Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-18, 04:54 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
It's a shame a great game has to be marred by a racist post by a Lake student.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Lake's administration issued an apology to VASJ's team and will address it with the young man.
Old 02-11-18, 10:35 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Vikings draw the 2nd seed in the district with Lake getting the 1st seed (shocker) anywho, they take on the winner of the Geneva/Shaw sectional semi on March 2nd at The Palace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-18, 11:44 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
The vote could have gone either way. I would have given Joe's the nod because of the head to head win at Lake. I think the Vikings will use the 2 seed as motivation. That is a good thing.
Old 02-12-18, 11:09 PM
All Ohio

The road to Canton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27858842_10156092455333670_2245098425893628433_n (002).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2130  
Old 02-13-18, 12:28 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Hoping we play Lake again for the district crown and this time wipe the floor after that video surfaced. I donít care if the apology was issued and accepted by both parties. That will be the only satisfaction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-18, 12:46 PM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
VASJ 11-7
Quality wins: Euclid, Gilmour, Lake Catholic
Quality losses: Cleveland Heights, SVSM, Fort Wayne N, CCC, St. Eds, Hoban, Mentor
Head to Head: Beat Lake Catholic

Lake Catholic 14-5
Quality wins: Hoban
Quality losses: Bene (2), Gilmour, Hoban, VASH
Head to Head: Lost to VASJ

VASJ should be the #1 seed, but teams are pretty close as the score of their recent game indicated. Sets up a good potential re-match to advance to regionals.
Old 02-16-18, 09:44 PM
All World

HUGE win for the young Vikings. VASJ clinched a share of the NCL White Division with a convincing 65-54 win over CCC. Don't look now but Joe's is finding their groove like they always seem to do around playoff time. This team took some knocks early in the year but always showed glimpses of what they could be. Joe's beat Lake last week and now Solon District #2 seed CCC. This is a VERY good senior laden team the Vikings beat tonight. The Vikings have a talented Cornerstone on Monday along with two glorified practice games against John Hay on Tuesday and Lutheran West on Weds. Then the real season starts. Very proud of this team and how they have listened and grown. Bring on the playoffs.
Old 02-16-18, 10:07 PM
All District

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
Not shocked

Quote:
HUGE win for the young Vikings. VASJ clinched a share of the NCL White Division with a convincing 65-54 win over CCC. Don't look now but Joe's is finding their groove like they always seem to do around playoff time. This team took some knocks early in the year but always showed glimpses of what they could be. Joe's beat Lake last week and now Solon District #2 seed CCC. This is a VERY good senior laden team the Vikings beat tonight. The Vikings have a talented Cornerstone on Monday along with two glorified practice games against John Hay on Tuesday and Lutheran West on Weds. Then the real season starts. Very proud of this team and how they have listened and grown. Bring on the playoffs.
that VASJ beat CCC but that is a big time win. CCC guard play is strong. CCA better get it together for Monday
Old 02-17-18, 09:07 AM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
VASJ in position to do some damage in the tourney. I doesn't look like there are any dominant teams in the Canton Region, and SVSM isn't elite this year, so Columbus again in certainly possible.
Old 02-18-18, 05:34 AM
All World

What makes the Joe's victory even more impressive is that last night (one day later) CCC went to the toughest place to play in NE Ohio and lost to Ed's at the buzzer in OT. This CCC team is really good people and VASJ pretty much dominated them - minus one of their key players. I like the fire Joe's is showing right now. It's like they flick a switch when they know it's playoff time.
Old 02-18-18, 09:24 AM
All District

no one wants to hear it but

That is the definition of great coaching. Don't get me wrong, VASJ's reputation blesses them with a great influx of players (didn't say transfers). But Babe lost Zo, started the year with a lot of youngsters and held the course. They were pretty average early on. Also, Babe + a great point guard is a tough combination.
Old 02-19-18, 02:43 AM
All World

Not sure how many programs can lose 7 players to transfers including a player the level of Alonzo and still be as competitive as they are like Joe's has. That being said Monday will pit two of the premier players in Ohio going toe to toe. That alone should be worth the price of admission. I have nothing but respect for what CCA has built and how they play the game. They are my hands down pick to win D4 this season. VASJ has improved to the point where they might be a legit threat to reach Columbus again. It did not look that way early in the season.
Old 02-23-18, 03:46 PM
All Ohio

Nice article about VASJ's Higgins. Great kid.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...is-measurables
Old 02-24-18, 03:16 PM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Any of you guys in the know about where those couple of stud players from St. William’s are heading next year?
Old 02-24-18, 05:01 PM
All World

I was at their game today at Gilmour and was told all 7 kids are heading to Viking Village. I was also told all the top players at Our Lady of the Lake are attending Joe's as well. That came directly from a few of the parents we know.

Last edited by Bball216; 02-24-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 10:33 PM
All District

Quote:
I was at their game today at Gilmour and was told all 7 kids are heading to Viking Village. I was also told all the top players at Our Lady of the Lake are attending Joe's as well. That came directly from a few of the parents we know.

Wow! All the top players from the two feeder schools would be awesome. Plus that wouldnít affect the competitive balance numbers right? I hope this is true because I was taking a shvitz earlier in the week and I overheard that may not have been the case.

I noticed you said ďWeĒ there at the end. Itís nice to be able to attend games with a friend or family member and not have to go by yourself. Iím sure those parents appreciated you coming up to them and talking to them at their sonís game.
Old 02-24-18, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Are we looking at a down cycle in the near future for VASJ? or are we going to continue making a run at Columbus? What supposed stud players are coming aboard? You can never tell how young kids are going to play out.What about the coaching? Both the stability of the current situation,and the desire to continue on as things stand now? Is everything sunshine and butterflies,or storm clouds on the horizon?
Old 02-24-18, 11:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Wow! All the top players from the two feeder schools would be awesome. Plus that wouldn’t affect the competitive balance numbers right? I hope this is true because I was taking a shvitz earlier in the week and I overheard that may not have been the case.

I noticed you said “We” there at the end. It’s nice to be able to attend games with a friend or family member and not have to go by yourself. I’m sure those parents appreciated you coming up to them and talking to them at their son’s game.

We know these families from church and school. My daughter goes to that school and her coach is an assistant on the 8th grade boys team. Every time you open your mouth you look like a bigger and bigger idiot and bitterman.I see one of the dads at most of the Joe's game and he said to me the whole team was going to VASJ. I know it pains you that Joe's is going to be good for the next 3 or 4 years. I know how bad you are wishing for their collapse and failure. Sorry to break the news to you. You are obviously not on board so just go away and enjoy watching Brush and Euclid.
Old 02-24-18, 11:32 PM
Freshman

sgonakisjr is on a distinguished road
Well, if B-ball 216 says everything is great, then VASJ will be strong. I can’t remember the last time he was given bad information. The fact that he thinks Joe’s alums wants the school to fail makes me sick to my stomach. Go go.
Old 02-24-18, 11:41 PM
All World

You ask a question - I give the answer right from a Dad my family has known for years, and I get ripped for it. Our family knows half the families on that team - that is why my daughter wanted to go to the game and support her classmates.
Old 02-24-18, 11:52 PM
All District

Quote:
You ask a question - I give the answer right from a Dad my family has known for years, and I get ripped for it. Our family knows half the families on that team - that is why my daughter wanted to go to the game and support her classmates.
Easy there. Jamesx2 was only asking how things look in the future. No need to rip his face off for it.
Old 02-25-18, 12:07 AM
All World

James is a good guy. Never had an issue with him. He is not problem.
Old 02-25-18, 03:17 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonakisjr View Post
Well, if B-ball 216 says everything is great, then VASJ will be strong. I can’t remember the last time he was given bad information. The fact that he thinks Joe’s alums wants the school to fail makes me sick to my stomach. Go go.
Yes it is sad to see a few VASJ alums wanting to see the basketball team and coach fail for their own agenda and petty BS. Makes me sick to my stomach too. Glad to hear we are on the same page because many of us including BBALL love the place too much and have worked too hard to let their childish behavior damage our school.

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 02-25-18 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 06:22 AM
All World

I happen to think that Joe's can go pretty far this season. I expect them to make it regionals and once you get there anything can happen. The future looks bright in my opinion. You lose a GREAT leader in Higgins next year and two roll players but you return a ton of talent including the three freshman, all your bigs, Koppelman, Priah, Calhoun and you will fill in the blanks with kids from a pretty damn good JV team. I'm not sure of who is coming in from schools outside St. Robert and William and Our Lady of the Lake - but based on history I expect a few studs. The St. Williams team plays today @ 7(sun) at CPL for the championship. While the kids are not at the level of a Lighty, Jayden or Wagg - there is some very nice talent that will mature into very productive players once they get integrated into the program and culture. I however am not ready to turn my eye to the future because I think this team has the ability to reach Columbus. That is what my gut tells me and my gut the last several years has been right.
Old 02-25-18, 07:36 AM
All American

sehs
In looking at the bracket, I would agree VASJ has a good chance at making Columbus. A mix of them being prepared and confident in the type of team they are as well as being well coached by someone who's been there before are all assets for a deep run. I've seen it happen with Ed's over the years, teams that are less talented tend to still surprise people and make a run. Division 2 is also a bit down with SVSM not being as strong as they have been and Benedictine and CCC are in D1. Higgins needs to remain stellar as he is the straw that stirs the drink but I think all the ingredients are there for sure.

One thing as an outsider that wants VASJ to succeed, it seems like there is so much extra drama at the school compared to some of the others. Seeing the post about people pushing their own agendas, remembering the whole Babe leaving his position from the school and taking a leave of absence, it just seems like there can be a lot of dysfunction there for some reason.
Old 02-25-18, 09:11 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
In looking at the bracket, I would agree VASJ has a good chance at making Columbus. A mix of them being prepared and confident in the type of team they are as well as being well coached by someone who's been there before are all assets for a deep run. I've seen it happen with Ed's over the years, teams that are less talented tend to still surprise people and make a run. Division 2 is also a bit down with SVSM not being as strong as they have been and Benedictine and CCC are in D1. Higgins needs to remain stellar as he is the straw that stirs the drink but I think all the ingredients are there for sure.

One thing as an outsider that wants VASJ to succeed, it seems like there is so much extra drama at the school compared to some of the others. Seeing the post about people pushing their own agendas, remembering the whole Babe leaving his position from the school and taking a leave of absence, it just seems like there can be a lot of dysfunction there for some reason.
Not a lot of drama at the school. It's just three or so former friends of the coach (grown men with wives, families, and good jobs) who are powerless and resort to social media attacks to try and push their points. If these passive aggressive attacks sound pathetic and childish, you're right.
Old 02-25-18, 09:39 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
Yes it is sad to see a few VASJ alums wanting to see the basketball team and coach fail for their own agenda and petty BS. Makes me sick to my stomach too. Glad to hear we are on the same page because many of us including BBALL love the place too much and have worked too hard to let their childish behavior damage our school.
I donít get a sense that anyone wants to see the basketball team fail. I donít get the sense either that anyone has their own agenda. I do, however, get a sense of the irony in you placing that last line in there about having childish behavior damage our school. Keep swinging at ghosts that arenít there Mug.
Old 02-25-18, 09:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I donít get a sense that anyone wants to see the basketball team fail. I donít get the sense either that anyone has their own agenda. I do, however, get a sense of the irony in you placing that last line in there about having childish behavior damage our school. Keep swinging at ghosts that arenít there Mug.
You sense wrong because out of 20K alums, NOBODY else acts like you and your friends do.
Old 02-25-18, 10:14 AM
All World

You have a major majority that just want to move on and a large fan base that does not even know about many of the past issues. They just want to be Viking fans and supporters. It's the small band of brothers that keep ripping off the scab and taking shots or making snide remarks. It is very childish. It's obvious to all that you are not on board and are waiting for Joe's to fail so you can give the old I told you so or HaHa in your face. That is pretty pathetic. Eventually this incredible run will come to an end and the kids will be devastated. That is when the Village will need to build them back up so they can start a new streak. NOTHING positive come out of the current comments and behavior of these so called Viking alums.
Old 02-25-18, 11:20 AM
All District

Brush Arc

Quote:
I don’t get a sense that anyone wants to see the basketball team fail. I don’t get the sense either that anyone has their own agenda. I do, however, get a sense of the irony in you placing that last line in there about having childish behavior damage our school. Keep swinging at ghosts that aren’t there Mug.
Brush Arc - you guys have a really good coach and your program is heading in the right direction. I promise you there are people in your program that are not happy.

Isn't that life? Isn't that how family is? We don't always have to agree, be on the same page.

Success is going to bring out the haters. Plain and simple. There will always be people unhappy inside a program. A team had a junior transfer last year after winning a state championship because Mommy didn't think he played enough in the state championship game. Everyone is not going to buy in.

I have no horse in this race but what is there to not like about VASJ?

They are a solid academic school
Their basketball program teaches young athletes about responsibility and discipline. In this day of AAU ball, some people will push back on that because of the individual shine they desire. It's human nature. I have no doubt the kids that stick it out will become better people because of it.
Babe is one of the top coaches in the NEO. He isn't perfect, the program isn't perfect. But then again, who is? you?

Last edited by CCA Fan; 02-25-18 at 11:21 AM. Reason: addition