Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 05-20-19, 05:40 AM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,712
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Recaps... Tires... 4 for $40 + your 4 old tires (must be good cores).
Most of the big tire stores sold them.

SOHIO (Standard Oil of Ohio) had a promo where they gave away free money and
gas. Just match the license plate number on your car to a published list that was
displayed at the service station.

License plate key fobs; you got this in the mail as a ad gimmick ( I think from AAA),
attach to your key ring: it had your cars plate number (mini Ohio plate) and on the
reverse... "If found drop in any Mail Box" ...the Post Office would send the keys
to the address on the back and the sponsor would send the lost keys back to you.


Hotel keys (metal ones); they had a fob with the hotel name on it and a similar
message to drop in any mail box if found. Room numbers were engraved on the key.

:>---

SF
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-20-19, 07:23 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 2,350
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Opera windows? I'm pretty sure they're extinct on "regular" cars, but still may be available in Cadillacs and Town Cars. I took Drivers Ed in a Chevy Malibu, and our parallel parking instructions included sighting the curbside bumper of the car behind you thru the opera window. The car I took my road test in also had one, so I passed easily. Nowadays I just guess.

That reminds me - the triangle car vent windows. Probably killed off once most cars were built with AC.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-20-19, 08:06 AM
19AL63 19AL63 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-21-11
Posts: 3,353
19AL63 is on a distinguished road
The side window was killed off when someone realized how much cheaper it was to make a car without a vent window.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 05-20-19, 09:58 AM
WarriorDee WarriorDee is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-17-03
Location: The Big Wigwam by Wyoga
Posts: 828
WarriorDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Ok all you Clevelanders who remembers Big Chuck and Hoolihan? Mushmouth Marietta?
Mushmouth Mariano Pacetti.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010...etti_orga.html
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 05-20-19, 10:55 AM
rghrider98 rghrider98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-28-06
Posts: 910
rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Geauga Lake Amusement Park was awesome. Great fun a few times a summer when I was younger, we'd sneak in at night when we were old enough to drive there as teenagers. Often tripping....bright lights!!

You could park at the Lawson's across the street, and go by this little separate swimming beach. There was a block wall about 5-6 foot high, walling off the amusement park from the swim club, right by the park's security office. If you went close to the lake, there were bushes on the park side. You'd hop there, and then make sure no one was looking out the office. I think I only paid maybe twice, because I was with a date, after we found out how easy it was to sneak in.
The roto man at Geauga Lake!

Also there used to be tons of company picnis in the pavilion area. My friends and I would act like kids of employees and eat free dogs and burgers. Great times. Loved Geauga Lake.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-20-19, 08:49 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 2,972
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Opera windows? I'm pretty sure they're extinct on "regular" cars, but still may be available in Cadillacs and Town Cars. I took Drivers Ed in a Chevy Malibu, and our parallel parking instructions included sighting the curbside bumper of the car behind you thru the opera window. The car I took my road test in also had one, so I passed easily. Nowadays I just guess.

That reminds me - the triangle car vent windows. Probably killed off once most cars were built with AC.
Those windows were a godsend. Wish I had them on my '91 Sonoma, which has virtually no ventilation.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 05-21-19, 07:45 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,209
thavoice is on a distinguished road
How about this one....

Thriving down town businesses.


Seems like more and more downtown businesses just cannot keep up. "Back in the day" many of these places had apartments above their place of business and they lived there but now everyone was the big ole house and many of those small places cannot keep up.

Parking in many downtowns is just atrocious, and with less and less people learning how to parallel park some are even afraid to try and just keep on driving if there isn't two spots together so they can slide on in.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-21-19, 08:18 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,611
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Great point, but it is coming back. Look at Pittsburgh. Even cities like Toledo and Dayton are budding with new investment pushed by new sports venues.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-21-19, 08:30 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 2,350
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

Parking in many downtowns is just atrocious, and with less and less people learning how to parallel park some are even afraid to try and just keep on driving if there isn't two spots together so they can slide on in.
And the parallel parking part of the exam for your driver's license is all but gone. I read where a few states still have it, though?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 05-21-19, 08:56 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,209
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Great point, but it is coming back. Look at Pittsburgh. Even cities like Toledo and Dayton are budding with new investment pushed by new sports venues.
True, and look what it took for that to happen? A TON of $$ thrown around for the sports venue's. Most places don't have that.


Dayton's revitalization because of the Dragon's stadium, at least regionally, was something other cities looked at.

I recall Ft Wayne TV news teams using the Dragon's area in Dayton as the benchmark as to why their new Wizards (now tin caps after they moved) stadium should be down town.

Ironically, for myself, I used to attend multiple Wizards games in Ft Wayne when they were in the old place, but now with them downtown I haven't.


Toledo is nice with the new ballpark and their hockey arena....WOW is that nice!
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 05-21-19, 10:26 PM
hoban2020 hoban2020 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-31-13
Posts: 515
hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Not only did we have those rotary phones but we had only 1 and it was usually located in the kitchen. The hardest thing to do as a teenage boy was to call up a girl for a date knowing that your family is listening and probably the girls dad picked up the call and her family was also listening.

This. 100% this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-22-19, 09:50 AM
fortfan fortfan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-26-08
Location: Fort Recovery, Ohio
Posts: 524
fortfan is on a distinguished road
Bubble gum with your baseball cards.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now.

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank.

Dimmer switch on the floor.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-22-19, 10:14 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,611
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post
Bubble gum with your baseball cards.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now.

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank.

Dimmer switch on the floor.
Bubble gum with your baseball cards. Hard as a rock single stick.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore. I never traded $hit. My cards were always worn to the bone as I studied every darn stat I could on a guy.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven. Did not have a microwave until I was 15. Everything had to be heated that way or using the open flame on the stove-top.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now. We always had the knock-off "sugar crisps"

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank. Nothing but

I also remember everyone was skinny. The fat kid from my neighborhood would not be considered fat today. If you are over 40 you have to remember that most of us did not have jack$hit in the fridge. Usually a gallon of milk, some cheese, a hunk of bolgna, and a couple condiments unlike today with all the pop, juice, and everything else under the sun.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-22-19, 01:01 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,544
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
When did they invent kale? Who was it first said, "hey, we should eat this green plastic $hit."


And what happened to the parsley they used to decorate the edge of the plate in EVERY small mom-pop restaurant and fancy? I want my parsley.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-22-19, 01:21 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,712
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post

...
TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven.

B....

Well it might work 1 time / after that the Micro-wave likely won't work.




Three on the tree (stick shift); 3 forward gears / 1 reverse gear on the column.

:>---

SF

:>---
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 05-22-19, 01:27 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,544
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Halloween
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 05-22-19, 02:17 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,923
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Columbus Day
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 05-22-19, 08:28 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 2,972
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Bubble gum with your baseball cards. Hard as a rock single stick.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore. I never traded $hit. My cards were always worn to the bone as I studied every darn stat I could on a guy.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven. Did not have a microwave until I was 15. Everything had to be heated that way or using the open flame on the stove-top.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now. We always had the knock-off "sugar crisps"

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank. Nothing but

I also remember everyone was skinny. The fat kid from my neighborhood would not be considered fat today. If you are over 40 you have to remember that most of us did not have jack$hit in the fridge. Usually a gallon of milk, some cheese, a hunk of bolgna, and a couple condiments unlike today with all the pop, juice, and everything else under the sun.
^ This. And, if the cereal (Cheerios) was not sugar-coated, you piled the sugar on. When all the cereal was gone, you were left with the prize at the bottom - milk-soaked sugar!

and

^ This. I was short and stocky - and thought I was fat. Looking back at a picture of me and my three brothers, we were all slender by today's standards. Of course, we played whatever sport was in season at the time vs. staring at a screen all the time - like we do now.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 05-23-19, 05:17 AM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,712
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Sugar Crisp...

with Sugar Bear

AND --- in the summer with out air-conditioning you didn't have a box of cereal

you had a BRICK of cereal.

:>---

EGA
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 05-23-19, 06:18 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 2,350
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Being served a small meal on a domestic flight without being asked. And do airlines still provide decent meals on overseas flights as part of your ticket price?

My first time on a plane in 1984, had a sandwich, chips, and drink from Columbus to Atlanta, then chips and a drink from Atlanta to Orlando. Same thing on the return flights.

A year later, we got served dinner about 9 PM just out of New York, then breakfast just before landing at Brussels.

* * * * *

BTW, I just bought a new(er) truck over the weekend, my second one. 2011 Silverado. You have to crank the windows, reach over for the manual door locks - and no cruise control. Primitive. But I got it for a good price.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 05-23-19, 03:52 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 1,232
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
...
And what happened to the parsley they used to decorate the edge of the plate in EVERY small mom-pop restaurant and fancy? I want my parsley.
Or as my granddaughter said years ago when we went to a restaurant with plates like this, "Grandpa, can I have you and Grammys little trees?"
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 05-23-19, 09:10 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,544
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest
parsley
Or as my granddaughter said years ago when we went to a restaurant with plates like this, "Grandpa, can I have you and Grammys little trees?"





I mighta shared.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 05-25-19, 08:34 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 36,107
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
The roto man at Geauga Lake!
The big mentally slow guy that would hide behind the door to ride again, thinking he fooled the ride operator ? That guy ? LOL

I saw him at either the Summit or Portage Fair 6 or 8 years ago, doing the same thing. Happy as a pig in sh1t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghrider98 View Post
Also there used to be tons of company picnis in the pavilion area. My friends and I would act like kids of employees and eat free dogs and burgers. Great times. Loved Geauga Lake.
Did that twice myself
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 05-25-19, 08:35 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 36,107
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Those windows were a godsend. Wish I had them on my '91 Sonoma, which has virtually no ventilation.
Vent windows were awesome
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 05-25-19, 08:40 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 36,107
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post
Bubble gum with your baseball cards.

I know baseball cards are still around, but I do't think "kids" collect them much anymore.

TV dinners in an aluminum tray. That aluminum won't work in a microwave.....had to be heated in the oven.

Breakfast Cereal with "Sugar" in the name. Used to be "Sugar Frosted Flakes" and "Super Sugar Crisp" were my favorites. Sugar is a dirty work now.

Cars with windows that roll-up with a crank.

Dimmer switch on the floor.
The last truck I had with one of these had a short that got it glowing like an old cigarette light. Carpet got a bit crispy ! No fuse protection, but it stopped with the lights off. Crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 05-25-19, 08:52 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 36,107
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Well it might work 1 time / after that the Micro-wave likely won't work.




Three on the tree (stick shift); 3 forward gears / 1 reverse gear on the column.

:>---

SF

:>---

Clutch: optional!

Short '60 Falcoln van, three on the tree, in the back field. Dad's old tool truck. That was the first street legal thing I drove, even before the big tractor. Turning too fast and sending tools flying LOL

He would have killed me if I rolled it.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 05-25-19, 08:54 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 36,107
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Sugar Crisp...

with Sugar Bear

AND --- in the summer with out air-conditioning you didn't have a box of cereal

you had a BRICK of cereal.

:>---

EGA
What about.....


KaBOOM!! cereal ? Basically a Lucky Charms ripoff, iirc
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 05-25-19, 09:11 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 1,232
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't re-read the thread so someone may have mentioned it. What about the heater in a car being down at the feet of the passenger in the front seat? Hand signals for turns before turning signals came on the scene.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 05-25-19, 10:06 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,611
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Pay phones
Pagers
Pinball machines
Arcades
3/2 beer
Seatbelts optional
Automatic seatbelts
Change machines
Bowling alleys
Novelty machine in the men's room.
Cigarette vending machines (I think this was mentioned)
Corner stores not ran by Arabs. Ones that had delis and sold whatever the chains had but in smaller doses. You could purchase on consignment. A 12 year old could buy cigs and beer for a parent. Lol.
Grandma never drove so she'd walk to the corner carryout (German owned) and buy things like pumpernickel break and pickle loaf deli meat (is that still a thing?).
Neighborhood sports stores. E. Toledo had Reddish bros. which sold brands like Nokona and MacGregor.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 05-26-19, 06:28 AM
Irwin20 Irwin20 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 08-14-11
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,007
Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Sunday car rides with the family.

Isaly's in W.PA. original home of the Klondike Bar.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz