Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Pick the winner of this game
McKinley (9-2) 25 37.88%
Mentor (10-1) 41 62.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-18, 06:04 AM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I never said you weren't a big boy. I wouldn't be wanting to schedule you if you weren't! My argument is these games should be played

You are an embarrassment to McKinley. See how easy that attack is ? You guys scheduling two D4 teams and avoiding any of the top Region 1 teams now is more embarrassing. But you'll schedule is when we are a punching bag ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are now in D1R1. McKinley doesn't need to play you or anyone else in R1. If they're good enough, we'll see them in the playoffs. McKinley has 8-9 home and away games, as AD Malone would tell you. McKinley plays in the state of the art Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. That's partly why the demand for a home game. We don't want years of only 4- 5 home games.
If McKinley offered home games only, too bad. McKinley doesnt owe you anything and could care less what you think about the schedule. Sam gave you the # for the AD, so either grow a pair and ask him yourself or shut up. You act like an entitled little brat.
Old 11-05-18, 06:05 AM
All District

ImpracticalJoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
We were a freak accident away from another state championship,. The year before we went 10-0, were ranked 2nd, beat state runners up Massillon 38-8, and were upset by the Tigers in the playoffs. It's one reason I don't like seeing McKinley play anyone twice. If you beat them the first time, you can be overconfident and lose the second time. If you lose the first time, you can lose your seeding position. So only 12 yrs back, we came close to back-to- back state championships. Every single team in Ohio would be a drop off compared to the '97 McKinley team. The 05 and 06 teams were similar to the '98 State Champion.
Whatever you are smoking is pretty powerful stuff
Old 11-05-18, 06:10 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
McKMeN V or McKinley vs Mentor #5

Quote:
We are now in D1R1. McKinley doesn't need to play you or anyone else in R1. If they're good enough, we'll see them in the playoffs. McKinley has 8-9 home and away games, as AD Malone would tell you. McKinley plays in the state of the art Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. That's partly why the demand for a home game. We don't want years of only 4- 5 home games.
If McKinley offered home games only, too bad. McKinley doesnt owe you anything and could care less what you think about the schedule. Sam gave you the # for the AD, so either grow a pair and ask him yourself or shut up. You act like an entitled little brat.

More name calling from the historian It doesn't add much. Too bad if you're upset. The bottom line is you'll schedule us when we suck but avoid us now. "History " shows that

Again a fan calling an AD does nothing when your agenda is to avoid the current region 1 top teams. You've done it many years too so the region 1 excuse doesn't fly. It's a dumb one any ways but your move there was recent

Calling someone else an entitled brat while in the same post saying it's a McKinley birthright to get 6-7 home games a year is laughable too. That's a joke to think a D1 top team should schedule you guys where you only play in Canton. That's a way for your AD to say no while not admitting he wants no part of playing that team now

Old 11-05-18, 06:16 AM
All District

ImpracticalJoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Between the Massiloons and Iggy fans trolling with off topic trash - maybe McK-Mentor game could be discussed?
You of all people complaining about "off topic trash". That is just freaking hilarious.

You want to talk about the ACTUAL GAME right?

Why don't you call out JJ and MG2002 for their p*ssing match about scheduling? That certainly doesn't qualify as discussing the ACTUAL GAME.

My take on the ACTUAL GAME is that McK will need some big plays, whether they come offensively, special teams, or turnovers defensively. Not sure they can grind it out consistently against Mentor. They will also need to limit their mistakes - penalties, turnovers, etc. If they can do those things I think it can be a good game - if not then Mentor should roll.

Just my two cents on the ACTUAL GAME
Old 11-05-18, 06:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Once again , Mentor has been one of the best D1 programs over the last 15 plus years. We will never be McKinley or Massillon with overall history. That's mostly because we weren't lucky enough to be great during the poll era where reputation rather than play on the field were rewarded by the media. Titles were passed among 4-5 teams like candy and no way would any of those teams won in all those poll years. They'd be lucky to win half

But I never once argued to have more history. I'd just never live off past years in any sport

Sports is all about tradition, son. That's why they keep records. If you don't feel you have a tradition to match ours, don't knock our fans for being proud of their's. It's been well earned over 120 years. If you are disrespectful in your postings, they will remind you
Just as real Yankee fans would in baseball. Your luck has nothing to do with 30 years of mediocrity. Coaches chosen by your district at the time did.
Old 11-05-18, 06:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
More name calling from the historian It doesn't add much. Too bad if you're upset. The bottom line is you'll schedule us when we suck but avoid us now. "History " shows that

Again a fan calling an AD does nothing when your agenda is to avoid the current region 1 top teams. You've done it many years too so the region 1 excuse doesn't fly. It's a dumb one any ways but your move there was recent

Calling someone else an entitled brat while in the same post saying it's a McKinley birthright to get 6-7 home games a year is laughable too. That's a joke to think a D1 top team should schedule you guys where you only play in Canton. That's a way for your AD to say no while not admitting he wants no part of playing that team now

Grow a pair, call the AD and tell him why you hink he's an entitled brat, then get back to me. (Kidding)Lol! I don't make the schedules.

Last edited by JJBulldog; 11-05-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 06:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sports is all about tradition, son. That's why they keep records. If you don't feel you have a tradition to match ours, don't knock our fans for being proud of their's. It's been well earned over 120 years. If you are disrespectful in your postings, they will remind you

Just as real Yankee fans would in baseball. Your luck has nothing to do with 30 years of mediocrity. Coaches chosen by your district at the time did.

You're talking about 2 different things. There is a big difference between acknowledging and celebrating history vs living off it whenever you lose or are challenged

I never said Mentor had a competing history. I would never live off history in any sport including in baseball where I'm a true Yankees fan. The bad part of those fanbases are those that use history as a crutch whenever they are challenged or lose

Old 11-05-18, 06:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Grow a pair, call the AD and tell him you hink he's an entitled brat, then get back to me. Lol! I don't make the schedules.

I never said your AD was an entitled brat. I was pointing out the irony in your post calling me that when you are in fact the one displaying those qualities while living on your past in present times

Old 11-05-18, 06:44 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
And the best part is you cant make a choice to avoid a team in the playoffs. How did those matchups go? Of all people criticizing anyone else for not playing certain teams, massillon is probably not the optimal one to criticize others.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'll try to slow down for you. I don't care who they play. I've already said Massillon was stupid for scheduling Ignatius all those years. I only called him out because he said an hour was too far away for a home and home. That's all I said. Jesus are you people brain dead or what?
Old 11-05-18, 06:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You're talking about 2 different things. There is a big difference between acknowledging and celebrating history vs living off it whenever you lose or are challenged

I never said Mentor had a competing history. I would never live off history in any sport including in baseball where I'm a true Yankees fan. The bad part of those fanbases are those that use history as a crutch whenever they are challenged or lose

You've repeated the same tired paranoia about our fan base over and over and over again. The only thing I can suggest is that you see a doctor, because extreme, unwarranted paranoia could seriously mean something is happening within you that might need checking out. Sorry about your condition and best of luck in getting it treated. :
Old 11-05-18, 06:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Lol considering massillon got waxed by them twice and went running for the hills. So now they resort to scoring 100 on a joe shmo from PA.
I'll say it again since you're obviously as brain dead as the others. My only point was to mention that he said an hour was too far to drive for a home and home. I don't care if he would have been talking about the worst team in division one. Some of you really should learn some reading comprehension. Now, back to the game. I think McKinley is going to surprise some people this weekend. I'm not sure they can win but they will make it a game.
Old 11-05-18, 06:49 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
I'll try to slow down for you. I don't care who they play. I've already said Massillon was stupid for scheduling Ignatius all those years. I only called him out because he said an hour was too far away for a home and home. That's all I said. Jesus are you people brain dead or what?
This is a McKinley-Mentor thtead. Take your beef with Wildcat over to your yearling thread where it likely doesn't belong, either.
Old 11-05-18, 07:01 AM
All World

unclebob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0U812 View Post
My cousin and I try to take in a game or 2 every week anywhere in the state. We donít really have a favorite. We just like to watch good HS football. This is a weird year for D1. Edís and Ignatius are down by their standards. Must of had a couple down recruiting classes. The big side of the GCL is soft as well. Colerain is good but nowhere near a world beater like 04í. The 2 best teams Iíve seen will face each other in the D2 semis when Hoban plays TCC. The TCC defense is lights out. Iíve never seen high school kids fly to the ball like that. A mini version of bama. Hoban is like a machine. We watched McKinley/Massillon and were impressed by both teams. The atmosphere at that game is unparalleled. Mentor is big, McKinley is fast. Massillon is big also and the bulldogs gave them all they could handle. That being said, Menter is 2 touchdowns better than Massillon. Itís high school football and anything can happen, but McKinley will have to play mistake free to keep it close.
Great analysis ..thanks.
Old 11-05-18, 07:17 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They scheduled us in the 90s when we sucked. But they won't even entertain the thought right now

These type of games should be scheduled. Mentor against big publics who are competent programs. Instead teams like McKinley avoid us to play D4 schools and we are stuck with playing 2 junior colleges back to back
So, you think McKinley should schedule Mentor so that Mentor wouldn't have to play St. Edward and St. Ignatius? Mentor chooses to schedule St. Ignatius and St. Edward. Don't want to play them....don't blame McKinley, just schedule someone else.

About the game, it's evident that Mentor is the favored team. I'm glad the favored team doesn't always win. Best of luck to both teams!
Old 11-05-18, 07:23 AM
All World

Quote:
This is a McKinley-Mentor thtead. Take your beef with Wildcat over to your yearling thread where it likely doesn't belong, either.
I have no beef. All I'm doing is calling out your idiotic statement ON THIS THREAD about an hour away being too far to play a team on a home and home basis. Try to keep up Sparky.
Old 11-05-18, 07:33 AM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
I'll say it again since you're obviously as brain dead as the others. My only point was to mention that he said an hour was too far to drive for a home and home. I don't care if he would have been talking about the worst team in division one. Some of you really should learn some reading comprehension. Now, back to the game. I think McKinley is going to surprise some people this weekend. I'm not sure they can win but they will make it a game.
Lol that just wasnít your point. You also called McKinley soft for not playing them. Which obviously you guys want no part of them or youíd still be playing them. You threw shade at the Fed too in your statement lol. That just wasnít your point. Donít get sensitive when you get called on your bull.
Old 11-05-18, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
So, you think McKinley should schedule Mentor so that Mentor wouldn't have to play St. Edward and St. Ignatius? Mentor chooses to schedule St. Ignatius and St. Edward. Don't want to play them....don't blame McKinley, just schedule someone else.

About the game, it's evident that Mentor is the favored team. I'm glad the favored team doesn't always win. Best of luck to both teams!

Mentor schedules Ignatius by choice. They play Eds because programs like McKinley avoid them now. So McKinley is part of the blame for that along with some other big school publics who are competent to good programs

They'll play us when we are down. They won't schedule us now

Old 11-05-18, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Who are Canton McKinley's top players to watch and current or potential D1 recruits ? Names and numbers please to watch from the stands

Old 11-05-18, 08:41 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Lol that just wasnít your point. You also called McKinley soft for not playing them. Which obviously you guys want no part of them or youíd still be playing them. You threw shade at the Fed too in your statement lol. That just wasnít your point. Donít get sensitive when you get called on your bull.
No dip-s**t I did not. I called them soft for not wanting to drive an hour. When you get out of middle school take a reading comprehension course and then go re-read my post. What a mental minion.
Old 11-05-18, 09:26 AM
All District

AkronNative
Quote:
Who are Canton McKinley's top players to watch and current or potential D1 recruits ? Names and numbers please to watch from the stands

I appreciate this post since its actually one about the game. Mck players to watch are Khyree Woody(1000 yd receiver) who is now the schools single season leader in receiving yards and single game record holder. Jalen Ross is also a threat at receiver and although not as explosive as Woody, still posesses gamebreaking speed and athleticism. Doesnt hurt to to have good size at 6'2 195 as well. Alijah Curtis at QB is a leader. Short at only 5'10 but is shifty and has a strong arm. He is threatening to break back to back state champion Ben Mcdaniels school single season passing yards record. The ground game is lead by Lameir Garrett. He is a 1000 yd rusher with good but not elite speed and a strong runner and tough kid. They also have a 6'6 TE which im not sure why he doesnt get more looks. The coaches son is also a good athlete who lines up at receiver and is the back up at QB.

On defense they are very young. They start alot of sophmores. IMO their best defensive player was Willie Mitchell the middle LB and for whatever personal issues he is having is no longer on the team it seems. No real stars on the D, just a bunch of solid young kids. They have given up big plays but have also had stints of playing stout D. Consistancy is key for this unit.

Hope this helps and hopefully brings some civil talks about the game to this thread.
Old 11-05-18, 10:12 AM
All District

AkronNative
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronNative View Post
I appreciate this post since its actually one about the game. Mck players to watch are Khyree Woody(1000 yd receiver) who is now the schools single season leader in receiving yards and single game record holder. Jalen Ross is also a threat at receiver and although not as explosive as Woody, still posesses gamebreaking speed and athleticism. Doesnt hurt to to have good size at 6'2 195 as well. Alijah Curtis at QB is a leader. Short at only 5'10 but is shifty and has a strong arm. He is threatening to break back to back state champion Ben Mcdaniels school single season passing yards record. The ground game is lead by Lameir Garrett. He is a 1000 yd rusher with good but not elite speed and a strong runner and tough kid. They also have a 6'6 TE which im not sure why he doesnt get more looks. The coaches son is also a good athlete who lines up at receiver and is the back up at QB.

On defense they are very young. They start alot of sophmores. IMO their best defensive player was Willie Mitchell the middle LB and for whatever personal issues he is having is no longer on the team it seems. No real stars on the D, just a bunch of solid young kids. They have given up big plays but have also had stints of playing stout D. Consistancy is key for this unit.

Hope this helps and hopefully brings some civil talks about the game to this thread.
Also forgot to mention brothers Chris and Tevon Hunter. Tevon playes exclusively RB/WR. Smaller but wirery and shifty. Chris plays RB and CB. He missed most of the year due to issues I am unaware of. He started in preseason at RB but missed the first 7 or 8 games and since returning has only played CB sparingly. Aggressive kid with great speed
Old 11-05-18, 10:53 AM
All Yappi

McKMeN V or McKinley vs Mentor #5

What are the numbers and who are the D1 college recruits. Which colleges?

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 11-05-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 11:28 AM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:

McKinley roster:

https://cantonmckinley.com/sports/fo...varsity/roster
Old 11-05-18, 11:46 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpracticalJoker View Post
You of all people complaining about "off topic trash". That is just freaking hilarious.

You want to talk about the ACTUAL GAME right?

Why don't you call out JJ and MG2002 for their p*ssing match about scheduling? That certainly doesn't qualify as discussing the ACTUAL GAME.

My take on the ACTUAL GAME is that McK will need some big plays, whether they come offensively, special teams, or turnovers defensively. Not sure they can grind it out consistently against Mentor. They will also need to limit their mistakes - penalties, turnovers, etc. If they can do those things I think it can be a good game - if not then Mentor should roll.

Just my two cents on the ACTUAL GAME
I'm with you. If those others want to argue about things other than the actual game, they should start a new thread called " McKinley vs Mentor non game related arguing thread". I came on here to really write about the game and get others take about the GAME! As far as the game goes, McKinley would need to play the PERFECT game, or get many breaks and or huge plays, and/or Mentor would have to play they're worst game of the year and truly lay an egg.
Old 11-05-18, 11:59 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronNative View Post

Since I have not seen McKinley play, I did listen to their game with Massillon on the radio, it seems like they have a lot of talent, but just don't put it all together on a consistent basis. That's a shame because region 1 gets old at playoff time when it is mostly the big 3 (Eds, Ignatius, and Mentor). It would be nice to have McKinley play to the level of their talent, and consistency hang with the big 3 and make it the big 4 every year. Euclid and Solon are not what I would call contenders to win R1. I appreciate your input regarding McKinley. Thanks!
Old 11-05-18, 12:24 PM
All American

JoeCool is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I dont believe anyone outside of Curtis who is going to West Point.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-18, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Remember the 2004 state semi-final game.

McKinley was a HUGE underdog.
Old 11-05-18, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Since I have not seen McKinley play, I did listen to their game with Massillon on the radio, it seems like they have a lot of talent, but just don't put it all together on a consistent basis. That's a shame because region 1 gets old at playoff time when it is mostly the big 3 (Eds, Ignatius, and Mentor). It would be nice to have McKinley play to the level of their talent, and consistency hang with the big 3 and make it the big 4 every year. Euclid and Solon are not what I would call contenders to win R1. I appreciate your input regarding McKinley. Thanks!
Their biggest issue is stopping the run. Gave up huge chunks in the 2 losses. I don't know if Mentor has a power run game but that would be my plan. The secondary is above average. On offense I would agree with you - they run hot and cold.
Old 11-05-18, 02:58 PM
All District

spyros1950 is on a distinguished road
I am looking at the weather as a key factor for the game on Friday night. At the moment, the forecast calls for a high of 43 degrees with RAIN early in the day. McKinley's win chances increase with DRY weather as our passing attack is our strong point. A lot depends on our QB Curtis to have a good night.

Good luck to all... Go Pups!... Go Tigers!... sam McK'68
Old 11-05-18, 04:07 PM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
If there is anything lacking in Mentor's defense it's stopping a good passing game. So if that is your strength you should be able to take advantage. We have been pretty lights out against the run but if you look at the Ed's game we gave up a bunch of passing yards. We have been susceptible to the long bomb type play as our db's don't seem to be drilled in turning around before the ball gets there. With that said I really like our pass rush.