Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #31  
Old 07-09-19, 09:33 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,546
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
IMO the objective of a movie is to be entertaining. Any "social significance" is an added bonus. I would also say that many of those 1939 films had a great deal of social commentary in them

.
As I posted earlier, anyone trying to be obtuse could reach in a grab a bite. I'm sure you could do the same for any year as well as list 100 movies that "entertained" you. Neither would address my question or the results of my search for why 39 is strongly considered a best year in Hollywood Cinema.


In my searching, I found almost (<-- you understand that word right? So we can avoid any insipid response to this word -->) none of the '39' movies listed by critics as having any social significance or long term lasting effects or affects on the industry, let alone a number significantly higher than any other year.

The point of my initial inquiry was to determine WHY 39 was listed as such a great year. That was motivated after I looked at the list of movies and being surprised that given the time period, they were mostly fluff and not seemingly a higher percentage of movies with long lasting audience than any other year.

The point of my follow-on post was that I found almost no social commentary given what was happening in Europe AND the US at the time. I found almost no movies that could claim to influence the social conscious or even open dialogue. This has nothing to do with "PC" culture. Both the Nazi's and your favorite bug-a-boo, the Communists were on the march. Hollywood was saying nothing.

I guess you consider it "PC" to have addressed those.

It was hardly Hollywood's shining year. It was a good business year. I simply stated that was the only reason I could find support for as to why 39 is listed as one of if not the greatest year. I never challenged your right or reason to be particularly entertained by the movies of that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
And for the record, The Grapes of Wrath, one of the most important & socially significant movies ever made came out in March, 1940. So it just missed being one of 1939's great films.


It would take too many syllables to explain how seriously stupid and immaterial that part of your post and you'd only deny for the sake of denying or ignorance. But out of hope for you, I'll try. The claim being addressed was 39 is (one of) the greatest. Not 39 and a couple months before and after.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-09-19, 04:24 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 27,691
lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
As I posted earlier, anyone trying to be obtuse could reach in a grab a bite. I'm sure you could do the same for any year as well as list 100 movies that "entertained" you. Neither would address my question or the results of my search for why 39 is strongly considered a best year in Hollywood Cinema.


In my searching, I found almost (<-- you understand that word right? So we can avoid any insipid response to this word -->) none of the '39' movies listed by critics as having any social significance or long term lasting effects or affects on the industry, let alone a number significantly higher than any other year.

The point of my initial inquiry was to determine WHY 39 was listed as such a great year. That was motivated after I looked at the list of movies and being surprised that given the time period, they were mostly fluff and not seemingly a higher percentage of movies with long lasting audience than any other year.

The point of my follow-on post was that I found almost no social commentary given what was happening in Europe AND the US at the time. I found almost no movies that could claim to influence the social conscious or even open dialogue. This has nothing to do with "PC" culture. Both the Nazi's and your favorite bug-a-boo, the Communists were on the march. Hollywood was saying nothing.

I guess you consider it "PC" to have addressed those.

It was hardly Hollywood's shining year. It was a good business year. I simply stated that was the only reason I could find support for as to why 39 is listed as one of if not the greatest year. I never challenged your right or reason to be particularly entertained by the movies of that year.





It would take too many syllables to explain how seriously stupid and immaterial that part of your post and you'd only deny for the sake of denying or ignorance. But out of hope for you, I'll try. The claim being addressed was 39 is (one of) the greatest. Not 39 and a couple months before and after.

I noticed that you didn't expand on what you consider to be "social commentary" other then to throw out the Nazis & Communists. But keep in mind that most of the movies released in 1939 were made in 1938 and/or very early 1939. At that time in the world:

* The conventional wisdom was NOT that the Nazis were on the march. In fact Chamberlain had just got back from signing the Munich Agreement (September 30, 1938). While we know in HINDSIGHT that the Nazis had played the British & French the CONVENTIONAL wisdom was that we had PEACE IN OUR TIME.

* In the late 1930's many in Hollywood thought that communism was a great idea and that Stalin's Soviet Union was a workers paradise. Why would movies attack a Soviet regime that many writers & producers admired? Again, through the benefit of HINDSIGHT we now know that Stalin's communist Soviet Union was every bit as brutal & evil as Hitler's Nazi Germany. But in 1939 that was NOT the prevailing view - by a long shot.

In fact many Americans in the late 1930's thought that the British & French with their global empires were a greater menace to the US then Hitler's Germany. In fact movies that advocated an aggressive war based foreign policy against Germany would have been viewed as WAR MONGERING by a majority of Americans who were very isolationist.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-09-19, 04:44 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,546
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I noticed that you didn't expand on what you consider to be "social commentary" other then to throw out the Nazis & Communists. .


yeah, just nazi's and communists. [sarcasm] Minor social concerns in mid to late 30s. [/sarcasm]<-- so he knows.

smh. Is it an accident of ignorance or do you purposely try to come off a buffoon?

I noticed you've not addressed a single "fact" I stated regards how that year of movies is considered by critics, fact in quotes because I can admit I wasn't there, am not an expert and as I posted, I'm only reporting on critic's commentary that I was able to find. You may be able to find other. Try that instead of blathering and maybe there's a discussion to be had. Otherwise as I see you've been told by others already recently, agree to disagree or whatever lets you move on.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-09-19, 07:31 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 27,691
lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post

yeah, just nazi's and communists. [sarcasm] Minor social concerns in mid to late 30s. [/sarcasm]<-- so he knows.

smh. Is it an accident of ignorance or do you purposely try to come off a buffoon?

I noticed you've not addressed a single "fact" I stated regards how that year of movies is considered by critics, fact in quotes because I can admit I wasn't there, am not an expert and as I posted, I'm only reporting on critic's commentary that I was able to find. You may be able to find other. Try that instead of blathering and maybe there's a discussion to be had. Otherwise as I see you've been told by others already recently, agree to disagree or whatever lets you move on.

You seem to struggle with having adult conversations. You get very emotional when folks disagree with you.

As for the movies from 1939 a lot of critics & movie buffs consider it to be one of, if not the best, year in the history of the movies. You disagree - which is fine as there are a number of critics who also believe that year has been overrated. But I hardly think it's controversial to argue that 1939 was a great movie year.

And for the record Communism & Nazism were seen very differently in the 1930's then how they're seen today. Even the Great Dictator which was made in 1940 (am I allowed to talk about a movie made in 1940?) mocked Hitler and portrayed him as a buffoon and not as a deeply evil man. The biggest mistake people make is to look at history through the prism of their own times.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-09-19, 08:42 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 6,445
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Rocketman: 7/8

Taron Egerton was great and I appreciated that he actually did the singing unlike Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-09-19, 09:14 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile: 5.5/8
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-10-19, 06:49 AM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 15,149
PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Rocketman: 7/8

Taron Egerton was great and I appreciated that he actually did the singing unlike Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody
Rami did some of it, but I get what you mean.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-10-19, 12:15 PM
NewOldBlood NewOldBlood is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-08-17
Posts: 713
NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Spiderman: Far From Home (2019) 4/8 Pretty disappointed in this one. Big Spiderman fan, big MCU fan but I just didn't think much of this one. Maybe I'll like it better the second time around.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-10-19, 07:14 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,546
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
You seem to struggle with having adult conversations. You get very emotional when folks disagree with you.
You seem to struggle being an adult and at knowing which words indicate distress and which indifference. I clearly stated I had no problem with you having enjoyed those movies and having the opinion you have but we've discussed your autism before so nothing new there.

Speaking of nothing new. You pulled your usual schtick, something I've called you out on before in which you quote back as facts something someone has already presented as if they were your finds and you're right and they're wrong, even though you just agreed.

You did exactly that in your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.
Quote:
As for the movies from 1939 a lot of critics & movie buffs consider it to be one of, if not the best, year in the history of the movies. You disagree - which is fine as there are a number of critics who also believe that year has been overrated. But I hardly think it's controversial to argue that 1939 was a great movie year.
Said exactly this in my first two posts on the subject. Also, no one claimed controversial whether it was a "great" year but typically, you say the fake news hoping it will stick.

Quote:
Even the Great Dictator ...
My first post on the subject.

Quote:
And for the record Communism & Nazism were seen very differently in the 1930's then how they're seen today.
And now you are seriously trying to make a point that Communism and Nazism were NOT major social concerns in the years preceding WWII? Please, tell us all, how were they seen "differently." Never mind, here is a way you can be more productive. Learn not to be a buffoon.

Those words were not emotion. They were indifference to your opinion, none of which you backed up with facts. Which is fine. And even if your facts back up the claim that 39 was the "best" year ever in cinema, I'd say, "Oh, that's interesting."

See, I was raised not to fear being wrong, not to fear admitting being wrong and not fear new information but to encourage it.

I was not wrong. 39 was not a strong year for socially relevant Hollywood movies. And if you'd done your research, you would know why.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-10-19, 07:42 PM
Salad76 Salad76 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-18-14
Posts: 74
Salad76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
You seem to struggle with having adult conversations. You get very emotional when folks disagree with you.

As for the movies from 1939 a lot of critics & movie buffs consider it to be one of, if not the best, year in the history of the movies. You disagree - which is fine as there are a number of critics who also believe that year has been overrated. But I hardly think it's controversial to argue that 1939 was a great movie year.

And for the record Communism & Nazism were seen very differently in the 1930's then how they're seen today. Even the Great Dictator which was made in 1940 (am I allowed to talk about a movie made in 1940?) mocked Hitler and portrayed him as a buffoon and not as a deeply evil man. The biggest mistake people make is to look at history through the prism of their own times.
lol.... like you could tell.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-11-19, 08:01 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,546
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad76 View Post
lol.... like you could tell.
Right! Look at the sequence of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I never challenged your (LOTR) right or reason to be particularly entertained by the movies of that year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10
You seem to struggle with having adult conversations. You get very emotional when folks disagree with you.
Didn't call him unreasonable. Didn't say he was stupid for liking those movies. Specifically tell the guy you can agree to disagree and he determines you "emotional." Easier for him than coming up with cogent argument I guess. smh.

To summarize the ONLY point that I made: After looking at the list of movies produced that year, I was surprised that the year declared "greatest" had relatively few movies I thought to be of social significance or influence. The critics' and professional views I was able to find mostly substantiated my observation and further seemed to indicate that the declaration of "greatest" seemed to have mostly to do with the number of movies produced and theatre attendance numbers.

Nothing controversial, insulting or emotional about that that I can see. He's the one lost his $hit, trying to deflect the importance of Communism and Fascism on the 1930's social conscious.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-11-19, 04:17 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,546
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Going OT from movies a bit.


6/8 Unforgotten Season 1-3. An English cold-case of sorts. The premise is, a body decades dead found and a season of discovering the killer from a littany of suspects shown off the bat.



I don't watch much serial drama anymore, let alone non-comedy British drama but noted in THIS series how... plain looking the actors were. More Mark Greene than Doug Ross than would normally be seen in our dramas. And the actors could act equally down to the bit parts.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-12-19, 11:13 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,986
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
A little outside of my normal movie choices but since my daughters read the Nancy Drew books and they were big fans of the 2007 film, I decided to watch Nancy Drew Detective (1938). Actually pretty decent. The actress who played her was cute but also capable as she tooled around in her sporty convertible, changed a tire and caught bad guys. Pretty liberated for the 1930's.

4/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 07-12-19 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-12-19, 01:04 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,614
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Stranger Things 3 - 6/8

I was pleasantly surprised. I thought they sort of botched season 2 so I went in with very little expectations after someone on here said season 3 was good.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-12-19, 01:05 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,614
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Also not a movie but NOVA and NatGeo both have excellent Apollo 11 documentaries running right now.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-13-19, 07:27 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 27,691
lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Gone with the Wind

8/8


The greatest big budget Hollywood blockbuster of all time. Set standards with set design, camera movement, cinematography, sound & special effects. Music score may be the best of all time.

GWTW exerted a HUGE influence over Hollywood by showing that BIG productions costing lots of money could still make BIG money. For the next 25 years Hollywood tried to top GWTW but never could.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-13-19, 07:47 AM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 15,149
PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Stranger Things 3 - 6/8



I was pleasantly surprised. I thought they sort of botched season 2 so I went in with very little expectations after someone on here said season 3 was good.


6/8 sounds about right. Maybe 6.5. There were a couple annoying characters this season.

Best line of the season: “Screw Todd, Steve’s her daddy now!”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-13-19, 11:22 AM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
6/8 sounds about right. Maybe 6.5. There were a couple annoying characters this season.

Best line of the season: “Screw Todd, Steve’s her daddy now!”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I was to rate the seasons I like best it would go 3,1, and then 2 ....
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-13-19, 11:34 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,614
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
6/8 sounds about right. Maybe 6.5. There were a couple annoying characters this season.

Best line of the season: “Screw Todd, Steve’s her daddy now!”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I liked it when Billy singled out the fat kid running at the pool and called him "lard arse" (ala Stand By Me) in front of everyone and no one said a peep. Ahhh the good old days when everyone enjoyed a good razzing of the fat kid.

Pretty cool homage to Close Encounters when the gang (Eleven) scared Dustin after getting home from camp and made all of his toys start working on their own. Same toys from Close Encounters when Barry gets abducted.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-13-19, 11:35 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,614
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
If I was to rate the seasons I like best it would go 3,1, and then 2 ....
Agree. Very rare when #1 is not the best. I was reluctant to watch Season 3 because I figured the quality would only slide further away.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Movies Did You Watch in June 2019? vamp2syd General Board 120 07-04-19 07:20 PM
What Movies Did You Watch in April 2019? vamp2syd General Board 66 05-01-19 05:15 PM
What Movies Did You Watch in July 2018? vamp2syd General Board 88 07-30-18 08:21 PM
What Movies Did You Watch in July 2017? vamp2syd General Board 87 07-31-17 06:32 AM
07/12 - ALBB - unofficial State / Regional schedules as I found them seclmw Baseball 0 07-12-17 07:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.