Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-16-18, 10:16 AM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Does Lebron explain his performance in LA so far?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-18, 11:37 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
As a Sixers fan, I'm certainly happy with the strides the team has made the past few years. I've seen them more on TV this year than in the last 10 years combined. The star of the show is Joel Embiid. The young center has had his injury issues, only playing in less than half of last seasons games, but has come back this year with some minutes restrictions and no back to back games to have an all star type season.
Embiid sat Wednesday night's game vs. Miami with ankle soreness. I particularly don't mind this, other than all star weekend is this weekend and I can't help but think the Sixers were encouraged not to play him so he'll be able to play this weekend. I'm completely opposite of this. The Sixer games are much more important than the all star game, and I'd be thrilled if he didn't play this weekend.
The Sixers are good enough to rattle some cages in the playoffs this year, if they make it. They are currently the #7 seed and could move up more if they play well down the stretch. They added Marco Bellanelli last week and with their current roster, if healthy, could push Cleveland, Boston or Toronto in a series. Embiid's health is paramount to this.
Old 02-16-18, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Embiid is an amazing talent for sure. But to be clearer than your stated ""only playing in half of last seasons games", here are the facts.

It is past the halfway point of Embiid's 4th season. He has played fewer than 82 games total due to his fragile legs. I love his talent and watching him play, but counting on him as a corner piece of a franchise is a huge mistake.
Old 02-16-18, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The LeBron effect...
Really? Because quite a few dudes playing around LeBron have ended up getting big contracts (JR, Tristan, Kyrie soon) or extending their careers (too many to list).

IT was exposed. He works well on a team with no other scorers, a ton of good defenders around him and a future HOF coach in his prime. There are no remaining teams like that once Boston traded him
Old 02-16-18, 11:56 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Sixers could then rely on Fultz to take his place because he's supposedly deadly in the paint.
Old 02-16-18, 12:00 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
As a Sixers fan, I'm certainly happy with the strides the team has made the past few years. I've seen them more on TV this year than in the last 10 years combined. The star of the show is Joel Embiid. The young center has had his injury issues, only playing in less than half of last seasons games, but has come back this year with some minutes restrictions and no back to back games to have an all star type season.
Embiid sat Wednesday night's game vs. Miami with ankle soreness. I particularly don't mind this, other than all star weekend is this weekend and I can't help but think the Sixers were encouraged not to play him so he'll be able to play this weekend. I'm completely opposite of this. The Sixer games are much more important than the all star game, and I'd be thrilled if he didn't play this weekend.
The Sixers are good enough to rattle some cages in the playoffs this year, if they make it. They are currently the #7 seed and could move up more if they play well down the stretch. They added Marco Bellanelli last week and with their current roster, if healthy, could push Cleveland, Boston or Toronto in a series. Embiid's health is paramount to this.

When is it time for the 76ers to give up on Fultz?
Old 02-16-18, 12:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Embiid is an amazing talent for sure. But to be clearer than your stated ""only playing in half of last seasons games", here are the facts.

It is past the halfway point of Embiid's 4th season. He has played fewer than 82 games total due to his fragile legs. I love his talent and watching him play, but counting on him as a corner piece of a franchise is a huge mistake.
I don't discredit that at all. I'm really concerned that he can A. make it through an entire season, and B. play in the playoffs, which is the goal. Can he play 30-35 minutes in 2-3 series in the playoffs. His history would make this very bleak. I do think he can be a corner piece, but his minutes and games off will always have to be monitored closely. Hopefully he can continue to get stronger with age and not be so brittle.
Old 02-16-18, 12:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Really? Because quite a few dudes playing around LeBron have ended up getting big contracts (JR, Tristan, Kyrie soon) or extending their careers (too many to list).

IT was exposed. He works well on a team with no other scorers, a ton of good defenders around him and a future HOF coach in his prime. There are no remaining teams like that once Boston traded him
So because the Cavs were crappy defensively, that's IT's fault? I'm amazed at the blindness Cavs fans have. IT was spot on last week when he criticized the team for strugging during adversity. It does not happen often, but what happens when LeBron's teams struggle? He begins to play hero/ iso ball. The more he passes, the better his teams tend to be.

Look, the issues with building around Isisah Thomas was talked about last season when he was in Boston. You can't build your team around a 5'9" guard who can't defend. Kyrie pulled the plug in C-town and the Cavs were very fortunate to get a trading partner for Irving. The main part of that trade is the #1 pick from Brooklyn, not IT or Jae Crowder, although initially, people thought the Cavs could make a run of it.
Old 02-16-18, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
IT went from likely getting a $100 million extension to having to play his way back into the league on a 1 year contract next season
There is no way that Ainge was ever going to make that kind of commitment to IT. He was an exciting regular season seat-filler that they had to hide on defense while they waited for a better option. He succeeded above his mean at Boston due to superior coaching and a complimentary lineup. He peaked in more ways than one.
Old 02-16-18, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Sixers could then rely on Fultz to take his place because he's supposedly deadly in the paint.
Doh!!
Old 02-16-18, 12:41 PM
All Yappi

14Dolt is like a semi-articulate brian1227
Old 02-16-18, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
There is no way that Ainge was ever going to make that kind of commitment to IT. He was an exciting regular season seat-filler that they had to hide on defense while they waited for a better option. He succeeded above his mean at Boston due to superior coaching and a complimentary lineup. He peaked in more ways than one.
No but there are plenty of other dumb GMs out there who need seat fillers
Old 02-16-18, 01:21 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
You're right in that Ainge was too smart for that, but plenty of teams aren't. If he'd stayed in Boston, he'd be a huge free agent name this offseason.
Old 02-16-18, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So because the Cavs were crappy defensively, that's IT's fault?
I most certainly never said that so I'm not sure where you built that from, but regardless you should know that currently IT is the worst defensive player statistically over the past twenty years in the NBA. It's not his fault he's 5'7 but it's not LeBron's fault either
Old 02-16-18, 02:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I most certainly never said that so I'm not sure where you built that from, but regardless you should know that currently IT is the worst defensive player statistically over the past twenty years in the NBA. It's not his fault he's 5'7 but it's not LeBron's fault either
Just so you know, the Cavs were crappy defensively when Kyrie was there, before IT. And no, it's not LeBron's fault because he is far and away their best defender.

But since you bring it up, I'll add to this...what are your thoughts about LeBron from the first of the year until about a week ago? It was arguably the worst stretch of games in his career. Can you name an uber-superstar who clearly stopped playing like LeBron appeared to do so, and does it have any affect on the way he's viewed?
Old 02-16-18, 02:46 PM
Cooling Off

Lebron averaged 25-7-8 over that stretch on 51% shooting.

His 3pt shot was what struggled, shooting only 22% from behind the arc, but not sure how you can attribute that to effort. Seems more like he just went cold and the team around him wasn't strong enough to pick up the slack.
Old 02-16-18, 04:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Lebron averaged 25-7-8 over that stretch on 51% shooting.

His 3pt shot was what struggled, shooting only 22% from behind the arc, but not sure how you can attribute that to effort. Seems more like he just went cold and the team around him wasn't strong enough to pick up the slack.
There was a noticeable drop in his effort though, and I'm pretty sure his plus/ minus was one of the worst in the NBA during that time frame. Whatever that's worth. And this isn't my eyeball test either, most tv/ radio analysts were hammering him for quitting, especially in national games vs. Rockets / Thunder.

https://clutchpoints.com/cavs-news-l...of-his-career/
Old 02-16-18, 04:11 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
There was a noticeable drop in his effort though
Numbers say otherwise. Sorry it doesn't fit your narrative.
Old 02-16-18, 04:41 PM
All District

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
I love Lebron but it was obvious he got frustrated with style of play (IT) and Hue's rotations. Lebron can be very passive-aggressive at times as his history shows. Once he realized that this team was not suited to win the East he reduced his effort a bit at both ends to allow the weaknesses of this team to show blatantly to management. He refused to take over games in the 4th Q and a few games barely shot in 4th. After IT took a few bad shots, LeBron would give him the ball and trot to the corner basically saying go win the game you little midget. He wanted to make sure that IT was moved at the deadline and I think he was surprised at all the good things that Altman was able to do in addition to moving IT. I am not saying Lebron should have chosen this course of action but it was pretty obvious when even his buddy Brian Windhorst was questioning his effort a few times. He still put up decent numbers but his plus/minus was awful for January.
Old 02-16-18, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

That's what I saw.

Given his first go-around with the Cavs, I kind of understand his desire to keep the pressure on Gilbert to get the best team he can.
Old 02-16-18, 04:56 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Hue coaches the Cavs ... there is their problem!
Old 02-16-18, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

Whatever LeBron did differently in January, the Cavs future looks a whole lot brighter now, so bravo to him
Old 02-19-18, 05:29 AM
All Yappi

Any comments on Pharrel's Thunder Thighs girls, stomping their feet to the drum beats as they opened his halftime show ?
Old 02-19-18, 05:52 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just so you know, the Cavs were crappy defensively when Kyrie was there, before IT. And no, it's not LeBron's fault because he is far and away their best defender.

But since you bring it up, I'll add to this...what are your thoughts about LeBron from the first of the year until about a week ago? It was arguably the worst stretch of games in his career. Can you name an uber-superstar who clearly stopped playing like LeBron appeared to do so, and does it have any affect on the way he's viewed?
Yes, the Cavs were a crappy defense with Kyrie ... they were even worse with the human turnstile IT ... at least Kyrie had the ability to turn it on and play decent defense at important times ... just enough to win games ... IT did not have the ability to turn on ... he was bad ALL the time on defense ... that was the difference.
Old 02-19-18, 07:39 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Any comments on Pharrel's Thunder Thighs girls, stomping their feet to the drum beats as they opened his halftime show ?
Between the butchering of the National Anthem and that horrid halftime show, that will go down in history as one of the absolute worst musical performances in history.

(Que the H2dad haters to post how much they loved the Anthem and halftime show)
Old 02-19-18, 07:56 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Between the butchering of the National Anthem and that horrid halftime show, that will go down in history as one of the absolute worst musical performances in history.

The Anthem was probably the worst sung anthem of all time. Didn't watch any of the All Star weekend events though, so no comment on the show.
Old 02-19-18, 09:20 AM
All World

Quote:
When is it time for the 76ers to give up on Fultz?
Huh??? Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons didn't play a game in their first seasons??? This isn't fantasy football Neo, can't just plug and play. He's the Sixers for a few years at minimum.
Old 02-19-18, 09:29 AM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Haters? I think you just get called our more frequently than most because you post some pretty dumb stuff. In this case you're spot-on, WTF was Fergie thinking? Embarrassing for her TBH.
Old 02-19-18, 09:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
The Anthem was probably the worst sung anthem of all time. Didn't watch any of the All Star weekend events though, so no comment on the show.
The NBA is all about the trendy Hollywood types, so if you hire Fergie to do the Anthem, you get what you get. We are moving closer and closer to no having Anthems sung at events anymore.

I watched just a little of the end of the game, and some of the 3 point shootout. The dunk contest is tired, needs to go away. The best dunkers don't perform due to possibly of injury, and the dunks in games are about as good as anything they can come up with.
Old 02-19-18, 11:14 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Huh??? Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons didn't play a game in their first seasons??? This isn't fantasy football Neo, can't just plug and play. He's the Sixers for a few years at minimum.
He's mentally broken in a way those 2 never were. Shooting form looks like a middle school girl. No confidence.

The funny thing is, they traded from #3 to #1 for Fultz, when they could have jsut stayed at #3 and taken Tatum, the far superior player.

Huge misfire by the Philly front office. Imagine how good this team would look with Tatum and an extra 1st rd pick rather than the bust that is Fultz?