Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-24-14, 08:38 PM
All American

WarriorOne is on a distinguished road
The Huber Heights Wayne Warriors versus the Centerville Elks

The Huber Heights Wayne Warriors versus the Centerville Elks
The Circled Game on their Schedule

Huber Heights, OH — As if the annual football game between Huber Heights and Centerville did not mean enough already, an assemblage of former Wayne and Centerville NCAA and NFL athletes will be on the sidelines or in the stands rooting on their state top ranked teams this Friday at 7:00 PM. They know the rewards of this, so-called, Gem City Bowl has not been this high in quite some time. But forget about the rivalry, disregard the stakes and ignore the hype for a moment.

Think about the talent these teams have produced. Over the years, an unusual number of key football players from these two schools have starred in college and in the league. While it is common to find a big-time college athlete from a small school, the top players in the NCAA predominately come from the most successful high school programs like Centerville and Wayne.

The Game: Yet again, Wayne and Centerville will renew their intense football rivalry in front of an expected sell-out crowd in the hostile 8,000 seat Centerville Stadium for the Greater Western Ohio Conference (GWOC), Central Division Championship, and really much, much more is on the line.

Game tickets went on sale at the Centerville athletic office on October 14, seventeen days before kickoff. Presale of the 3,000 tickets allotted to Wayne will begin October 27-31 from 8:00 AM until 2:00 PM at the Warrior athletic office. Centerville does not expect any ticket sales at the gate.

This is a brutal game; but the intrigue of this fierce, yet evenly matched battle lies in its drama and unpredictability. It is usually very difficult to predict the outcome. Are there any guesses?

Even so, the resurging Elks and the marauding Warriors are entering this crucial game with only the division championship to lose and everything else to gain. Both teams are already qualified for the post-season tourney, but a win will validate their position at the top of their division and give them bragging rights for at least another year.

Although both teams surely are a first round playoff host, the archrivals may also be playing for the coveted top seed in the OHSAA Region II, State tournament. Centerville and Wayne are the only Division – I schools in southwest Ohio without a blemish on their record. Both teams are ranked nationally. Even more, Wayne is number three, and the Elks are six in the State poll. In addition, they are rated number one and two in the OHSAA Region II official rankings. Therefore, a win by either team effectively assures their position at the top of the Harbin race.

Dating back to week three of the 2013 season, the Warriors are on a seventeen game regular season winning streak. Since week-8 of that same year, the Elks have won twelve consecutive regular season games too. Centerville’s last regular season loss (35-42) was to Wayne on October 18, 2013.

Juxtaposing their current seasons through the first eight weeks, the Warriors have outscored their opponents 376 – 65 with four shutouts. The Elks’ challengers have been somewhat closer, 273 – 108. The Warriors are scoring an impressive 47 points per game (Ppg) while holding their opponents to 8 Ppg. The Elks are averaging a remarkable 34 Ppg and they are only giving up 14 Ppg.

Considering wins and losses, combined, the Warriors opponents are 32 – 30 through the first eight weeks. Likewise, the Elks challengers are a collective 31 – 33. These rivals have each competed against two playoff teams and two teams of the same smaller divisions.

Given that half their schedules are the same, the Warriors appear somewhat sounder by the tracked critical metrics. The obvious difference in the comparisons is the Wayne shutouts and the points scored and allowed by each team. Were the Elks’ opponents that good or were the Warriors that much better?

Nonetheless, the winning team in this encounter will complete the regular season undefeated while ruining that pursuit of perfection for their archrival.

Comparatively the Huber Heights Wayne Warriors versus the Centerville Elks battle is one of Ohio’s newest great rivalries. Still, it may be the most contentious matchup in the state or most certainly in southwest Ohio. It dates back to their time in the Western Ohio League (WOL) in the early 1980s. It seems there is always something at stake other than bragging rights. Many would like to have a corporate sponsored trophy or some other bauble awarded to the winner.

Others believe this clash of Miami Valley titans should be the last game of the regular season every year. However, the GWOC authorities decided in 2001 to allow the game to take place in different weeks each year. It is only by chance set for the last week this year.

Nonetheless, considering the passion and the viciousness of this contest, it could drain both teams emotionally and leave them vulnerable in the first round of the playoff.

Historically, Centerville dominated Miami Valley football during the early years compiling a 439 – 221 – 7 record against all comers. Unfortunately, in recent years they struggled to continue that superior standard. During Head Coach Ron Ullery’ 14-year tenure, including playoff games, the Elks boasted a 104 – 47 record versus all challengers while suffering a 5 – 11 mark against Wayne.

Wayne has qualified for the playoff tournament sixteen times, most recently, in 2013. Similarly, Centerville has met that standard on fourteen occasions, also most recently, in 2013.

Although qualifying for the tournament, the Elks used an old-fashioned time consuming triple option offense and frequently lost early in playoff competition. Consequently, the Elks fans grew increasingly dismayed and angry. Many of the most fervent pushed for a change. Of course, a shift in strategy meant a change in leadership.

Consequently, they hired highly successful small school coach Rodney Roberts to modernize the program. He is an apparent rising star that has thus far proven himself well. In this contest, a renewal of sorts, Centerville introduces Coach Roberts to the Wayne Warriors, and what an occasion for this to happen? Just as Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra said, it is like “déjà vu all over again.”

Similar to the 1999 game in the friendly confines of Heidkamp Stadium, both teams entered that, the penultimate game of the season undefeated. Back then, the Elks stampeded through Heidkamp, trampling a mud hole in the overwhelmed Warriors, 35 – 14. They won the WOL championship, embarrassing the Warriors before an ambitiously estimated 14,000 screaming fans and in Wayne’s first televised game.

The Elks went on to win their regional quarterfinal matchup with Mason (35 – 31) only to lose to Cincinnati Elder in the semifinal game (49 – 42).

Meanwhile, the Warriors defeated Fairfield (18 – 14), Cincinnati St Xavier (37 – 14) and Cincinnati Elder (24 – 14) to win the OHSAA Region IV tournament and beat nationally ranked Worthington Kilbourne (12 – 10) in the State semi-final before succumbing to Cleveland St Ignatius (10 – 24) in the State championship game.

When Coach Roberts arrived at Centerville, he likely had a vision, a mental picture of reestablishing the Elks as a football power that could win championships. However, like the embattled Ullery, he may soon learn football coaches can have a great year but if they lose this one game, the rest of the season does not matter.

Nevertheless, while acknowledging the Centerville philosophy and traditions, Coach Roberts brought a more exciting style to Centerville, a so-called modern approach to the Elks offense. He abandoned the triple option and installed a robust “Air Raid” from a shotgun with a dynamic play-action pass strategy. He also uses a few basic quarterback handoffs along with some tricky misdirection and an aggressive downfield passing attack with remarkable success.

Moreover, he raised the stakes in the Harbin race earlier this season by soundly defeating an old Wayne nemesis, Trotwood-Madison. Although that win was somewhat expected, the Elks’ defensive effort caught most of their skeptics unaware.

The Elks are a disciplined team that works together well. So who knows what he has awaiting the rampaging Warriors?

On the Warrior side, a perhaps, over confident Wayne fan said, “Centerville has been impressive under their new coach. But for us, it’s about what we do. We’re excited about this team. They believe in themselves; they believe in each other. They’ve got it going on.” He concluded, “We’ll be ready.”

No one knows what to make of the skinny, cerebral young man leading the “Wayne Train” . Is D'Mitrik Trice a quarterback that plays basketball or a point guard playing football? That is a question he will let the gaggle of college football and basketball recruiters knocking down his door sort out. But for sure, he is a baller. (See video clips here)http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/dmit...Jg/default.htm His run-and-shoot style is perfect for his bevy of lanky, sure-handed receivers.

One of his receivers, Ahmad Wagner, a senior, established himself as a leading college prospect with several signature games and moments including a one-handed catch for a touchdown in a win over Springfield. The play was featured on several sporting news highlight shows and on a recruiting service video. (See the catch here) http://recruiting.scout.com/story/14...e-handed-catch

In addition, Greg Schroeder, a punishing running back will keep the opposing defense honest. He has the speed and slashing ability to turn the most mundane play into an explosive highlight. (See video clips here) http://<br /> http://www.fox45now.c..._vid_236.shtml

Defense: This defense changes games. There is no doubt it is not only championship-caliber, it may be the best in Region II or perhaps even the state. It has a disruptive interior lineman in Robert Landers, and an especially athletic line-backing and secondary crew led by Tyree Kinnel. They are great against the run and virtually blankets the underneath coverage. Now, the requisite caveat – but playing a two-deep safety or cover-two, on occasion they have let receivers get behind them, exposing them on the back end.

Will they fix this apparent weakness in time to stop the Elks? The answer is coming soon.

The Warriors were unbeaten in the 1987 and 1989 regular seasons. However, both times they lost in the first round of the playoffs. The Elks have four undefeated seasons. Still, the Warriors have consecutive victories over the Elks the last two years and they have prevailed in five of their last six meetings.

So Centerville is hungry for the “W.” But Wayne fans know, their young men cannot be Warriors without their “W.” So, ending with another Yogi Berra pithy quote, "It ain't over 'til it's over.”

Last edited by WarriorOne; 10-25-14 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-14, 08:39 PM
Cooling Off

JoeMontana can only hope to improve
Wayne by a lot...
Old 10-24-14, 08:51 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
I think we're looking at a tight game

24-21
Old 10-24-14, 08:53 PM
All Ohio

dbarnian is on a distinguished road
Is this game already sold out??
Old 10-24-14, 09:23 PM
All American

NfamousWayneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NfamousWayneFan
Wayne doesn't sell their allotted tickets until Monday at the Main Office at Wayne and at Wayne Sporting Goods.
Old 10-24-14, 09:33 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
League games tell a bit of a different story

Centerville PF 160 PA 63
Wayne PF 179 PA 40

I'd say both teams are very close...

What I like about this season is Centerville's ability make a quick strike verses eating up the clock for 8 minutes to score a touchdown.
Old 10-24-14, 11:57 PM
All Region

DButkis60 is on a distinguished road
Nobody on Centerville's team would say that! If it was your cousin step-son he must suck and not play! We will see!
Old 10-25-14, 12:06 AM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimewaynefan View Post
Wayne by at least 10. My cousin has a stepson in Centerville-who plays on the team. He has stated several times "Wayne will DESTROYCenterville". Of course, he's a former Wayne DB, but, he's also brutally honest-and he knows football. We're too fast for Centerville. Too athletic. #WayneTrain
Might as well not even play then, the all knowing football guru has spoken.
Old 10-25-14, 12:52 AM
All Region

LGL2017 is on a distinguished road
Should be one of the best games of the year. Both defenses appear stout, that said I think it will be fairly high scoring. Home field should help the elks, Wayne is arguably the best D1 program in the greater Dayton area. I would like to see the Elks and coach Roberts gain his first win in this rivalry, but my head says Wayne will pull out a hard fought win. Maybe even overtime to decide this one.

Wayne-38
Elks-35
Old 10-25-14, 01:51 AM
Cooling Off

JoeMontana can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks48 View Post
Might as well not even play then, the all knowing football guru has spoken.
How do you figure?
Old 10-25-14, 04:11 AM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontana View Post
How do you figure?
No need to figure either, the guru has spoken.
Old 10-25-14, 06:48 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOne View Post
. Therefore, a win by either team effectively assures their position at the top of the Harbin race.

................................................[/I]
Not correct, if X wins out, they could be 1st; depending how the L2's shake out in week 10, if X wins today, they will be 1st [31.338] in region 2 after week 9.

Last edited by Termite2; 10-25-14 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-25-14, 07:01 AM
All American

WarriorOne is on a distinguished road
Unable to determine if the tickets they are selling at Wayne Sporting Goods are part of the 3,000-ticket allotment to Wayne High School.
Old 10-25-14, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontana View Post
How do you figure?
How do I figure what?
Old 10-25-14, 09:39 AM
All Region

Elks70 is on a distinguished road
This game will be epic
Old 10-25-14, 09:56 AM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks70 View Post
This game will be epic
I hope so...but more than anything, I hope we both get through it injury free!
Old 10-25-14, 10:28 AM
Freshman

JustAFan70 is on a distinguished road
ELKSONE,
I don't know if league games really tell a different story. 27 of the 40 points scored against Wayne were in the 4th quarter when the game was in running clock mode, and the starters were long gone. Only 19 of the 63 points scored against Centerville were in the 4th or OT, and I'm pretty sure the starters were still in against Fairmont. Wayne is the more talented team, and the clear favorite in this one, but games aren't won on paper. I guess this is why we play the game!
Old 10-25-14, 11:06 AM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Despite Wayne's success and record, I would say Centerville is the slight favorite. Centerville knows what Wayne does since it is the same almost every year. This is a "new-look" Centerville team which IMHO gives Centerville a slight edge. I would prefer that the Warriors come into this game thinking they are the underdog and have something to prove!
Old 10-25-14, 03:03 PM
All Region

Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
I hope so...but more than anything, I hope we both get through it injury free!
Amen brother! I want a great hard fought game but hope both teams stay healthy for week 11. Gook luck!
Old 10-25-14, 07:55 PM
All Yappi

FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Good luck to both schools. They have both had terrific seasons. Their hard work has put them in this position.

This is the biggest game in the Dayton area that I can remember for some time. I hope that people and the news treat it as such. I miss the days where football games had people lined up all around the field and the parking lots were full of people an hour before kickoff. I am sure this game will bring back those days.
Old 10-25-14, 08:36 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGuy View Post
Good luck to both schools. They have both had terrific seasons. Their hard work has put them in this position.

This is the biggest game in the Dayton area that I can remember for some time. I hope that people and the news treat it as such. I miss the days where football games had people lined up all around the field and the parking lots were full of people an hour before kickoff. I am sure this game will bring back those days.
You're right...that's why this game should be moved to Saturday night. Get it off Beggar's night and get it to a night when everybody can be there!
Old 10-25-14, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You're right...that's why this game should be moved to Saturday night. Get it off Beggar's night and get it to a night when everybody can be there!
If it were moved to Saturday night, I'd be there, no question.

Good luck to both squads. Keep your eye on the prize. A win is nice but the playoffs are what matter. Stay healthy!

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-25-14, 11:50 PM
All World

other1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Despite Wayne's success and record, I would say Centerville is the slight favorite. Centerville knows what Wayne does since it is the same almost every year. This is a "new-look" Centerville team which IMHO gives Centerville a slight edge. I would prefer that the Warriors come into this game thinking they are the underdog and have something to prove!
Wayne is the overwhelming favorite.
Old 10-26-14, 12:32 AM
All District

Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There probably were a lot of reasons not to move the game:

- I believe the Centerville Band Invitational is scheduled Saturday from noon to about 10pm in the stadium.
- It would be unwise to give both teams one less day to get ready for the playoffs
- The Buckeyes game is scheduled at 8pm in Columbus Saturday night.
- Many people really could care less that it is on beggar's night.
- Although I would have liked to see the game played on Thursday night, many people would have complained about that.

Sorry you will miss the game. Hope it is a good one!
Old 10-26-14, 01:10 AM
Varsity

Warpath is on a distinguished road
Yes, Wayne Sporting Goods is selling part of the allotment and usually the majority of it.

Does anyone know the overall record between the schools? The Wayne program did not have all-time records team vs team. Last time I looked Wayne was down by 16 wins. That was a long time ago though.

Thanks in advance! Oh, GO WAYNE!!!
Old 10-26-14, 03:43 AM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
From what I've seen, Wayne is the favorite...
That said...Congratulations to Coach Roberts & staff and to the C'ville players for an already outstanding year. To make the transition they have and to be in the position they are given that transition is remarkable. Roberts is as advertised...a dedicated & inspirational coach...period. And these Elk players are to be congratulated for buying in, believing in the CV tradition & not missing a beat.
Now to the game...
The positives for the Elks...
The defensive front has been stout. At the point of attack, they are physical & formidable.
The LB's, in IMHO have improved throughout the season. Both these units will need to play fast & furious to pressure & contain Wayne's outstanding QB.
C'ville's secondary, once a weakness, has become an asset. Against Wayne, they will need to be aggressive, not preventative. To me, the key to this game will be for C'ville's defense to play faster & more aggressively swarm to the ball when things break down...and they will.
The Elk offense has been consistently improving throughout the year, really adapting to the shotgun spread. Alright I'll say it...Will Vance has simply been sensational. This kid has gone from a pure option QB, and has turned into a first-rate passer. The other positive is the development of the offensive line pass blocking. Though lacking the physical dominance of historical CV run-first lines, this group has really matured, given what's now expected of them.
Finally, kudos to the backfield kids & coaches...These guys "run hard."
Damion Popp actually reminds me of a smaller, slower version of C'ville great Dave Preston. Great instincts, great vision and hits 20-30 lbs. harder than he is. That aside, Ashburn, Anthony, & Crisp have all exhibited similar characteristics. There's a good reason Robert's kept Jermaine Baily on his staff.
What the Elks will have to overcome is a Wayne team who has outstanding team speed, a solid, swarming defense, a great backfield and are very well-coached.
This game will come down to who wants it more & C'ville will need to win that component to prevail... Good luck to both squads & stay healthy for week 11!
Old 10-26-14, 07:45 AM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk View Post
There probably were a lot of reasons not to move the game:

- I believe the Centerville Band Invitational is scheduled Saturday from noon to about 10pm in the stadium.
- It would be unwise to give both teams one less day to get ready for the playoffs
- The Buckeyes game is scheduled at 8pm in Columbus Saturday night.
- Many people really could care less that it is on beggar's night.
- Although I would have liked to see the game played on Thursday night, many people would have complained about that.

Sorry you will miss the game. Hope it is a good one!
Thanks for the information on the band invitational. I hadn't heard of that conflict before you mentioned it. That makes perfect sense. Yes, my first grandson turns one on Saturday, 11/1. I can't miss his first Halloween costume. I will definitely have the game on the radio in the background though!!!
Old 10-26-14, 09:21 AM
All District

LaVerdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
From what I've seen, Wayne is the favorite...
That said...Congratulations to Coach Roberts & staff and to the C'ville players for an already outstanding year. To make the transition they have and to be in the position they are given that transition is remarkable. Roberts is as advertised...a dedicated & inspirational coach...period. And these Elk players are to be congratulated for buying in, believing in the CV tradition & not missing a beat.Now to the game...
The positives for the Elks...
The defensive front has been stout. At the point of attack, they are physical & formidable.The LB's, in IMHO have improved throughout the season. Both these units will need to play fast & furious to pressure & contain Wayne's outstanding QB.
C'ville's secondary, once a weakness, has become an asset. Against Wayne, they will need to be aggressive, not preventative. To me, the key to this game will be for C'ville's defense to play faster & more aggressively swarm to the ball when things break down...and they will.
The Elk offense has been consistently improving throughout the year, really adapting to the shotgun spread. Alright I'll say it...Will Vance has simply been sensational. This kid has gone from a pure option QB, and has turned into a first-rate passer. The other positive is the development of the offensive line pass blocking. Though lacking the physical dominance of historical CV run-first lines, this group has really matured, given what's now expected of them.
Finally, kudos to the backfield kids & coaches...These guys "run hard."
Damion Popp actually reminds me of a smaller, slower version of C'ville great Dave Preston. Great instincts, great vision and hits 20-30 lbs. harder than he is. That aside, Ashburn, Anthony, & Crisp have all exhibited similar characteristics. There's a good reason Robert's kept Jermaine Baily on his staff.
What the Elks will have to overcome is a Wayne team who has outstanding team speed, a solid, swarming defense, a great backfield and are very well-coached.
This game will come down to who wants it more & C'ville will need to win that component to prevail... Good luck to both squads & stay healthy for week 11!
Nooks...great post. From what I've read on Yappi, you are an old school, Cville alum who played for Coach Gregg and wrestled. Not a member of the fictitious, alleged Daddy ball group that doesn't exist. Glad to see an intelligent, observant, knowledgeable person actually post that it is possible that there is more than ONE person who knows how to coach kids and coach football!

Did you say the DL is "physical" and "stout"....how can that be since we supposedly don't have "tough" coaches and the "team has become soft" according to some on here???

How can it be Centerville can go from "we don't have the athletes, type of kids that we need at QB to throw it, so we have to just run the Triple option (actually it was the double option)" to we have a first-rate passer....and it's the same kid ????

Do you have any logical explanation as to why over the course of the season the defensive backfield has improved ???

I'm not saying you made these historical comments but certainly it's been said by many of the supposed "old guard". It always blew my mind that so many supposed "football people" never thought someone else may know how to coach football....that only one person and one way was the only route to go.

Wayne the clear favorite on Friday....actually their fans think it will be a running clock in the 2nd half so I really don't know how the Elks are even going to hang on Friday night.
Old 10-26-14, 09:50 AM
All American

Hawk1959 is on a distinguished road
I don't think any of the main Wayne fans are thinking this will go to a running clock at all. there is too much respect between the 2 programs and when they meet, all past Stats go out the window.

Wayne vs. Centerville... Always the Main game for both teams. Here is wishing both teams Health. Week 11 is coming for both teams.

We will carry it on 97.3, WSWO as we always do all Wayne Football games. Pre-game at 6:30 (give or take) and kick off at 7:00

Streaming on the Internet at the following Link....

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/ra...llSign=WSWO-LP

WSWO-LP, SWOPR, Oldies 97.3 and on line at Daytonoldies.org
Old 10-26-14, 11:09 AM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVerdad View Post
Nooks...great post. From what I've read on Yappi, you are an old school, Cville alum who played for Coach Gregg and wrestled. Not a member of the fictitious, alleged Daddy ball group that doesn't exist. Glad to see an intelligent, observant, knowledgeable person actually post that it is possible that there is more than ONE person who knows how to coach kids and coach football!

Did you say the DL is "physical" and "stout"....how can that be since we supposedly don't have "tough" coaches and the "team has become soft" according to some on here???

How can it be Centerville can go from "we don't have the athletes, type of kids that we need at QB to throw it, so we have to just run the Triple option (actually it was the double option)" to we have a first-rate passer....and it's the same kid ????

Do you have any logical explanation as to why over the course of the season the defensive backfield has improved ???

I'm not saying you made these historical comments but certainly it's been said by many of the supposed "old guard". It always blew my mind that so many supposed "football people" never thought someone else may know how to coach football....that only one person and one way was the only route to go.

Wayne the clear favorite on Friday....actually their fans think it will be a running clock in the 2nd half so I really don't know how the Elks are even going to hang on Friday night.
Wayne fans, implies more than one. I have yet to see a "Wayne fan" say that. To the contrary we are just as worried about Centerville as they are of us. Wayne was the favorite last year and I think we all remember how Wayne had to pull it out at the end last season. Anybody that knows anything about this rivalry knows that it will most likely come down to the wire and most times whoever has the ball last. (Hate to say this but if Vance doesn't get hurt in last years game I honestly think Centerville would of won.)