Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 06-16-19, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
4.25 is generous.

Rocketman - 6/8

Not a fan of musicals but Elton has a good catalog of songs and his story is good. The acting is good for the most part, though the lead sometimes overdoes it.
Old 06-17-19, 06:25 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Spiderman: Homecoming (2017) 5.5/8 Watched again with my son to gear up for Far From Home coming out in a few weeks. Solid MCU movie. I like Tom Holland's version of Peter Parker.

Scream (1996) 6.5/8 One of my favorite slasher movies. I think the opening scene is outstanding, I always liked that they killed off the most famous person in the first few minutes. Definitely one of my favorites.
Old 06-17-19, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Aladdin (2019): 6/8
Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019): 6/8

Life with a 7-year-old. These movies were excellent for what they are. Will Smith is a national treasure.
Old 06-17-19, 08:09 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
John Wick 3 - better than 2, falls slightly short of the original. 10/13.
Old 06-17-19, 04:51 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
10/13 as X/8.

13X = 80 = ~6.2.

Troublemaker.
Old 06-17-19, 08:28 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
The Train (1965) - Interesting WWII story of the saving of French art within occupied France, by the French Resistance. Kind of a Monuments Men (2014) but from the in-side. Based on a true story, including the improbable, yet true, effort to convince the Germans that the treasure laden train was heading to Germany, while courageous French RR workers misdirect the train into a circular route in order to stall the transfer to German territory as the Allied forces were closing in on Paris. Like Monuments Men they explore the question of the value of a nation's art and culture weighed against the value of men's lives.

5/8
Old 06-17-19, 08:29 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
P.S. I am just about out of my Memorial Day and D-Day DVR'd WWII movies. Hang in there, just a few more.
Old 06-19-19, 11:39 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
The Hateful Eight (2015) 6.5/8 I hadn't watched this one since it first came out and I definitely liked it more the second time around. Outstanding cast, great dialouge, Samuel L. Jackson at his finest. Another classic Tarantino film.
Old 06-19-19, 10:11 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (1971)

Horror/Crime: Aunt Martha and Stanley are hiding out .... while Martha becomes paranoid Stanley tries to hook up with every girl in town but he is not quite right and can become quite violent but it is Aunt Martha you really have to watch out for. This one was bizarre and over the top and I did not care for it at first but then it took off with a pleasant ending!!!! ... 4.5/8
Old 06-19-19, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

Nazi Undead (2018)

Horror: Don't be fooled by the title as the original title for this one was "Living Space". No zombies what so ever and just a ploy to trick people to watch it. I was one.... A couple deep in Germany have an issue and go look for help but stumble into something horrific. This one has a twist to it which we have seen over and over again..... bore fest .... 2.0/8

Elizabeth Harvest (2018)

Horror: Elizabeth wonders why a rich doctor would pick her to marry. The doc has one rule though, everything is yours but under no circumstances to you enter into this room.... well, spoiler alert... she does. Not too shabby... 4.5/8
Old 06-19-19, 10:21 PM
All Yappi

Mongdal (Korea-2018)

Horror: A boys crush on a girl becomes over the top creepy. Korean's no how to do horror and this one was pretty good. It did get a bit cheesy though but it did not ruin it for me.... 5.5/8
Old 06-19-19, 11:51 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Booksmart: 6.5/8
Old 06-20-19, 07:10 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Booksmart: 6.5/8
Agreed. Awesome movie.
Old 06-20-19, 04:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
The Train (1965) - Interesting WWII story of the saving of French art within occupied France, by the French Resistance. Kind of a Monuments Men (2014) but from the in-side. Based on a true story, including the improbable, yet true, effort to convince the Germans that the treasure laden train was heading to Germany, while courageous French RR workers misdirect the train into a circular route in order to stall the transfer to German territory as the Allied forces were closing in on Paris. Like Monuments Men they explore the question of the value of a nation's art and culture weighed against the value of men's lives.

5/8
Saw this recently. I think you and I rated this the same. Unlike me, you presented a succinct synopsis. (You made the effort).
Old 06-20-19, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
John Wick - 4.5/8

Another rain day so I figured I'd see what all the hype was about. Same mold as Jack Reacher and Equalizer. Ultimate bad arse shoot em up.
Old 06-21-19, 07:13 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Overlord: 5.25/8

A fun little action flick. Not a well known cast per say, but it was a fun alternative take on World War II.
Old 06-21-19, 07:34 AM
All Yappi

The Upside - 6/8
Old 06-21-19, 06:54 PM
All World

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - William Holden, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins

It's been a long time since I first saw this movie and had forgotten most of it, including the dramatic ending. I also doubt I appreciated the complexity of the movie the first time around. Well worth staying up until 2:00 am, unplanned. 7/8

Google:

British POWs are ordered by their Japanese captors to construct a bridge of strategic importance and are happy to sabotage and delay the progress until their commanding officers orders them to continue the work unhindered to its completion, but are his actions tantamount to collaborating with the enemy?

Old 06-22-19, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Toy Story 4: 6.5/8

Great but also a bit of a disappointment given reviews. Not as good as Toy Story 3 IMO.

I actually did not like the ending to the movie, though the mid credits scenes help make it less objectionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-19, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Watched an old 80's movie last night, Wolfen, set in NYC, starring Albert Finney. Apart from the story of a pack of wolves killing a bunch of New Yorkers, what struck me the most were the scenes showing the Twin Towers. Every time I see a scene of those buildings I get choked up and incredibly mad. I'd give the movie 4/8.
Old 06-22-19, 03:44 PM
All World

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - Besides a "pull at the heart strings" ending, this flick was just a bit more than OK for me. Dozed off around the two hour mark for about five minutes, convincing myself I was still listening. 5/8

Google:

A robotic boy, the first programmed to love, David (Haley Joel Osment) is adopted as a test case by a Cybertronics employee (Sam Robards) and his wife (Frances O'Connor). Though he gradually becomes their child, a series of unexpected circumstances make this life impossible for David. Without final acceptance by humans or machines, David embarks on a journey to discover where he truly belongs, uncovering a world in which the line between robot and machine is both vast and profoundly thin.
Old 06-22-19, 03:54 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - Besides a "pull at the heart strings" ending, this flick was just a bit more than OK for me. Dozed off around the two hour mark for about five minutes, convincing myself I was still listening. 5/8

Google:

A robotic boy, the first programmed to love, David (Haley Joel Osment) is adopted as a test case by a Cybertronics employee (Sam Robards) and his wife (Frances O'Connor). Though he gradually becomes their child, a series of unexpected circumstances make this life impossible for David. Without final acceptance by humans or machines, David embarks on a journey to discover where he truly belongs, uncovering a world in which the line between robot and machine is both vast and profoundly thin.

I thought this was one of the most depressing movies i've see. Can't give a specific reason, but I thought it was a real downer
Old 06-23-19, 01:00 AM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Brightburn: 4/8
Old 06-23-19, 12:31 PM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
Platoon: 7/8
Old 06-23-19, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Mr.Brooks,I like KC.
Old 06-23-19, 02:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
I thought this was one of the most depressing movies i've see. Can't give a specific reason, but I thought it was a real downer
I understand. I almost stopped watching it a couple of times. I think to begin with, the movie dealt with the unnatural. (Don't fool with Mother Nature).

Second, both humans, especially the grieving (attractive) mother, and the near-human robot boy were used as pawns in what was, in essence, the creator's frankenstein-like experiment.

(The father and son - not main characters - came off as cool if not cold - even if somewhat understandably so).

It didn't help that one of the main (creepy) characters was a robotic gigolo that had interactions with women - one fatal - and was romanticized as a hero of sorts.

And, the plight of the "incomplete" fugitive robots was a downer, too, especially that of the robot boy's short-term "nanny". Re: the few attempts of humor were overshadowed by the movie's somber tone.

Finally, the often-used "mommy" seemed queer at the beginning (robot to human), but by the end seemed natural (cue heart-string) between the robot boy and "re-born" mother.

Between what I have read recently about artificial intelligence and robotics, in addition to genetic engineering, it does give one pause to think about the potential consequences we may soon encounter.

Last edited by EagleGuy; 06-23-19 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 02:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I understand. I almost stopped watching it a couple of times. I think to begin with, the movie dealt with the unnatural. (Don't fool with Mother Nature). Second, both humans, especially the grieving yet attractive mother, and the near-human robot boy were essentially used as pawns in what was, in essence, the creator's experiment. (The father - not a main character - came off as a bit cool if not cold). And, for me, it didn't help that one of the main (creepy) characters was a robotic gigolo that had interactions with women - one fatal - and was romanticized as a hero of sorts. Finally, the often-used "mommy" seemed queer at the beginning, but by the end felt natural albeit sad.
Premise was very cool but Spielberg botched this one. It was one of his first movies to go stupidly overboard with sadness and darkness (inside shots were incredibly dark). Jude Law was pretty good as a sexbot and newsflash the robot cute kid grows up to become a pre-diabetic fat arse.

Old 06-23-19, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - William Holden, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins

It's been a long time since I first saw this movie and had forgotten most of it, including the dramatic ending. I also doubt I appreciated the complexity of the movie the first time around. Well worth staying up until 2:00 am, unplanned. 7/8

Google:

British POWs are ordered by their Japanese captors to construct a bridge of strategic importance and are happy to sabotage and delay the progress until their commanding officers orders them to continue the work unhindered to its completion, but are his actions tantamount to collaborating with the enemy?

One of the first films I ever watched with my old man. Great flick.
Old 06-23-19, 03:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Premise was very cool but Spielberg botched this one. It was one of his first movies to go stupidly overboard with sadness and darkness (inside shots were incredibly dark). Jude Law was pretty good as a sexbot and newsflash the robot cute kid grows up to become a pre-diabetic fat arse.

Well put. Didn't realize Jude Law was that character (and he was a character) even though I specifically watched because he was in it. Doh! No way on the kid! Geeez.

Watched another one (first time) that was somewhat disturbing though I guess making us uneasy is the goal sometimes. A bit too much/many Brooklyn mouths for me, but that's Brooklyn for youse!

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) Al Pachino

Provocative, as in provoking or inviting thought. Despite being a true story and AP's performance, just 6/8 for me - notwithstanding RotTom's 95% rating.

Last edited by EagleGuy; 06-23-19 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Robot boy was in a lot of sad movies....

Sixth Sense
Pay It Forward
and another that had to do with Lions ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: