Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 07-12-19, 03:59 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Chris Herren - Unguarded - The First Day

Hey Yappi folks, I know we banter on here all the time about mostly silly stuff, but set your DVR's next week for Tuesday night. If you remember the basketball player Chris Herren from the late 80's/ 90's Boston College, Fresno State with Tark, then drafted to the Nuggetts , then traded to the Celtics. Herren battled drug addiction his entire career and it nearly killed him. At 32 he got sober and remains that way to today.
He now speaks nationally to all kinds of audiences, started his own foundation and really tries to make an impact in people's lives.

The ESPN documentary Unguarded is on Tuesday night, followed by a new film, The First Day. I feel it's must watch TV!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-19, 07:37 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Hey Yappi folks, I know we banter on here all the time about mostly silly stuff, but set your DVR's next week for Tuesday night. If you remember the basketball player Chris Herren from the late 80's/ 90's Boston College, Fresno State with Tark, then drafted to the Nuggetts , then traded to the Celtics. Herren battled drug addiction his entire career and it nearly killed him. At 32 he got sober and remains that way to today.
He now speaks nationally to all kinds of audiences, started his own foundation and really tries to make an impact in people's lives.

The ESPN documentary Unguarded is on Tuesday night, followed by a new film, The First Day. I feel it's must watch TV!!
Good for him! And, I mean that in the nice way. Any idea what The First Day is about?
Old 07-15-19, 09:24 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Good for him! And, I mean that in the nice way. Any idea what The First Day is about?
Herren started public speaking about addiction and his struggles 9 years ago. The first several years, it was his story, his downward spiral of his life, which was so sad. A first round pick, NBA player, blew all his money on drugs, eventually went overseas to play and blew all that money as well.
A few years ago, he started talking about "why" and not the rock bottom days of addiction, but the first day. He speaks to alot of schools, so his message is more about not starting. Not sneaking beers and starting to smoke cigarettes, then pot, then etc.

This is kind of controversial because many people, with states legalizing pot, is kind of polarizing. Addiction is a gigantic epidemic in this country, and many people just don't see it.

I hope it gets alot of attention Tuesday night, and ESPN reruns it over and over like they do with alot of their programming. By the time someone is addicted, it's too late, let's nip it in the bud.
Old 07-15-19, 09:26 AM
All Ohio

fortfan is on a distinguished road
I have heard him speak in person. Pretty powerful message.
Old 07-15-19, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Go Nuggetts! Lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: