Tallmadge Boosters | Track | Cross Country
Football | Baseball | TYF | TLL | Wrestling

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Suburban League > Tallmadge Blue Devils

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-05-15, 12:36 AM
Junior Varsity

BlueDevil1980 is on a distinguished road
For anyone who missed Monday's meeting

Since everyone in Tallmadge is talking about it, I had to find out for myself what happened at the meeting Monday at the Administration building. Today, I had the opportunity to listen to an audio recording of the meeting that was made by one of the people in attendance. I was floored by some of the things that came out at the meeting and felt that anyone who is interested in hearing what was said, should have the opportunity, since this was a public meeting and everyone has the right to know what transpired. I took notes as best as I could, and I will try to give you a run down on all of the points made by a student and many parents. This will not be perfect, since I was only able to listen to it one time. Also, I am going to add some of my reactions to what was said.

The student speaker is a member of the football team and attended the meeting to express the team's concerns about the head football coach and the football program in general. A teacher of his encouraged him to stand up and let his concerns be known. The Superintendent, and I believe two school board members were present at the meeting.

Student - After Coach Pollock was hired as the head football coach, one of the best players on the team, a junior, talked to him about playing quarterback. Coach Pollock told him that he would not be playing QB this year because a sophomore was going to be the starting QB. This was in April and Pollock had not seen any of the players play yet, but was not going to give the junior an opportunity to compete for the spot.

Wow, never heard of handing starting positions to kids in high school, especially the most important position on the team

Student - During summer passing scrimmages, a senior asked Coach Pollock why he wasn't getting rotated in at all on offense or defense. Pollocks response was that the senior would not be playing offense or defense this season, he was only going to be a holder for extra points.

How could any coach do this to a senior? Tell him that he won't be playing offense or defense this year when the team was not even in pads yet and hadn't even started official practices yet?

Student - Around the same time, during passing scrimmages, the student speaker went to Pollock with the same concerns--not getting any repetitions. When questioned, Coach Pollock responded that he could not say that the sophomore was any better than him, or his freshmen brother who was also now getting repetitions with the varsity group. He was told that the coaches had evaluated film from last year and that he was not going to be a quarterback for this team. He admitted to the student that is has something to do with the name on the back of the jersey.

Saying these kind of things to players is probably the worst thing a coach could do. He probably lost the respect of quite a few players before he even held his first official practice.

Student - Another senior, who is interested in playing college football, went to see Coach Pollock about his stats on Max Preps being incorrect. Coach Pollock responded by firing back that he is not concerned about how many tackles the senior has.

I noticed that none of the Tallmadge players were listed in any of the stats in Beacon Journal for the entire season. Apparently Coach Pollock is too busy to see to it that his players get some recognition.

Student - At halftime of one of the games, a junior defensive back asked what adjustment he should make to stop a certain pass route that they were getting beat with. Coach Pollock jumped on the junior before the defensive coordinator had an opportunity to respond. His response: "How about you come up and make a f*****g play next time" Profanity was commonplace for Coach Pollock.

I have heard about this from more than one parent. Totally unnecessary and unacceptable

Student - Mid season Coach Pollock told another senior's parents that the coaches had voted to kick him off of the team. This senior also was not given a fair chance to compete for a position.

This particular senior got significant playing time as a junior, on a much better team that made it to the state playoffs. Kind of hard to believe that he wasn't able to get on the field as a senior. What kid could possibly stay positive given what was going on?

Student - A junior, who was the starting JV quarterback, was told that he would not be playing QB at Tallmadge, that the freshman would be the starter for the next three years.

Wow. No words.

Student - At halftime of the Copley game, down 28 - 0, Coach Pollock's only words to the team were that he was going to be playing backups the second half. He did not attempt to make any adjustments for the second half--basically giving up.

I was at this game and was embarrassed for the Tallmadge football program. It didn't appear that the coaches did anything to prepare for this game. The score could have been 100 - 0.

Student - Team morale got worse every week of the season. At one point the juniors and seniors had planned to walk off the field before a game to show their disappointment and displeasure with what was going on. When Coach Pollock found out about this, his only statement to the team about it was that anyone who doesn't want to be there should leave.

Coach Pollock created this venomous atmosphere, and I don't blame the upper classmen for feeling this way.

Student - The week of the Highland game, the team lost one of its best players, as he left Tallmadge to transfer to another school. The player left because everything had gotten so bad with the program and he realized that is was not going to get any better as long as Coach Pollock is the head coach. The players do not blame the player who transferred at all and it was noted that the player's parents were in attendance at the meeting.

This is truly very sad, as this players parents are probably the biggest Tallmadge supporters in the community. This speaks volumes about how bad things have gotten.

Student - Coach Pollock further demonstrated his lack of care about winning with this team by not taking the time to review game film with the players. It was noted that even in youth football that the coaches reviewed game film with the team. A friend of one of the seniors actually took it upon himself to have the players come to his house on Saturday to review the game film, since Coach Pollock didn't bother.

This is really disgusting and it demonstrates that there was very little effort put into preparing the players and giving them the best opportunity to be successful.

Student - When turning in his equipment on Saturday, the student speaker was told by Coach Pollock that there wasn't a position for him this year and there won't be one for him next year. He was told that he is not a part of the plan and that he should not bother playing next year. This was said to another junior as well.

This is sad on so many different levels, but most of all, this shows the true character of this man. He has no business being a coach anywhere, especially not Tallmadge.

Parent - Expressed concern about a player that was seriously injured after Coach Pollock let him go into the weight room to lift without any coaches supervising. Also, as a senior parent, she was very upset that Coach Pollock failed to address the seniors at the final team meal or after the final game against Aurora. She was very grateful that the freshmen coaches stepped in and addressed the seniors after the Aurora game.

Again, Coach Pollock demonstrated that he did not care about this senior class one bit. Since he didn't have the decency to thank the seniors, I will.

On behalf of the Tallmadge community, I would like to express our appreciation for your dedication and commitment to Tallmadge football. You had three great years in this program, which included two trips to the state playoffs and you can be proud of your many accomplishments--individually, and as a team. Your senior season will not be defined by the team record, instead, your legacy will be the incredible way that you handled the mountain of adversity that was thrown at you and through it all, you represented the Tallmadge community with class and dignity. Thank you!

Parent - At the last game against Aurora, down 45 - 0 and with about 5 to 6 minutes remaining in the game, Coach Pollock pulled the offensive starters. Instead of putting sophomores and juniors into the game who had not played yet, Coach Pollock put 8 freshmen players into the game. He put the freshmen who had not practiced once with the varsity team into the game, instead of the sophomores and juniors who had been practicing with the team every day since June. The freshmen had just played their own game the night before.

Total scumbag move. I honestly don't know how any coach with any kind of conscience could do this to his players--UNREAL!

Parent - Her son was called down to the athletic director's office because he tweeted that in his opinion the freshmen QB should not be starting because there are three other QB's that are better than him.

I'm pretty sure that even as a teenager that there are still some rights regarding freedom of speech. I know I have been out of school for a long time, but since when is the athletic director allowed to pull kids out of class to bully them? Even if the tweet was inappropriate, isn't it the assist. principal's job to administer discipline in the school?

Parent - Gave her account of a very positive team experience that her younger son experienced with the middle school football team this year, even though they didn't win a single game. She gave a great deal of praise to the middle school football coaches. Her husband gave a contrasting account of the high school football program and how bad of an experience that it was for their senior son. He was extremely surprised at how short the practices were and also shocked that the coaches didn't review game film with the players. Additionally, comments were made about Coach Pollock's lack of effort in helping their son go on to play college football. It was stated that Coach Vassalotti did more for their son this year to help him play in college than Coach Pollock did.

Common theme of no effort or care for the seniors by the coach.

Alumnus - A 2013 graduate who is now an assistant coach for Barberton spoke about how he had been in communication with some of the players on the team throughout the season and could not believe how bad everything has gotten. He mentioned that the athletic director was in the coaches office quite frequently during the season. He further stated that when Barberton played Tallmadge, that the way Tallmadge was doing things, they knew what just about every play was before it was run.

If you saw this game, you definitely know that this is true.

Parent - Brought up the idea that the athletic director was involved with the things that are going on with the football program. Mentioned that issues with the athletic director had been brought to the board in the past and that nothing has been done, including something about a letter that the athletic director sent to parents.

Haven't heard anything about this before, but I am trying to get more information on it. Since I am very intrigued by this, I will do a follow-up post if I find out what this is about.

Parent - Brought up that this same set of circumstances came up also during baseball season and that freshmen were put on the varsity team in place of some upperclassmen.

This is relevant since freshmen were handed positions on the varsity football team and there was no competition allowed for the starting QB position.

Parent - His senior son did not get an opportunity to play and a freshman was put ahead of him. One coach told him that his son and the freshman were equal in ability, so he didn't understand why a freshmen would play ahead of a senior if they are equal. Another coach later told him that his son definitely deserved to play over the freshman.

It is very obvious that the coach ignored the majority of the upperclassmen in order to prepare for something that might happen 3 years from now.

Parent - Stated that Coach Pollock has expressed to both players and adults that he is building for the team three years from now. He expressed that this approach has no place in high school athletics and should be saved for professional sports.

Agreed, this is totally absurd. This also further demonstrates that Coach Pollock had no regard for the senior class and also is likely to repeat this next year.

I believe that's everything. I really don't think we need to know anything else. This information speaks for itself. Simply stated, THERE IS NO REPAIRING THIS! The only way that anything changes next year is with a different coach. If our Board of Education chooses to renew this coach's contract next year, then they have not done the job that we have elected them to do.

Last edited by BlueDevil1980; 11-06-15 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 07:37 AM
All Ohio

PARROTHD47 is on a distinguished road
For those of you that may not know, the current football coach was hired by a committee of people, not just one person. They reviewed all the applicants and vetted them and decided who should be the next coach. This committee was a combination of teachers, administrators, residents and other coaches.

Contrary to some peoples opinion, the current coach was not hand picked by the AD.
Old 11-05-15, 08:15 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARROTHD47 View Post
For those of you that may not know, the current football coach was hired by a committee of people, not just one person. They reviewed all the applicants and vetted them and decided who should be the next coach. This committee was a combination of teachers, administrators, residents and other coaches.

Contrary to some peoples opinion, the current coach was not hand picked by the AD.
Throughout this nightmare season, I can't ever recall hearing anyone complaining about the AD hiring the coach. I am absolutely positive that NO ONE could have seen all of this coming.

Having said that, I really don't think it matters who hired him, the only thing that matters is that we are big enough people to admit that we made a mistake and then correct it.
Old 11-05-15, 08:52 AM
Freshman

Dogdevils is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm we all know kids tell only 100% truth. If any of you believe that seek help immediately. Now as the the player who quit in the middle of the year let's all not forget as a incoming freshman he went to hoban for a few days & QUIT cuz he couldn't hack it. That same player QUIT basketball last year in the middle of the season. That same player talked about QUITTING last year in the middle of the baseball season.
Old 11-05-15, 10:42 AM
All District

Mom of 4 is on a distinguished road
A typical response by those who can't defend their position with facts is to personally attack an individual. Holds no value.....unless you are in 3rd grade.
Old 11-05-15, 10:55 AM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
According to the players parents (on transferring to Hoban)........it was a hard decision but it was for NON-FOOTBALL related reasons. This came straight from the horses mouth, so let's not assume or imply it was for football only. I'd like to believe the parents on this decision and respect it.
Old 11-05-15, 01:10 PM
Freshman

tdman711 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil Backer View Post
According to the players parents (on transferring to Hoban)........it was a hard decision but it was for NON-FOOTBALL related reasons. This came straight from the horses mouth, so let's not assume or imply it was for football only. I'd like to believe the parents on this decision and respect it.
you dont quit mid-season then transfer to a "football" school and say it doesnt have to do with football. cmon now.
Old 11-05-15, 01:30 PM
All American

OldCard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdevils View Post
Hmmm we all know kids tell only 100% truth. If any of you believe that seek help immediately. Now as the the player who quit in the middle of the year let's all not forget as a incoming freshman he went to hoban for a few days & QUIT cuz he couldn't hack it. That same player QUIT basketball last year in the middle of the season. That same player talked about QUITTING last year in the middle of the baseball season.
Wow. All I can say is that if you said those things about my kid, you would get a front row seat to an event you would never forget.

Nothing like an ).( whoopin' to bring about a change of attitude.
Old 11-05-15, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdevils View Post
That's garbage. It's clear by this completely inappropriate post that you have no idea about this situation. Thank you for exposing yourself as a complete tool.
Old 11-05-15, 03:16 PM
Freshman

devilsadvocate16 is on a distinguished road
Whats the outcome?

This was obviously a very interesting meeting but i have heard of no resignation and no firing at this point. It was mentioned that it takes a commitee to hire the coach. Is this the same buddy system that led us to the tragedy that hurt all of these innocent kids? Who is responsible here? Just the head coach, or all of the coaches? Why did it take the kids to lose an entire year of there high school career before action was taken? Does this show class? Perhaps, but its definately not justice. These kids did not deserve this and the chain of accountability does not fall into one mans lap. I am proud to see that parents are taking a stand. Dont stop the fight until action is given. Maybe its time to take the gloves off because it is very clear that their concern was not for the kids and all involved that stood and watched and did not want to make a stand, should now just resign. Will this happen? Probably not. Another slap on the ADs wrist? Probably so. Other coaches being held accountable? Probably not. Does this define insanity?
Old 11-05-15, 04:56 PM
Freshman

mirsav is on a distinguished road
Look how good they played against Garfield,New Philly, Kent, Revere and Highland. There was some progress made this year.They came back on Ellet and got close against Ravenna. Only teams that blew them out were Barberton, Aurora and Copley and 2 of those teams are D2 schools. Just trying to be a little positive amongst all this negativity.
Old 11-05-15, 06:13 PM
All American

OldCard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirsav View Post
a good youth coach that has alot of experience will know just as much as a high school coach,football is football whether your 14 or 17.
WTH?

And this might be the real problem folks.

If I was one of the coaches, I would beg you to quit defending me.
Old 11-05-15, 06:30 PM
Freshman

Awesome getting stuff from 3 yrs ago you really on the ball.Lol
Old 11-05-15, 06:33 PM
Freshman

Just funny to me that coach Pollock was a good coach everywhere he has been.EXCEPT NOW hmmmm.
Old 11-05-15, 06:40 PM
Junior Varsity

BDevils18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just funny to me that coach Pollock was a good coach everywhere he has been.EXCEPT NOW hmmmm.
BAM!!!! Absolutely freaking right!!! There is no way that a coach could have been this bad on his own. This proves the AD and coach conspired to throw this team under the bus. It was a group effort to screw the juniors and seniors. This team should be in the playoffs right now if not for the AD making the coach showcase his sons. Adolph at QB starting in April like he wanted would have given this team a real shot to have a great season.
Old 11-05-15, 07:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
For the love of God, can't you just stay on the Mogadore threads and give it a rest!

And by the way, I could only find record of him being a head coach one other place other than Mogadore. He was the head coach at Southeast in 2013 and his record was 5-5, so nice try. AND, hmmmm, he only lasted there one year! Coincidence?

Last edited by BlueDevil1980; 11-05-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 07:24 PM
All District

bulldog53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Look how good they played against Garfield,New Philly, Kent, Revere and Highland. There was some progress made this year.They came back on Ellet and got close against Ravenna. Only teams that blew them out were Barberton, Aurora and Copley and 2 of those teams are D2 schools. Just trying to be a little positive amongst all this negativity.
I saw the Revenna, Garfield,new philly and kent games . Those teams were really bad and the Blue Devils lost to them. So what's that tell ya?
Old 11-05-15, 07:44 PM
All American

OldCard
Quote:
Awesome getting stuff from 3 yrs ago you really on the ball.Lol
So what has changed to make your statement from 3 years ago no longer how you feel?

How many jobs has this coach tried to get since he "quit coaching to watch his sons play ball?"

Your arguments don't hold water junior. Why did he get rejected for the Green job?
Old 11-05-15, 08:05 PM
Freshman

Well boys good luck getting the coach fired. I like talking about state championships anyway. Good luck
Old 11-05-15, 09:42 PM
Freshman

ABD1258 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Glad the team "played good" against teams like Garfield- who they have never lost to, New Philly who ran all over the field, Kent who was an embarrassment to the suburban league, Revere who might as well play a freshmen schedule, and Highland who did not play hardly any starters and qb played jv Saturday morning. My 13 year old kid could coach a state title team at mogadore.
Old 11-05-15, 09:52 PM
Freshman

ABD1258 is on a distinguished road
I greatly admire the parents and players who had the guts to stand up to this situation. After hearing everything from someone who attended the meeting and these post I see no reason this coach should continue to stay with this team. I am not sure how you take a head varsity position and decide to put minimal effort into the team and players. The best thing he can do for these players is step down and allow them to play for a coach who cares and will put everything into the season. We dont expect a 10-0 record but we do expect a coach do everything they can to help these boys grow as players and people.
Old 11-06-15, 07:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
He was successful in D6. This is big boy football. You have to actually prepare and make coaching decisions.
Old 11-06-15, 07:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
We've never lost to Garfield, New Philly shut us out, and Kent and Revere might actually be worse than us. They came back against Ellets JV team and were you at the Ravenna game?? As I and many others have said, this goes WAY beyond the 2-8 record. You're missing the big picture somehow.
Old 11-06-15, 01:10 PM
Junior Varsity

Parent - Expressed concern about a player that was seriously injured after Coach Pollock let him go into the weight room to lift without any coaches supervising

I have subsequently been told that an assistant football coach was fired by the AD in the past 3 years and that one of the primary reasons given for his dismissal was this exact same offense. The difference between the two was that in the incident involving the assistant coach that was fired, no one was injured. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

On a side note regarding the weight lifting incident, I was also told that Pollock did not have ANY weight lifting program during the summer or ANY maintenance program during the season (probably explains why the player was in the weight room on his own). This is unacceptable in high school football and while it probably was OK when he was coaching D6, you will never win at this level without having a good weight training program in place. Just another example of a total lack of effort by Pollock.

Last edited by BlueDevil1980; 11-06-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 10:29 PM
All Ohio

PARROTHD47 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hello in there. What color is the sky in your world?

Dr Frasier Crane, Cheers
Old 11-07-15, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
In their 8 losses, they scored 63 points and gave up 275. That's an avg margin of 34-8 in their losses. What is positive about that?
Old 11-07-15, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

GRPride86 is on a distinguished road
Now now H2, he won a state championship 30 years ago at d10. It just takes time
Old 11-07-15, 08:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRPride86 View Post
Now now H2, he won a state championship 30 years ago at d10. It just takes time
Yes of course. By the way...is the Pollock playing QB for Mogadore now related to him?
Old 11-07-15, 11:50 PM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Yes of course. By the way...is the Pollock playing QB for Mogadore now related to him?
Nephew. Other than that staying out of this biased conversation.
Old 11-08-15, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Nephew. Other than that staying out of this biased conversation.
Biased? Really?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: