Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Euclid by 15+ 2 6.25%
Euclid by 8-14 0 0%
Euclid by 1-7 4 12.50%
St. Edward by 1-7 8 25.00%
St. Edward by 8-14 11 34.38%
St. Edward by 15+ 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-18, 11:22 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Region 1 Semifinal: St. Edward (7-3) vs Euclid (9-2)

@ Bedford? (Edit: Nope, Byers)

Who wins. Euclid has a lot of talent, but can they remain strong for four quarters against a deep Eagles squad? Vote and Discuss

Last edited by EagleFan; 11-06-18 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-18, 11:24 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
St. Edward leads all time series 4-1.

8/30/2007 Euclid 14-13
8/30/2008 St. Edward 37-7
9/4/2009 St. Edward 24-21
11/21/2015 St. Edward 33-0
11/4/2016 St. Edward 42-7
Old 11-03-18, 11:52 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is on a distinguished road
I probably cant offer a good interpretation of Euclid based on week 3. If I was to use that game, I would say Ed's by 3 plus scores. I'm not sure they are disciplined enough to tackle Dzuro

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-18, 09:05 AM
All Ohio

doubtme is on a distinguished road
Ed's 24 Euclid- 14

Ed's will pull away late with depth and discipline.
Old 11-04-18, 09:54 AM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Is Euclid "very" talented? They have their share of guys but Eds just beat a team that has more talent in St. Ignatius. Go look at the 247 state of Ohio rankings for 2019 and 2020. The list has a ton of St. Ignatius kids and only 2 Euclid kids--a RB and a WR. I imagine man for man Eds is certainly more talented than Euclid.

I feel like we know what Euclid is at this point. They are a very good team. They may even be a bottom of the top-10 team in the state for D1. They have proven to be much better than good teams like Strongsville, Solon, Fitch, and Glenville. They have also come up well short in games against the best the state of Ohio has to offer--losing to Ignatius 21-6 and Mentor 29-7. Eds is certainly in the Ignatius/Mentor class. Euclid just can't score enough against a team like Eds. Give me Eds, 31-7.
Old 11-04-18, 11:51 AM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Talented yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Is Euclid "very" talented? They have their share of guys but Eds just beat a team that has more talent in St. Ignatius. Go look at the 247 state of Ohio rankings for 2019 and 2020. The list has a ton of St. Ignatius kids and only 2 Euclid kids--a RB and a WR. I imagine man for man Eds is certainly more talented than Euclid.

I feel like we know what Euclid is at this point. They are a very good team. They may even be a bottom of the top-10 team in the state for D1. They have proven to be much better than good teams like Strongsville, Solon, Fitch, and Glenville. They have also come up well short in games against the best the state of Ohio has to offer--losing to Ignatius 21-6 and Mentor 29-7. Eds is certainly in the Ignatius/Mentor class. Euclid just can't score enough against a team like Eds. Give me Eds, 31-7.
JR's recruits are second to none including Ginn, but coaching and discipline lacking. Thye do have a punter for a change this year, usually the kicking side of the kicking game is lacking.
Old 11-04-18, 12:08 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Wondering what poster picked Euclid by 15.
Old 11-04-18, 12:14 PM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfan60 View Post
JR's recruits are second to none including Ginn, but coaching and discipline lacking. Thye do have a punter for a change this year, usually the kicking side of the kicking game is lacking.
That is the narrative. I just don't buy it. I know the thing to do with teams like Euclid is question their discipline but I saw MANY mistakes by both sides in the Eds/Ignatius game on Friday. There were many turnovers, costly penalties, awful special teams plays, and a very poor 2 pt conversion play drawn up by the Ignatius coaching staff. The point is that these are HS kids...they all lack discipline to a certain extent. Coaching staffs like Eds and Ignatius are as good as it gets in the state of Ohio. Mentor has developed that type of staff as well. Euclid just isn't at that type of level, but they do have a staff that is in that next tier.

I remember arguing against this very thing after the Ignatius-Euclid game. People tried to tell me how much more talented Euclid was than Ignatius and that the only reason Ignatius is better is because of their "discipline". Then you look at the 247 rankings for state of Ohio kids and Ignatius has 4x as many ranked kids in the 2019 and 2020 classes than Euclid does.
Old 11-04-18, 01:01 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Lep2002.
That is always the narrative when 'urban' teams play. When they win, its athletes. When they lose its lack of discipline. I'll always see the ' look at the turnovers and penalties on these teams' But go to box scores and practically ALL teams have turnovers and penalties. You have outliers ( like that East St Louis stat line against Massillon) but most teams fall in that middle ground with the 'discipline' stats
Old 11-04-18, 03:17 PM
All American

sehs
I agree, urban teams have a stereotype like the Catholic schools do too. I think Euclid is a good team with a lot of team speed, negating that will be tough. Helping the Eagles out in that task though is that I don't think Euclid runs a very sophisticated offense and taking them out of what their go-to's are will throw them off of their game.

For Euclid to beat St. Ed's, they need to stop the read option. Doing that against a pretty good O-line and a savvy quarterback is what will be hard for them defensively.
Old 11-04-18, 03:21 PM
All Region

fballfan is on a distinguished road
Games is set for Byers Field
Old 11-04-18, 03:47 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone think this game will be competitive for more than the first half if your lucky? Euclid's QB will have to play beyond what he has shown so far this year to give Euclid any chance at all.
Old 11-04-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Does anyone think this game will be competitive for more than the first half if your lucky? Euclid's QB will have to play beyond what he has shown so far this year to give Euclid any chance at all.
Honestly unsure. Dont think so, but deciding if should go to this one, mentorMcKinley, or kirtland norwayne. All within 5 to 15 minutes, cant decide

Old 11-04-18, 03:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
Honestly unsure. Dont think so, but deciding if should go to this one, mentorMcKinley, or kirtland norwayne. All within 5 to 15 minutes, cant decide

I think all three are going to be one sided,with two having a running clock possibly.
Old 11-04-18, 04:01 PM
Varsity

KCOOLHIT
I would suggest the Mentor/McKinley game because I believe the dogs have the ability to make this a game. I still think Mentor should pull it out, but I believe it will an entertaining game.
Old 11-04-18, 04:19 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I've seen Eds and Euclid both at least twice. There is no comparison. Ed's is by FAR the better team. Better coached, better football players, better offense, better defense, better special teams, and much more disciplined not beat yourself with stupid penalties team. But that is why they play the games. But if both play their best, Eds will roll easily.
Old 11-04-18, 04:49 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Eds wins easily, 42-13
Old 11-04-18, 05:27 PM
All World

No way will it be a blowout. I think you guys are giving too much credit to the eagles.
Old 11-04-18, 05:33 PM
All Ohio

Where do they fit in then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post

Would a better coaching staff help them or is this "urban team" doomed reguardless of talent?
Old 11-04-18, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
No way will it be a blowout. I think you guys are giving too much credit to the eagles.
Euclid wont stop Dzuro. A 3 td spread makes sense.

Old 11-04-18, 05:59 PM
All World

And Ed’s vanilla playcalling will results in that 3 TD spread?
Old 11-04-18, 07:31 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
I don't think Eds is going to blow them out, but Eds has the better coach with players that for the most part grew up wanting to play for Eds. Euclid's coach is a maniac who can't hang with the really good coaches. He puts together teams that are loaded with talent, but when they come up against a team that has equal or better talent, they don't win because they get out coached.
Old 11-04-18, 07:36 PM
All American

Has nothing to do with "urban at all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
Lep2002.
That is always the narrative when 'urban' teams play. When they win, its athletes. When they lose its lack of discipline. I'll always see the ' look at the turnovers and penalties on these teams' But go to box scores and practically ALL teams have turnovers and penalties. You have outliers ( like that East St Louis stat line against Massillon) but most teams fall in that middle ground with the 'discipline' stats
Team is a reflection of the coach, period!
Old 11-04-18, 07:37 PM
All American

Better coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Would a better coaching staff help them or is this "urban team" doomed reguardless of talent?
Doubt that Lep has witnessed the JR antics on a sideline during a game.
Old 11-04-18, 07:53 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a reason why Euclid has the reputation it does - because they have poor discipline. It has nothing to do with "urban" - just watch them. The coach is a egomaniac and a loose cannon. He was suspended a game for his post game antics against Lorain so he could not even be there for "his boys" against Iggy. Euclid has talent - they however are not a smart team. Taunting, late hits, holding and other dumb penalties derail many positive things Euclid does. They have done it all year. They have swagger (like a bully) when they play a team with less talent - but I sure did not see that swagger against Iggy or Mentor. Mentor was missing their starting QB and RB and ran over Euclid. Until they beat Iggy or Ed's they will not be a serious threat. You need more then talent to beat one of the big Catholics. You need to know how to win. Euclid does not know how to win those games and are not talented enough to overcome their stupid mistakes. The way to beat a bully is to hit them in the mouth and that is what Iggy and Mentor did and Euclid's players and coaches did not know how to react. I expect Ed's to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 11-04-18, 09:12 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
They have earned it. Beating Ignatius, Elder, Moeller type teams. Euclid played 2 teams of Ed's caliber all year. And were never really in either game. Ignatius and Mentor both dominated them. Ed's is peaking and IS the better football team. Period. Ed's is also not 1 dimensional like Euclid is. That doesn't mean an upset can't happen. I, for 1, do not see it happening.
Old 11-04-18, 09:23 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE is on a distinguished road
It will be a hard fought game and will be a battle. Euclid has beaten a good Solon team this year along with Strongsville and Glenville by solid scores. Eagles will have to play solid defense and put some score up to put some pressure on Euclid. I think the last time the Eagles faced a Rotsky team was 2015 season and Eds won 20-12, Clev Hts was 4-6. So Rotsky will have them ready to play. And that year the Eagles were also coming off a big win against Ignatius.
Old 11-04-18, 10:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
They have earned it. Beating Ignatius, Elder, Moeller type teams. Euclid played 2 teams of Ed's caliber all year. And were never really in either game. Ignatius and Mentor both dominated them. Ed's is peaking and IS the better football team. Period. Ed's is also not 1 dimensional like Euclid is. That doesn't mean an upset can't happen. I, for 1, do not see it happening.
Euclid can throw the ball all over the field but usually run first.
Old 11-04-18, 10:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
Lep2002.
Glenville,Euclid,Trotwood Madison,.Three teams ive seen in the past that have URBAN rosters.Lots of talent.Lots of penalties and lost big games to more disciplined teams.Rotsky might be a maniac but the other coaches were not.Yes, your coach will reflect on his team with his personality.But there is more at play than that.

Last edited by James x2; 11-04-18 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Add
Old 11-05-18, 02:00 PM
Freshman

panther76 is on a distinguished road
Smile

cannot go by the Iggy game Euclid schools were closed 3 days leading up to game.