Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-26-18, 03:07 PM
Freshman

TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Stow will be very happy with this hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-18, 09:37 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Official

https://twitter.com/MBeavenABJ/statu...96860317298689

He'll be a good one for Stow. Did a wonderful job at Boardman and everywhere else he's been.
Old 02-26-18, 09:56 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Best of luck Coach Philips. Go Dogs !!!
Old 02-26-18, 10:16 PM
All Ohio

stoike is on a distinguished road
He is a good coach, but still surprised that they did not go a younger route. How many years does Tom Phillips have left "in the tank"? What makes me wonder is that I was reading an article and he said that he was contemplating retirement a few years ago....
Old 02-26-18, 10:57 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...-football-team
Old 02-27-18, 08:22 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
He is a good coach, but still surprised that they did not go a younger route. How many years does Tom Phillips have left "in the tank"? What makes me wonder is that I was reading an article and he said that he was contemplating retirement a few years ago....

Coach Phillips is in his early 50’s, not his early 70’s. I have 9 children (5 sons and 4 daughters). Of my 5 kids who have graduated high school, 3 played college sports (2 football and one softball), 1 has her masters degree, and one is a US Marine. I’ve had three sons play for Coach Phillips. He will provide the mature and stable leadership and guidance that our young men of today are in great need of. He runs a program based on personal growth, building character, accountability and responsibility. And he’s a hell of a football mind as well. He’s put countless players in college football (many D1’s) and has a couple in the NFL (Pat Elflein, Jake Butt) and you’ll see another get drafted this year (Godwin Igwebuike). The man knows what he is doing. A mature program on the rise like Stow needs this kind of leadership continuity. Like I said, the people of Stow will be happy with this hire.

Old 02-27-18, 08:32 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I understand he does not have a teaching certification. What other job will they find him in the district?
Old 02-27-18, 08:40 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I understand he does not have a teaching certification. What other job will they find him in the district?

I would be surprised if that is true. He’s only been out of the high school environment for a year. He was the director of Pickerington’s Community School and taught some classes as recently as the 2015/16 school year.

Old 02-27-18, 12:03 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Glancing through this thread as the news was released regarding Stow's new football coach, I was amused how many experts on here who supposedly had inside sources had absolutely no idea what was going down during this interview process and hire. Not even close. Some of you need better sources and not rumor mongers to talk to. A lot of armchair human resource directors out there! Some of the names thrown around on here supposedly were never in the picture.

And I love the U-turn comment. Like their source was so solid that the committee must have changed their minds and the whole process must be in disarray!! Hahaha.

Good luck to the new Stow football coach. Don't talk to these people for advice or who to hire for your staff!
Old 02-27-18, 12:50 PM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Seems like this guys has bounced around a lot...
Old 02-27-18, 12:52 PM
All District

NEOballer is on a distinguished road
I wonder where this leaves Poder.
Old 02-27-18, 01:15 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Seems like this guys has bounced around a lot...

Let me get this straight...you read his bio which includes things like Conference Coach of the Year (multiple times), CDFA Coach of the Year (multiple times), conference titles, state playoff runs, assistant athletic director, Community School administrator, District Drug and Alcohol Prevention Coordinator. He was at his last high school spot for TEN years (25% longer than Nori was at Stow). He joined the UC Staff as the Player Personnel guy because of his long history of success with identifying and developing college level talent. He decides after a year of that venture that his place in on the field mentoring young men and not behind a desk building profiles and watching player highlight reels. You read all of that and your response is “he seems to move around a lot”. You all need to get behind this guy and support him 100%...its a GREAT hire and you should applaud the school administrators for it.

Old 02-27-18, 02:46 PM
Freshman

High1978 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGunz View Post
Let me get this straight...you read his bio which includes things like Conference Coach of the Year (multiple times), CDFA Coach of the Year (multiple times), conference titles, state playoff runs, assistant athletic director, Community School administrator, District Drug and Alcohol Prevention Coordinator. He was at his last high school spot for TEN years (25% longer than Nori was at Stow). He joined the UC Staff as the Player Personnel guy because of his long history of success with identifying and developing college level talent. He decides after a year of that venture that his place in on the field mentoring young men and not behind a desk building profiles and watching player highlight reels. You read all of that and your response is “he seems to move around a lot”. You all need to get behind this guy and support him 100%...its a GREAT hire and you should applaud the school administrators for it.

I guess I’m confused on why this is such a good hire? In his “25%” longer stay at his previous job he has a 10 win/10 loss difference than what Nori accomplished at Stow. I guess my biggest question with the hire is: If in his time there, he had 15 D1 and 15 D2 recruits, why wasn’t he able to win more games?

I believe Nori only had 2 D1 recruits in his time at Stow. Is this guy going to be able to win when, on paper, the talent isn’t even close to what he had before?
Old 02-27-18, 02:50 PM
All District

Welcome to Yappi TeddyGunz & High1978! One of you joined because you love Phillips, the other because you don't.
Old 02-27-18, 03:21 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOballer View Post
Welcome to Yappi TeddyGunz & High1978! One of you joined because you love Phillips, the other because you don't.

I actually joined Yappi a while ago. I’m now reminded why I’ve never been an active participant until yesterday. The lack of desire to post positive, uplifting, and supportive comments puzzles me. “Good Coach” is not always defined by scoreboard, win-loss record, or state championships. If state championships define who is a good coach then we’ve got a lot inadequacies here in Ohio every fall. Having grown up in the Akron area, living in Columbus for almost 30 years, moving back to NE OH 2 years ago, and raising many young athletes while being heavily involved in youth and school coaching, I can tell you that I have seen a LOT (as many other folks reading this have). My sons (and daughters) have played for what I would consider to be good coaches and for bad coaches. Never have I used the scoreboard to make that judgement. Ultimately, at this level, that’s how coaches are going to be judged; I get that. What I can tell you is that my 3 sons that played for Coach Phillips are better men for the experience. And they were often in the position (in large part due to Coach Phillip’s preparation) to win key games and capture titles. Some times the players took advantage of those opportunities, and sometimes those players did not. Blaming coaches rather than teaching players to accept accountability is the job of us parents, I guess. People of Stow your sons are in good hands. You can rest assured you have a coach that will take a sincere interest in the well being and future of your boys. If you want someone who will build men, you have a good hire.

Old 02-27-18, 03:26 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Tom Phillips is an outstanding football coach. I don’t know exactly what his record was at Pick North but I believe it was pretty good. The school has hired a good man and coach.
Old 02-28-18, 08:13 AM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Tom Phillips is outstanding football coach. And will do well at Stow. He coach for 10+ years in arguably one of the toughest conference in the state. In the toughest division the Ohio division
Old 02-28-18, 12:02 PM
All Ohio

ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by High1978 View Post
I guess I’m confused on why this is such a good hire? In his “25%” longer stay at his previous job he has a 10 win/10 loss difference than what Nori accomplished at Stow. I guess my biggest question with the hire is: If in his time there, he had 15 D1 and 15 D2 recruits, why wasn’t he able to win more games?

I believe Nori only had 2 D1 recruits in his time at Stow. Is this guy going to be able to win when, on paper, the talent isn’t even close to what he had before?
Move on Nori left he is not coming back!
Old 02-28-18, 12:03 PM
All Ohio

ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I actually joined Yappi a while ago. I’m now reminded why I’ve never been an active participant until yesterday. The lack of desire to post positive, uplifting, and supportive comments puzzles me. “Good Coach” is not always defined by scoreboard, win-loss record, or state championships. If state championships define who is a good coach then we’ve got a lot inadequacies here in Ohio every fall. Having grown up in the Akron area, living in Columbus for almost 30 years, moving back to NE OH 2 years ago, and raising many young athletes while being heavily involved in youth and school coaching, I can tell you that I have seen a LOT (as many other folks reading this have). My sons (and daughters) have played for what I would consider to be good coaches and for bad coaches. Never have I used the scoreboard to make that judgement. Ultimately, at this level, that’s how coaches are going to be judged; I get that. What I can tell you is that my 3 sons that played for Coach Phillips are better men for the experience. And they were often in the position (in large part due to Coach Phillip’s preparation) to win key games and capture titles. Some times the players took advantage of those opportunities, and sometimes those players did not. Blaming coaches rather than teaching players to accept accountability is the job of us parents, I guess. People of Stow your sons are in good hands. You can rest assured you have a coach that will take a sincere interest in the well being and future of your boys. If you want someone who will build men, you have a good hire.

Old 02-28-18, 01:57 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
They created a job for him dealing with teacher and student safety issues. Wow, is that timely.
Old 02-28-18, 02:20 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
They created a job for him dealing with teacher and student safety issues. Wow, is that timely.

Essentially, as I understand things, it is a Guidance position focusing on “At-Risk” students (Truancy/Behavioral). Additionally counseling and mentoring academics (NCAA Compliance Review). I don’t know whether that was created or not. The ‘teacher and student safety issues’ part of the equation may be a facet recently added in light of the current environment and the need for heightened attention.

Old 02-28-18, 06:05 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know what type of offense the new Head Coach likes to run? Does he develop QB's?
Old 02-28-18, 06:20 PM
Freshman

Stow Coach Leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Does anyone know what type of offense the new Head Coach likes to run? Does he develop QB's?

I’ve watched him run the spread. By memory I would tell you that of his last 4 QBs at Pickerington one played LB at Ashland, one played QB at Charleston State, one went to the Air Force Academy, and the most recent has committed to Wofford as a QB. Another back up QB played FS at East Tenn State.

Old 03-01-18, 08:21 AM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Essentially, as I understand things, it is a Guidance position focusing on “At-Risk” students (Truancy/Behavioral). Additionally counseling and mentoring academics (NCAA Compliance Review). I don’t know whether that was created or not. The ‘teacher and student safety issues’ part of the equation may be a facet recently added in light of the current environment and the need for heightened attention.

At Pickerington North he was a principal of the community school.
Old 03-01-18, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I’ve watched him run the spread. By memory I would tell you that of his last 4 QBs at Pickerington one played LB at Ashland, one played QB at Charleston State, one went to the Air Force Academy, and the most recent has committed to Wofford as a QB. Another back up QB played FS at East Tenn State.

Thanks TeddyGunz. I appreciate the info you provided. Sounds like he runs a pretty good offense and can help develop QB's. Good stuff.
Old 03-01-18, 04:23 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Thanks TeddyGunz. I appreciate the info you provided. Sounds like he runs a pretty good offense and can help develop QB's. Good stuff.

You’re welcome. And in case you’re interested and missed it.,,
https://m.soundcloud.com/wakr-newsta...football-coach

Old 03-01-18, 05:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
You’re welcome. And in case you’re interested and missed it.,,
https://m.soundcloud.com/wakr-newsta...football-coach

I listened to the podcast. It was well done. Thanks for sending that out too. Again, I appreciate it. Can't wait for Friday Night Lights!!
Old 03-02-18, 03:37 PM
All District

Martin Poder lands the Brecksville job. I think both Stow and Brecksville made out well in their searches.

https://twitter.com/CoachPoder/statu...56229042761728
Old 03-02-18, 06:06 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
I didn't even know Breckville was open. What happened to the previous coach there?
Old 03-02-18, 06:42 PM
All Yappi

Nice opportunity for Poder at Brecksville! Good luck to him.