Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-20-19, 05:40 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Recaps... Tires... 4 for $40 + your 4 old tires (must be good cores).
Most of the big tire stores sold them.

SOHIO (Standard Oil of Ohio) had a promo where they gave away free money and
gas. Just match the license plate number on your car to a published list that was
displayed at the service station.

License plate key fobs; you got this in the mail as a ad gimmick ( I think from AAA),
attach to your key ring: it had your cars plate number (mini Ohio plate) and on the
reverse... "If found drop in any Mail Box" ...the Post Office would send the keys
to the address on the back and the sponsor would send the lost keys back to you.

Hotel keys (metal ones); they had a fob with the hotel name on it and a similar
message to drop in any mail box if found. Room numbers were engraved on the key.

:>---

SF
Old 05-20-19, 07:23 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Opera windows? I'm pretty sure they're extinct on "regular" cars, but still may be available in Cadillacs and Town Cars. I took Drivers Ed in a Chevy Malibu, and our parallel parking instructions included sighting the curbside bumper of the car behind you thru the opera window. The car I took my road test in also had one, so I passed easily. Nowadays I just guess.

That reminds me - the triangle car vent windows. Probably killed off once most cars were built with AC.
Old 05-20-19, 08:06 AM
All World

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
The side window was killed off when someone realized how much cheaper it was to make a car without a vent window.
Old 05-20-19, 09:58 AM
All Ohio

WarriorDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Ok all you Clevelanders who remembers Big Chuck and Hoolihan? Mushmouth Marietta?
Mushmouth Mariano Pacetti.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010...etti_orga.html
Old 05-20-19, 10:55 AM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Geauga Lake Amusement Park was awesome. Great fun a few times a summer when I was younger, we'd sneak in at night when we were old enough to drive there as teenagers. Often tripping....bright lights!!

You could park at the Lawson's across the street, and go by this little separate swimming beach. There was a block wall about 5-6 foot high, walling off the amusement park from the swim club, right by the park's security office. If you went close to the lake, there were bushes on the park side. You'd hop there, and then make sure no one was looking out the office. I think I only paid maybe twice, because I was with a date, after we found out how easy it was to sneak in.
The roto man at Geauga Lake!

Also there used to be tons of company picnis in the pavilion area. My friends and I would act like kids of employees and eat free dogs and burgers. Great times. Loved Geauga Lake.
Old 05-20-19, 08:49 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Opera windows? I'm pretty sure they're extinct on "regular" cars, but still may be available in Cadillacs and Town Cars. I took Drivers Ed in a Chevy Malibu, and our parallel parking instructions included sighting the curbside bumper of the car behind you thru the opera window. The car I took my road test in also had one, so I passed easily. Nowadays I just guess.

That reminds me - the triangle car vent windows. Probably killed off once most cars were built with AC.
Those windows were a godsend. Wish I had them on my '91 Sonoma, which has virtually no ventilation.
Old 05-21-19, 07:45 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
How about this one....

Thriving down town businesses.

Seems like more and more downtown businesses just cannot keep up. "Back in the day" many of these places had apartments above their place of business and they lived there but now everyone was the big ole house and many of those small places cannot keep up.

Parking in many downtowns is just atrocious, and with less and less people learning how to parallel park some are even afraid to try and just keep on driving if there isn't two spots together so they can slide on in.
Old 05-21-19, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Great point, but it is coming back. Look at Pittsburgh. Even cities like Toledo and Dayton are budding with new investment pushed by new sports venues.
Old 05-21-19, 08:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

Parking in many downtowns is just atrocious, and with less and less people learning how to parallel park some are even afraid to try and just keep on driving if there isn't two spots together so they can slide on in.
And the parallel parking part of the exam for your driver's license is all but gone. I read where a few states still have it, though?
Old 05-21-19, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Great point, but it is coming back. Look at Pittsburgh. Even cities like Toledo and Dayton are budding with new investment pushed by new sports venues.
True, and look what it took for that to happen? A TON of $$ thrown around for the sports venue's. Most places don't have that.

Dayton's revitalization because of the Dragon's stadium, at least regionally, was something other cities looked at.

I recall Ft Wayne TV news teams using the Dragon's area in Dayton as the benchmark as to why their new Wizards (now tin caps after they moved) stadium should be down town.

Ironically, for myself, I used to attend multiple Wizards games in Ft Wayne when they were in the old place, but now with them downtown I haven't.

Toledo is nice with the new ballpark and their hockey arena....WOW is that nice!
Old 05-21-19, 10:26 PM
All Ohio

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Not only did we have those rotary phones but we had only 1 and it was usually located in the kitchen. The hardest thing to do as a teenage boy was to call up a girl for a date knowing that your family is listening and probably the girls dad picked up the call and her family was also listening.

This. 100% this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-19, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

fortfan is on a distinguished road
Bubble gum with your baseball cards.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now.

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank.

Dimmer switch on the floor.
Old 05-22-19, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now.

Bubble gum with your baseball cards. Hard as a rock single stick.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore. I never traded $hit. My cards were always worn to the bone as I studied every darn stat I could on a guy.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven. Did not have a microwave until I was 15. Everything had to be heated that way or using the open flame on the stove-top.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now. We always had the knock-off "sugar crisps"

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank. Nothing but

I also remember everyone was skinny. The fat kid from my neighborhood would not be considered fat today. If you are over 40 you have to remember that most of us did not have jack$hit in the fridge. Usually a gallon of milk, some cheese, a hunk of bolgna, and a couple condiments unlike today with all the pop, juice, and everything else under the sun.
Old 05-22-19, 01:01 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
When did they invent kale? Who was it first said, "hey, we should eat this green plastic $hit."

And what happened to the parsley they used to decorate the edge of the plate in EVERY small mom-pop restaurant and fancy? I want my parsley.
Old 05-22-19, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

B....

Well it might work 1 time / after that the Micro-wave likely won't work.

Three on the tree (stick shift); 3 forward gears / 1 reverse gear on the column.

SF

Old 05-22-19, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Halloween
Old 05-22-19, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Columbus Day
Old 05-22-19, 08:28 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Bubble gum with your baseball cards. Hard as a rock single stick.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore. I never traded $hit. My cards were always worn to the bone as I studied every darn stat I could on a guy.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven. Did not have a microwave until I was 15. Everything had to be heated that way or using the open flame on the stove-top.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now. We always had the knock-off "sugar crisps"

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank. Nothing but

I also remember everyone was skinny. The fat kid from my neighborhood would not be considered fat today. If you are over 40 you have to remember that most of us did not have jack$hit in the fridge. Usually a gallon of milk, some cheese, a hunk of bolgna, and a couple condiments unlike today with all the pop, juice, and everything else under the sun.
^ This. And, if the cereal (Cheerios) was not sugar-coated, you piled the sugar on. When all the cereal was gone, you were left with the prize at the bottom - milk-soaked sugar!

and

^ This. I was short and stocky - and thought I was fat. Looking back at a picture of me and my three brothers, we were all slender by today's standards. Of course, we played whatever sport was in season at the time vs. staring at a screen all the time - like we do now.
Old 05-23-19, 05:17 AM
All Yappi

Sugar Crisp...

with Sugar Bear

AND --- in the summer with out air-conditioning you didn't have a box of cereal

you had a BRICK of cereal.

EGA
Old 05-23-19, 06:18 AM
All American

Being served a small meal on a domestic flight without being asked. And do airlines still provide decent meals on overseas flights as part of your ticket price?

My first time on a plane in 1984, had a sandwich, chips, and drink from Columbus to Atlanta, then chips and a drink from Atlanta to Orlando. Same thing on the return flights.

A year later, we got served dinner about 9 PM just out of New York, then breakfast just before landing at Brussels.

BTW, I just bought a new(er) truck over the weekend, my second one. 2011 Silverado. You have to crank the windows, reach over for the manual door locks - and no cruise control. Primitive. But I got it for a good price.
Old 05-23-19, 03:52 PM
All American

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
And what happened to the parsley they used to decorate the edge of the plate in EVERY small mom-pop restaurant and fancy? I want my parsley.
Or as my granddaughter said years ago when we went to a restaurant with plates like this, "Grandpa, can I have you and Grammys little trees?"
Old 05-23-19, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest
parsley
Or as my granddaughter said years ago when we went to a restaurant with plates like this, "Grandpa, can I have you and Grammys little trees?"

I mighta shared.
Old 05-25-19, 08:34 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
The roto man at Geauga Lake!
The big mentally slow guy that would hide behind the door to ride again, thinking he fooled the ride operator ? That guy ? LOL

I saw him at either the Summit or Portage Fair 6 or 8 years ago, doing the same thing. Happy as a pig in sh1t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
Also there used to be tons of company picnis in the pavilion area. My friends and I would act like kids of employees and eat free dogs and burgers. Great times. Loved Geauga Lake.
Did that twice myself
Old 05-25-19, 08:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Those windows were a godsend. Wish I had them on my '91 Sonoma, which has virtually no ventilation.
Vent windows were awesome
Old 05-25-19, 08:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

The last truck I had with one of these had a short that got it glowing like an old cigarette light. Carpet got a bit crispy ! No fuse protection, but it stopped with the lights off. Crazy.
Old 05-25-19, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Well it might work 1 time / after that the Micro-wave likely won't work.

Three on the tree (stick shift); 3 forward gears / 1 reverse gear on the column.

SF

Clutch: optional!

Short '60 Falcoln van, three on the tree, in the back field. Dad's old tool truck. That was the first street legal thing I drove, even before the big tractor. Turning too fast and sending tools flying LOL

He would have killed me if I rolled it.
Old 05-25-19, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Sugar Crisp...

with Sugar Bear

AND --- in the summer with out air-conditioning you didn't have a box of cereal

you had a BRICK of cereal.

EGA
What about.....

KaBOOM!! cereal ? Basically a Lucky Charms ripoff, iirc
Old 05-25-19, 09:11 PM
All American

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't re-read the thread so someone may have mentioned it. What about the heater in a car being down at the feet of the passenger in the front seat? Hand signals for turns before turning signals came on the scene.
Old 05-25-19, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

Pay phones
Pagers
Pinball machines
Arcades
3/2 beer
Seatbelts optional
Automatic seatbelts
Change machines
Bowling alleys
Novelty machine in the men's room.
Cigarette vending machines (I think this was mentioned)
Corner stores not ran by Arabs. Ones that had delis and sold whatever the chains had but in smaller doses. You could purchase on consignment. A 12 year old could buy cigs and beer for a parent. Lol.
Grandma never drove so she'd walk to the corner carryout (German owned) and buy things like pumpernickel break and pickle loaf deli meat (is that still a thing?).
Neighborhood sports stores. E. Toledo had Reddish bros. which sold brands like Nokona and MacGregor.
Old 05-26-19, 06:28 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Sunday car rides with the family.

Isaly's in W.PA. original home of the Klondike Bar.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: