Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-16, 11:32 AM
All District

Madmex64 is on a distinguished road
Official OAC GS D3 MadMex Report

Since the brackets got cut a little later than usual I am behind in the my process. I have decided to post the first part of my D3 report and I will get the rest out by this weekend. I will then follow that up with D2, and then finally D4 next week, enjoy all!

First and foremost I want to take a quick second to give a shout out to all the people who my son and I have met while we have walked along this journey in the wrestling world. Some of our best friends have grown out of this circle and I truly am grateful to have such amazing people with character, passion, and commitment to something that requires such an extreme dedication too! Additionally, the support I have received from everybody who I have encountered about my report has been through the roof! When I put out my inaugural report last year I really just had intentions of providing some insight backed by statistics and observations into our OAC conversations. However, once I was finished I was very proud of the information that I had been able to accumulate and I really was blown away from the support that known and unknown members of the Ohio wrestling world provided to me about my wrestling report. My son has grown to a spot where we almost exclusively wrestling nothing but state and national level tournaments and I have been able to forge some great connections, land some prestigious coaching opportunities and be able to watch the majority of the upcoming studs in person. I do everything in my power to provide a non-biased and statistically backed viewpoint of who I think will reach the semifinals and from there I use my intuition to try and accurately predict finalists and state champs. I strongly encourage anybody who reads this report to understand that I do not do this report to disrespect or critize anybody’s wrestler and I do not write this report for any personal gain or notoriety. I know it is clichť but I truly believe that all of these kids are warriors just for getting to this point in the season as there are literally thousands of youth wrestlers that competed this year and did not make it to the final 32 in such a deeply talented wrestler state like Ohio. Something new for this year is my overall strength rating of each bracket. As stated before, there are no easy roads to an OAC state championship and all titles deserve respect; however, with that said, some roads to glory are more difficult than others and starting this year I am going to include a strength of bracket (SOB) rating to reflect on what I feel is the overall depth of talent and accomplishments buried inside each bracket. Additionally, I do not do a report on D1 wrestlers as I truly feel like those wrestlers have not had enough experience yet to warrant any predictions or pressure being applied to them. However, with the help of my trusted connections at that level I will provide some names of kids to watch out for. My report this year will include a section on D2, D3, & D4. Because my son happens to wrestle in D3, that division tends to get a little more information provided on it as that is the division that I am most interactive with. Without any further delays let’s get into this years “Madmex’s OAC Grade School Report” with a peek into Division 3!

Strength of Bracket Key:

*****  5 stars, only reserved for the top tier brackets. Brackets marked with 5 stars contain multiple state champs and are littered with former state placers. This level of a bracket will have former state placers who do not make the podium due to the overall competition and talent inside the bracket. Roughly only 10% of all OAC brackets qualify for this rating.

****  4 stars, still considered to be a top tier bracket that could contain at least two former state champs and have multiple former state placers. The difference between a 4 star and a 5 star bracket would be the depth in the 3 and 4 seeds that are seen in the first round. Roughly 35% of OAC brackets fall into this category.

***  3 stars, considered to be a middle of the road bracket in terms of overall talent and depth. Could have a former state champ embed within it but most likely does not contain multiple state champs. This type of bracket usually starts to be a little top heavy with the talent but still some quality kids in the overall depth. Some of the 3 and 4 seeds in the opening pods are seen as novice wrestlers to the state tournament. Roughly 25% of OAC brackets fall into this category.

**  2 stars, considered to be slightly below average in overall talent and depth. This category of bracket usually has one clear favorite at the top and only a handful of kids that can challenge him. After the top 3-6 wrestlers there is a significant drop off in depth and talent. State placers are limited and almost all 3 and 4 seeds are novice or middle of the road wrestlers. Roughly 20% of OAC brackets fall into this range.

*  1 star, considered to be the easiest brackets at OAC. Typically do not contain any former state champs and only a few former state placers. This bracket usually is not a full 32 man bracket and sometimes the heavier weights that have fewer contestants fall into this category. Roughly 10% of OAC brackets fall into this rating.

Division 3 Brackets:

SOB Rating: ****

Favorites: Kristy, Craft, Cochran

Potential Placers: Lambers, Wilcox, Mattin, Sowders, Haney, Cartella, Fretwell, Campbell

Sleeper: Campbell

In the top half you have the #1 overall seed in Jayden Cochran. Cochran comes from a wrestling family with his older brother being a Jr. High state qualifier and his dad being a coach in the Miamisburg program. Cochran has a good combination of technicality and athleticism in his repertoire. I predict him to work his way through the top quarter of the bracket, although he does face a potential stumbling block in his second round match up with the experienced Lambers. In the end I will take Cochran to reach the Semifinals out of this quarter bracket.

In the second quarter bracket you have a handful of talented wrestlers that all with make a push to land the second spot in the semifinals vs Cochran. Just based on pure talent I would say that Dehart’s Craft has the best shot to arrive in the semifinals. She is a rare breed of an athlete, as she has a tremendous mixture of toughness and work ethic that allow her to grind out matches against other top tier wrestlers. I believe that Wilcox will put up a valiant effort in the second round and he will push Craft but in the end I will take the big match experience of Craft to push her through to the quarter finals. Wilcox will have an experienced opponent in his first match, Mattin from Delta who also comes from a very well-known wrestling family. Meeting Craft in the quarters, I will take the younger Sowders brother. I know he will have to unset the Steubenville district champ Haney to get there but when it’s all said and done I think Sowders will have just enough in the tank to score a late 3rd period victory over Haney. Craft and Sowders have locked horns many times in practice so each wrestler will be familiar with each other. It will be a hard fought match but I will take Craft with her experience to close out a valiant effort by Sowders. In the top semifinals, I see a potential OT matchup as Cochran will use his strength and aggressiveness to his advantage. Craft will employ her skill and toughness but in the end I will stick with the chalk to get to the finals as I will put Cochran into this year’s OAC finals.

In the third quarter bracket you have some names that are flying a little under the radar. Cartella has put together a solid year while securing the third seed in this bracket. I foresee him being able to arrive in the quarterfinals without experiencing any too close matches. His opponent in that quarterfinal matchup should be Ohio newcomer Fretwell. Fretwell has trained very hard this year with OAC stud Kane Shawger and that training will come in handy for this meat grinder of a tournament. I will take Fretwell in a very close match to reach the first semifinals spot on this side of the bracket.

In the bottom quarter of this bracket you have the most feared wrestler in this entire bracket, previous OAC winner Neal Krysty. Krysty has an outstanding combination of skill, strength, and toughness that make it hard to overcome. He has plenty of big match experience and seems to shine when the lights are on him. He will be challeneged by the solid Campbell in the second round but Campbell will not be able to trade point for point with the explosive Krysty. I predict a Fretwell vs Krysty in the bottom semifinals. Fretwell will do everything in this power to challenge the dominant Krysty in this semifinals but I just don’t see him being able to overcome the favorite of this bracket. I will take Kyrsty to secure a return to the OAC finals.

In the finals, I predict that Cochran will be able to score and force Krysty to wrestling a tough complete match; however, in the end Krysty has a championship pedigree and an accomplishment list to match it. I will take Krysty to win a decision over Cochran for the OAC state title.

SOB Rating: ***

Favorites: Caizzo, Jett

Potential Placers: Limbert, Burt, Herman, Yarbrough, Greco,

Sleeper: Brock

In the top quarter bracket, you have the overall #1 seed Jaxon Joy. Joy has enjoyed an outstanding season and is one of the more improved wrestlers on the circuit this year. I do not foresee anyone knocking him off on his march towards the first semifinals spot. He potentially could be challenged by Limbert in the quarterfinals but I believe that Joy’s previous big match experience will not let the match slip away from him.

In the second quarter of the bracket, the clear favorite will be Casper Caizzo. “Caps” is no stranger to this tournament as he has enjoyed a successful string of appearances at the toughest grade school state tournament in the country over the last 5 years! I believe that Casper will wrestle up to his potential again and secure the second semifinals spot in this half of the bracket. Joy and Caizzo are no strangers to each other so a close hard fought match will be the expectation. I know Joy has closed the gap in some regards this year but I will rely on past results and the experience of Caizzo to push him into the finals.

In the bottom half of this bracket is where you will encounter my favorite to win the bracket Jace Jett. Jett has a fantastic combination of skills along with a high wrestling IQ. This combination always does him well in this pressure cooker of a tournament. I see him arriving into the third spot of the semifinals in this tough bracket. He will have to fight through a gritty and athletic opponent in Yarbrough in his second match. Yarbrough absolutely has the chops to pull this upset off but in the end I think Jett will survive to stay in the championship hunt.

In the bottom quarter of the bracket I foresee a showdown brewing between Herman and Brock in the quarterfinals. I believe both will overwhelm their opponents in the first two rounds. Herman has had a very solid season and I have been impressed with his results this season. For the second year in a row, Brock got a delayed start to his season with the overlapping his motor cross training. However, Brock is an experienced wrestler who knows how to make up for lost time. If Herman can dictate the match with his technique then I believe it favors him; if Brock can dictate the tone with his aggressiveness and strength then I believe the match favors Brock. In the end I will take Brock to squeak out a hard fought victory to secure a match against Jett in the bottom semifinals. In that matchup I see a clash of two very different styles. Brock always wrestles hard once they get back into the swing of the season but I believe that his lack of a full season of training will cost him in this semifinals match as I will take Jett to survive the whirlwind of Brock.

In the finals, I predict that Caizzo will really try and slow the pace down of the match to help eliminate some of the offensive skill that Jett has displayed many times. I believe this will work for the majority of the matchup. However, I see Jett scoring some key points in the 3rd period to tilt the scales in his favor and I will crown Jett the winner of this OAC bracket.

Favorites: Bennett, Saccoccia, Ayoub, Segal

Potential Placers: Bein, Castille, Romano, Hendricks, Johnston, Steagall, Early, Horvath, Ebel, Soto

Sleeper: Sowders

In the top quarter you have the deserving #1 seed in this bracket, “Rhino” Bennett. Rhino has had an outstanding season stretching all the way from Super 32 to the Penn State Open last weekend. Rhino has a great combination of experience, technique, and toughness that makes him a favorite in this bracket. Rhino does face an experienced wrestler in Bein in the first match but Rhino will pull away as that match plays out. Either O’Brein or Stephen should be there in the quarters to present an obstacle but Rhino will punch his ticket into the first semifinals spot.

In the second quarter of the bracket you get some quality depth but the two kids to keep an eye on are both SW Ohio kids, Hendricks and Segal. Hendricks presents a funky style with some high flying offense and he will put plenty of points up on the scoreboard in this tournament. Segal is one of the most improved wrestlers in the whole state with big time wins across the spectrum of the season. Segal has improved on his feet tremendously and he has always been tough with his defense and top game. Based on his early season win over Hendricks and his late season success I will take Segal to get into the semis to challenge Rhino. In the semis the consensus is to take the favored , more seasoned Rhino. I could not fault anybody who picks Rhino in this matchup as quite honestly he is favored on paper but the official pick will be Segal to advance to the finals with an OT victory over Rhino with a late takedown.

In the third quarter of this bracket you get a young wrestler who has really grown into his own, Johnston from Golden Cross. He did a great job winning the Indy Nationals earlier this year and he has shown great growth in his development as a wrestler. With that said, he will run into the tough third seed Saccoccia. Saccoccia also comes from a wrestling family and it shows up in his solid technique and big match experience. Most likely he will lock horns with the Glen Oak champion Leroy Steagall. Steagall will present a challenge to the tough Saccoccia but to reach this semifinals I will take Soccoccia to squeak out a close match to reach the third spot in the semifinals.

In the bottom quarter, you have some tough wrestlers that are going to all make a run at a spot in the semifinals. In the second round you get a very intriguing matchup in Sowders vs Early. Early has a championship pedigree but this is his down year so it will be tough sledding. The older Sowders has put a tremendous amount of time and training in this year to make a run at state. He has started working with the St. Grahams youth program and that has shown up in his technique this year. I will take Sowders to win a close match against Early to reach the quarters.

In the other side of the bottom quarter, you get the second seed Ayoub. Ayoub comes from a great wrestling family that trains with Team Miron. Ayoub presents a tough challenge with his solid technique, experience, and length. I don’t see anybody presenting a major road block to block him as he will march into the semifinals to take on Sowders in the quarters. Sowders will wrestle with plenty of heart but I trust the experience and length of Ayoub to move into the semifinals to match up against Saccoccia. Ayoub will take advantage of his age and size and will win a decision over Saccoccia to get into the finals.

In the finals, I predict we will have the underdog Segal versus the favorite Ayoub. Ayoub will present plenty of problems for the shorter, stouter Segal but in the end Segal will ride the lengthy Ayoub out in the third period to secure a 1 point victory for his first state championship.

Favorites: Stowers, Homan

Potential Placers: Duniec, Lambert, Shore, Davis, Mohanna, Cotrell

Sleeper: Fisher

In the top quarter you get a highly skilled and seasoned veteran of this circuit, Ashton Homan. Homan got off to a slow start this season with football playing a role in that. Since then Homan has risen back to his highly perched spot in the pecking order and I do not see anybody derailing his track into the semifinals. It always worries me when I predict that nobody will challenge a kid at this tournament but Homan usually wrestles very well in this tournament and I think that will be the case again.

In the second quarter of the bracket you get the other favorite in this bracket, Ryan Stowers. Stowers fully dedicated himself to wrestling this season and all his hard work in the off season has translated into a host of impressive accomplishments this season. Again I do not see anybody who will derail Stowers march towards the semifinals setting up an epic semifinal showdown against Homan. My records show that Stowers was able to secure 2 early season close wins over Homan. I know Homan has hit his stride recently but I will call for a very close, potentially OT victory for the lengthy Stowers to secure in this matchup to reach the OAC finals.

In the third quarter, I do not see anybody on paper who should present a challenge to the third seed Sanderfer. I know Sanderfer is on the young side but he has shown a great amount of composure and maturity as he has wrestled well at the open tournaments that he has hit the mats on this year. I believe that Sanderfer will arrive in the third semifinal spot relatively unchallenged.

In the fourth quarter of this bracket, you get a very deserving number 2 seed in Butler. Butler came up a little short against Hillyard last year in the finals at D2 but he has had a solid season on the younger side of D3 this year. You get an interesting first round matchup in Mohanna vs Bowyer. Mohanna has gotten much bigger and stronger this season but I believe the more seasoned Bowyer will have just enough to survive this first round altercation. Fischer vs Butler in the second round will also be an interesting matchup as both have wrestled well on the state circuit. This match could literally go either way but I will take Butler in a close match. In the quarter it will should be Bowyer vs Butler. Again this match could go either way but the official Madmex report will take Bowyer to reach the semifinals to wrestle Sanderfer. In this bottom semifinals Sanderfer will keep it close and will present a major challenge to Bowyer but I will trust the age and experience of Bowyer to propel him into the finals.

In the finals, I see Stowers showcasing his dominant offensive style to go along with his effective turns to put up an impressive win to secure his second OAC championship.

Favorites: Harney, Durbin

Potential Placers: Montoya, Pina-Lorenzana, Hart, Medina, Lyons, Huck, Vanderhorst, Vanest, Beadling

Sleeper: Alli

In the top half you have the #1 seed Harney. Harney has put together a fantastic year capped by a 3rd place at the always tough Liberty Nationals. He was also the runner up at the AAU Winter Nationals and also took 4th in a tough Dixie Nationals bracket as well. Harney is a very explosive wrestler who has a habit of ringing up the scoreboard even in tough matches against national caliber wrestlers. He should get to the quarterfinals with no major obstacles to that point. Locking horns with Harney in the quarters should be one of the most improved wrestlers in D3 this year Anwar Alli. Alli has been on fire of recent, taking 4th in a very tough bracket at Liberty while also following that performance up with a very respectable 4th at Indy Nationals from the young side. This might be one of the most hard fought quart matchups that we will see in D3 this year. Alli will clearly have the advantage from a size and strength standpoint but in the end I will go with Harney to pull out a late reversal to escape with a 1 point win late in the third period.

In the second quarter of this bracket you get quality depth from top to bottom. The highest seed in this region is Logan Montoya checking in at the 4 seed. He will get a tough match from pervious OAC placer Perez in the first round but Montoya should be able to survive and overcome this stiff challenge. Waiting for Montoya in the quarter will be the winner of the second round matchup between Medina and Hart. Both of these wrestlers are vastly improved from last season and their dedication to the sport will show up in this match. The official pick will be for Hart to survive a deep match by Medina as he moves onto to take on Montoya in the quarters. This quarter will also be an excellent matchup just like the one above it. Montoya did handily defeat Hart last year at the OAC Fall Classic but Hart has closed the gap since then. Montoya will be hungry to get the semifinals and will use his national experience to score points late in the third to push into the smeifinals for a much anticipated rematch with Harney from two years ago. In the top semifinal you will get one of the marquee matches of the whole tournament Harney vs Montoya part 2. These two split the championship matches two years ago with Harney getting the OAC title and Montoya getting the OH way title. My heart wants to go with the underdog Montoya but the statistics say that Harney will come out on top. The official pick is Harney to survive and move into the finals.

In the third quarter you get the 3 seed Lyons. Lyons placed last year at the OAC tournament in D2 and he has followed that performance up with a solid year from the down side of D3. He gets a tough first round match up with Huck, who is also a former OAC finalist. Huck is a very up and down wrestler. If the strong version of Huck shows up then he will beat Lyons in the first round. If the off Huck shows up the younger Lyons will get the win. I will go with Lyons to survive this first round tussle. Most likely waiting for Lyons in the quarters will be Vanest, the GO district champion. Vanest has had a great year wrestling well at OYWA and other open tournaments this season. I think Vanderhorst will present a solid obstacle in the second round but I believe the bigger and stronger Vanest will survive that challenge to wrestle Lyons in the quarters. In that quarter matchup I will take Vanest to end the run of the younger Lyons and advance to the semifinals.

In the bottom quarter you get one of the most technical wrestlers in all of D3, defending state champ Brock Durbin. Durbin has had a fantastic season capped by big wins in PA over the last month. He took third in a loaded Penn State Open bracket from the young side where he only lost to the eventual champ 1-0 in the semifinals. I believe that Durbin will absolute handle all challengers in this bottom quarter and that he will most likely beat Beadling in the quarters to get to the semifinals. In the bottom semifinals Vanest will come out strong but I believe Durbin will eventually pull away from him securing a convincing win in the semifinals to take on Harney in the state finals.

In this finals matchup I believe you get two offensive minded wrestlers who will go back and forth. Durbin will showcase his outstanding technique while Harney will put his toughness and explosiveness on display. In the end I will go with Harney beating Durbin in a potential 10-6 match.

Favorites: Shamblin, Hermes

Potential Placers: Brooks, Libby, Norman, Langley, Farley, Berner, Lee, Humprys, Miller. Harden
Sleeper: Brown

In the top quarter you get the #1 seed Hudson Shamblin. Hudson is the lighter and taller twin of the Shamblin family. He is a well deserving #1 seed as he has had a fantastic season wrestle all over the east coast while racking up impressive tournament championships in Ohio, WV, & PA. Hudson is a very explosive offensive wrestler who uses his leverage and skill set very well. Of the two Shmablin boys this one is the more technical wrestler who always finds a way to be in good attacking position. His toughest match on his march towards the semifinals will most likely be presented in the second round against the formidable Brooks. Brooks finished last season and started this season very much on fire. He also has a lanky frame and can be very aggressive as well. He absolutely has the talent to pull and upset in the second round but I believe that Shamblin will beat Brooks in the third period when these two lanky wrestlers do battle.

In the second quarter you have two wrestlers that appear to be on a head on collision course with each other. TJ Langley has put together a top-notch season while doing battle in northern Ohio and Western PA. He nagged both the OH youth Ironman and PA youth Powerade championships this season. Langley is a highly skilled defensive and countershot wrestler who will punish you if you make a mistake or come out of position. I believe he gets to the quarters without much of a challenge. On the other side of this quarter bracket is the lengthy and talented Berner from DeHart Elite. Berner has really come into his own this season while enjoy a handful of marquee wins on both the state and national level. The younger Farley will wrestler Berner with lots of heart in the second round but Berner will use his age and experience to holdup against the talented Farley. The quarter matchup with Langley vs Berner is one that I cant wait to see. Berner is a skilled offensive wrestler while Langley has some of the best defense in all of D3. In a tight barnburner I will take Langley to survive and march into the semifinals with a rematch against Shamblin from 2 years ago. 2 years ago these hammer split their 2 OAC matches. Shamblin dropped the hammer on the first day with an impressive 18-3 win while Langley grinded through the wrestle backs he bowed back with an 8-3 win over Shmablin deep in the wrestle backs. This could one of the best matches in this bracket and I will be excited to see it. I will rely on the proven offense that Shanmblin has displayed so many times in his career to push past the excellent Langley to reach his first OAC finals.

In the third quarter you get what seems to be two more skilled wrestlers on a march towards each in the quarters. Jack Lee of Miron and Owen Miller. I do not see anybody providing a steep challenge to the skilled and technique driven Lee. Lee should have no problems getting to the quarters. Miller should be challenged by Humprys in the second round and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Humprys was the winner as he has plenty of OAC expirence and pedigree to get it done. However, I will officially take Lee vs Miller in this quarter to see who marches into the third semifianls spot. In a close match I will trust the technique and execution of Lee to drive him past the formidable Miller to secure his spot in the smeifinals.

In the fourth quarter, you again have two dominant wrestlers that will be on a fast track to the quarters. The newcomer in this bracket is former Kentucky state champ Brayden Brown. Brown has had a great season with placements in multiple national tournaments including a solid 7th place showing in a 50 kid bracket at USA pre-season nationals. Brown comes from an established wrestling family and he has been a nice addition to this already stacked weight class here in Ohio. Waiting for Brown in the quarterfinals will be the beast of this bracket, Max Hermes. Hermes decided to make the cut to come down to 75 lbs this year and it has paid big dividends. Hermes is a rare combination of not only size and strength but also outstanding technique to go with it. He benefits from having a coach as his dad and this shows up in Max’s composure and chain wrestling skills set. Brown will try and keep the match up on their feet as he is very good from that standpoint, however Hermes will use his strength to go the mat where he will clearly be dominant as his strength can be suffocating at times. I will take Hermes to survive this anticipated battle and lock horns with Lee in the semifinals. In that matchup, Lee will challenge Hermes in the first period but as that match wears on I see Hermes being able to impose his will and eventually scoring turns in the third period to pull away from Lee and secure his spot in the OAC finals against Shamblin.

In what will be one of my favorite finals if it should materialize we get the #1 seed Shamblin against #2 Hermes. Shamblin will try and use his length and leverage to counteract the strength and size of Hermes. I see a potential late 3rd period score or perhaps even an overtime match here but the official predictions will be a Hermes victory by 1-3 points over the scrappy Shamblin.

Last edited by Madmex64; 03-09-16 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-16, 11:35 AM
Varsity

luv2wrestle is on a distinguished road
Ummm...I'm still waiting for the Madmex Jr high predictions
Old 03-09-16, 12:06 PM
All Region

tennman is on a distinguished road
Thx madmex, always a pleasure!
Old 03-09-16, 12:12 PM
All Region

Da Grinch is on a distinguished road
When's division 2 going to be out
Old 03-09-16, 12:12 PM
Junior Varsity

_Trained is an unknown quantity at this point
MadMEx going against his boy, that shows no favoritism...great report
Old 03-09-16, 12:26 PM
Freshman

Ruger7mag is on a distinguished road
Where is the rest of d3 at?
Old 03-09-16, 12:42 PM
Junior Varsity

dawg4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Grinch View Post
When's division 2 going to be out
And ruger7mag

He answers BOTH your questions in the very first paragraph. Reread (or read for the first time) the very first paragraph.
Old 03-09-16, 12:49 PM
Junior Varsity

IrishMex is on a distinguished road
MadMex.... Always look forward to reading your report! Appreciate all the hard work and time you put into these. Keep up the great job!

Old 03-09-16, 01:06 PM
Freshman

Sorry
Old 03-09-16, 01:24 PM
All Ohio

wrestlingdad33 is on a distinguished road
Madmex great work thus far! Always a great read! Look forward to seeing you guys in Youngstown!
Old 03-09-16, 01:44 PM
All District

Favorites: Griffith, Hughes

Potential Placers: Mason, Reinhart, Chance, Andel, Craddock

Sleeper: Hester

In the top quarter you get the #1 overall seed Kam Hughes from Dehart Elite. Hughes has picked up right where he left off last season, winning a bunch of national level caliber matches and championships. He secured his first Liberty Nationals championship this season to go along with his other national showings. Hughes has a great combination of size, strength, and skill. His upper body is about put together as good as any hammer as I have seen on the circuit this year. Hughes has a true gift of constantly moving in a wrestling match that allows him to transition from a bad position to a great position at the blink of an eye. Awaiting Hughes in the quarters will most likely be the MP champion Devin Mason. Mason is a solid OAC circuit wrestler who will be ready to roll in the quarters; however, if with that said Hughes will be tough to beat as they have really hit the national circuit hard this year and Hughes style is just hard to defend. I will take Hughes to roll into the semifinals without much of a true challenge.

In the second quarter it appears that Hester and Chance will be on a crash course form each other. Reinhart will challenge the big and athletic Hester in the first round but Hester will survive that challenge and roll to match up with Chance in this quarter of the bracket. The Hester vs Chance matchup is very promising as Chance has a nice combination of strength, skill and experience. Hester is about as big and as athletic as we have in the entire estate of Ohio at 80 lbs. Each day as his technique evolves he becomes more of a force to deal with. I will take Hester and his explosive shot to barely survive the grittiness and experience in this matchup to have Hester reach the semifinals to get another crack at Hughes from earlier this season. Hester gave Hughes two very tough matches earlier this season, with one being at the Mason Super duals. Hester will not doubt push Hughes again but with Hughes having his eye on his 3rd consecutive finals appearance I believe he will do just enough in the 3rd period to survive the athletic and strong Hester.

In the third quarter of this bracket you most likely will see the 3 seed Andel survive any challenges and be able to reach the semifinals. There potentially could be a challenge presented by Landrum or Cooper but if things play out as they should Andel will bring his impressive season record with him into a semifinals showdown.

In the final quarter of this bracket you get one of the most dominant wrestlers not only in Ohio but on the national scene as well, Julien Griffith. Griffith has had an elite level season bagging national championships from Iowa, Gerogia, Missouri, and PA. He again earned another Triple Crown on the American Crown circuit. Griffith wrestles with strength and maturity that is just not usually seen in a 10 year kid. He is very strong on his feet but once the match goes to the mat thatís where this hammer is unrelenting! His top game is second to none and he runs one of the meanest boot series out there. I do not foresee anybody giving Griffith a match in his quarter and I think he will either tech fall or pin his way into the semifinals. In the semifinals, Andel could potentially score on Griffith but in the end Julien will use his power game on top to turn and potentially put away Andel to reach his 4th consecutive OAC finals.

In what is easily the most anticipated OAC finals match of D3 this year it would be an absolute treat for all wrestling fans to see the 2 time defending OAC champ Hughes take on the 3 time defending OAC champ Griffith. These two did lock horns at the Indy Nationals just a month ago with Griffith coming out with a convincing 8-0 win. However, as evidenced by his huge win over Kraylick in the finals last year, Hughes always saves his best match of the year for these championship finals. Hughes will score this time and it will go the distance but in the end I do not believe Griffith will lose this tussle as he earns his 4th consecutive OAC title!
Old 03-09-16, 02:39 PM
Freshman

KTownHunt is on a distinguished road
Great detailed report. My son wrestled in the 71.3 group.
Unfortunately, he didn't make it to states this year. I think Madmex64 is spot on with his insights to this group. However, I do believe the Alli will beat Harney though. I also think Stanley will beat Medina and Hart to face Montoya in the quarters.

My Predictions IMHO

1st - Durbin
2nd - Alli
3rd - Harney
4th - Montoya
5th - Vanest
6th - Hart
7th - Stanley
8th - Steagall

Great tough competition in this age and weight. Tough draw for a couple of these kids. Good Luck to all.
Old 03-09-16, 03:49 PM
Freshman

BIGGZ is on a distinguished road
No d1 report this year, come on Madmax your killing us LOL.
Old 03-10-16, 09:50 AM
All District

Favorites: Shamblin, Neitenbach, Rizzo

Potential Placers: Thiel, Sherman, Dominique, Sell, Sellers, Leonard, Chrisman

Sleeper: Simcoe

In the top quarter you get the #1 seed Hunter Shamblin. This is obviously the bigger of the two Shamblin brothers. Shamblin had a great tournament last year placing third on the young side of a very tough bracket last year. Whereas his brother Hudson is more of a flexible and technical wrestler, Hunter is more of an explosive strength type of guy. He also can ring the scoreboard up in a hurry and I donít see him having any problems with his first round match. In the second round he will be faced with an early stiff challenge in the form of Simcoe. Simcoe is an outstanding wrestler who has a nice combination of length, skill, and toughness. His dad is the head coach for the Tiffin University wrestling program so you know his technique is sharp! I see a full fledge war in that matchup but I will take the seasoned Shamblin to survive and come out on top just as he did 2 years ago when they locked horns in the Ohway state finals. Waiting in the quarters for Shamblin will be one of the strongest kids in this bracket Thiel. Thiel has top notch strength and if he hits a put away move he can score an upset victory here. The official prediction is for Shamblin to be down as some point in this match but he will be able to rattle off some 3rd periods to make his push into the semifinals.

In the second quarter of this bracket, you get a very solid 4 seed in Rizzo. With OAC eliminating the 90 lb weight class this year it forced a lot of wrestlers to make the hard call of making the big cut or giving up weight to jump into the 95 lb class. I donít blame Rizzo at all for making the decision to come down. Rizzo will have an interesting second round match against the solid Dominique. Dominique has grown tremendously this year but heís probably not quite ready to cash in on the upset against the seasoned Rizzo. Waiting for Rizzo in the quarters will most likely be TC champion Sherman from Dehart. Sherman had a solid season last year and he has improved greatly under the tutelage of Coach Mike Dehart. Rizzo will be pushed but I think he will hang in there and do just enough to secure his spot into the top semifinals against the #1 seed Shamblin. In this first semifinals matchup of this bracket I think you get a thing of beauty. Both boys will be hungry and will wrestle an aggressive match. Rizzo has had more success in this tournament in the past but I believe the 1 year age difference will rear its ugly head so I will take the older Shamblin to survive a deep challenge by the gifted Rizzo to get to his first OAC finals.

In the third quarter of the bracket, you get a defending state champ, albeit from the young side in Josiah Leonard. Leonard has done a fabulous job of building off his championship run last year. He will have a battle on his hand with the tough and experienced Justice in the second round but I think he has enough of a pedigree that will survive that encounter. Most likely he will lock horns with the winner of the tussle between Sellers & Sell. I believe the winner will be the more seasoned Sell. Leonard will get pushed by the tough and gritty Sell but in the end I think Leonard has just enough in the tank to push into the 3rd spot in the semifinals.

In the bottom quarter, you get probably the favorite to win this whole bracket, Neitenbach. Neitenbach is such a talented and skilled wrestler that he usually is a tough match up for anybody. He was big time wins all over the state and he has done very well in this tournament in the past. I do not see anybody in this quarter presneting a true challenge as he will most likely outlast challenges for Chrisman, Stevenson, or Smith to reach the 4th spot in the semifinals. In the bottom semifinals I see Leonard coming out aggressive and firing all bullets at Neitenbach but in the end the age and experience of Neitenbach will be too much for the younger Leonard to overcome. Neitenbach marks his retursn to the OAC finals.

In the finals match I see a true battle going done. Shamblin is tough and explosive while Neitenbach is gritty will wrestle through many different tough situations. Itís a very close call but with Neitenbach coming up just a point shy last time he was here in the finals I think he will seal the deal late in the 3rd period to score his first state championship!
Old 03-10-16, 10:48 AM
All District

SOB Rating: *
Favorite: Neves

Potential Placers: Campbell, Supers, Stout, Berry, Havill, Fox, Berner, Dickerson

Sleeper: McKenzie

In the top quarter of this bracket you get the deserving #1 seed Crater Neves of Dehart Elite. Neves is one of the most accomplished and recognized youth wrestlers that we have in the state of Ohio. He capped another elite season with another round of winning the Triple Crown on the American Crown circuit. Neves is a very aggressive and gritty wrestler and in most matches he just overpowers his opponents while also showcasing a very strong top game when the match goes down to the mat. No disrespect to the skilled wrestlers in this bracket but Neves probably wonít have too many serious challengers to him recapturing a state title this year as this is one of the weakest brackets that I have seen in recent years around this weight. I see Neves and Stout on a Crash course for getting to the semifinals where Neves should dispose of him rather easily to move into the top final spot.

In the bottom half of the bracket you get a deserving 2 seed in Campbell. He does have an interesting match against a seasoned OAC wrestler in McKenzie. I believe that Campbell will survive that match but if the upset happens you heard about it here first! I believe that Campbell will get to the finals to square off against Neves while potentially getting through Howell and or Fox to reach the semifinals. In the semifinals he most likely will have Dickerson or Supers to get through but I donít either one of them stopping Campbell from surging into the finals.

In the finals I see Neves making up for the unexpected loss last year and see him pinning Campbell in the first period to put an exclamation point on another remarkable season!
Old 03-11-16, 04:28 PM
Freshman

yoyo is on a distinguished road
will u also be predicting 110 130 and 160?
Old 03-13-16, 11:41 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
9 and 10 year olds. you people are bent
Old 03-13-16, 11:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
will u also be predicting 110 130 and 160?
yes! ref screwed my kid, loser will cry or have a tantrum, dad will yell at his kid, etc.
Old 03-13-16, 11:45 AM
Freshman

I take it your speaking from your own experience !!
Old 03-13-16, 11:47 AM
Freshman

I take it you're speaking from your own experience!!
Old 03-13-16, 01:17 PM
All Region

tennman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Stang View Post
yes! ref screwed my kid, loser will cry or have a tantrum, dad will yell at his kid, etc.
Sorry your kid acts like this, reflection of your parenting skills!
Old 03-14-16, 09:40 AM
Freshman

Are the rest of d3 somewhere else?
Old 03-14-16, 11:06 AM
All District

Sorry for the delay but just been ultra busy. I will have the rest of D3 and the D2 report up by tomorrow night. The D4 report will be posted in chunks throughout this week. Good luck to everyone this week with their final preparations for the Big Show this weekend!
Old 03-14-16, 11:29 AM
Junior Varsity

Catabolts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Stang View Post
9 and 10 year olds. you people are bent
Have you been to a grade school state tournament in the past few years? Some of these kids are competing a higher levels than some high school kids do.
Old 03-14-16, 02:47 PM
All Region

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catabolts View Post
Have you been to a grade school state tournament in the past few years? Some of these kids are competing a higher levels than some high school kids do.
I have a son in 7th grade and I am confident my 3rd grade daughter has better technique than 90% of jr high kids - sad part is I'm not joking
Old 03-15-16, 07:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger7mag View Post
I take it your speaking from your own experience !!
not quite. let me quess, you drink mountain dew
Old 03-15-16, 07:18 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennman View Post
Sorry your kid acts like this, reflection of your parenting skills!
nope! just a witness. btw, you can watch my son this weekend at the ncaa's
Old 03-15-16, 07:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catabolts View Post
now this might just take home the grand prize
Old 03-15-16, 07:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftAmaniac View Post
I have a son in 7th grade and I am confident my 3rd grade daughter has better technique than 90% of jr high kids - sad part is I'm not joking
or maybe this one
Old 03-15-16, 08:23 AM
Freshman

I'm sure a punk like you doesn't have anyone wresting in the ncaa's ! Maybe just a 5th grader who can't make the team!