Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-18-18, 11:36 PM
Junior Varsity

svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
One of the Mustangs wins this season is against Avon...Their opening round opponent in the post season.
Predicting a win?
Old 02-19-18, 08:24 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilleresident92 View Post
Predicting a win?
Just making an observation.
Old 02-19-18, 09:59 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Just making an observation.
Should be a fabulous Joe Lynch and John Lipowski reunion.
Old 02-20-18, 07:52 AM
All American

Avon runs the risk of being the team that was beaten by Strongsville twice this season...Plus, having your season come to an end at the hands of the Mustangs...Not favorable distinctions I contend.
Old 02-20-18, 12:35 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Should be a fabulous Joe Lynch and John Lipowski reunion.
Ha ha ha, no doubt.

Avon has been playing better as of late, but I donít think anyone foresaw a barely-above-.500 season coming from the Eagles. Could be a real dangerous tourney team...or could cash out
Old 02-24-18, 12:11 PM
All American

The Mustangs close out their regular season with 18 point loss at home against Solon on senior night and they finish with 4 wins overall...One lone conference win against Medina the first time around and non-conference wins against Avon (their first round tournament opponent), North Royalton and Berea/Midpark.
Old 02-26-18, 11:27 AM
Freshman

MustangNation17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Mustangs close out their regular season with 18 point loss at home against Solon on senior night and they finish with 4 wins overall...One lone conference win against Medina the first time around and non-conference wins against Avon (their first round tournament opponent), North Royalton and Berea/Midpark.

A miserable year to say the least. However, next year they will be dreaming about how great those 4 wins were, unless of course they fill their non-conference schedule with some cupcakes. If things don't change, which it sounds like it won't, they will be lucky to win 2 games. If they play this same schedule next year, I'd even bet on them being winless. But at least the new coach is "bringing fun back to basketball" (along with a serious case of nepotism!) How about bringing wins!
Old 02-26-18, 11:39 AM
Freshman

Quote:
If you polled his current and former players, Coach Lip wins a vote to return in a landslide.

I dont know which players you are polling, but you might want to poll ALL of the players. There are no less than 5 current players...good players....who are trying to leave Strongsville specifically because of him. There are a few others who want to leave but may not have the luxury. And if you do a little digging you will discover players who have played for his freshmen teams, then left the program because of him, and then have done very well in other schools. I can think of two that I know of that have actually gone on to play in college as well. Dont get caught up in "Brotherhood" campaign, which as MANY will tell you is a direct attempt to win over the board.
Old 02-26-18, 11:59 AM
Junior Varsity

FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
Strongsville botched any chance of landing a good Coach when they messed up last yr's search. You will not find a coach who all the kids like. Not in strongsville. At some point you have to realize it's the parents. I have seen strongsville play. They should not have a player leaving because of basketball. They might not start or play at the school they transfer to.
Old 02-26-18, 01:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlannMann87 View Post
Strongsville botched any chance of landing a good Coach when they messed up last yr's search. You will not find a coach who all the kids like. Not in strongsville. At some point you have to realize it's the parents. I have seen strongsville play. They should not have a player leaving because of basketball. They might not start or play at the school they transfer to.
I reiterate, Collins should be glad he is removed from dealing with this program, district, board and administration.

I find it quite comical that the district moves from coach to coach (kicking competent ones to the curb in the process) with regard to its athletic programs as if coaching is solely the issue for its sports programs being on the decline (with an occasional exception here and there) over the past few years. Board/Administration just unable to face up to the reality that is today's Strongsville School District.
Old 02-26-18, 02:27 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I reiterate, Collins should be glad he is removed from dealing with this program, district, board and administration.

I find it quite comical that the district moves from coach to coach (kicking competent ones to the curb in the process) with regard to its athletic programs as if coaching is solely the issue for its sports programs being on the decline (with an occasional exception here and there) over the past few years. Board/Administration just unable to face up to the reality that is today's Strongsville School District.
Yes. Please let me be clear. Coach Collins is a good man and should never have been fired. When I say they botched the hire, it started with firing coach Collins.

Someone saying 5 good players are leaving shows you how unrealistic the parents can be. Collins and Joe G both won at other schools. Strongsville replaced Collins and had a worse season then the year before. Joe G was sacked and their has been no improvement. Strongsville is not over-run with basketball talent. A good coach like Collins who does things the right way should of been enough. Coaches will not be jumping at the opportunity to coach at Strongsville.
Old 02-26-18, 04:48 PM
Freshman

VilleBooster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes. Please let me be clear. Coach Collins is a good man and should never have been fired. When I say they botched the hire, it started with firing coach Collins.

Someone saying 5 good players are leaving shows you how unrealistic the parents can be. Collins and Joe G both won at other schools. Strongsville replaced Collins and had a worse season then the year before. Joe G was sacked and their has been no improvement. Strongsville is not over-run with basketball talent. A good coach like Collins who does things the right way should of been enough. Coaches will not be jumping at the opportunity to coach at Strongsville.
Collins may have been a good man and a decent coach, but he totally neglected building the whole program. Complete disregard for the 7th and 8th grade programs (his feeder system), no summer/off-season program, didn't even watch film or practice on Saturday's, etc... Can't compete in this conference with a guy who viewed the job as a Mon-Fri gig and only cared about the program 6 months out of the year.

Here's the real issue:

When they replaced Lynch they couldve had Pete Moran - who? Oh the guy just named OAC coach of the year.... NO they SETTLED for Collins cuz he didn't need a teaching job.

When they replaced Collins they couldve had sean otoole - who? The president of the ohio coaches association and one of the best available coaches right now... NO they pulled a fossil out of retirement because they couldn't get Otoole a teaching job.

This administration is not committed to turning this program around. When it came to football they got bent over by Laird- rolled out the red carpet for him and he was a bust; they obviously don't want to get burned again. Oh yea, who could they have when they hired Laird?? you don't even want to hear those names.

get ready for some more #brotherhood next year....

Old 02-26-18, 05:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post
...This administration is not committed to turning this program around. When it came to football they got bent over by Laird- rolled out the red carpet for him and he was a bust; they obviously don't want to get burned again...
Don't stop with Laird as the district did likewise with Cirino...From previous posts of mine.

As info, from post #14 of this thread...
"...Perhaps, in order to get this coaching vacancy filled, the district will have to go so far as to create a teaching position and allow all of the years of teaching experience to transfer in as was the case in securing football coaches Laird and Cirino..."

And, from post #27 of this thread...
"...Even though the district habitually pleads poor, it has in the past created teaching positions to fill coaching vacancies.."
Old 02-27-18, 08:28 AM
Freshman

Quote:

When I say 5 players are leaving, I should have mentioned what I heard was the reason. And to clarify, I don't have kids in the system anymore, but I used to, and I'll continue to support this program, as long as it resembles an actual basketball program. I have various parent friends still in the program from both JV and Varsity, so I try to sit with a few different parents each game that I attend. And the overwhelming reasons why I hear some of these players want to leave comes down to one reason. Favoritism and outright nepotism. I've heard anything and everything about this coach in that he plays definite personal favorites. I'm not talking the typical coach's favorite( the kid who lacks talent but works hard or whatever). I'm talking about the kids who befriend his own son and now next year...sons! I mean how can your first move as a coach be to promote your own son to varsity? I also heard that he has been making promises to players that they will be varsity next year, and also offering varsity spots to football players if they come out for basketball. And if you add in the fact that this coach talks about and bashes players in the locker room...when they aren't there to defend themselves...then I say that is a brotherhood I would NOT want to be a part of! So you might be right in that those players might not start at another program, but I can definitely understand why they would want to leave. And actually 3 of them, in my opinion, are definitely needed in this program.
Old 02-27-18, 09:18 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNation17 View Post
...There are no less than 5 current players...good players....who are trying to leave Strongsville specifically because of him...
Just curious, given the current state of the boys basketball program, are you contending that this level of talent does exist here?
Old 02-27-18, 10:04 AM
Junior Varsity

So now you have had 3 coaches in less then 2 seasons and the players are not happy with any of them. I'm starting to see a pattern...
Old 02-27-18, 11:59 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Just curious, given the current state of the boys basketball program, are you contending that this level of talent does exist here?

Well...yes and no. First things first, this conference is just brutal. It would be difficult to compete in this conference no matter who is the coach. Im not unrealistic and thinking that we should have a team that goes 16-6, but in this conference it would be a win to get 10 or 11 wins, be battle tested, and make a decent playoff run. The freshmen that came in are the most talented group this school has had in a few years. But they dont have size. So I think your style of play needs to change. You need a coach who recognizes that and runs a fast paced, full court pressing all game, style of play. You have shooters in this program. 1 or 2 on varsity, 2 or 3 on JV, and a couple acceptable ones on freshmen. Play 10 or 11 deep next year and run and gun, because with no size you are going to get killed in the half court offense on rebounding. If they play the same style of play next year, the team that I'm hearing will be varsity, will only win 1 or 2 games at most, in that system.
Old 02-27-18, 12:07 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well...yes and no. First things first, this conference is just brutal. It would be difficult to compete in this conference no matter who is the coach. Im not unrealistic and thinking that we should have a team that goes 16-6, but in this conference it would be a win to get 10 or 11 wins, be battle tested, and make a decent playoff run. The freshmen that came in are the most talented group this school has had in a few years. But they dont have size. So I think your style of play needs to change. You need a coach who recognizes that and runs a fast paced, full court pressing all game, style of play. You have shooters in this program. 1 or 2 on varsity, 2 or 3 on JV, and a couple acceptable ones on freshmen. Play 10 or 11 deep next year and run and gun, because with no size you are going to get killed in the half court offense on rebounding. If they play the same style of play next year, the team that I'm hearing will be varsity, will only win 1 or 2 games at most, in that system.
So you want to run with Solon, Mentor, Shaker, and Elyria??? Good luck with that. You'll be looking for another coach, then.
Old 02-27-18, 12:11 PM
Freshman

Quote:
So now you have had 3 coaches in less then 2 seasons and the players are not happy with any of them. I'm starting to see a pattern...

Well Collins had to go. As someone stated before, he had NO involvement in the youth programs. That is the first thing Guilfoyle at least attempted to do. We have to retain our talent. Too many kids end up going to Strongsville schools and then leaving for Eds or Ignatius or wherever in high school. I dont think the board wanted to fire Guilfoyle, or at least until the end of the season, but I think they were pretty much forced to once the News got involved. But that only led to having to make a quick replacement hire. Its just shocking that they arent at least going to open up the search again next week when the season is over. As much as it could be said that nobody in their right mind would want to take over this program currently, you really never know who becomes available unless you open up the coaching position for interviews.
Old 02-27-18, 12:22 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
So you want to run with Solon, Mentor, Shaker, and Elyria??? Good luck with that. You'll be looking for another coach, then.

Well that is how you upset teams like that. You cause turnovers. Or are you wanting to slow the game down so we lose 60-40 instead of 80-50? When you lack size, the only way you can compete against clearly more talented teams is to take them out of their comfort zone. You have Csire and Peek right now who have size, and we are still getting killed. How do think we would do with our tallest player being 6'2 or 6'3. Dont get me wrong, Lawler is a physical beast out there, but he's never going to score a ton like Csire and Peek can. Speaking of style of play, I never understood why the JV team sat in a zone most of the year, watching teams drill 3 after 3 after 3. They actually have a few good on the ball defenders, but never adjusted. If you dont think they can play defense, then TEACH IT! So they can develop and play at the varsity level.
Old 02-27-18, 01:37 PM
All American

MustangNation17, you make mention of no less than 5 current players...good players supposedly...that are pondering departing the program...I asked if the program really has that much talent at the moment. Aside from that question, and even if your contentions as to why they want to leave are true, just curious, just where are these Strongsville basketball stalwarts thinking of moving onto? Berea/Midpark? Royalton? Programs that are (at the moment anyway) apparently suffering to a greater extent than Strongsville's? If they can't cut it here and/or shape the program into something better...Just where are they going to end up and what alleged impact will they have at their next stop?
Old 02-27-18, 01:57 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well that is how you upset teams like that. You cause turnovers.
Oh yeah. Why didn't I think of that? So Solon presses all day every day. As does Shaker and Mentor. They press in practice all day every day. And they do it with the best in Ohio. They devastate teams with there pressure. So these short, and likely lesser-skilled, Strongsville kids will be good enough at pressing to make some of the best pressing teams in Ohio (who have better athletes than you do) cough the ball up to you? You need to send your application in right now.

And you have 11 kids that can step on the floor vs these teams?
Old 02-27-18, 07:58 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Oh yeah. Why didn't I think of that? So Solon presses all day every day. As does Shaker and Mentor. They press in practice all day every day. And they do it with the best in Ohio. They devastate teams with there pressure. So these short, and likely lesser-skilled, Strongsville kids will be good enough at pressing to make some of the best pressing teams in Ohio (who have better athletes than you do) cough the ball up to you? You need to send your application in right now.

And you have 11 kids that can step on the floor vs these teams?

Relax there! Pretty sure we want the same thing here. Just saying a good coach will adapt to the players he has, and not try to make them fit his system. We don't have the height to play the half court game so you have to play up tempo. And just because Shaker or Solon presses all game, doesn't mean you cant press them back! I don't remember saying we would press these teams and outplay them and win. I just said in order to compete, that's the style of play we need for next year.
Old 02-27-18, 09:54 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Amazing the difference between Strongsville and Brunswick—two similar schools,in similar league situations, with such dissimilar results every year. And to think what a rivalry it was just less than ten years ago
Old 03-01-18, 11:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Avon runs the risk of being the team that was beaten by Strongsville twice this season...Plus, having your season come to an end at the hands of the Mustangs...Not favorable distinctions I contend.
This all came to pass as the Mustangs defeat Avon by 21 last night in first round tourney action.
Old 03-01-18, 04:32 PM
Varsity

NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Relax there! Pretty sure we want the same thing here. Just saying a good coach will adapt to the players he has, and not try to make them fit his system. We don't have the height to play the half court game so you have to play up tempo. And just because Shaker or Solon presses all game, doesn't mean you cant press them back! I don't remember saying we would press these teams and outplay them and win. I just said in order to compete, that's the style of play we need for next year.
Maybe you got what you need for 2018/2019 to press & run if you get Joe & Taylor back from football.

DC had one of his faster teams last year and although the players wanted to press and run, he just defaulted back half court. Might still be there if he would have adapted a bit, but probably enjoyed his time in Brecksville more anyways.
Old 03-01-18, 10:11 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
MustangNation17, you make mention of no less than 5 current players...good players supposedly...that are pondering departing the program...I asked if the program really has that much talent at the moment. Aside from that question, and even if your contentions as to why they want to leave are true, just curious, just where are these Strongsville basketball stalwarts thinking of moving onto? Berea/Midpark? Royalton? Programs that are (at the moment anyway) apparently suffering to a greater extent than Strongsville's? If they can't cut it here and/or shape the program into something better...Just where are they going to end up and what alleged impact will they have at their next stop?
I can't speak for the talent level at the high school, but they have some talent coming up at the middle school level.

One of the 8th grade teams had a couple real good players, including a quick guard who pretty much did what he wanted against in a win against a very good and athletic Claggett team. Claggett, IMO, was easily the most talented in the league. Strongsville's other 8th grade team, though, was bad.

At the 7th grade level, I would say that Strongsville had two of the three best individual players I saw (though I didn't see Willets). The two kids were split on different teams. The one was a bigger/stocky kid who pretty much had to do everything for his team. The other was a point guard who was easily the best player I saw (Eastern Heights had a kid who was good, but a distant second). His team also had a couple other pretty good players.

Not to take it OT because we're talking a 3-4 years down the road. But at least I didn't see a huge talent gap at the MS level. Projecting it down the road, I'll say it's like this with the westside GCC teams:

1. Medina: A bunch of very good talent coming up and a lot of depth, plus arguably their best varsity player this year was a freshman. I'll call it now, in three years, will be a team that's in state conversation.

2. Brunswick: All four of their 7th/8th teams were solid ... and had an 8th grader at South who looks like he could be a stud.

3. Strongsville: Doesn't have the depth, but potentially has a couple players at the top that should make them competitive with the top two.

4. Elyria: They better hope they get some players who didn't play MS ball, because outside the one kid on Eastern Heights' 7th grade team, it's pathetically bleak on their other six 7th/8th teams.
Old 03-02-18, 12:16 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
This all came to pass as the Mustangs defeat Avon by 21 last night in first round tourney action.
After not starting and sitting out most of the first quarter for some unknown reason, Peek dominated against Avon scoring 33. Maybe he should have been sitting out all first quarters for the last two seasons because he seemed very motivated once he entered the game both offensively and defensively.
Old 03-02-18, 11:27 AM
Freshman

Quote:
After not starting and sitting out most of the first quarter for some unknown reason, Peek dominated against Avon scoring 33. Maybe he should have been sitting out all first quarters for the last two seasons because he seemed very motivated once he entered the game both offensively and defensively.

I couldnt make it to the Avon game, but a neighbor of mine did. He said something about 2 starters coming late to practice so they sat. Or at least that was the rumor in the stands!
Old 03-02-18, 11:31 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVillegrad View Post
I can't speak for the talent level at the high school, but they have some talent coming up at the middle school level.

One of the 8th grade teams had a couple real good players, including a quick guard who pretty much did what he wanted against in a win against a very good and athletic Claggett team. Claggett, IMO, was easily the most talented in the league. Strongsville's other 8th grade team, though, was bad.

At the 7th grade level, I would say that Strongsville had two of the three best individual players I saw (though I didn't see Willets). The two kids were split on different teams. The one was a bigger/stocky kid who pretty much had to do everything for his team. The other was a point guard who was easily the best player I saw (Eastern Heights had a kid who was good, but a distant second). His team also had a couple other pretty good players.

Not to take it OT because we're talking a 3-4 years down the road. But at least I didn't see a huge talent gap at the MS level. Projecting it down the road, I'll say it's like this with the westside GCC teams:

1. Medina: A bunch of very good talent coming up and a lot of depth, plus arguably their best varsity player this year was a freshman. I'll call it now, in three years, will be a team that's in state conversation.

2. Brunswick: All four of their 7th/8th teams were solid ... and had an 8th grader at South who looks like he could be a stud.

3. Strongsville: Doesn't have the depth, but potentially has a couple players at the top that should make them competitive with the top two.

4. Elyria: They better hope they get some players who didn't play MS ball, because outside the one kid on Eastern Heights' 7th grade team, it's pathetically bleak on their other six 7th/8th teams.

Great analysis! Thanks for sharing the info with us. Only thing I would say is that Elyria always seems to have bad middle school teams and then somehow come together for a pretty decent high school squad.