Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 06-01-19, 06:52 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in June 2019?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3899 POB (Thailand-2018) ... 2.5/8

#3900 To All A Goodnight (US-1980) ... 2.5/8

#3901 Halloween 9: H40 (US-2018) ... 4.5/8

#3902 The Possession of Nurse Sherri (US-1978) ... 3.5/8

#3903 The Road (US-2009) ... 6.0/8

#3904 Beyond White Space (US-2018) ... 3.5/8

#3905 Q: The Winged Serpent (US-1982) ... 5.0/8

#3906 Toyol (Malasia-2018) ... 4.0/8

#3907 Mongdal (Korea-2018) ... 5.5/8

#3908 Elizabeth Harvest (US-2018) ... 4.5/8

#3909 Nazi Undead (Australia-2018) ... 2.0/8

#3910 Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (US-1971) ... 4.5/8

Last edited by vamp2syd; 06-19-19 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-19, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Deadwood the Movie

7/8

Great fun catching up on the amazing characters of Deadwood South Dakota!

Just remember to put the kids/grand kids to bed before watching this or they'll develop a vocabulary that'll make a convict blush!
Old 06-01-19, 04:12 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Heads up.... Turner Classic Movies will be showing a 1930's horror movie marathon starting at roughly 7:30 AM Friday....
What's the weather forecast?

Bull Durham - (1988) - Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins,
Jenny Robertson - Baseball and loose women. 6/8
Old 06-02-19, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Godzilla, King of the Monsters: 4.5/8

Plenty of monster fighting but the overall plot was thin. Whereas Godzilla 1 was light on fighting and more on plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-19, 03:48 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 3/8

Horribly written, but great CGI. Final act was decent.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - 7/8

Incredibly choreographed action, stunning visuals, etc. This series just keeps getting better
Old 06-04-19, 07:35 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Deadwood the Movie — 7/8

I've been waiting quite a while for this and it didn't disappoint. The ending was a bit confusing, though, almost as if a sequel could be expected. Or maybe I'm just hoping.
Old 06-04-19, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
The Upside- not terrible but not great. The French version (The Intouchables) is way better. For whatever reason, I donít like many movies that Bryan Cranston stars in, yet he was on my favorite show of all time.

4.5/8

Arctic- excellent acting but kind of slow and very little dialogue.

5/8

First man- Gosling was really good in it. Wasnít too bad just also a little slow.

5/8
Old 06-04-19, 07:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Deadwood the Movie ó 7/8

I've been waiting quite a while for this and it didn't disappoint. The ending was a bit confusing, though, almost as if a sequel could be expected. Or maybe I'm just hoping.
It sure looked like they set things up for a sequel to me. I sure hope they follow through.
Old 06-06-19, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

Beyond White Space (2018)

SciFi/Horror: In the year 2150 a captain of a space vessel journeys to deep space in search of a mammoth creature that had killed his father. This one was a bore as I lost interest but near the end I got drawn back in as it took a different direction. +1 for the ending.... 3.5/8

The Road (2009)

Drama/Horror: Post Apocalyptic world a father tries his best to keep his young son alive as they travel south. Very depressing film especially when the father shows his son how to commit suicide in case he gets caught as he would surely be raped. A little puzzled by some of the events that happened late that did not quite make sense to me but overall a great flick.... 6.0/8
Old 06-06-19, 07:31 PM
All Yappi

The Possession of Nurse Sherri (1978)

Horror: Simply put, something has come over Nurse Sherri and I guess you know what it is.... 3.5/8

Halloween 9 (H40) (2018)

Horror: This is actually the 3rd Halloween 2 made. It ignores all other Halloween movies with the exception of the first which frankly makes the actions of Lauri in this one to not make sense what so ever.... There are still a lot of stuff to like about it ... 4.5/8
Old 06-06-19, 07:36 PM
All Yappi

To All A Goodnight (1980)

Horror: It is Christmas break at an all girls school and a few of them decide to stick around and throw a party unfortunately for them a crazed killer dressed as Mr. Clause shows up. This one just did not make sense... sure, it wasn't hard to figure out who was doing it but the timing of it did not make sense at all.... 2.5/8

POB (Thailand-2018)

Horror: A journalist who photographs brutal murder scenes runs into a Thai ghost named POB. I just could not get into this one at all... 2.5/8
Old 06-07-19, 07:37 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
The Perfection (2019) 7/8 Netflix original, psychological thriller about two former musical prodigies who attended the same music academy where they were "trained" for The Perfection. I thought it was very good. Probably the best Netflix original I've watched to this point.
Old 06-07-19, 07:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Beyond White Space (2018)

SciFi/Horror: In the year 2150 a captain of a space vessel journeys to deep space in search of a mammoth creature that had killed his father. This one was a bore as I lost interest but near the end I got drawn back in as it took a different direction. +1 for the ending.... 3.5/8

The Road (2009)

Drama/Horror: Post Apocalyptic world a father tries his best to keep his young son alive as they travel south. Very depressing film especially when the father shows his son how to commit suicide in case he gets caught as he would surely be raped. A little puzzled by some of the events that happened late that did not quite make sense to me but overall a great flick.... 6.0/8
Vamp I had the same take about White Space. In addition to being boring it was also dumb. I would give it a score of 2/8.

As an aside if you want a great read check out the book version of The Road by Cormac McCarthy. The book is much better then the movie and is truly one of the most haunting stories you'll ever read. IMO the movie doesn't do the book justice. BTW this guy also wrote "No Country for Old Men".
Old 06-08-19, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Dark Phoenix: 5/8

Not perfect. The villain is generic, and maybe not even needed, but it also has some great X-Men moments that fans will appreciate. Almost every character gets to show off their powers in new, cool ways.

Unlike many movies, itís actually about ten minutes too short. Fassbenderís storyline could have used more time.

As said, the villain is generic but I think Captain Marvel is partially to blame. Itís rumored the Skulls would have been the original villains.

Had they ditched the villains all together, thereís actually about 60% of a very good X-men: Civil War movie here.

Old 06-08-19, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Escape Room: 4.75/8

Old 06-08-19, 03:51 PM
All Yappi

The Captain

7/8

German language film (that means subtitles) set in the closing weeks of WW2. Nazi Germany is collapsing and a German soldier deserts his unit only to be hunted down. He barely escapes with his life and then stumbles onto the full dress uniform of a Luftwaffe captain. All this happens in the first 10 minutes of the movie and from there the story follows this guys somewhat successful ruse.

The movie is meant as an allegory of the corrupting influence of Nazi brutality and as such it works well. It's also a black comedy though very dark and often horrifying. if you doubt that this could have happened at the end of the war in the Reich read some first person accounts of the arbitrary horrors inflicted on German soldiers & civilians by the collapsing Nazi government apparatus in the waning days of WW2.
Old 06-08-19, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

Detective Pikachu: 5/8
Old 06-08-19, 04:54 PM
All World

An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Global warming documentary by Al Gore. This piece may have more of an impact on me had I seen it when it came out.

Today, global warming/climate change is old news - not to downplay the issue. Mixed in was a little Al Gore history. Rotten Tomatoes rates it 93%. 5/8
Old 06-08-19, 07:09 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Hope and Glory (1987) - One of two fine coming of age during WWII movies that came out that year, together with Empire of the Sun. This showed the British home front in a less sentimental way than Mrs. Miniver (1942). Funny, becoming almost a black comedy, a boy learns that his parents aren't perfect, learns about sex and what it means to be a man.

6/8

End of the Affair (1955) - A very different Van Johnson WWII movie. Here he does not play the good natured American GI. He plays instead a moody and damaged ex-GI who stays in London after being injured in the war. In London, he is working on a novel and starts an affair with a married woman. It goes from melodrama to a statement on God's presence in or lives.

5/8
Old 06-09-19, 12:50 PM
All World

St. Elmo's Fire - (1985) Soap opera about privileged kids. Reminds me of The Breakfast Club and the tv series Friends, both being better than this movie.

Because of the musical theme and Demi Moore, I'll give it an extra point. 5/8
Old 06-09-19, 05:12 PM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Deadwood the Movie ó 7/8

I think they wanted to to keep it semi historically accurate with Hearst. They couldnít hang him, so they gave the audience a bit of a bone by having to town beat the crap out of him.

I wouldnít count on a sequel, David Milch has Alzheimerís.
Old 06-10-19, 12:19 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Bad Times at the El Royale - 6.5/8
Old 06-10-19, 08:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
It sure looked like they set things up for a sequel to me. I sure hope they follow through.
I'd say by the reaction, that's likely. Two key characters and storylines are left up in the air. I'm with you, though. I hope there is a sequel.
Old 06-10-19, 10:51 AM
All Ohio

I was layed up in bed with a bug all weekend, so I did some extensive television watching.

Pulp Fiction (1994) 8/8 Tarantino's best work in my opinion. Great cast, great stories that all end up intertwined. Probably my favorite movie.

Gran Tarino (2008) 6.5/8 Clint Eastwood directs and stars as a grumpy old, Korean War veteran still living in a run down Detroit neighborhood that's been overrun with gangs and immigrant "Mongs". Really good, with a great character development and an awesome ending.

Rim of the World (2019) 3/8 Netflix original about a group of kids at a summer camp when aliens invade the planet. They are charged with delivering a key to NASA to save the world. Not great, but not the worst I've seen.

Poseidon (2006) 4/8 My wife loves these disaster movies so I end up watching a lot of them, some multiple times. A sort of titanic knock-off but half as long without the love story. Somewhat outrageous, but also somewhat entertaining.

Divergent (2014) 7/8 Sci-fi movie about a world after a major war. I thought this series was very good, better than the Hunger Games movies and this first edition is probably the best of the three.

Menace II Society (1993) 7/8 Gangster movie about young thugs growing up in Watts in the 80's and early 90's. One of my favorites in the genre with a great cast and an outstanding soundtrack.

When They See Us (2019) 6.5/8 Netflix mini-series about the Central Park 5 a group of 14-16 year old boys who were wrongfully convicted of an assault and rape of a woman in Central Park in 1989. I watched a documentary about this a few years back so I was very interested when I saw this released. I thought is was great, very moving, and if even half of the stuff that happened is true, then this is probably one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in recent history. I took a point off because of the multiple shot they took at Trump, not that I cared that much, but it wasn't necessary to the story and was clearly politically motivated towards today's current events and not what was happening at the time.
Old 06-10-19, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
Poseidon (2006) 4/8 My wife loves these disaster movies so I end up watching a lot of them, some multiple times. A sort of titanic knock-off but half as long without the love story. Somewhat outrageous, but also somewhat entertaining.
The original was much better.

Quote:
Menace II Society (1993) 7/8 Gangster movie about young thugs growing up in Watts in the 80's and early 90's. One of my favorites in the genre with a great cast and an outstanding soundtrack.
+1. Great movie.

Quote:
When They See Us (2019) 6.5/8 Netflix mini-series about the Central Park 5 a group of 14-16 year old boys who were wrongfully convicted of an assault and rape of a woman in Central Park in 1989. I watched a documentary about this a few years back so I was very interested when I saw this released. I thought is was great, very moving, and if even half of the stuff that happened is true, then this is probably one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in recent history. I took a point off because of the multiple shot they took at Trump, not that I cared that much, but it wasn't necessary to the story and was clearly politically motivated towards today's current events and not what was happening at the time.
A friend recommended this to me today and said there wasn't much mention of Trump when I asked. The awful things he interjected into this situation are deserving of scorn, IMO. Although, at this point we all know who and what he is.

I'm looking forward to watching, though. This was certainly an awful episode in history.
Old 06-10-19, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Always Be My Maybe - 3.5/8

Standard rom-com stuff with Asian main characters.
Old 06-10-19, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

+1. Great movie.

A friend recommended this to me today and said there wasn't much mention of Trump when I asked. The awful things he interjected into this situation are deserving of scorn, IMO. Although, at this point we all know who and what he is.

I'm looking forward to watching, though. This was certainly an awful episode in history.
Old 06-10-19, 02:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

+1. Great movie.

It was really only the first episode, but I think when you watch it you'll see what I'm talking about. It didn't really bother me and his actions deserved some mention, it was more the way they did it that you could tell they were directing at modern times as much as they were that time in history.
Old 06-10-19, 03:01 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:

When They See Us (2019) 6.5/8 Netflix mini-series about the Central Park 5 a group of 14-16 year old boys who were wrongfully convicted of an assault and rape of a woman in Central Park in 1989....and if even half of the stuff that happened is true, then this is probably one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in recent history. .

and I think many would say it was standard operating, they just caught caught hanging random suspects out to dry. I've been avoiding the show because some things I just know are going to pizz me off, so I take an ignorance is bliss until I'm in the right mood.

The Trump thing would be an opportune distraction if it's not pertinent to the direction the whole thing took.
Old 06-10-19, 03:29 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Not sure this is the place for this, but watched an older movie this weekend on DVR, Duplicity...with Julia Roberts and some dude named Clive Owen.

I'll say, I'm pretty easily entertained, I rarely find a bad movie, and this one was BAD!!!

Roberts and Owen are former spies who do this on again off again romance. The movie may have been palatable if it just went from start to end, but there was this jumping around, and I have no idea why movie people think this is clever. It's confusing and very difficult to watch.
The only good thing was I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: