Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-23-17, 02:17 PM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Do you really think that means that the super didn't recommend someone else first and get denied?...
I do not know...Not enough info contained within this thread for me to determine if that was the case here.
The point I was making is, even though posters here are mentioning that the Board president may have nixed some other potential hire...The hiring of Guilfoyle does have the recommendation of the Supt...According to the Board's meeting agenda anyway.
Old 05-23-17, 02:42 PM
Freshman

MustangMom is on a distinguished road
I'm not mentioning the name because I think it is unfair to the man to mention his name. If you know some boys on the team, ask a few. They all heard his name and knew what kind of things he had been doing in coaching. It was no secret. And it was also no secret that the BOE President spent a week refusing to support it. After a week of trying, they gave up and chose this coach. I don't think a school can afford to hire a coach if the BOE President is going to publicly speak against the hire. And that's what happened here.
Old 05-23-17, 04:30 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
If there's no name on this mysterious, Final Four making, out-of-state Norman Dale, why even continue this thread? Looks like the dialogue ought to center on Guilfoyle, O'Toole, etc.
Old 05-23-17, 05:22 PM
Freshman

Myron, ask one of the boys. They will tell you the name. The expectation ten days ago is that he would be the coach. It was all but done and the boys found out and were talking about it. Then BOE President blocked it. And I like the Norman Dale reference. Loved Hoosiers!
Old 05-23-17, 10:05 PM
Varsity

NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
If there's no name on this mysterious, Final Four making, out-of-state Norman Dale, why even continue this thread? Looks like the dialogue ought to center on Guilfoyle, O'Toole, etc.
Now why would we hire the president of the Greater Cleveland Basketball Coaches Association and one of the most respected coaches in the area by both players and peers? Such a silly idea.
Old 05-24-17, 04:05 PM
Freshman

VilleBooster is on a distinguished road
MustangMom. If you go to the meet the coach night tonight I'll be interested to hear your report on Guilfoyle's plans for this program.
Old 05-24-17, 06:44 PM
Junior Varsity

svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post
MustangMom. If you go to the meet the coach night tonight I'll be interested to hear your report on Guilfoyle's plans for this program.
The plan: 1: Pray that his top 3 senior don't transfer, stay eligible, and/or don't get hurt in football. 2. Have a great season 3. retire again
Old 05-24-17, 07:10 PM
Freshman

I don't think it's fair to give an opinion one way or the other based on a meeting, so I won't. I wish the coach the best because that is what's best for my son and his friends. Just hoping for a positive experience while wondering why we hired a coach based on things that happened almost a quarter of a century ago. As I pray all goes well, I hope our board President is ashamed of himself, and I hope his meddling is enough to get him voted out next time around. This whole thing has been disgraceful.
Old 05-24-17, 09:17 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMom View Post
I don't think it's fair to give an opinion one way or the other based on a meeting, so I won't. I wish the coach the best because that is what's best for my son and his friends. Just hoping for a positive experience while wondering why we hired a coach based on things that happened almost a quarter of a century ago. As I pray all goes well, I hope our board President is ashamed of himself, and I hope his meddling is enough to get him voted out next time around. This whole thing has been disgraceful.
They could have just hired Joe Lynch back. He was great 25 years ago too.
Old 05-24-17, 09:37 PM
All District

redskin1966 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Myron, ask one of the boys. They will tell you the name. The expectation ten days ago is that he would be the coach. It was all but done and the boys found out and were talking about it. Then BOE President blocked it. And I like the Norman Dale reference. Loved Hoosiers!
The mystery mans name is Matt Kramer,he coached at Fairless and Canton South, before moving to Georgia. He coached at Milton High School in Georgia before being let go on Jan 5, 2017, nobody is saying why he was let go. He was a candidate but , sources tell me that Guiilfoyle was the coach that Naso wanted all along, Guillfoyle is a good friend of Tucker Neal, that's all you need to know.
Old 05-25-17, 09:11 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin1966 View Post
The mystery mans name is Matt Kramer,he coached at Fairless and Canton South, before moving to Georgia. He coached at Milton High School in Georgia before being let go on Jan 5, 2017, nobody is saying why he was let go. He was a candidate but , sources tell me that Guiilfoyle was the coach that Naso wanted all along, Guillfoyle is a good friend of Tucker Neal, that's all you need to know.
Well, maybe also that Tucker has a freshman son next year that they want to keep in the program at SHS.
Old 05-25-17, 09:54 AM
Junior Varsity

arnie palmer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would not want him coaching at my school!. I had the pleasure of officiating some of his games when he coached at Canton South and Fairless and he was crazy on the sidelines. Heard lots of stories as well about how bad he treated his players.
Old 05-25-17, 09:55 AM
All American

Quote:
...I hope our board President is ashamed of himself...
Don't hold your breath...
Quote:
...and I hope his meddling is enough to get him voted out next time around...
Doubt it. With the school system spiraling downward, it doesn't appear that anybody new wants on the school board...I'm guessing that incumbents (provided they want to stay) will probably continue to run unopposed.

Last edited by mustang fan; 05-25-17 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 09:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCharlesBarkley View Post
Well, maybe also that Tucker has a freshman son next year that they want to keep in the program at SHS.
If so, sounds like the tail wagging the dog.
Old 05-25-17, 10:10 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie palmer View Post
I would not want him coaching at my school!. I had the pleasure of officiating some of his games when he coached at Canton South and Fairless and he was crazy on the sidelines. Heard lots of stories as well about how bad he treated his players.
http://sandysspiel.com/breaking-milt...ch-mid-season/

http://www.cantonrep.com/x1700902204...sketball-coach
Old 05-25-17, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I forgot about that guy.
Old 05-31-17, 03:34 PM
All District

Akronite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Apparently, Neal doesn't have the influence that some may think or they would have hired his guy.

Saw Kramer at fairless and south, enormous ego, average coaching skills, and his abrasive personality will get old quickly in mustang country.
Old 06-01-17, 06:07 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronite View Post
Apparently, Neal doesn't have the influence that some may think or they would have hired his guy.

Saw Kramer at fairless and south, enormous ego, average coaching skills, and his abrasive personality will get old quickly in mustang country.
Don't have to worry about it because he wasn't hired.

Still in shock over this hire. Disappointed for the kids and the program moving forward. This could've been a pivotal hire with this core group coming back. Things could've turned around quickly.

Word around the local gyms is that, in fact, the board president did make this hire and forced the district to choose a Candidate no one wanted. Still can't figure out the BOE motivation... but whatever. We'll see who they blame when they're searching again in two years
Old 06-01-17, 10:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Apparently, Neal doesn't have the influence that some may think or they would have hired his guy...
Don't know how much influence Neal has regarding the hiring of Guillfoyle, but, redskin1966 does contend that he (Guillfoyle) "is a good friend of Tucker Neal". If so, then it would appear that Neal got the hire he wanted.
Old 06-01-17, 09:14 PM
All District

Akronite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Don't know how much influence Neal has regarding the hiring of Guillfoyle, but, redskin1966 does contend that he (Guillfoyle) "is a good friend of Tucker Neal". If so, then it would appear that Neal got the hire he wanted.
I'm confessing, I'm lost here. Did guilfoyle or Kramer get the job?
Old 06-02-17, 07:19 AM
Freshman

Quote:
I'm confessing, I'm lost here. Did guilfoyle or Kramer get the job?
Joe Guilfoyle was hired after a 10 week 'search.'

Yes, the same joe guilfoyle that hasn't coached any form of basketball in the last five years. He was 'selected' over a pool of candidates that included Matt Kramer, Sean O'Toole, Kevin Sapara and others that would've restored instant credibility to Dtrongsville basketball.
Old 06-09-17, 04:40 PM
Freshman

Neale did not get the hire he wanted. I haven't said anything on here since the hire so I could sit back and watch how things started. Ville Booster hit the nail on the head when he said immediate credibility would have been restored to the program had we hired the former super successful Ignatius coach, the one who has had recent success at Avon or the one who was in the Final Four in Georgia in 2016. Any of them would have been perfect.
Old 12-19-17, 10:05 PM
Junior Varsity

At 0-5, is this new coach better than DC? Probably not but maybe he can complete the perfect 0-23 season.
Old 12-21-17, 08:40 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Well just to reopen this thread: looks like Guilfoyle was placed on administrative leave for his “coaching conduct.” Given his style, and Strongsville’s past treatment of its coaches this decade, and the incompetence that has made up the BOE for the past several years, who didn’t see this coming??

Last edited by Myron; 12-21-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 07:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Well just to reopen this thread: looks like Guilfoyle was placed on administrative leave for his “coaching conduct.” Given his style, and Strongsville’s past treatment of its coaches this decade, and the incompetence that has made up the BOE for the past several years, who didn’t see this coming??
Wow
Old 12-22-17, 10:13 PM
Varsity

Nope, wishful thinking on somebody' s part.

The dude was still on the sidelines against Elyria.

Last edited by NotCharlesBarkley; 12-22-17 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-29-17, 11:20 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
So this whole Guilfoyle thing doesn’t appear to be going as planned. Any thoughts from the Strongsville crowd? They look terrible!
Old 01-01-18, 09:41 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
So this whole Guilfoyle thing doesn’t appear to be going as planned. Any thoughts from the Strongsville crowd? They look terrible!
If you think they look terrible now, wait until they are introduced to the full court presses of Shaker and Solon. And of course, Christian Guess could score at will against Garfield, so against Strongsville, maybe he could go for 100.
Old 01-03-18, 03:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
...Any thoughts from the Strongsville crowd?...
I would like to hear from MustangMom...If she is in a position to chime in and share her thoughts.
Old 01-20-18, 08:23 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
I would like to hear from MustangMom...If she is in a position to chime in and share her thoughts.
2 and 10. Oh well, wait 'til next year.