Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #1  
Old 07-11-19, 10:21 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,926
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Hamsterdam to Become a Reality?

Leaders From 13 States Urge Federal Court To Allow Supervised Injection Sites: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...njection-sites

Basically the top officials from 13 states are joining Philadelphia in urging a federal court to allow a site to open where people can inject illegal opioids under medical supervision. Sounds like legalizing drug use to me just like Hamstredam from the Wire>

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-11-19, 10:46 AM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 56,977
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Dumb idea but not surprised with the direction this country is headed regarding substance abuse.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-19, 10:51 AM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,831
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
People should be allowed to ingest any substance into their bodies that they choose. The consequences, however, should fall entirely on them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-19, 12:19 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 8,548
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Dumb idea but not surprised with the direction this country is headed regarding substance abuse.
Why is it a dumb idea? Some evidence suggests that safe injection sites are a net positive to our drug problem. We NEED to be trying new things. Too many people want to continue on with the same drug policies that have utterly failed us for decades. It's time people pulled their head from their backside and realize it hasn't worked and will never work.

What's The Evidence That Supervised Drug Injection Sites Save Lives?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-19, 12:25 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,546
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
People should be allowed to ingest any substance into their bodies that they choose. The consequences, however, should fall entirely on them.
What do those consequences cost the rest of us? A tough line in the sand to define.


I see your point but when we're talking about substances that can addict instantaneously or even have track record of spiral, I think it's a mistake to legitimize trial. But I am falling further into the legalization as long as it can never affect me group as a moral alternative to current reality. And consequences that can be applied? Medical will never have the right to NOT treat. Crimes commited under addiction still cost the rest of us both in the crime and the incarceration. I think there are still a large majority that do not do things because Society has said it's "illegal," "immoral,"....


OT: just watched the wire for the first time. It was good not great. I'm really not getting why it's rated any better than anyother cop show, let alone the best series ever. I think it just hit early some alt-lifestyle choices that the critical press was looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-19, 12:41 PM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 2,350
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
We NEED to make it more convenient for people to abuse themselves and cause pain for their loved ones.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-19, 01:52 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,219
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Pro Choice: Their body, so they can do anything they want with it whether it be drugs or killing a baby.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-19, 02:32 PM
Belly35 Belly35 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-22-11
Location: Eve of destruction
Posts: 304
Belly35 is on a distinguished road
Give out drugs a destroy another aspect of fiber socially sustainable society but take away my grease so good fries
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-19, 02:55 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 2,710
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Just make it legal
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-19, 03:15 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,219
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Just make it legal
In terms of making things legal like this...Not a fan.

I believe a large segment of the population don't do a lot of things simply because they are illegal. Make more things legal I believe will lead to more people doing it generations ahead because it never had the illegal stigma to it.

For me, Marijuana will always be a no go as up till this point in my life it was always illegal, and hence bad. Too late in the game to change my mind, but moving fwd more will do it not even having that label attached to it.


I realize your comment likely was sarcastic but my comments still stand
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-11-19, 03:24 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 8,548
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I believe a large segment of the population don't do a lot of things simply because they are illegal. Make more things legal I believe will lead to more people doing it generations ahead because it never had the illegal stigma to it.
The exact opposite may actually be true.

Most teens report using marijuana less often after legalization

In States With Legal Medical Pot, Teen Use Is Down

I always liked what Ron Paul said:

Quote:
Up until this past century, you know for over 100 years they were legal. What you're inferring is, 'You know what, if we legalize heroin tomorrow everyone's going to use heroin'. How many people here would use heroin if it was legal? I bet nobody would put there hand up, 'Oh yeah I need the government to take care of me, I don't want to use heroin so I need these laws!'.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-11-19, 03:33 PM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,875
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
People should be allowed to ingest any substance into their bodies that they choose. The consequences, however, should fall entirely on them.
Agreed 100%

Tired of paying education to stop people from doing drugs, police to catch people starting drugs and doctors to meditate people who did drugs.

Legalize everything and let the chips fall where they may. It’s a free country kill yourself as you please but stop stealing my tax dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-19, 04:09 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,546
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
They're not stealing yours. They're using mine. They're stealing mine for your bloated military (or whatever your favorite tax supported bloat might be).


Asking honestly and seriously, you think taxes would get reduced or would they just be put somewhere else? Be nice to see them go to infrastruture and REAL neighborhood police work instead of jails.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-19, 07:08 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 12,037
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Our society drives me nuts in that the pendulum always seems to have to swing all of the way one way or the other. We've gone from an abstinence and tough on drugs attitude all of the way back to a very tolerant view. There are far more common sense positions in the middle.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-19, 09:15 PM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,875
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
They're not stealing yours. They're using mine. They're stealing mine for your bloated military (or whatever your favorite tax supported bloat might be).
I donít have a favorite... taxation is theft


Quote:
Asking honestly and seriously, you think taxes would get reduced or would they just be put somewhere else? Be nice to see them go to infrastruture and REAL neighborhood police work instead of jails.
Iíd eliminate income and business tax. OK with road levies although EZPass to pay for fixing potholes should limit those
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-11-19, 10:06 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 56,977
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Our society drives me nuts in that the pendulum always seems to have to swing all of the way one way or the other. We've gone from an abstinence and tough on drugs attitude all of the way back to a very tolerant view. There are far more common sense positions in the middle.
I've wondered if that is because the Boomers were very open to drug use and now their children (Millennials) have a similar mindset. Now that Generation Z is starting to come of age, will that pendulum swing back a little toward the anti-drug crowd.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-19, 10:08 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 56,977
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
For me, Marijuana will always be a no go as up till this point in my life it was always illegal, and hence bad. Too late in the game to change my mind, but moving fwd more will do it not even having that label attached to it.
Agreed. IMO, it will always be forbidden but I think kids growing up today will look at it like we did alcohol.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-19, 11:05 PM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,875
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've wondered if that is because the Boomers were very open to drug use and now their children (Millennials) have a similar mindset. Now that Generation Z is starting to come of age, will that pendulum swing back a little toward the anti-drug crowd.
I think you often see kids of drug addicts more opposed based on watching/being embarrassed by what it did to their parents
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-12-19, 05:43 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 36,143
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
We NEED to make it more convenient for people to abuse themselves and cause pain for their loved ones.
So true
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-12-19, 07:13 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,812
Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
We NEED the government to make decisions for us.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-12-19, 09:44 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 2,350
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
While not quite the equivalent, when I was working nights alone in the training department, the head honcho on the night shift (I did not report to him) directed me to reserve a classroom every night so a diabetic employee could come up and give himself a shot - he would be locking the door with the blinds shut for privacy - but they said I had to remain standing by in case something "went wrong". I didn't even want to know what that might entail.

I said hell no, I wasn't a medical professional, I wasn't about to be responsible for his health issues, and I had other responsibilities besides. The honcho went to my boss and boss's boss. They both said hell no, for the same reasons

As far as I know, the guy kept doing his injections, probably in the locker room or restroom, which was fine.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-12-19, 12:17 PM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,875
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
We NEED the government to make decisions for us.
big brother knows best
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-12-19, 12:40 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 8,548
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I believe that the government should be allowed to tell us what types of food and drink we can put into our body. After all, we wouldn't want to make it more convenient for people to abuse themselves and cause pain for their loved ones from things like heart disease, obesity, and diabetes.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-12-19, 01:12 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 12,037
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've wondered if that is because the Boomers were very open to drug use and now their children (Millennials) have a similar mindset. Now that Generation Z is starting to come of age, will that pendulum swing back a little toward the anti-drug crowd.
I think it has in part something to do with politics. The move towards the emphasis of treatment over punishment corresponded with kids in the suburbs starting to die from the heroin epidemic. That's not coincidence.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-12-19, 01:18 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 5,423
chs1971 will become famous soon enough
I really hope some of you folks are joking.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-12-19, 01:23 PM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,831
queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think it has in part something to do with politics. The move towards the emphasis of treatment over punishment corresponded with kids in the suburbs starting to die from the heroin epidemic. That's not coincidence.
Perhaps, but examples all over the world show fairly clearly that it's the right approach.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-12-19, 01:40 PM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,875
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I really hope some of you folks are joking.
Agreed. Hate to see people encouraging the government to eliminate individual freedoms.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-12-19, 01:53 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 8,548
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
+1 OBCF

Sad that so many on here want/need the government to take care of them. Sign of the times I guess.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heartbreak Highway Justice Boys Basketball 13 02-16-19 12:09 AM
Remember virtual reality? Its buzz has faded at CES 2019 Yappi General Board 8 01-15-19 01:43 PM
Lutheran North (MO) at La Salle: hyperbole or reality Lancermania Football 14 09-08-18 07:01 AM
Moe's Woes........ Pope Francis 1 Football 155 11-15-17 05:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.