Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 02-26-18, 03:07 PM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Stow will be very happy with this hire.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 02-26-18, 09:37 PM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 3,405
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Official

https://twitter.com/MBeavenABJ/statu...96860317298689


He'll be a good one for Stow. Did a wonderful job at Boardman and everywhere else he's been.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 02-26-18, 09:56 PM
buckeye53 buckeye53 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-30-14
Location: The Sierra Nevada, NorCal
Posts: 591
buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Best of luck Coach Philips. Go Dogs !!!
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 02-26-18, 10:16 PM
stoike stoike is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-12-09
Posts: 573
stoike is on a distinguished road
He is a good coach, but still surprised that they did not go a younger route. How many years does Tom Phillips have left "in the tank"? What makes me wonder is that I was reading an article and he said that he was contemplating retirement a few years ago....
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 02-26-18, 10:57 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,763
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...-football-team
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 02-27-18, 08:22 AM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
He is a good coach, but still surprised that they did not go a younger route. How many years does Tom Phillips have left "in the tank"? What makes me wonder is that I was reading an article and he said that he was contemplating retirement a few years ago....


Coach Phillips is in his early 50’s, not his early 70’s. I have 9 children (5 sons and 4 daughters). Of my 5 kids who have graduated high school, 3 played college sports (2 football and one softball), 1 has her masters degree, and one is a US Marine. I’ve had three sons play for Coach Phillips. He will provide the mature and stable leadership and guidance that our young men of today are in great need of. He runs a program based on personal growth, building character, accountability and responsibility. And he’s a hell of a football mind as well. He’s put countless players in college football (many D1’s) and has a couple in the NFL (Pat Elflein, Jake Butt) and you’ll see another get drafted this year (Godwin Igwebuike). The man knows what he is doing. A mature program on the rise like Stow needs this kind of leadership continuity. Like I said, the people of Stow will be happy with this hire.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 02-27-18, 08:32 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I understand he does not have a teaching certification. What other job will they find him in the district?
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 02-27-18, 08:40 AM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I understand he does not have a teaching certification. What other job will they find him in the district?


I would be surprised if that is true. He’s only been out of the high school environment for a year. He was the director of Pickerington’s Community School and taught some classes as recently as the 2015/16 school year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 02-27-18, 12:03 PM
Look Ma No Hands Look Ma No Hands is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-04-06
Posts: 838
Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Glancing through this thread as the news was released regarding Stow's new football coach, I was amused how many experts on here who supposedly had inside sources had absolutely no idea what was going down during this interview process and hire. Not even close. Some of you need better sources and not rumor mongers to talk to. A lot of armchair human resource directors out there! Some of the names thrown around on here supposedly were never in the picture.

And I love the U-turn comment. Like their source was so solid that the committee must have changed their minds and the whole process must be in disarray!! Hahaha.

Good luck to the new Stow football coach. Don't talk to these people for advice or who to hire for your staff!
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 02-27-18, 12:50 PM
Rusty Anchor Rusty Anchor is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 02-09-18
Posts: 127
Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Seems like this guys has bounced around a lot...
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 02-27-18, 12:52 PM
NEOballer NEOballer is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-27-12
Posts: 148
NEOballer is on a distinguished road
I wonder where this leaves Poder.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 02-27-18, 01:15 PM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Seems like this guys has bounced around a lot...


Let me get this straight...you read his bio which includes things like Conference Coach of the Year (multiple times), CDFA Coach of the Year (multiple times), conference titles, state playoff runs, assistant athletic director, Community School administrator, District Drug and Alcohol Prevention Coordinator. He was at his last high school spot for TEN years (25% longer than Nori was at Stow). He joined the UC Staff as the Player Personnel guy because of his long history of success with identifying and developing college level talent. He decides after a year of that venture that his place in on the field mentoring young men and not behind a desk building profiles and watching player highlight reels. You read all of that and your response is “he seems to move around a lot”. You all need to get behind this guy and support him 100%...its a GREAT hire and you should applaud the school administrators for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 02-27-18, 02:46 PM
High1978 High1978 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-08-18
Posts: 3
High1978 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGunz View Post
Let me get this straight...you read his bio which includes things like Conference Coach of the Year (multiple times), CDFA Coach of the Year (multiple times), conference titles, state playoff runs, assistant athletic director, Community School administrator, District Drug and Alcohol Prevention Coordinator. He was at his last high school spot for TEN years (25% longer than Nori was at Stow). He joined the UC Staff as the Player Personnel guy because of his long history of success with identifying and developing college level talent. He decides after a year of that venture that his place in on the field mentoring young men and not behind a desk building profiles and watching player highlight reels. You read all of that and your response is “he seems to move around a lot”. You all need to get behind this guy and support him 100%...its a GREAT hire and you should applaud the school administrators for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I guess I’m confused on why this is such a good hire? In his “25%” longer stay at his previous job he has a 10 win/10 loss difference than what Nori accomplished at Stow. I guess my biggest question with the hire is: If in his time there, he had 15 D1 and 15 D2 recruits, why wasn’t he able to win more games?

I believe Nori only had 2 D1 recruits in his time at Stow. Is this guy going to be able to win when, on paper, the talent isn’t even close to what he had before?
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 02-27-18, 02:50 PM
NEOballer NEOballer is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-27-12
Posts: 148
NEOballer is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Yappi TeddyGunz & High1978! One of you joined because you love Phillips, the other because you don't.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 02-27-18, 03:21 PM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOballer View Post
Welcome to Yappi TeddyGunz & High1978! One of you joined because you love Phillips, the other because you don't.


I actually joined Yappi a while ago. I’m now reminded why I’ve never been an active participant until yesterday. The lack of desire to post positive, uplifting, and supportive comments puzzles me. “Good Coach” is not always defined by scoreboard, win-loss record, or state championships. If state championships define who is a good coach then we’ve got a lot inadequacies here in Ohio every fall. Having grown up in the Akron area, living in Columbus for almost 30 years, moving back to NE OH 2 years ago, and raising many young athletes while being heavily involved in youth and school coaching, I can tell you that I have seen a LOT (as many other folks reading this have). My sons (and daughters) have played for what I would consider to be good coaches and for bad coaches. Never have I used the scoreboard to make that judgement. Ultimately, at this level, that’s how coaches are going to be judged; I get that. What I can tell you is that my 3 sons that played for Coach Phillips are better men for the experience. And they were often in the position (in large part due to Coach Phillip’s preparation) to win key games and capture titles. Some times the players took advantage of those opportunities, and sometimes those players did not. Blaming coaches rather than teaching players to accept accountability is the job of us parents, I guess. People of Stow your sons are in good hands. You can rest assured you have a coach that will take a sincere interest in the well being and future of your boys. If you want someone who will build men, you have a good hire.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 02-27-18, 03:26 PM
yipyap yipyap is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-16-10
Posts: 179
yipyap is on a distinguished road
Tom Phillips is an outstanding football coach. I don’t know exactly what his record was at Pick North but I believe it was pretty good. The school has hired a good man and coach.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 02-28-18, 08:13 AM
Rock Chalk Rock Chalk is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-15-13
Posts: 20
Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Tom Phillips is outstanding football coach. And will do well at Stow. He coach for 10+ years in arguably one of the toughest conference in the state. In the toughest division the Ohio division
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 02-28-18, 12:02 PM
ROCKETBOOSTER ROCKETBOOSTER is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-08
Location: Aurora Ohio
Posts: 644
ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by High1978 View Post
I guess I’m confused on why this is such a good hire? In his “25%” longer stay at his previous job he has a 10 win/10 loss difference than what Nori accomplished at Stow. I guess my biggest question with the hire is: If in his time there, he had 15 D1 and 15 D2 recruits, why wasn’t he able to win more games?

I believe Nori only had 2 D1 recruits in his time at Stow. Is this guy going to be able to win when, on paper, the talent isn’t even close to what he had before?
Move on Nori left he is not coming back!
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 02-28-18, 12:03 PM
ROCKETBOOSTER ROCKETBOOSTER is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-08
Location: Aurora Ohio
Posts: 644
ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGunz View Post
I actually joined Yappi a while ago. I’m now reminded why I’ve never been an active participant until yesterday. The lack of desire to post positive, uplifting, and supportive comments puzzles me. “Good Coach” is not always defined by scoreboard, win-loss record, or state championships. If state championships define who is a good coach then we’ve got a lot inadequacies here in Ohio every fall. Having grown up in the Akron area, living in Columbus for almost 30 years, moving back to NE OH 2 years ago, and raising many young athletes while being heavily involved in youth and school coaching, I can tell you that I have seen a LOT (as many other folks reading this have). My sons (and daughters) have played for what I would consider to be good coaches and for bad coaches. Never have I used the scoreboard to make that judgement. Ultimately, at this level, that’s how coaches are going to be judged; I get that. What I can tell you is that my 3 sons that played for Coach Phillips are better men for the experience. And they were often in the position (in large part due to Coach Phillip’s preparation) to win key games and capture titles. Some times the players took advantage of those opportunities, and sometimes those players did not. Blaming coaches rather than teaching players to accept accountability is the job of us parents, I guess. People of Stow your sons are in good hands. You can rest assured you have a coach that will take a sincere interest in the well being and future of your boys. If you want someone who will build men, you have a good hire.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 02-28-18, 01:57 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
They created a job for him dealing with teacher and student safety issues. Wow, is that timely.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 02-28-18, 02:20 PM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
They created a job for him dealing with teacher and student safety issues. Wow, is that timely.


Essentially, as I understand things, it is a Guidance position focusing on “At-Risk” students (Truancy/Behavioral). Additionally counseling and mentoring academics (NCAA Compliance Review). I don’t know whether that was created or not. The ‘teacher and student safety issues’ part of the equation may be a facet recently added in light of the current environment and the need for heightened attention.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 02-28-18, 06:05 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 600
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know what type of offense the new Head Coach likes to run? Does he develop QB's?
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 02-28-18, 06:20 PM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Stow Coach Leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Does anyone know what type of offense the new Head Coach likes to run? Does he develop QB's?


I’ve watched him run the spread. By memory I would tell you that of his last 4 QBs at Pickerington one played LB at Ashland, one played QB at Charleston State, one went to the Air Force Academy, and the most recent has committed to Wofford as a QB. Another back up QB played FS at East Tenn State.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03-01-18, 08:21 AM
Rock Chalk Rock Chalk is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-15-13
Posts: 20
Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGunz View Post
Essentially, as I understand things, it is a Guidance position focusing on “At-Risk” students (Truancy/Behavioral). Additionally counseling and mentoring academics (NCAA Compliance Review). I don’t know whether that was created or not. The ‘teacher and student safety issues’ part of the equation may be a facet recently added in light of the current environment and the need for heightened attention.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At Pickerington North he was a principal of the community school.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 03-01-18, 04:14 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 600
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGunz View Post
I’ve watched him run the spread. By memory I would tell you that of his last 4 QBs at Pickerington one played LB at Ashland, one played QB at Charleston State, one went to the Air Force Academy, and the most recent has committed to Wofford as a QB. Another back up QB played FS at East Tenn State.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks TeddyGunz. I appreciate the info you provided. Sounds like he runs a pretty good offense and can help develop QB's. Good stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 03-01-18, 04:23 PM
TeddyGunz TeddyGunz is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-25-16
Posts: 8
TeddyGunz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Thanks TeddyGunz. I appreciate the info you provided. Sounds like he runs a pretty good offense and can help develop QB's. Good stuff.


You’re welcome. And in case you’re interested and missed it.,,
https://m.soundcloud.com/wakr-newsta...football-coach


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 03-01-18, 05:53 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 600
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGunz View Post
You’re welcome. And in case you’re interested and missed it.,,
https://m.soundcloud.com/wakr-newsta...football-coach


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I listened to the podcast. It was well done. Thanks for sending that out too. Again, I appreciate it. Can't wait for Friday Night Lights!!
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 03-02-18, 03:37 PM
NEOballer NEOballer is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-27-12
Posts: 148
NEOballer is on a distinguished road
Martin Poder lands the Brecksville job. I think both Stow and Brecksville made out well in their searches.

https://twitter.com/CoachPoder/statu...56229042761728
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 03-02-18, 06:06 PM
rghrider98 rghrider98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-28-06
Posts: 901
rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
I didn't even know Breckville was open. What happened to the previous coach there?
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 03-02-18, 06:42 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Nice opportunity for Poder at Brecksville! Good luck to him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Massillon Tiger Football DB135 Massillon Tigers 34 12-26-17 03:06 PM
IUDOGS: 2017 - 2018 Ohio High School Girls Basketball Coaches Changes IUDOGS Girls Basketball 156 11-08-17 01:41 PM
Game Report- Stow 35 Hudson 34 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 7 10-13-17 12:22 PM
2017 Class - Ohio Chapter of National Wrestling Hall of fame Refman Wrestling 3 09-19-17 12:57 PM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz