Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 07-12-19, 07:34 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
When I was a kid, I read all the sports books of the time: Ball Four (Jim Bouton), Paper Lion (George Plimpton), Instant Replay (Jerry Kramer), Can't Anybody Here Play This Game? (Jimmy Breslin), I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow...'Cause I Get Better Looking Everyday (Joe Willie Namath), etc. Plus biographies of Pete Rose, Wilt Chamberlain, Pete Maravich and any book I could get my hands on. Some were a bit "adult" for a grade schooler but I loved it...such as, Bouton talking about "greenies" (amphetamines); Namath talking about losing his virginity and his fondness for Scotch; etc.

These players were bigger than life to me, and I loved how the books gave me an "inside" peek into the world of pro sports.
Read most of those, also. Not on this list, but a local favorite of mine was 1965's "Return to Glory" by Bill Levy, about the Cleveland Browns.

Mark Kriegel wrote a really good biography on Pete Maravich in 2008 and then followed with a great one about Youngstown's Ray Boom Boom Mancini ("The Good Son") in 2012. Highly recommend both to all posters in this thread.
Old 07-13-19, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
When I was a kid, I read all the sports books of the time: Ball Four (Jim Bouton), Paper Lion (George Plimpton), Instant Replay (Jerry Kramer), Can't Anybody Here Play This Game? (Jimmy Breslin), I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow...'Cause I Get Better Looking Everyday (Joe Willie Namath), etc. Plus biographies of Pete Rose, Wilt Chamberlain, Pete Maravich and any book I could get my hands on. Some were a bit "adult" for a grade schooler but I loved it...such as, Bouton talking about "greenies" (amphetamines); Namath talking about losing his virginity and his fondness for Scotch; etc.

These players were bigger than life to me, and I loved how the books gave me an "inside" peek into the world of pro sports.
I have Strike Zone which was co-authored by Bouton but never read it. Also on my bookshelf are Namath's book (IIRC, D. Schaap was the collaborator) and his mom's Namath My Son Joe along with Rising Tide: Bear Bryant, Joe Namath, and Dixieland's Last Quarter which was the product of extensive interviewing of Namath by the authors Randy Roberts and Ed Krzemienski. It's an interesting period in U. of Alabama history given that Bear Bryant hadn't been on the job long, and the university was in the process of becoming integrated.

Additionally, I have:
The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence S. Ritter - Ritter conducted individual interviews with a collection of baseball players whose careers ranged from 1898 to 1947.

Curses! Why Cleveland Sports Fans Deserve to be Miserable by Tim Long - It came out in 2005.

Cleveland Sports Legends: The 20 Most Glorious & Gut-Wrenching Moments of All-Time by longtime NEO newspaper columnist Bob Dyer.

The View From Pluto by Terry Pluto - a collection of his Sunday sports columns when he was still at the Akron Beacon Journal.

False Start: How the New Browns Were Set up to Fail by Terry Pluto - a description of the chain of events and circumstances that led to the Browns' inauspicious return to the NFL in '99.

The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance by SI writer David Epstein - My favorite of the bunch in that it puts the longtime myth of "if you work hard enough..." in its proper place. There are reasons why Kenyans are great marathon runners, Jamaicans are more successful at sprinting, or why the random person might find success in a specific sport with little to no effort. Lastly, it's simply an interesting book that I couldn't put down.
Old 07-13-19, 05:36 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
... Also on my bookshelf are Namath's book (IIRC, D. Schaap was the collaborator) ...
As well as collaborating on Broadway Joe's book, Schaap also collaborated on Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay" book.

Those football jocks took too many knocks to the noggin to write bestseller books on their own.
Old 07-13-19, 05:59 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Sort of a melancholy moment last night as Peter Frampton, who lived in Cincinnati for 15-20 years until his divorce a few years ago, played at Riverbend as part of his Farewell Tour.

It's a shame that he has an incurable condition which causes the muscles to weaken over time. Needless to say, this will affect his incredible guitar abilities. He is touring now -- while his skills are still fine -- in order to leave his fans good performances to remember him by.

I saw that he played for almost 2 1/2 hours straight, only stopping for a break before the encore. It was as if he didn't want to say goodbye to his former compatriots in the Queen City.

What a wonderful career for a very talented musician.
Old 07-13-19, 08:26 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Monclova - check my post 7406.

(p.s. - it's all melancholy.)

Saw Yesterday last night and Rocketman tonight. Worth the ticket.
Old 07-13-19, 09:21 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Hubby and I are going to see "Yesterday" probably next weekend.

I had "Frampton Comes Alive" and played it all the time on my pretty little black stereo with blue lights that I bought with my own money. I loved that thing.

A guy I knew back then is the one who shouts "All night!" durng a lull in the "Do You Feel Like I Do?" break.
Old 07-13-19, 10:35 PM
All Region

This one has been a recent favorite of mine...
Old 07-14-19, 08:10 AM
All American

I have read excellent books on Maravich and Namath in the last decade. I liked the Hurricane Carter book. Loose Balls by Terry Pluto is a fun and interesting read about the A.B.A.

There is a book I have mentioned on here before about a minor league baseball game called Bottom of the 33rd. Great slender book about a game between Rochester and Pawtuckett that lasted eight hours. The game featured Ripken and Boggs and many guys had double figure at bats and included one with 14 plate appearances.

The game was suspended on Easter morning, around 4:00 a.m. with a hint of daybreak in the Eastern sky. There were 19 fans and two reporters when the game was suspended at 4:09. (Sort of makes you wonder at what point after midnight was it too late to finish?!)

The historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, herself a die hard baseball fan, wrote a book about the Brooklyn Dodgers and her life growing up in N.Y. in the 50's. Doris would keep a precise box score for her dad during the game so he could follow it when he got home from work.

Very nostalgic with stoops and corner candy stores. The name of the book is Wait Til Next Year. The ultimate baseball fan's lament of optimism, the proclamation indicating that there is always a next year.

Last edited by Bevo; 07-14-19 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 08:11 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of this one:

https://www.ebay.com/i/122977643855?...YaAkmQEALw_wcB

I can't figure out how to copy a picture or video onto here.
Old 07-14-19, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Reminds me of this one:

https://www.ebay.com/i/122977643855?...YaAkmQEALw_wcB

I can't figure out how to copy a picture or video onto here.

to copy the image (picture)

place cursor over the image ~ right click

A box should pop up...
for Google chrome select option copy image address ~ with cursor & left click

for widows a box will pop up/ select properties ~ (it's on the bottom) left click
a new box will open ~place cursor over the address (URL) / right click and copy

in you reply box on yappi right click and paste...

the url-address should now be readable.

in front of the address put img inside of brackets and at the end of the urlput a /img inside of brackets.

that's it!

To see what it looks like quote this post and you can see the structure.

videos are a little different.

:>---

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-19, 10:18 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

A guy I knew back then is the one who shouts "All night!" durng a lull in the "Do You Feel Like I Do?" break.
It couldn't have been him. That was me!
Old 07-14-19, 12:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Monclova - check my post 7406.

(p.s. - it's all melancholy.)

Saw Yesterday last night and Rocketman tonight. Worth the ticket.
Bevo....Yes, I'm still around and watching/enjoying the postings on the thread.

50th reunion? I haven't heard a thing. To be honest, I think of my closest friends from those days often, but -- having moved away from the area over 30 years ago -- my high school days are faint memories. My best friends from back then live in my thoughts, though.
Old 07-14-19, 01:34 PM
All American

That's interesting. I've heard of some small districts not bothering.

Upper Sandusky is just big enough and enough people are "around" (maybe within 60 miles) that I believe the reunions are well attended.

This woman I spoke of does a book and we have e-mails for everyone.

Having said all of this, I have never gone - even though I have basically lived here my whole life. Just not me.
Old 07-14-19, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
That's interesting. I've heard of some small districts not bothering.

Upper Sandusky is just big enough and enough people are "around" (maybe within 60 miles) that I believe the reunions are well attended.

This woman I spoke of does a book and we have e-mails for everyone.

Having said all of this, I have never gone - even though I have basically lived here my whole life. Just not me.
Not sure how it works elsewhere, but at my school, the job of planning the reunions falls to whomever was the senior class president. I have no idea what happens if and when that person should pass. This year is my 20th. Graduating class was in the low 140s. I can't recall what they did for 10 years, but I didn't attend. For 15, it was some gathering at a trendy local restaurant that I didn't attend. From the pic, it looked like maybe 20 people attended. For this one, they want us to attend a home football game and then go to some local brewery the next night.

The people I'd be most interested in seeing are usually the ones who don't attend these gatherings, so I don't go.

For my parents, next year will be their 50th. They do the reunions every 5 years, but they have also done things like a collective 50th and 60th birthday party. This past year, they did a "Social Security/Retirement Party" since the majority of the class members would've turned 67.

My uncle's grade school class holds an informal reunion every September.
Old 07-14-19, 07:37 PM
All Region

I was my class vice president , but haven't had any involvement with the reunions. There were 210 graduates in 1973.

We had a 10th (attended), a 20th (attended), and a 30th (did not attend). Nothing since, at least to my knowledge; plus we missed a chance last year at a 45th~as a tune-up for a potential 50th, which may or may not happen in 2023.
Old 07-15-19, 05:36 AM
All American

With social media, the desire to reconnect has been greatly reduced. Unless by choice, it's pretty difficult not to stay in touch or to know what's up with old classmates - if you want to know.
Old 07-15-19, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

Birthdays today....

Here are 2....

====

Linda Ronstadt DOB (July 15, 1946 ~ age 72)
(I remember when The Eagles opened for her on tour.

More on Ms.Ronstadt... ( many awards... including Hollywood 'Walk of Fame' + Rock & Roll HOF )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Ronstadt

Wiki...
Quote:
Retirement
In 2011, Ronstadt was interviewed by the Arizona Daily Star and announced her retirement. In August 2013, she revealed to AARP that she has Parkinson's disease and "can no longer sing a note."

---
LR ~ interview

'pup note glad I got to see her live once...and in my massive collection of LP's,
I have several of hers.

=====
=====

Alex Karras (July 15, 1935 ~ October 10, 2012 / @ 77)
~~~ Football player - Media - Actor

Short stint as a pro wrestler.

Pro football...
Detroit Lions
4x Pro Bowl (1960–1962, 1965)
4 First-team All-Pro (1960–1962, 1965)
5 Second-team All-Pro (1964, 1966–1969)
NFL 1960s All-Decade team
Named to Lions' All-Time team

College...
Iowa
Outland Trophy (1957)
~ finished #2 for the Heisman (1957)
2 First-team All-American (1956, 1957)
Iowa Sports Hall of Fame (1977)
Iowa Hawkeye All-Time Team (1989)
College football HOF (1991)
B1G (Big Ten Network) Karras named to "The Mount Rushmore of Iowa Football" (2014)

High School...
Emerson High School Gary, Indiana
4x Indiana all-state selection

Commentator on Monday Night Football ~ 3 seasons.

Film: Paper Lion / Against All Odds / Blazing Saddles / Victor/Victoria
TV" series, Webster

Mongo ~ Blazing Saddles

TV ~ Webster

SALT
Old 07-15-19, 01:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

For my parents, next year will be their 50th.
Oh, Mr. Slippery....Did you say your PARENTS????

Here I've been thinking that we're pretty much compaderes as far as (if not age exactly) generational familiarity. Now, I have to face the fact that I (not to mention Bevo -- although I just did) am the same age as your Mom and Dad? Pardon me, but it just came as sort of a shock.

Oh well. Since your parents raised such a good guy, then perhaps I feel a little better about equaling them in age. Hopefully I have grown as wise as they must be.
Old 07-15-19, 04:18 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Yes, me too. I was waiting for a correction. Now, where's my cane?
Old 07-15-19, 04:36 PM
All American

You guys are going to have to speak up!
Old 07-15-19, 05:52 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Yes, me too. I was waiting for a correction. Now, where's my cane?

Windows kicked me off my old laptop - sometimes I try to get the old girl to do more, faster than she wants to - and was not sure this posted before I got kicked off.

As it turns out, it gave me an opp to speak up for the oldsters here. If I have to repeat myself again, I will put the message in all caps!
Old 07-16-19, 05:32 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post

As it turns out, it gave me an opp to speak up for the oldsters here. If I have to repeat myself again, I will put the message in all caps!
Way...Waaaayyyy... Waaaaayyyyyyyy.... BACK

CAPS WERE THE ONLY LETTERS THAT COMPUTERS WOULD USE!!!

SALT
Old 07-17-19, 11:15 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
This software is being retired. You can find this thread on the new software here:

http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?thr...92912/page-372

Please move to the new software to carry on with this thread...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: