Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-06-18, 10:26 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Worst Call in History

I remembered this gem from a few years ago. I have no idea how you can mess this up as a crew...

Toledo Waite vs Toledo Scott 2014. The purple team clearly fumbled, the purple team clearly recovered and flipped the ball back to the official. The other official changes possession to the white team. The call stood.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-18, 12:54 AM
Freshman

Thekinggambler is on a distinguished road
That is a terrible call. Surprised none of the other officials corrected it and make a crew save
Old 03-07-18, 06:49 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I played in a game I can not forget, the opposing teams quarterback was over the line of scrimmage when he threw the pass and the receiver was out of bounds through the end zone when he caught the ball, touchdown!!! and we lost This happened 55 years ago and I still remember it as if it happened yesterday.
Old 03-07-18, 06:58 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I played in a game I can not forget, the opposing teams quarterback was over the line of scrimmage when he threw the pass and the receiver was out of bounds through the end zone when he caught the ball, touchdown!!! and we lost This happened 55 years ago and I still remember it as if it happened yesterday.
Post a video, Yappi posters will be the judges.
Old 03-07-18, 08:23 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
could have been a turnover on downs..
Old 03-07-18, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Wow, hold onto things a little long do we?

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 03-07-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-07-18, 08:31 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
Doubtful. Both teams looked to be heading back to their respective huddles. If this was a 4th down stop, you'd expect more of a jubilant reaction from the defensive players, wouldn't you?
Old 03-07-18, 08:49 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
We've all seen some crazy calls...... and we all have our personal 'worst of all time' calls.
Old 03-07-18, 09:25 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Do not believe the black and white eight millimeter film still exists. Do not know what the state did with the copy that was sent to them proving it happened. The year was 1962.
Old 03-07-18, 09:28 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Do not believe the black and white eight millimeter film still exists. Do not know what the state did with the copy that was sent to them proving it happened. The year was 1962.
Was it taken by Abraham Zapruder!?! I smell a conspiracy!
Old 03-07-18, 10:35 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
We've all seen some crazy calls...... and we all have our personal 'worst of all time' calls.
Yep. Gives us old folks something to talk about around the hot stove during the winter. We manage to get all of our calls right, eventually.

My personal favorite - blocking the other teams punt on 4th down while they were on their own five yard-line, the ball rolls out the back of the end zone ..... and 15 minutes of discussion later, the refs gave the ball to the punting team, first and 10, on their own 20 - touchback, and a gain of 15 yards. Even the punting team's coach was scratching his head, but he had the good sense to keep quiet about it.

The video in the OP is too short, would like to have seen the rest of it showing the reaction from everyone.
Old 03-07-18, 10:55 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post

The video in the OP is too short, would like to have seen the rest of it showing the reaction from everyone.
I have a longer version, I'll try to post it later.
Old 03-07-18, 10:55 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
It was actually first down.
Old 03-07-18, 12:59 PM
All Region

mother_goose is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Amen to that.
Old 03-07-18, 01:32 PM
Varsity

HSfootballfan21 is on a distinguished road
Lima Sr. vs. Miamisburg

1st touchdown of the game. Lima threw a deep fade and the ball hit the ground and was laying on the ground, the Lima WR picked up the ball to give to the ref and the ref raised his hands up for a touchdown.
Old 03-07-18, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSfootballfan21 View Post
Lima Sr. vs. Miamisburg

1st touchdown of the game. Lima threw a deep fade and the ball hit the ground and was laying on the ground, the Lima WR picked up the ball to give to the ref and the ref raised his hands up for a touchdown.
All the complaints about showboating, when a young player respectfully hands the ball to the ref, that deserves 6 points.
Old 03-07-18, 04:29 PM
All District

OLDGOLD is on a distinguished road
Does anyone recall a game a few yrs ago between Ursuline and Mooney where the officials reversed a call after another play was already run? I have a vague memory of laughing about how these calls usually go against anyone visiting either of those schools.
Old 03-08-18, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Hubbard vs Akron SVSM
Old 03-08-18, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Playoff game.

Wyoming going for an end of half FG. Coldwater blocks it, ends up in the hands of one of their fastest players returning it for a TD.

Inadvertent whistle during the run back.

Do over and Wyoming decodes to go for it and scores a TD.

12 to 14, well could be 16 but doubtful, point turn around.
Old 03-08-18, 03:24 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
The team I follow was playing a near by rival school 15+ years ago at their place. We had a very good team with an outstanding QB. Not once, but twice, in the same quarter (may have been on the same series) there was an inadvertent whistle on a misdirection play as the runner was going for a TD. I wouldn't call those "worst calls", but clearly should have embarrassed the officiating crew when it happened the second time.
Old 03-08-18, 03:43 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lima Sr. vs. Miamisburg

Saw this play on utube.. it was a horrible call and eventually was the difference, even though it happened early..
Old 03-08-18, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lima Sr. vs. Miamisburg

Justin Wicks state title game winning TD pays was sort of like that. The local tv highlight had a camera in the EZ the ball slide down th3 receiver to the ground and the players knew it. The WR looked very surprised when it was given a TD
Old 03-08-18, 04:36 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes we do!
Old 03-08-18, 04:46 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
LOL. Well done.
Old 03-09-18, 11:58 AM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
2001 D3 State Finals :

Mentor Lake Catholic / Cols. DeSales

3rd qt DeSales up 14-7

MLC 4th and 2 at the 2

Runner clearly tackled at the 1 yard line and out of bounds called
a TD .

Tying the Score 14-14

DeSales loses in OT 27-21
Old 03-09-18, 03:39 PM
Freshman

Spaylaywathepi is on a distinguished road
One of the worst calls I've ever seen occurred this past season. It's fourth down, team tries for a tying field goal late in the game. Kicker misses probably the biggest kick of his life and falls to the ground, no one touched him. He's rolling around in disgust when an official, who undoubtedly was watching the ball, walks over and is clearly talking to him. Both teams have already gone to the sidelines expecting a change of possession. Finally, out comes a flag.... roughing the kicker, half the distance and a first down! Team scores and wins the game. Kicker gets an "A+" for acting. Official gets an "F-" for letting a 16 year old clearly influence his call.
Old 03-09-18, 04:18 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Moeller-Colerain game at Colerain several years ago. It was not a fumble.
Old 03-10-18, 09:43 PM
All Ohio

warren1st is on a distinguished road
Warren Harding vs Massillon 1965. WGH leading Massillon late in 4th quarter and have the ball on the Tigers 10 yard line Warren tries a double reverse and one of the backs fumbles the ball. The WGH QB falls on the loose ball and cradles it with both arms as ball is totally under his chest. A Massillon kid sticks his arm out toward the ball and officials rule Massillon’s ball. They went down and scored to win 16-12.

Second time WGH was denied a SC playing at Massillon. The first being the infamous “1957 Clock Game.”

It’s true Egret!!
Old 03-10-18, 09:55 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
You probably remember the bad call when it really harms your team. Luckily, my HS hasn't ever had a really bad call for or against them. Questionable, yes, but nothing really bizarre.

Over the years, I've seen some bad calls. But, the most bizarre was just this past year in Kentucky.

Team A had the ball in the shadow of their own endzone. QB take the snap, drops back and rolls to his right, and the official blows the whistle and puts his hands up for a safety. Team B goes wild, running off the field, Team A and fans just look dumbfounded. He wasn't tackled. Nothing looked amiss. The thought I had was it was offensive holding in the endzone and the official inadvertently blew the play dead for it.

After almost five minutes of deliberation and discussion with the two coaches, they finally spot the ball back where the last play started and replay the down.

Turns out, the sideline official had THOUGHT the QB ran across the endline and not the goal line, when he blew the play dead.

First time I'd seen a do-over called in a game. Nothing really happened in the play for one team's benefit or the other (not like there was a wide-open receiver he was throwing to, or a clear blitz about to drive the QB into a sure safety). But, just bizarre that the official was that far off from where he thought he was on the field.

What makes it a real head scratcher, is that even though it was a grass field, the enzones were painted, so it's obvious what is and isn't the endzone.
Old 03-11-18, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
What makes it a real head scratcher, is that even though it was a grass field, the enzones were painted, so it's obvious what is and isn't the endzone.
No paint made it a head scratcher? As opposed to the endline and the endzone being ten yards apart? Paint or no paint...

I think the ref maybe just had a brain fart. Perhaps a flashback to a day when the goalposts were on the goal line. What's that been in high school?