Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-06-18, 02:36 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
Buttermore leaves Tri-Valley for Granville

Justin Buttermore accepted the Granville head football coaching job. Met with TV players and told them today. Big gain for Granville. Big loss for Tri-Valley. I wish him all the luck in the world. He certainly put Tri-Valley football on the state map.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-18, 02:50 PM
All Region

Rambo1980 is on a distinguished road
Interesting move.

Financial? Maxed-out at Tri-Valley? Get closer to Columbus?
Old 03-06-18, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Obviously saw him leaving at some point, but that's a surprising move.
Old 03-06-18, 03:39 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
The LCL big division is weak. Licking Heights is decent along with Licking Valley. Granville has a lot of talent but no where close to what T-Valley has.

I think the new coach will get Granville to a point where they can compete in the league but can't see them being anywhere near what Tri- Valley is.
Old 03-06-18, 03:55 PM
Junior Varsity

armchairqb99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
The LCL big division is weak. Licking Heights is decent along with Licking Valley. Granville has a lot of talent but no where close to what T-Valley has.

I think the new coach will get Granville to a point where they can compete in the league but can't see them being anywhere near what Tri- Valley is.

You are grossly underestimating this coach.....not trying to make him God, I am just saying you are underestimating him. It might not be overnight, but it won't take that long. His weight room program is almost second to none, as well as his ability to motivate players and his level of preparation is through the roof. Yes, players play and coaches don't, but you will see Granville at the level of Tri-Valley in a short period of time.
Old 03-06-18, 04:02 PM
All Yappi

Not underestimating the coach at all. I am familiar enough with Granville to stick to my statement.

This coach with some of the Granville tams in the past,then I could see it.
Old 03-06-18, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

Tri-Valley basically sucked monkey balls for 30 years before he got there.

Just sayin.
Old 03-06-18, 04:35 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Tri-Valley basically sucked monkey balls for 30 years before he got there.

Just sayin.
Yep, the well must be dry
Old 03-06-18, 04:58 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Granville hasn't been able to compete in their league? I thought they were pretty decent year in and year out? I know they have never won a playoff game, but I thought they typically had pretty good regular seasons.
Old 03-06-18, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

They compete n the league, more times then not. The league is usually weak competing in it really should not be hard to maintain or even get to the point where they win it more than Valley or Heights.

Getting wins in the playoffs IMO will take a lot longer.

This year is a great chance for them and then it will be a rebuilding process.

Play half of your schedule against smaller schools, with three of them not very good, makes a teams record look a lot better than it actually is.

Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN; 03-07-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 06:05 PM
Junior Varsity

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Granville hasnít had anything close to the caliber of coach as Buttermore in the past...and they continue to grow.
Old 03-07-18, 08:12 AM
All District

1995 is on a distinguished road
One could argue that Granville's schedule is as tough or maybe even tougher than Tri-Valley's.
Old 03-07-18, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

As tough? Most years, probably yeah. Tougher? That's a reach.
Old 03-07-18, 09:24 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Tough loss for Tri-Valley. I learned a lot about them and gained a lot of respect for the program both at the beginning and, especially, at the end of last season. I hope they can continue to build on the success that Coach Buttermore has started there.
Old 03-07-18, 12:34 PM
All American

Quote:
They compete n the league, more times then not. The league is usually weak competing in it really should not be hard to maintain or even get to the point where they win in more than Valley or Heights.

Getting wins in the playoffs IMO will take a lot longer.

This year is a great chance for them and then it will be a rebuilding process.

Play half of your schedule against smaller schools, with three of them not very good, makes a teams record look a lot better than it actually is.
LOL. Granville got blown out last year in the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure all of their other playoff losses were very close, a couple in OT. So one would think, given Buttermore's success in the playoffs, that winning at Granville shouldn't be all that difficult. Unless of course you have some sort of inside info about the program there.
Old 03-07-18, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

After going back and looking it up, the playoffs have not been kind to Granville.
Old 03-07-18, 04:04 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Coach Buttermore is an outstanding coach. Granville is a job that makes the playoffs most years and is hungry for a playoff win. I feel coach butts will bring them that win and maybe more.
Old 03-07-18, 06:17 PM
Varsity

gcfqn is on a distinguished road
This move is a shocker.
Old 03-07-18, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Go back and look at their playoff history, it is very short, so no they do not make the playoffs most years. They seldom make the playoff and play in a league that is very weak overall,most years.
Old 03-07-18, 06:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Go back and look at their playoff history, it is very short, so no they do not make the playoffs most years. They seldom make the playoff and play in a league that is very weak overall,most years.
How short is it compared to Tri Valley's before Buttermore arrived? It looks like they have made the playoffs 6 of the last 10 seasons, and were 9th one year.
Old 03-07-18, 06:58 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Tough loss for Tri-Valley. I admired Coach Buttermore both times he played SVSM. Good luck to him in his new venture.
Old 03-07-18, 07:05 PM
All Yappi

I have no clue about Tri-Valley history before Coach B. was there.
I can't see them competing with Hartley this year, even if they run through their pretty easy schedule this season.
Sheridan should be a win(D-3)
Hamilton Township should be a win(D-3)
Northland another win(D-2)
Johnstown a toss up (D-5)
Utica another win(D-4)
Licking Heights Toss up(D-2)
Northridge Win(D-5)
Lakewood Win(D-4)
Licking Valley Toss Up(D-4)
Watkins Win(D-2)
Old 03-07-18, 07:58 PM
Freshman

goredrage is on a distinguished road
Granville will not beat Sheridan this year.
Old 03-07-18, 09:26 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Great coach. Winning programs are built in the other 30-40 some weeks of the year. Shame if 20ish kids open-enrolled or whatever into TV for the coach. Would have been interesting to see him coach them in R7. He's got his work cut out for him at Granville. They're soft. Probably too late to impact strength culture this season. Give him a couple or three seasons and see what he can do.

Honestly, it seems like a step down. Would have been more awesome to see him step into Licking Heights or some other nearly ready-made place with the right demographics for combining speed and blue collar work ethic for strength.
Old 03-08-18, 10:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Great coach. Winning programs are built in the other 30-40 some weeks of the year. Shame if 20ish kids open-enrolled or whatever into TV for the coach. Would have been interesting to see him coach them in R7. He's got his work cut out for him at Granville. They're soft. Probably too late to impact strength culture this season. Give him a couple or three seasons and see what he can do.

Honestly, it seems like a step down. Would have been more awesome to see him step into Licking Heights or some other nearly ready-made place with the right demographics for combining speed and blue collar work ethic for strength.
Licking Heights has a coach.....Granville did not until now. Granville can be a sleeping giant in DIII with Buttermore at the helm now. As I stated before, nothing built to last happens overnight. But they will be a consistent winner from here on out. As long as he is at Granville, and at this point I have no reason to believe he will not retire from there, they will consistently be at the top of the LCL, if not win it, and be a regular in the playoffs. After a few years of toughening up the program from top to bottom, they will advance far into playoffs as Tri-Valley did and be a state contender. We all know talent comes and goes, but culture dictates how far you can take any level of talent. And in this case, the culture will change for the better.
Old 03-08-18, 10:32 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I'm seeing a lot about the impact Coach Buttermore will have Granville, but not too much about the impact his absence will have on Tri-Valley. It has to be a tough loss, but is there someone ready to step in? Is the coaching staff going with him, or are they staying put? What sayeth thee TV fans?
Old 03-08-18, 10:54 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I'm seeing a lot about the impact Coach Buttermore will have Granville, but not too much about the impact his absence will have on Tri-Valley. It has to be a tough loss, but is there someone ready to step in? Is the coaching staff going with him, or are they staying put? What sayeth thee TV fans?
In my opinion, obviously worst thing that could happen for TV. Staff is a solid staff. I do believe it will suffer from one or two coaches following Buttermore to Granville, but still a good staff. Nothing lasts forever, and this day would have come eventually, if not now then sometime in the future. Someone else's time to shine at TV. However, I believe it will set them back. How much remains to be seen.
Old 03-08-18, 12:22 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Wow! Big get for Granville, and huge loss for TV. I wonder why, on its surface this is barely a lateral move. Money? Cupboard bare? Admin support?
Old 03-08-18, 12:49 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Wow! Big get for Granville, and huge loss for TV. I wonder why, on its surface this is barely a lateral move. Money? Cupboard bare? Admin support?
I believe that he was racking up something to the effect of two hours round trip travel to Tri-Valley. I think he lives in the Pickerington/Hebron/Newark area. But thatís what Iíve heard second-hand. He might have been living in (the) Dresden (area) the whole time; unsure.

It might be a lateral move from a football perspective, but I canít think of too many educators that would pass up a chance to teach at a Blue Ribbon school such as Granville.
Old 03-08-18, 01:01 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I believe that he was racking up something to the effect of two hours round trip travel to Tri-Valley. I think he lives in the Pickerington/Hebron/Newark area. But thatís what Iíve heard second-hand. He might have been living in (the) Dresden (area) the whole time; unsure.

It might be a lateral move from a football perspective, but I canít think of too many educators that would pass up a chance to teach at a Blue Ribbon school such as Granville.
He has a house in Dresden but this is all money. Go from 75k to 92k

Justin Buttermore makes 68,000 as a teacher and 7,000 as a football coach

JR Wait at Granville made 79,000 as a teacher, 8,300 as football coach, and another 4,600 in extra football money