Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-04-18, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Think what you will, but using your rough time frame, going back to 2000, Brecksville has won 20 more games than Stow and had a better record in 12 of those seasons and the same record in 2. I'm looking beyond the last 3 or 4 years which have been the best in Stow's history.
Not in history, but in recent history. Had a great stretch from 89-93 or so that the teams were actually more dominant yet, but a weak conference kept them JUST out of the playoffs in all but one year, when only top 4 teams from each district made the playoffs. The most frustrating was a team that was 9-0-1 and outscored opponents (something like) 550-63 on the season, but a 6-6 tie with Cardinal Mooney in a downpour in the final game of the season cost them the playoffs. Coach Mattes decided to run one more play instead of downing the ball in the last seconds, and a fumble was returned for a tying touchdown.
Old 03-04-18, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
Not in history, but in recent history. Had a great stretch from 89-93 or so that the teams were actually more dominant yet, but a weak conference kept them JUST out of the playoffs in all but one year, when only top 4 teams from each district made the playoffs. The most frustrating was a team that was 9-0-1 and outscored opponents (something like) 550-63 on the season, but a 6-6 tie with Cardinal Mooney in a downpour in the final game of the season cost them the playoffs. Coach Mattes decided to run one more play instead of downing the ball in the last seconds, and a fumble was returned for a tying touchdown.
Good info stoike.
Old 03-05-18, 12:37 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Boy, I’ll bet that one caused bad dreams for years. Poor guy. With Nori and now Poder gone, let’s see how the kids respond, to new faces and systems. Sometimes it takes a year or 3, for things to click. Go Dogs !
Old 03-05-18, 02:18 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
Boy, Iíll bet that one caused bad dreams for years. Poor guy. With Nori and now Poder gone, letís see how the kids respond, to new faces and systems. Sometimes it takes a year or 3, for things to click. Go Dogs !
I think the talent in Stow this coming season is supposed to be a bit down but overall I feel like Stow is in a good position to consistently be in the top of the league and in the playoffs most years.
Old 03-05-18, 09:37 PM
Junior Varsity

0-16gobrowns is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by High1978 View Post
I guess Iím confused on why this is such a good hire? In his ď25%Ē longer stay at his previous job he has a 10 win/10 loss difference than what Nori accomplished at Stow. I guess my biggest question with the hire is: If in his time there, he had 15 D1 and 15 D2 recruits, why wasnít he able to win more games?

I believe Nori only had 2 D1 recruits in his time at Stow. Is this guy going to be able to win when, on paper, the talent isnít even close to what he had before?

Because he was in the same conference as Pickerington Central. Could not beat them !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-18, 08:59 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
It looks to me like Nori is going into a "no lose" situation, where Phillips may be going into a "no win" situation. With a new program, Nori will have a long honeymoon with the fan base to give him time to build a winner. For Phillips, if what I am reading about the talent base is accurate, then he may be headed for some choppy waters if the fan base expects him to "win now!". The comparisons to Nori could come quickly, fairly or unfairly, if Stow struggles. Phillips has been a coach for a long time and he knows how to handle the ups and downs, I am sure. Still, I hope the fan base gives him the benefit of the doubt and gives him time to develop his program.
Old 03-06-18, 11:51 AM
All Region

Rambo1980 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-16gobrowns View Post
Because he was in the same conference as Pickerington Central. Could not beat them !

Phillips also took over a brand new program similar to Nori in 2007 that was in year 4 of opening.

Also, talent is a little more rich and competitive in the OCC with the suburbs of Columbus growing like crazy.

Guy is a winner!

He could beat PC. Games were competitive. I know he didn't win as much as he should have vs. them, but had a 3 game stretch where he "smoked" them in 2011/2012 I believe
Old 03-08-18, 12:52 PM
Freshman

the Big "D" is on a distinguished road
Not that season

Quote:
Actually, the 9-0-1 season came in 1980. The game that you are referring to was around 1988 and Cardinal Mooney beat Stow 7-6. Stow fumbled the ball with about 1:28 left on the clock. Too much time to try to run the clock out and the fact that Mooney had already blocked the previous punt, called for running a play. Stow went on to make the playoffs and got beat by the eventual state champ St. Ignatius. (Iggy was declared national champs that year too !)
Old 03-08-18, 02:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Big "D" View Post
Actually, the 9-0-1 season came in 1980. The game that you are referring to was around 1988 and Cardinal Mooney beat Stow 7-6. Stow fumbled the ball with about 1:28 left on the clock. Too much time to try to run the clock out and the fact that Mooney had already blocked the previous punt, called for running a play. Stow went on to make the playoffs and got beat by the eventual state champ St. Ignatius. (Iggy was declared national champs that year too !)
Geez, I crossed up that many seasons?

The only thing is....I would have been 9 when the 9-0-1 season occurred....and I SWEAR it was during that "just missed the playoffs again" era.

I recall losing to Cleveland St. Ignatius in the first round one year. Ted Gregory (one year behind me) was the star. And Scott Walker (my neighbor) was the QB for (arguably) the most dominant team ever at Stow. That was a good era of football. The Tom Swing era was great too...
Old 03-08-18, 05:50 PM
Junior Varsity

0-16gobrowns is on a distinguished road
Stow Coach Leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo1980 View Post
Phillips also took over a brand new program similar to Nori in 2007 that was in year 4 of opening.

Also, talent is a little more rich and competitive in the OCC with the suburbs of Columbus growing like crazy.

Guy is a winner!

He could beat PC. Games were competitive. I know he didn't win as much as he should have vs. them, but had a 3 game stretch where he "smoked" them in 2011/2012 I believe

The guy had Jake Butt and Godwin igwebuike in 2011 and Jake Butt in 2012. Thatís the only reason they won those two years. But somehow someway always drop the ball when It came to bring it again Central Any other time. He had a solid team in 2016 and still couldnít beat Central. Then He got to the playoffs in 2016 started talking trash on Central. Central then took them apart in the playoffs. Soon after he left. It is very hard to be relevant when you keep getting beaten up by your big brother time after time. Wonder what he is going to do now if he canít beat his rivals with his new team. I bet heís there less than three years

Old 03-08-18, 09:31 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Walking down memory lane, 1962 the Bulldogs went 9-1, 7-0 in the Metro. Led by Kip Koski (Iowa State) and Larry Csonka who we all remember. They had an opening night loss to a very good Akron Hoban team, then ran off 9 straight. The coach was Dick Fortner, who later had Kenmore playing on Thanksgiving Day.
Old 03-09-18, 10:14 AM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the guy St V should have hired. A go getter.
Old 03-09-18, 01:09 PM
Freshman

the Big "D" is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Geez, I crossed up that many seasons?

The only thing is....I would have been 9 when the 9-0-1 season occurred....and I SWEAR it was during that "just missed the playoffs again" era.

I recall losing to Cleveland St. Ignatius in the first round one year. Ted Gregory (one year behind me) was the star. And Scott Walker (my neighbor) was the QB for (arguably) the most dominant team ever at Stow. That was a good era of football. The Tom Swing era was great too...
Actually, Stow lost to Iggy in the second round, after thrashing Berea-Midpark in the first game. Brad Wollenzier ran for seven (7) TDs against Midpark and Chris McGurk was the QB. Walker was the QB the following year. Everyone who watched that 88 team can surly argue that they were the best. Gregory and Wollenzier in the backfield were quite a duo. (great line and defense too) Fun to watch and fun to remember. Mattes is still the winningest coach in Stow history. Nori could have caught him, but like Mattes, he jumped ship for a better paying job.
Old 03-11-18, 05:10 PM
All Region

Stow78alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually, Stow lost to Iggy in the second round, after thrashing Berea-Midpark in the first game. Brad Wollenzier ran for seven (7) TDs against Midpark and Chris McGurk was the QB. Walker was the QB the following year. Everyone who watched that 88 team can surly argue that they were the best. Gregory and Wollenzier in the backfield were quite a duo. (great line and defense too) Fun to watch and fun to remember. Mattes is still the winningest coach in Stow history. Nori could have caught him, but like Mattes, he jumped ship for a better paying job.
But didn't Mattes "jump" back to Stow also?
Old 03-11-18, 08:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I cannot believe that I forgot that game against Midpark. Wollenzier had something like 333 yards. Interesting that the Wildcat team that beat them won the state, and was the beginning of an incredible era for Chuck Kyle and company. The game got really chippy...I remember a brawl following a cheap shot on McGurk and big Ted Gregory seeking vengeance on some unfortunate Iggy players