school. I thought the pace Louisville set last night would be hard for many NBC schools to play at simply based on numbers. Again I haven't seen all the teams play, but the 9-10 kids Louisville uses seem to be solid players all around. Not sure many other schools in the league can go that deep and sustain a pretty high level of play.
Old 01-24-18, 08:56 AM
All Ohio

I agree South, traditionally used to be a basketball powerhouse, but a decrease in enrollment numbers over the years, in my opinion, significantly impacted all of their sports programs. I attended both games against CS, South looked better last night (hard to believe), than they played against us last week. Outside the Louisville games, South has actually been competitive of late. They beat Salem, almost knocked off West Branch at their place in a highly scoring game, and played respectably against Minerva. I remember South had some really good teams in the 90's and early 2000's. Definitely a program that kind of slipped out of the limelight.
Old 01-24-18, 12:16 PM
All World

LeopardNation is on a distinguished road
Leopards Seniors Brandon Wahl and Derek Zeller featured in WHBC Sports Behind the Athlete. Another great job by Jon Bozeka!

View video here:

http://louisvilleleopards.org/wahl-a...d-the-athlete/
Old 01-24-18, 02:24 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree South, traditionally used to be a basketball powerhouse, but a decrease in enrollment numbers over the years, in my opinion, significantly impacted all of their sports programs. I attended both games against CS, South looked better last night (hard to believe), than they played against us last week. Outside the Louisville games, South has actually been competitive of late. They beat Salem, almost knocked off West Branch at their place in a highly scoring game, and played respectably against Minerva. I remember South had some really good teams in the 90's and early 2000's. Definitely a program that kind of slipped out of the limelight.
I hope they can turn things around. While some schools, historically, have cared as much about their football program as they did their basketball program, I believe that Canton South and Fairless are the only schools in Stark County that were and are true "basketball schools" -- in that they cared more about basketball than they did about football.
Old 01-25-18, 08:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I hope they can turn things around. While some schools, historically, have cared as much about their football program as they did their basketball program, I believe that Canton South and Fairless are the only schools in Stark County that were and are true "basketball schools" -- in that they cared more about basketball than they did about football.
I would throw Jackson in there before Fairless. I know Jackson covets their baseball program, but I would argue basketball is their signature sport. Unless a Jacksonite would care to comment otherwise. In terms of South, haven't been strong since their final four appearance with Ronnie Bourquin leading them. Matter of fact, it was the last time I been down to Columbus to watch the state tournament when South was there. Of course, during those years the Lebron James show was the best ticket.
Old 01-25-18, 02:18 PM
All District

BasketballLover is on a distinguished road
Updated records.
***Only the top three teams control their own destiny to get at least a split of the NBC crown
**WB does have to play Louisville twice
**Minerva and Marlington still play twice

Louisvlile 7-1
Minerva 6-2
Marlington 6-2
West Branch 5-3
Canton South 1-7
Old 01-25-18, 03:06 PM
All American

Quote:
I would throw Jackson in there before Fairless. I know Jackson covets their baseball program, but I would argue basketball is their signature sport. Unless a Jacksonite would care to comment otherwise. In terms of South, haven't been strong since their final four appearance with Ronnie Bourquin leading them. Matter of fact, it was the last time I been down to Columbus to watch the state tournament when South was there. Of course, during those years the Lebron James show was the best ticket.
I am not saying it is not the most successful program or not, I am just trying to label a "true basketball school" in Stark County and that is difficult. Jackson certainly has a better basketball (and baseball) program than football program but I would still argue it has been a football-first community over the long haul or, at best, they care equally about those two sports. I could be wrong and the two state titles in 6 years could make it difficult to peel away at the "now" in favor of the long view but that is my opinion. I still say Fairless and South are the only two fan bases that care more about basketball than football . . .they are our "Little Indianas"
Old 01-25-18, 07:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I am not saying it is not the most successful program or not, I am just trying to label a "true basketball school" in Stark County and that is difficult. Jackson certainly has a better basketball (and baseball) program than football program but I would still argue it has been a football-first community over the long haul or, at best, they care equally about those two sports. I could be wrong and the two state titles in 6 years could make it difficult to peel away at the "now" in favor of the long view but that is my opinion. I still say Fairless and South are the only two fan bases that care more about basketball than football . . .they are our "Little Indianas"
I understand what you are trying to convey. I guess my circle Jackson friends suggest otherwise, but its a small circle, so doesn't hold much weight, I guess. I think we both agree though would be nice to see South return to better days in basketball. Agree?
Old 01-26-18, 10:52 AM
All District

West Branch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballLover View Post
Updated records.
***Only the top three teams control their own destiny to get at least a split of the NBC crown
**WB does have to play Louisville twice
**Minerva and Marlington still play twice

Louisvlile 7-1
Minerva 6-2
Marlington 6-2
West Branch 5-3
Canton South 1-7

Does anyone have info as to when the 1st WB vs. Louisville game will be made up?
Old 01-26-18, 03:02 PM
All District

Tonights schedule (Friday, Jan 16th)

Louisville At Alliance
Minerva At Carrollton
Marlington At Canton South
Salem At West Branch
Old 01-26-18, 03:57 PM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Branch View Post
Does anyone have info as to when the 1st WB vs. Louisville game will be made up?
With the lack of urgency our athletic department runs with, it wouldnít surprise me if we didnít just forfeit the game.
Old 01-26-18, 09:54 PM
All Region

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
Totally shocked by the score from Louisville. I really thought the Leps would run the table with their depth and inside/outside game. WOW, WHAT A SHOCKER. All of a sudden a few teams have new life.
Old 01-26-18, 10:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFTHEJUNGLE View Post
Totally shocked by the score from Louisville. I really thought the Leps would run the table with their depth and inside/outside game. WOW, WHAT A SHOCKER. All of a sudden a few teams have new life.
Free Throws...Free Throws...and Free Throws...all input I will offer tonight...
Old 01-27-18, 04:26 AM
All World

LeopardNation is on a distinguished road
Varsity: Alliance 59, Louisville 58, 2 OT
JV: Louisville 58, Alliance 50

Louisville Leopards at Alliance Aviators Boys Basketball Video Highlights and Recap
Old 01-27-18, 08:05 PM
All Region

Minerva 45 Claymont 25 at the half.
Old 01-27-18, 11:14 PM
All Region

Minerva 74 Claymont 44 final.
Old 01-29-18, 10:20 PM
All Region

I checked Nation's schedule for the Leps and it still shows no game results between Branch and Louisville, is that correct? He is so solid with that site I'm assuming that it is.
Old 01-30-18, 10:19 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I checked Nation's schedule for the Leps and it still shows no game results between Branch and Louisville, is that correct? He is so solid with that site I'm assuming that it is.

Scheduling conflict apparently. So far WB has turned down all options Louisville presented. The possibility exists the game will not be made up. One should wonder how this will impact the league, especially presently with Louisville and Minerva tied at 7-2 in the league, followed by WB and Marlington sitting at 6-3. One would think the WB AD and HC would be highly motivated making what could be a very important game and home game at that for WB. WB playing good basektball right now. Highly surprised there is not a sense of urgency to make this game up when WB is in the thick of things for the league title. According to Louisville athletics the ball is in WB's court.
Old 01-30-18, 11:51 AM
All District

hoopstar1988 is on a distinguished road
feb 10, feb 23, or Feb 24 not rocket science. its weak sauce. you do not make up a non-league if there is a game re-scheduled during those dates.
Old 01-30-18, 09:09 PM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Marlington 64

Minerva 51

Old 01-31-18, 10:59 AM
All American

Quote:
I understand what you are trying to convey. I guess my circle Jackson friends suggest otherwise, but its a small circle, so doesn't hold much weight, I guess. I think we both agree though would be nice to see South return to better days in basketball. Agree?
Absolutely. Heck, I would like to see good basketball return to the county, period. The NBC has nothing special going (and the bottom of the league is VERY weak), Central is below average, Aquinas is hard to watch and the bottom of the FL is as bad as the bottom of the FL has been in recent memory. I have not seen many of the PAC teams but, in short, there is not much to be excited about this season. I won't open up a debate about the top FL teams at this point but, I do not think there would be much disagreement if I said that no one should be making hotel reservations in Columbus (or even for regional final night).

These things are cyclical . . . I hope.
Old 02-01-18, 08:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Absolutely. Heck, I would like to see good basketball return to the county, period. The NBC has nothing special going (and the bottom of the league is VERY weak), Central is below average, Aquinas is hard to watch and the bottom of the FL is as bad as the bottom of the FL has been in recent memory. I have not seen many of the PAC teams but, in short, there is not much to be excited about this season. I won't open up a debate about the top FL teams at this point but, I do not think there would be much disagreement if I said that no one should be making hotel reservations in Columbus (or even for regional final night).

These things are cyclical . . . I hope.

I totally agree more than likely no Stark team will make it. However, in terms of the league play in Stark, all three leagues you mentioned parity is consistent and without a clear front runner. My team almost beat the top team in the Federal (league standings) yet is 1-3 against the Fed with the only win, a close one at that, against a Hoover team without Blackledge. Alliance handled Perry easily recently, which was surprising to me, even though I know Perry is really down. We lost to Perry. So what does that say about the NBC, and a first place Louisville team? There are five teams in the NBC that could beat each other on any given night which was not the case in previous years. Despite what we might argue what is quality I like the fact there is parity. Makes the season more interesting with more teams in the hunt. If you look at my post history from last year regarding the quality of teams in the NBC, made several statements where I thought the NBC was very weak, of course I received plenty of heat and good feedback (backlash) but in my opinion it was warranted, it was Alliance and Louisville, everybody else was bad (although you can argue and support Minerva was much improved despite their record). This year I have changed my tune some. I think Minerva, WB, and Marlington have made strides of improvment from last year. Whereas Louisville and Alliance have regressed, especially Alliance with the loss of Sampson. We obviously do not have the dynamic scorer from last year and this year's team depends on a larger rotation, more contributions from role players, and pressure defense to win games. I personally enjoy watching competitive games instead of blowouts. Always good to see more kids involved in the offense instead of one kid scoring all the points. There are key matchups coming up in the NBC in the next two weeks. Yes the overall caliber of play might be down in Stark, however from a parity point of view, makes the league games for entertaining and exciting to watch. This is the first time in a long time I can remember the NBC having four teams this late in the season in the hunt for the league title. Unless somebody can correct me. The Leps play Marlington, Minerva, and WB, all three within a game of us within a 10 day stretch. Good thing for us two of those three are at our place.
Old 02-01-18, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

Any West Branch posters care to comment or have insight why WB/Louisville's January 12th game is not on record to be rescheduled?
Old 02-02-18, 07:27 AM
All District

Louisville (7-2) AT Salem (3-6)
Canton South (2-7) AT Minerva (7-3)
Alliance (4-5) AT Marlington (7-3)
West Branch (6-3) AT Carrollton (1-8)

Tonights Schedule....

Minerva will have their hands full with a Canton South team that had added transfer Tyrese Williams (18 pts vs tallmadge). CS has beaten Salem and Marlington in their last 3 league games.

Salem can score, so Louisville will be on high alert on the road. I expect the Leps to win but I dont think it will be a blowout.

Marlington will beat Alliance with the game at the Duke Dome.

The blowout of the night could occur in Carrollton as WB is rolling right now and their size should smother the Warriors.

All my opinions of course...Good luck to all
Old 02-02-18, 10:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Any West Branch posters care to comment or have insight why WB/Louisville's January 12th game is not on record to be rescheduled?
Can't believe that this game has no make up date yet. Have the suits involved checked out the league standings lately
Old 02-02-18, 10:40 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballLover View Post
Louisville (7-2) AT Salem (3-6)
Canton South (2-7) AT Minerva (7-3)
Alliance (4-5) AT Marlington (7-3)
West Branch (6-3) AT Carrollton (1-8)

Tonights Schedule....

Minerva will have their hands full with a Canton South team that had added transfer Tyrese Williams (18 pts vs tallmadge). CS has beaten Salem and Marlington in their last 3 league games.

Salem can score, so Louisville will be on high alert on the road. I expect the Leps to win but I dont think it will be a blowout.

Marlington will beat Alliance with the game at the Duke Dome.

The blowout of the night could occur in Carrollton as WB is rolling right now and their size should smother the Warriors.

All my opinions of course...Good luck to all

My Lions better start doing the "little" things that are necessary for a team with no height to win ballgames. The combination of not boxing out and sloppy turnovers are going to have us out of league race with the quickness if not resolved starting tonight.
Old 02-02-18, 10:43 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Can't believe that this game has no make up date yet. Have the suits involved checked out the league standings lately
King it is my understanding the NBC commissioner will get involved and ensure both schools will makeup the game. It's obvious the game could/will impact the league standings.
Old 02-02-18, 01:52 PM
All Region

Hope somebody does Coach. Not only for the sake of a league race but I gotta believe another W in the win column might be impactful for either team when it comes to tournament seeding time.