Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 07-01-19, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in July 2019?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3911 The Isle (UK-2018) ... 3.0/8

#3912 The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (US-1939) ... 5.5/8

#3913 The Appearance (US-2018) ... 4.5/8

#3914 Bird Box (US-2018) ... 5.0/8

#3915 The Silence (Germany-2019) ... 2.5/8

#3916 Danur: I Can See Ghosts (Indonesia-2017) ... 3.0/8

#3917 The Perfection (US-2018) ... 6.0/8

Last edited by vamp2syd; 07-07-19 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-19, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Blackboard Jungle

7/8

It's interesting to watch a sociological movie from 1955 dealing with race, ethnicity & juvenile delinquency. Much less melodramatic then other movies of this type from that period. Modern audiences might gasp when confronted with the raw racial/ethnic name calling that breaks out in one powerful classroom scene. In fact any teacher showing this movie in their classroom is probably putting their career on the line.

Glen Ford is great as always and you get to see young versions of Sydney Poitier & Vic Morrow. The movie sticks with you after the closing credits end.
Old 07-03-19, 05:37 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Blackboard Jungle

7/8

It's interesting to watch a sociological movie from 1955 dealing with race, ethnicity & juvenile delinquency. Much less melodramatic then other movies of this type from that period. Modern audiences might gasp when confronted with the raw racial/ethnic name calling that breaks out in one powerful classroom scene. In fact any teacher showing this movie in their classroom is probably putting their career on the line.

Glen Ford is great as always and you get to see young versions of Sydney Poitier & Vic Morrow. The movie sticks with you after the closing credits end.
Yes, great film. Now you have to watch the virtual remake, To Sir With Love (1967) where Poitier plays the role of the teacher to some lower class Brits. Great song by Lulu by the way.
Old 07-03-19, 08:44 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
The Upside (2017) 7/8 An ex-con (Kevin Hart) trying to go straight is hired by a quadriplegic billionaire (Bryan Cranston) as a live in caretaker. The odd couple develop a friendship that puts both their lives back on track. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I didn't have a lot of expectations, but it worked and I really enjoyed. Definitely worth the time if you haven't seen it.
Old 07-03-19, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Midsommar: 6.5/8
Old 07-04-19, 08:59 AM
All World

Green Book - Finally saw it. Great story well told. The directing and photograph was outstanding as was the performances of the key actors.

7/8
Old 07-05-19, 07:01 AM
All Yappi

8/8

Every year about this time I try to catch a showing of 1776 on TCM. I'm not a big fan of "musicals" and this has to be an odd story to try to tell using singing but against all odds it works - for me at least.

If there is a better and more entertaining description of the creating of the Declaration of Independence I would love to see it. Not only do they get the history right but they're able to show the process in all its glory AND warts. That these clearly flawed men could have created such an amazing document is one of history's great story's.

If you like the interplay of large ensemble casts featuring great writing & acting then this is the movie for you. While dissimilar in topic it reminds me of 12 Angry Men in the claustrophobic set and the enormous responsibility being laid on the shoulders of ordinary men.
Old 07-05-19, 07:05 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Spider-Man: Far From Home: 6.5/8

Not quite as good as the critical hype, but still a heck of a lot of fun. A scene or two where the execution could have been slightly better.

Up: 5/8

Finally watched this. Don't agree with others that it's top tier Pixar, but it was certainly an enjoyable film.
Old 07-05-19, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

The Dirt 5.0/8
Old 07-05-19, 06:53 PM
All Yappi

Little Fockers 4.5/8
Old 07-05-19, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Spider-Man: Far From Home: 6.5/8

Not quite as good as the critical hype, but still a heck of a lot of fun. A scene or two where the execution could have been slightly better.

Up: 5/8

Finally watched this. Don't agree with others that it's top tier Pixar, but it was certainly an enjoyable film.
Up, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Toy Story 3, and The Incredibles are Pixar's top 5 IMO. Coco and Ratatouille are up there too

Last edited by BlueJayFan; 07-05-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 07:31 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Up, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Toy Story 3, and The Incredibles are Pixar's top 5 IMO. Coco and Ratatouille are up there too

To each their own. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but I can list twelve (out of 20) Pixar movies I enjoy more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-19, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Fast and Furious: 4/8

The fourth in the series. Good action but the plot was kind of boring. I can see why they brought The Rock in after this to spice things up.

The ending of this movie seems to be the starting point of when the stunts in the franchise get preposterous.

Old 07-06-19, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Not a film, but Stranger Things 3 is pretty good as of episode 3
Old 07-06-19, 02:10 PM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Not a film, but Stranger Things 3 is pretty good as of episode 3
Iím at Ep 8 and itís pretty good. Itís like the Goonies meets Resident Evil. Thereís a lot more gore in this season than the past.
Old 07-06-19, 10:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Iím at Ep 8 and itís pretty good. Itís like the Goonies meets Resident Evil. Thereís a lot more gore in this season than the past.
So many nods to horror/sci-fi classics too. This season was much better than the second
Old 07-07-19, 03:01 PM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
I finished the 3rd season and Iíd give it a 6.25/8. Itís only 8 episodes, so thereís not much filler, and the plot progresses very quickly.
Old 07-07-19, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

The Isle (UK-2018)

Horror: Two survivors of a shipwreck become suspicious of the inhabitants of the island they washed up on. Bit on the boring side... 3.0/8

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

Drama w/ horror elements: A gypsy woman causes a bunch of trouble in 15th century France. This was one I avoided for many many years believing it would be boring but man I was missing a performance of a lifetime by Charles Laughton. He made it work for me!!! ... 5.5/8
Old 07-07-19, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

The Appearance (2018)

Horror: An Inquisitor is sent to investigate the death of a monk and an apparent witch. This one had its moments.... 4.5/8

Bird Box (2018)

Horror: Don't look, something is happening .... I liked enough of it though I did not care for the two separate time lines... 5.0/8
Old 07-07-19, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

The Silence (Germany-2019)

Horror: Bat like creatures wreak havoc on society as a family strives to survive. This one suffers from utter stupidity over and over again... 2.5/8

Danur: I Can See Ghosts (Indonesia-2017)

Horror: Low budget ghost story about a girl who is constantly left alone but soon finds some friends who may not be alive.... 3.0/8

The Perfection (2018)

Horror: When Cellist Prodigies Charlotte and Elizabeth meet everything is great until they set out on a trip together in the middle of nowhere in China. This one really caught me off guard and was a refresher ... 6.0/8
Old 07-07-19, 09:12 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
The Upside: 5.5/8

Finally got around to watching this. Hart and Cranston make a solid in screen pair. Kind of ended a bit abruptly, but that can happen with films based on true stories.

Old 07-08-19, 06:24 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
The Isle (UK-2018)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

Drama w/ horror elements: A gypsy woman causes a bunch of trouble in 15th century France. This was one I avoided for many many years believing it would be boring but man I was missing a performance of a lifetime by Charles Laughton. He made it work for me!!! ... 5.5/8
1939 - Best year in cinema ever. People who think American popular culture only started 15 years ago and don't make the effort to experience what their parents and grandparents (maybe even great grandparents) experienced are missing out. Our local art house theater has been doing a retrospective on that year. Unfortunately I have missed most of the films in the series.

Yes, Laughton was pretty impressive. Lon Chaney "The Man of a Thousand Faces" originated the film role in a 1923 silent film that is also an outstanding version. If you can handle silent film, it is very much worth watching.
Old 07-08-19, 11:06 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
1939 - Best year (1939) in cinema ever..
I've read the same, looked to see which were in the public domain and found a wiki listing all the movies premiered that year.

I was not impressed as I expected to be. A couple top-enders for sure but very few of social significance, particularly for a build-up to war year. Mostly entertainment fluff. Confessions of a Nazi Spy one of the few exceptions. I'll have to read as to why Hollywood seemed to mostly ignore what was going on, which reminds me the exception I have on my list to watch, "The Great Dictator (1940)."

Never a fan of Gone With the Wind, that pretty much took the big seller off my list leaving a lot of eh. Of course Oz was a regular watch but most of the social commentary didn't hit the movie in any way unless you read it in. I'll watch Mr. Smith, Mr. Chips and Stagecoach on occasion.

Attendance and shear volume are given as reasons for calling it the best HOLLYWOOD year but maybe that is because war was looming and urbanization was on the upswing, people were looking for distraction?
Old 07-08-19, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
1939 - Best year in cinema ever. People who think American popular culture only started 15 years ago and don't make the effort to experience what their parents and grandparents (maybe even great grandparents) experienced are missing out. Our local art house theater has been doing a retrospective on that year. Unfortunately I have missed most of the films in the series.

Yes, Laughton was pretty impressive. Lon Chaney "The Man of a Thousand Faces" originated the film role in a 1923 silent film that is also an outstanding version. If you can handle silent film, it is very much worth watching.
When it comes to Silent Films it all depends on the score it comes with as well as it being horror themed .... my favorite would have to be Nosferatu followed by Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Unknown, Faust, Haxan and Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde
Old 07-08-19, 06:37 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Throw Momma From The Train (1987) Billy Crystal, Danny Devito, Kate Mulgrew and Anne Ramsey who steals the show.

I've seen bits and pieces, but never the entire movie. Pretty funny and worth the watch. 6/8

Backtracking a bit:

Centurion (2010) Thought I would like this more than I did. (What's not to like about barbaric Roman soldiers and barbaric Picts)?

Story was kind of meh, but the three pretty hot female Scots (two warriors) helped out. Plenty of mutilation for those looking for a bloody good (well, ok) flick.

It ain't no Braveheart. 4/8 (Rotten Tomatoes - 61%)

Last edited by EagleGuy; 07-08-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 08:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I've read the same, looked to see which were in the public domain and found a wiki listing all the movies premiered that year.

I was not impressed as I expected to be. A couple top-enders for sure but very few of social significance, particularly for a build-up to war year. Mostly entertainment fluff. Confessions of a Nazi Spy one of the few exceptions. I'll have to read as to why Hollywood seemed to mostly ignore what was going on, which reminds me the exception I have on my list to watch, "The Great Dictator (1940)."

Never a fan of Gone With the Wind, that pretty much took the big seller off my list leaving a lot of eh. Of course Oz was a regular watch but most of the social commentary didn't hit the movie in any way unless you read it in. I'll watch Mr. Smith, Mr. Chips and Stagecoach on occasion.

Attendance and shear volume are given as reasons for calling it the best HOLLYWOOD year but maybe that is because war was looming and urbanization was on the upswing, people were looking for distraction?
I like all the films that you like but I like Gone With the Wind too, as well as Hunchback of Notre Dame, Young Mr. Lincoln, Destry Rides Again, Drums Along the Mohawk, Four Feathers and Hounds of Baskerville. So, 1939 was a very good year.

You can tell from the films that I like that I do not always need a social commentary. Sometimes a good compelling story is enough.
Old 07-08-19, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I like all the films that you like but I like Gone With the Wind too, as well as Hunchback of Notre Dame, Young Mr. Lincoln, Destry Rides Again, Drums Along the Mohawk, Four Feathers and Hounds of Baskerville. So, 1939 was a very good year.

You can tell from the films that I like that I do not always need a social commentary. Sometimes a good compelling story is enough.
It was different than I'd expected. It's fairly regular to see 39 proclaimed "best." I wanted to see why.

Everybody likes a good story but I had presumed there'd have been some social significance to earn "best of." Very few of these movies seem to have had affect on the social conscious.

The year didn't rate particularly high even when I googled most significant movies, or other searches along those lines. Even artistically, it didn't rate as I'd expected.

There are different perspectives on the year as being the best, even amongst critics I could find. There were a lot of movies made and attendance was high. It was a good business year of Hollywood but whether it was a good artistic or cultural year doesn't seem so clear cut.
Old 07-09-19, 05:48 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Annie (1982) 4/8 It was my wife's turn to pick the family movie and this was it. I had never watched it, not a big fan of musicals, neither had the kids so she was going to enlighten us. It was a little better than I expected, but not for me.

10.0 Earthquake (2014) 1/8 Another great pick by the misses. A fracking company sets off a series of "natural" disasters in LA when they start to break through the Earth's crust that a couple of scientist believe is building up to a 10.0 earthquake that will finally cause the California coast to break off into the ocean. Just a really, really bad movie all the way around. One of the worst I've seen.
Old 07-09-19, 05:53 AM
All Yappi

Man got to hide the remote.

Philadelphia 6/8 One of those movies I found every actor down to the bit parts real and affecting. I guess that goes to directing. Hanks got the awards but Banderas really took a role that could have been off-putting to the 1993 public and made it ellicite compassion. -2 because the defense was credible and instead of beating it, the movie just came to the desired outcome by having the jury completely ignore it.
Old 07-09-19, 07:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
It was different than I'd expected. It's fairly regular to see 39 proclaimed "best." I wanted to see why.

Everybody likes a good story but I had presumed there'd have been some social significance to earn "best of." Very few of these movies seem to have had affect on the social conscious.

The year didn't rate particularly high even when I googled most significant movies, or other searches along those lines. Even artistically, it didn't rate as I'd expected.

There are different perspectives on the year as being the best, even amongst critics I could find. There were a lot of movies made and attendance was high. It was a good business year of Hollywood but whether it was a good artistic or cultural year doesn't seem so clear cut.

I would be curious as to your definition of "significant social commentary"? To me it's a lot more then the PC association of the term in the late 20th/early 21st century.

IMO the objective of a movie is to be entertaining. Any "social significance" is an added bonus. I would also say that many of those 1939 films had a great deal of social commentary in them if you define the term to include things that describe positive personal & group behaviors. Just off the top of my head:

* Stagecoach showcased class differences and focused on the concept of redemption, greed, courage and what it means to do good versus bad.

* The Four Feathers was also a study of redemption and the personal nature of cowardice & bravery.

* Young Mr. Lincoln explored a rags to riches story. This was a very powerful and typical social commentary of that time.

* Drums Along the Mohawk was an examination of the self sacrifice and special kind of courage it took to build a community in the wilderness.

* Goodbye Mr. Chips is a look at what it really means to live a life of service. In this case a beloved teacher whose kindness & quiet wisdom impacted so many others.

* Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is the quintessential look at political corruption and the hardship but eventual triumph of doing the right thing.

In 1939 the idea of "social commentary" focused more on the individual and the moral choices each man & women had to make throughout their life to help create a better world. Sure, it didn't feature much along the way of civil rights or the other things we define as socially significant today, but it would be a mistake to dismiss the social significance of these movies in 1939.

And for the record, The Grapes of Wrath, one of the most important & socially significant movies ever made came out in March, 1940. So it just missed being one of 1939's great films.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: