Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-18, 03:56 PM
soccer21stcentury soccer21stcentury is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-29-14
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 111
soccer21stcentury is on a distinguished road
Birth Year Rule

How has the birth year rule affected the landscape of girls soccer since itís inception?

I have noticed that Trapped players are being accommodated on combined aged teams. Especially in high school aged senior teams.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-10-18, 09:52 AM
buckshooter5 buckshooter5 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-05-12
Posts: 1,508
buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
The new age rule has not been a good thing for Club soccer here in the States.
The reason the old age restrictions were in place, is due to our current School year structure here.

The Cons in this case outweigh anything else for this new age restriction.

Currently there are a lot of the 01 girls are now juniors in High school and a lot who are seniors.

The juniors being 01's are forced to play with the current seniors in Club, the Seniors are mostly committed and the Juniors should be there time to really be recruited and make a decision and now that won't happen as they will not be going to showcase events any longer, Because the seniors in club are not doing showcases.

But US Soccer only caring about their so called National teams and not caring about all the players, only the ones they want and who cares about all the rest as they do not support college soccer and almost all girls want to play in college.

Good example: is the DA lets use all these kids to find one or two who can make the national teams and who cares what happens to the rest , because they are sure not helping them get college looks.

Better wake up and smell the coffee boys and girls
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-18, 11:09 AM
yapster2017 yapster2017 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-12-17
Posts: 25
yapster2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
The new age rule has not been a good thing for Club soccer here in the States.
The reason the old age restrictions were in place, is due to our current School year structure here.

The Cons in this case outweigh anything else for this new age restriction.

Currently there are a lot of the 01 girls are now juniors in High school and a lot who are seniors.

The juniors being 01's are forced to play with the current seniors in Club, the Seniors are mostly committed and the Juniors should be there time to really be recruited and make a decision and now that won't happen as they will not be going to showcase events any longer, Because the seniors in club are not doing showcases.

But US Soccer only caring about their so called National teams and not caring about all the players, only the ones they want and who cares about all the rest as they do not support college soccer and almost all girls want to play in college.

Good example: is the DA lets use all these kids to find one or two who can make the national teams and who cares what happens to the rest , because they are sure not helping them get college looks.

Better wake up and smell the coffee boys and girls


I agree with most of what you said Buck. The one area I would disagree with you is recruiting especially if we focus on the local DA club. It doesnít seem like the birth year has affected them much with college recruiting. They seem to commit early as Freshman and Sophomores and avoid the situation that you speak about. I am not saying that its right or wrong to commit that early, but it seems to work for them. I believe there are 20 kids in the 01 age group and 14 committed in the 02 age group at the DA already. It seems like the non DA clubs are the ones struggling with the recruiting process because of the birth year change not the DA.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-18, 11:35 PM
Hoosier Parent Hoosier Parent is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 04-27-16
Posts: 339
Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
I'm not a fan of birthyear groups at all. Can anyone explain a positive about it, other than we wanted to model our girls after the obviously more successful men's program?

I'm not sure the local recruiting success of the CDA girls is a result of that format, as much as it is the CUP program's strength prior to entering DA. I'm not saying ECNL is a better format than DA.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-18, 09:33 AM
Conan73 Conan73 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-10-16
Posts: 182
Conan73 is on a distinguished road
The change to a birth year system was done for both boys and girls. The stated reason was to match our program with how the rest of the world does it. The theory was that this would help us develop a stronger national talent pool for both boys and girls.

When you get beyond the DA, top ECNL, and top national league teams, recruiting does get impacted. There are still a lot of players that don’t commit until their junior and senior year. So, having that mixed grade team of 11th and 12th graders creates problems. However, the age group change was not done to help recruiting.

It will be interesting to see how the new recruiting rules impact early commitments. The restrictions were put in place to reduce early commitments. If this bears out, even high level teams, like the DA should be impacted.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-12-18, 11:27 AM
sportsfanofyear sportsfanofyear is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-02-12
Posts: 262
sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
The Birth Year rule change is one of the variable changing youth soccer in the U.S. (negatively) which will ultimately change high school, college, etc.

Despite soccer's worldwide popularity, recent numbers indicate that soccer is declining in the U.S. among 6-12-year-old children, a key group for the future growth of the sport. Specifically, research data indicate a 14-percent decrease, or about 600,000 fewer participants. The drop off comes while basketball, baseball, and rugby experience rises in this same age range.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-18, 08:31 AM
belied dat belied dat is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-20-08
Location: not Ohio
Posts: 440
belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfanofyear View Post
The Birth Year rule change is one of the variable changing youth soccer in the U.S. (negatively) which will ultimately change high school, college, etc.

Despite soccer's worldwide popularity, recent numbers indicate that soccer is declining in the U.S. among 6-12-year-old children, a key group for the future growth of the sport. Specifically, research data indicate a 14-percent decrease, or about 600,000 fewer participants. The drop off comes while basketball, baseball, and rugby experience rises in this same age range.
The Aspen Institute's study shows that football, basketball, and baseball are all experiencing drops since 2006. Few sports have shown increases, they are more "fringe" sports.

There's a whole list or reasons why youth sports are showing dwindling numbers in participation.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-18, 03:24 PM
buckshooter5 buckshooter5 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-05-12
Posts: 1,508
buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
I would have to agree the Cup Dynasty that Bobby Built has helped the majority of the DA kids get committed as he was really good at getting those kids looked at.
The DA does not do a great job of doing that , we will see in a year or two if they suffer from the same recruiting issues with the new age change.

But again as stated above the age change was to help promote the National teams which comes from some super narrow minded US Soccer folks with one thing in mind National Teams and screw the rest , Who let these people in control ?

I would have to say that 99.9% of the girls want to play in college and have that experience knowing the National team is nowhere in site.

Seems very counter productive to me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-18, 03:43 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,502
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
...he was really good at getting those kids looked at. The DA does not do a great job of doing that...
What evidence do you have after this past year that the DA does not do a good job of helping players get to college?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-18, 10:38 AM
buckshooter5 buckshooter5 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-05-12
Posts: 1,508
buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Go watch a few games and tell me how many local or out of town college coaches are there?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-18, 10:49 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,502
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
Go watch a few games and tell me how many local or out of town college coaches are there?
Well for starters, why would you ever broad stroke an entire program based on a few games you've seen?

In my experience, recruiters go to wherever the talent is, period. No?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-18, 01:22 PM
EXPRESS EXPRESS is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Location: West of I-75
Posts: 277
EXPRESS is on a distinguished road
A combination of the birth year change, DA and new clubs has completely diluted the talent. Teams once dominate are now average. Birth year change was not a well thought out implementation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
D-1 state tournament retrospective McClearn7 Wrestling 13 10-04-18 09:30 AM
Oak Hills Asking for More Money/Raising Your Taxes EHS 2001 Elder Panthers 76 08-08-18 05:01 PM
Sidney Yellow Jackets 2017-18 Yellow_Jacket06 Boys Basketball 513 04-20-18 08:27 AM
D-2 state tournament retrospective McClearn7 Wrestling 4 04-07-18 02:13 PM
MSL Cardinal 2017-18 The Dock Boys Basketball 6 12-11-17 11:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz