Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-18-18, 06:07 PM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Are wrestlers improving in college?

I'm fairly certain, this will cause a short circuit with some readers, but this is what I'm seeing... There are an overwhelming number of wrestlers that don't look as good their 3rd, 4th or 5th year, as they did their first or second year. It's simply an observation, but I'm talking about a lot of top notch guys. Before I get going, I'm not trying to attack anyone. I'm playing devils advocate with what I'm seeing.

Now let me back up a bit and tell you what I'm seeing specifically...

More and more freshman and sophomore national finalists. A number of the big dogs of a couple of years ago are being caught up with quickly. There are plenty of examples across the board... however, looking just at Ohio, it's tough not to see how much talent and potential a number of the buckeyes had coming through the door. BoJo was one of the best I had ever seen in middle school and high school, Tomasello was a finalist right out of the gate, and Snyder was other worldly coming out of high school. Fast forward and nobody can argue they all had magnificent careers, but are they really wrestling better today than years past? I would argue No.

BoJo erupted on the seen and challenged for title as a freshman, NATO won as a freshman never to return to the big stage, and while Snyder was the best in the country the last three years, he was beat this season and scored on multiple times at NCAA's. AGAIN, this is not taking shots at them. I'm using them as an example because they are wrestlers and names we all know very well. They all had amazing careers any one of us could only dream of. I looking at another side of it. Years ago, starting at the level of these guys (as freshman) usually meant ending at a level so dominant that no other even competes.

In a sport that most would argue is dying, how can this b happening? I have three thoughts... Again, playing Devils Advocate.

Scenario 1:
College coaches are not as good as everyone thinks they are. We give them a lot of credit, but most are basically recruiting talent and then running open mats for practice. Very little drilling or development is going on. So the development becomes stagnant. Not that wrestlers don't learn. You have to learn to survive in college especially hand fighting and position, but technique development becomes limited.

or

Senario 2:
Wrestlers just keep getting better and better at a younger age and are able to compete with college kids much quicker. A lot of this has to do with younger starting ages, and the growth of top notch tournaments for younger age groups. But how in a dying sport is this really feasible. Is it because we become so much more focused. I competed in several sports in high school, are most selecting only one now?

or

Senario 3
The sport needs to be adjusted earlier and especially at the college level to limit the wear and tear on the body. The grind and the rules are such that competitors bodies are breaking down earlier than they once did. Not sure if this is the evolutionary demands of the sport or the younger starting age. But knees and shoulders are going left and right.

Thoughts?

Coach Root
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-18, 06:12 PM
All District

nkawtg135 is on a distinguished road
Dean Heil, IMAR, Zeke Moisey, and Tsirtis. All were very good this year but we’re better 3 -4 years ago. The Penn State guys have al improved though.
Old 03-18-18, 06:18 PM
Junior Varsity

Mr. Red is on a distinguished road
I think scenario 2 is spot on. Personally, these young men impress me with the high caliber of technique they have somewhat mastered at a young age. It is definitely fun to watch.

One other thing to consider is that there are a number of other things to consider why some talent does not develop like we anticipate. For example, Bojo having father duties definitely takes away from the commitment aspect. I would slightly argue your case about Snyder. His freshman year was incredible, but he was beaten by Gadsden who he TF at the world trials. Plus giving up as much weight as he does, there is no wonder he gave up some point. Iíd say he has developed at an astronomical pace.

Lastly, having video of opponents and strategies is incredibly helpful. NCAA champions have more video analysis of them than any time in history.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-18, 06:27 PM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
My initial thinking is exactly the last remark. The more you see someoneís tendencies the more likely you are to exploit them. And college coaches are so good, they exploit them to a very high degree.

Old 03-18-18, 06:32 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
I think it has to do with wear and tear

on the body after so many years. Also its hard to keep that hunger to keep improving and keep staying with the grind. Does anyone know the stats for how many 5th year all americans in the past 10 years its not as much as you would think.
Old 03-18-18, 06:45 PM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
To say Snyder hasn’t improved is ludicrous. He gave up takedowns as a freshman at 197. Wrestling and beating guys who consistently outweigh you by 40-60 pounds takes a phenomenal amount of talent. While you picked three OSU guys I notice you left out Zain. He wasn’t terribly impressive this weekend and I noticed him giving up takedowns this year as well.

My take, which has been debated for years here, is the constant holding back of these kids. By the time they get to college most have wrestled two years longer. That’s two more years of wear and tear on the body.
Old 03-18-18, 06:52 PM
All Ohio

This is forum

for conversation I think coach root is making some great points. No reason to take it personal.
Old 03-18-18, 06:55 PM
All Ohio

spencer lee

game plan was just amazing he dominated Suriano i was truly shocked.
Old 03-18-18, 06:55 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
I will post something later but I do not agree with you Coach Root. Maybe let the kids catch snakes and frogs, learn how to fish, hunt and have some fun before 7th grade. My kids didn't start wrestling until jr high and both had great high school careers by my standards and have grown up to be great men and pillars of there communities. Fixing there cars to go to prom sometimes was more important than wrestling practice and I did not . If anything less than a national, state, district or sectional championship is the final grade than I really think we need to is this really why do we wrestle!! Most wrestlers end their careers at sectionals in high school. Are the kids that advance to districts that much so special? or from district to state.

Good luck in life to all wrestlers!!
Old 03-18-18, 06:58 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkawtg135 View Post
Dean Heil, IMAR, Zeke Moisey, and Tsirtis. All were very good this year but weíre better 3 -4 years ago. The Penn State guys have al improved though.
What about Matt McCutcheon and Frank Molinaro?
Old 03-18-18, 07:04 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
I want to see where they are now. Life does go on after wrestling.
Old 03-18-18, 07:06 PM
All American

Quote:
To say Snyder hasnít improved is ludicrous. He gave up takedowns as a freshman at 197. Wrestling and beating guys who consistently outweigh you by 40-60 pounds takes a phenomenal amount of talent. While you picked three OSU guys I notice you left out Zain. He wasnít terribly impressive this weekend and I noticed him giving up takedowns this year as well.

My take, which has been debated for years here, is the constant holding back of these kids. By the time they get to college most have wrestled two years longer. Thatís two more years of wear and tear on the body.
Easy turbo... I used Ohio State guys as an example since we all know and follow the Ohio State guys more regularly (being from Ohio). I wasn't attacking them. I think they are all phenomenal wrestlers. Snyder may go down as the best ever. But you can believe what you want... the Snyder I watched this weekend, was not as dominant as the Snyder I saw as a sophomore or even a freshman when he lost in the finals. The freshman got thrown, but was more impressive... just my thoughts.

You are welcome to use Zain as another example. I would agree that he looked tight in the finals. Tough to argue that he lost a step though, since he's at like 90%+ bonus rate, and likely Hodge winner. I can agree that there are a ton of guys across the board that seem to lose a step later in their college career. Again, it wasn't directed at Ohio State guys. It was an observation about our sport.

Coach Root
Old 03-18-18, 07:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Matt McCutcheon lost his spot after a major injury. This would potentially fall under the senario 3 section of wear and tear... or maybe it's just bad luck... or it could easily fall under senario 2 where a younger Cassar was able to beat him in the wrestle off.

I think it would be tough to argue that Frank Molinaro somehow failed. He improved each year and was undefeated as a senior winning an NCAA title. And I believe beat Logan to make an Olympic team.

You seem to want to bring Penn State into this which is fine, but I think you're missing the discussion point. I'm talking about the sport as a whole, while you are hyper focused on the individuals used as an example. Penn State surely has plenty that fall into the category of falling off as they age. They just don't seem to be as present in the Cael era.

Coach Root
Old 03-18-18, 07:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
Matt McCutcheon lost his spot after a major injury. This would potentially fall under the senario 3 section of wear and tear... or maybe it's just bad luck... or it could easily fall under senario 2 where a younger Cassar was able to beat him in the wrestle off.

I think it would be tough to argue that Frank Molinaro somehow failed. He improved each year and was undefeated as a senior winning an NCAA title. And I believe beat Logan to make an Olympic team.

You seem to want to bring Penn State into this which is fine, but I think you're missing the discussion point. I'm talking about the sport as a whole, while you are hyper focused on the individuals used as an example. Penn State surely has plenty that fall into the category of falling off as they age. They just don't seem to be as present in the Cael era.

Coach Root
And you missed my take on it. What about all the hold backs?
Old 03-18-18, 07:42 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
You seem to want to bring Penn State into this which is fine, but I think you're missing the discussion point. I'm talking about the sport as a whole, while you are hyper focused on the individuals used as an example. Coach Root
Absolutely.
Old 03-18-18, 07:43 PM
All Region

keato is on a distinguished road
Iíll let you know in a year!!!
Old 03-18-18, 07:50 PM
All Region

keato is on a distinguished road
I will however throw this out there, how many times did you see kids choose neutral down a point or tied??? This tells me they don’t trust themselves to get a point from the bottom position. Please don’t come back with the guy riding is a beast and nobody scores from the bottom when he’s riding!!!
Old 03-18-18, 07:52 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Sure some kids regress but the vast majority improve. Kyle Snyder is obviously better but is he as dominant? No. Elite wrestlers entering college are way more prepared AND the better you are, increments of improvement are smaller. Coon is much better than he was 2 years ago because he had much more room for improvement. There comes a point where every human being butts up against their potential. That does not mean they are getting poor coaching.
Old 03-18-18, 07:59 PM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Well I'll tell ya who has improved just a smidge, how about my man Tariq Wilson? Just absolutely wrecked Seth Gross on his feet. 5 TDs to 0 in regulation I believe? Myles Amine from Michigan is another one that just keeps improving. Also lol on the stall calls versus Valencia up 4-2 in the semi's.
Old 03-18-18, 08:06 PM
All American

I think there is places where the coaches are really developing kids. NC State seems to have that type of coaching staff. Tariq was on fire.

Coach Root
Old 03-18-18, 08:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by keato View Post
I will however throw this out there, how many times did you see kids choose neutral down a point or tied??? This tells me they donít trust themselves to get a point from the bottom position. Please donít come back with the guy riding is a beast and nobody scores from the bottom when heís riding!!!
Why do people think escaping is an ďeasy pointĒ and that you are deficient if you donít take bottom? I can score a riding time point and 4 point nearfall from top vs 1 by choosing bottom. When are people gonna realize that top wrestling is getting much better because the reward for being good is so much greater. Hint: get really good on top and take that position or neutral every time. The top NCCA wrestlers are typically best on their feet and on top. To hell with bottom. The auto bottom mentality is for old timers.
Old 03-18-18, 08:15 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
There comes a point where every human being butts up against their potential. That does not mean they are getting poor coaching.
Old 03-18-18, 08:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Why do people think escaping is an ďeasy pointĒ and that you are deficient if you donít take bottom? I can score a riding time point and 4 point nearfall from top vs 1 by choosing bottom. When are people gonna realize that top wrestling is getting much better because the reward for being good is so much greater. Hint: get really good on top and take that position or neutral every time. The top NCCA wrestlers are typically best on their feet and on top. To hell with bottom. The auto bottom mentality is for old timers.
Good points.
Old 03-18-18, 08:35 PM
All District

graceunder is on a distinguished road
Coach you are 100 percent spot on. I will be a little harsher then you on this thread. Anyone who wants to be critical please direct your criticism to me and not coach Root. This is his thread but this post is not his it is mine. I believe the thread is correct but I am going to be critical of the Ohio State Wrestling program which Coach Root never was.

I love Ohio State Football and Wrestling. I want them to succeed. Also I am very proud of the year they had. Penn State is a Dynasty and placing second to them by less than ten points is highly commendable.

However, is Bo Jordan better at riding now then 3 or 4 years ago. No. Why? I am uncertain. But I do not see the Buckeyes getting better at riding. In fact it is absolutely predictable that when Ohio State is going to be on top they are going to struggle to ride.

I hate to think this but I wonder if Bo Jordan went to Penn State or Iowa if that would be different. I am glad he was a Buckeye but my point is I do not believe the coaching staff helped him improve and if I am good at riding Ohio State may not be the place for me.

Captain America is better but is he better because of being a Buckeye or is he better because he is working with Olympic wrestlers.

McKenna is good at riding but he has not been a Buckeye long enough to lose that skill.

I will finish by simple saying if you are a Buckeye fan and you want to see Ohio State Wrestling improve something needs to change.

Coach Root sees it, I also see it ...Tom Ryan is not taking the excellent talent he is given and making it better. Maybe Coach Jordan from Graham could.

But Ohio State Wrestlers are not as complete when they leave as when they came into the program. To me that is a coaching concern. A major concern.
Old 03-18-18, 08:42 PM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Wrestling graham every year I can tell you that you will be on your feet the whole match.

Old 03-18-18, 08:43 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post

Coach Root sees it, I also see it ...Tom Ryan is not taking the excellent talent he is given and making it better. Maybe Coach Jordan from Graham could.
With all do respect to Micah and Bo, who I think are fine young men, you think Jeff Jordan is the answer to the Buckeyes' perceived referee's position "woes" when his sons were arguably the weakest mat wrestlers on this year's team? Preposterous.
Old 03-18-18, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Top/bottom is an epidemic at Ohio State and has been through two coaching staffs. It cost them the national title this weekend.

As far as Coach Root's initial post, I'm going to say it's a combination of all three.
Old 03-18-18, 09:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Top/bottom is an epidemic at Ohio State and has been through two coaching staffs. It cost them the national title this weekend.

As far as Coach Root's initial post, I'm going to say it's a combination of all three.
I donít see that conclusion at all. I grant that the Jordanís are not good bottom wrestlers but outside of them, who has huge deficinacies on the mat? It is tiresome to keep hearing people say stuff like nato is not good on bottom because Lee rode him and Lizak scored from top. Of course they did. They are elite from that position. Natoís top game was the best itís been this year. Pletchers mat wrestling is decent. McKennas is excellent. Hayes is excellent. Campbell is good on top. Myles is good in all positions. Moore can get better on top but is very good underneath. They lost the national title on Friday night when they lost the 1st four semis and none of those losses were because of mat wrestling. Even Michah did not lose because of his mat wrestling. Nolf is just way better period.
Old 03-18-18, 09:21 PM
All District

nkawtg135 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post
Coach you are 100 percent spot on. I will be a little harsher then you on this thread. Anyone who wants to be critical please direct your criticism to me and not coach Root. This is his thread but this post is not his it is mine. I believe the thread is correct but I am going to be critical of the Ohio State Wrestling program which Coach Root never was.

I love Ohio State Football and Wrestling. I want them to succeed. Also I am very proud of the year they had. Penn State is a Dynasty and placing second to them by less than ten points is highly commendable.

However, is Bo Jordan better at riding now then 3 or 4 years ago. No. Why? I am uncertain. But I do not see the Buckeyes getting better at riding. In fact it is absolutely predictable that when Ohio State is going to be on top they are going to struggle to ride.

I hate to think this but I wonder if Bo Jordan went to Penn State or Iowa if that would be different. I am glad he was a Buckeye but my point is I do not believe the coaching staff helped him improve and if I am good at riding Ohio State may not be the place for me.

Captain America is better but is he better because of being a Buckeye or is he better because he is working with Olympic wrestlers.

McKenna is good at riding but he has not been a Buckeye long enough to lose that skill.

I will finish by simple saying if you are a Buckeye fan and you want to see Ohio State Wrestling improve something needs to change.

But Ohio State Wrestlers are not as complete when they leave as when they came into the program. To me that is a coaching concern. A major concern.
Quite possibly the dumbest thing on the internet today. Bucks has 8 All Americans and you say they need to change!??

Cael got David Taylor and Ed Ruth at the same time. After they graduated he somehow go Nolf, Joseph, Hall, and Nickal. Thereís no way PSU remains that fortunate.
Old 03-18-18, 09:25 PM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Coach Root for Ohio State coach 2018-19.