Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-28-18, 11:18 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I mean, did Norton have any better options? I mean, when your program has seen the kind of success, or lack thereof at Norton, Finding a reputable coach of merit to coach at Norton of all places is unlikely. Might as well try ones luck with some young blood.
Old 02-28-18, 11:59 AM
All Ohio

ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Great hire I am sure they will be fun to watch and well disciplined etc.
Old 02-28-18, 12:12 PM
Varsity

chemlab is on a distinguished road
If young Kevin tries to win at Norton by doing things the Scott Pollock/Mogadore way, it will likely fail. What has worked for a long time at Mogadore is difficult to replicate other places. Norton will never build the youth program or have the community investment that are so vital to the long term success Mogadore has sustained.

If he is willing to adapt, recruit he hallways, fit the system to the players rather than the other way around, he can be successful.
Old 02-28-18, 12:29 PM
Junior Varsity

50Hybrid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlab View Post
If young Kevin tries to win at Norton by doing things the Scott Pollock/Mogadore way, it will likely fail. What has worked for a long time at Mogadore is difficult to replicate other places. Norton will never build the youth program or have the community investment that are so vital to the long term success Mogadore has sustained.

If he is willing to adapt, recruit he hallways, fit the system to the players rather than the other way around, he can be successful.
At Strasburg he tried to do the Mogadore way there. It obviously didn't work out. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.
Old 02-28-18, 03:40 PM
All Region

ThankYouJesus is on a distinguished road
Get a clue...............yes, they had way better options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I mean, when your program has seen the kind of success, or lack thereof at Norton, Finding a reputable coach of merit to coach at Norton of all places is unlikely. Might as well try ones luck with some young blood.
The SON, of a guy who had success in a WAY DIFFERENT environment, is a reputable coach...............

Believe me, the competition young Pollock will face now is way different than what he poorly prepared for at Strasburg!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the "super" and the "daddy" are friends, the AD HAD NO CHOICE!!!

Let them REAP what they SOW..............as usual.....................
Old 02-28-18, 10:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouJesus View Post
The SON, of a guy who had success in a WAY DIFFERENT environment, is a reputable coach...............

Believe me, the competition young Pollock will face now is way different than what he poorly prepared for at Strasburg!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the "super" and the "daddy" are friends, the AD HAD NO CHOICE!!!

Let them REAP what they SOW..............as usual.....................
Very well, I will hold you to these words. You may be right. But 2 years at Strasburg for a young guy is hardly a sample size, to determine his merits. And it can take more then two years to turn around a program. More like 3-5. I'm hoping for our rivals sake, that this hire will turn out well.

You mention other better coaches of merit, that had applied to Norton. Care to say?
Old 03-01-18, 09:03 AM
All Region

Age discrimination !!

Quote:
Very well, I will hold you to these words. You may be right. You mention other better coaches of merit, that had applied to Norton. Care to say?
Nobody over 50 was given an interview, I'll just leave it at that for now.........
Old 03-01-18, 12:05 PM
All American

I mean, maybe Norton didn't want any low energy old farts coaching. Maybe they decided a young person with energy may be a better fit.
Old 03-01-18, 03:12 PM
All Region

Put some money up genius.........

Quote:
I mean, maybe Norton didn't want any low energy old farts coaching. Maybe they decided a young person with energy may be a better fit.
I guess Perry felt otherwise when they hired Wakefield back............sounds like you should coach with your young blood buddy..............if you knew anything about education in the 21st century, few schools care anymore what warm body is at the front of the classroom or in front of the team.

People in Strasburg don't have good things to say about "SON of" Pollock, but I've got plenty of money if you want to wager..............5k says they don't have a winning season next year, energy and all, you in????????????????
Old 03-01-18, 03:52 PM
All American

Quote:
I guess Perry felt otherwise when they hired Wakefield back............sounds like you should coach with your young blood buddy..............if you knew anything about education in the 21st century, few schools care anymore what warm body is at the front of the classroom or in front of the team.

People in Strasburg don't have good things to say about "SON of" Pollock, but I've got plenty of money if you want to wager..............5k says they don't have a winning season next year, energy and all, you in????????????????
I wouldnt wager on a winning season next year. But id be more inclined to wager on a winning season in the next 4 years. There may not be a coach alive who could turn Norton around in 1 season. At any rate, look im not claiming this young guy could be second coming. But im not sure if too much stock could be put into his record at strasburg. Two seasons does not define a coach. Ed Egan is our head coach at Coventry, a team that went 8-2 this season, nearly beat Tallmadge, and got 8 of their 16 seniors playing college ball. His record his first two seasons is 6-14. Point is, give this guy a chance. What does norton have to lose.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-18, 04:43 PM
All District

Footballfever123 is on a distinguished road
Any truth to the rumor Crestwoods AD and Football coach is out?
Old 03-01-18, 06:19 PM
All American

At any rate, if nortons hire turns out to be a disaster, dont come gloating to me, idc, i dont have a stake in this. Im no Norton fan. Im a Coventry fan. Norton is Coventry's rival.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-18, 07:44 AM
All District

ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfever123 View Post
Any truth to the rumor Crestwoods AD and Football coach is out?
AD is out next month, good man left on his own. Already has another job.
Old 03-02-18, 11:28 AM
Freshman

Spot50 is on a distinguished road
Would love to be coaching in the PTC against all these young guns. Cloverleaf - young man - no winning record in the past and will be none in the future. Norton - losing record at Strasburg and at 26 yrs old (really!). What kind of life experiences is he able to share. Field - losing record at Rittman and under 30 years of age. Springfield - I believe the new HC has been coaching at other schools the past couple of years. Why is that and what kind of loyalty does that show the kids and the community. Streetsboro - they hire a guy that decimated a solid program at Crestwood and he doesn't set the world on fire. Ravenna and Coventry will finish at the top and Woodridge will continue to dominate. A question - do these administrators or the decision makers have a clue on what is needed to build a successful football program? Lastly, with all of the young guns getting hired, whatever happened to "paying your dues"?
Old 03-02-18, 01:35 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
Would love to be coaching in the PTC against all these young guns. Cloverleaf - young man - no winning record in the past and will be none in the future. Norton - losing record at Strasburg and at 26 yrs old (really!). What kind of life experiences is he able to share. Field - losing record at Rittman and under 30 years of age. Springfield - I believe the new HC has been coaching at other schools the past couple of years. Why is that and what kind of loyalty does that show the kids and the community. Streetsboro - they hire a guy that decimated a solid program at Crestwood and he doesn't set the world on fire. Ravenna and Coventry will finish at the top and Woodridge will continue to dominate. A question - do these administrators or the decision makers have a clue on what is needed to build a successful football program? Lastly, with all of the young guns getting hired, whatever happened to "paying your dues"?
Why don't your money where your mouth is then chief? Did you try to get the Norton job? Were you jumping at the opportunity to take over programs like Cloverleaf and Field?

Here is what I think. If you have been coaching football for 15+ years and the best you can do is a head job at a lower tier PTC school, you probably aren't that great of a coach. These aren't very attractive jobs for talented and experienced coaches so these schools are left to choose between younger guys with less experience or more experienced guys who aren't as good.

How did age work out for Tallmadge hiring the elder Pollock, the 20 something Vanderink has cleaned up his mess quite nicely.

Woodridge is a good example, they were horrible for a long time. Hired Eric Ervin when he was in his 20's, Ervin turned Woodridge into a winner and when he left they were able to attract a more experienced pool of coaches wanting to take over.
Old 03-02-18, 01:39 PM
All Region

GREAT observations!!!!!!!

Quote:
You obviously get it, and were not born before 1990; sad what public education has turned into..............it is not the kids that have destroyed public education resulting in the private schools dominating, it is administrators that hire the cheapest warm body possible to stand at the front of the classroom or in front of a team...........if the coach is even in the building anymore.............values............???
Old 03-02-18, 02:04 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
I see both side of the argument ... there are some good young coaches who just need an opportunity ... the problem to me is that many schools don't give them tools needed to succeed ... they hire a young coach and then do nothing to help them get a good staff. Back in the day, there were 3 or 4 other coaches in the HS or MS helping recruit (their own school), discipline, and model the desired behaviors ... now days, they hire someone and usually he is the only coach in the building, if he is in the building. It is asking too much of a young inexperienced coach. The schools that really succeed are the one that help him get quality assistant and middle school coaches.
Old 03-02-18, 02:49 PM
All Region

Chemlab hear this..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlab View Post
Why don't your money where your mouth is then chief?
I'm willing to wager your "young blood" hero has a losing season this year Chemlab...............I'll put down 5k, you in?????????????????????
Old 03-02-18, 03:05 PM
Freshman

Spot50 is on a distinguished road
Chemlab, In regards to Coach Ervin and Woodridge success, trust me he was not the reason behind it. If he was, why would he still not be in charge? I know coaches that were at Woodridge during the lean years. The numbers were low due to the demographics at the time. Now with all of the new developments producing numbers along with quality kids, that has a lot to do with their success. As for the youth movement in hiring head coaches, check out the ohsaa site. They are all looking for coaches to assist them. Older coaches that would welcome a chance already have connections to assemble staffs.
Old 03-02-18, 03:07 PM
Varsity

Quote:
I'm willing to wager your "young blood" hero has a losing season this year Chemlab...............I'll put down 5k, you in?????????????????????
I don't even know who you are talking about? Pollock? If you paid attention I previously said Pollock probably won't have success. Not because he is young, but because he is stuck in his Mogadore ways, and because Norton's talent isn't very good. I am no fan of Norton or Pollock, but writing him off because of his age is very foolish.

Some of the "elder" coaches in the PTC have pissed away very talented rosters by being poor coaches.
Old 03-02-18, 03:19 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Chemlab, In regards to Coach Ervin and Woodridge success, trust me he was not the reason behind it. If he was, why would he still not be in charge? I know coaches that were at Woodridge during the lean years. The numbers were low due to the demographics at the time. Now with all of the new developments producing numbers along with quality kids, that has a lot to do with their success. As for the youth movement in hiring head coaches, check out the ohsaa site. They are all looking for coaches to assist them. Older coaches that would welcome a chance already have connections to assemble staffs.
I don't know, maybe because after 10 years he was ready to move on, coach at the school where his son was enrolling? Not sure the correlation between his impact on the Woodridge football program's turnaround and his decision to step down? I was unaware of the rule that required successful coaches to stay at the same place in perpetuity. I must be too young to understand.
Old 03-02-18, 05:17 PM
Varsity

wildcat62 is on a distinguished road
This might be the dumbest convo I've ever read on here. Mogadore ways? You mean being relevant every year? Prolonged success? Young men prepared for life ? Sounds exactly what a school like Norton needs. This "young gun" is a good person and excellent coach. Too bad the jury on here have reached a verdict before the trial. Maybe that's why Norton FB struggles, your boys are tough, they've showed that in the past against us. Sounds like the problems start w/their "supporters"
Old 03-07-18, 06:52 AM
All Region

Consider the source

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Sounds exactly what a school like Norton needs. This "young gun" is a good person and excellent coach. Too bad the jury on here have reached a verdict before the trial. Maybe that's why Norton FB struggles, your boys are tough, they've showed that in the past against us. Sounds like the problems start w/their "supporters"
WOW, so you are predicting a Norton victory with "Son of Pollock" over Mogadore this year..................I'll gladly take Mogadore, how much you want to wager?????????????????

Glad you approve of Norton's hire, of course, its clear you ARE NOT a Norton tax payer..................too bad Moggy didn't hire him...............
Old 03-07-18, 08:53 AM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Norton no longer plays Mogadore.
Old 03-07-18, 11:34 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Anything on Rootstown?
Old 03-07-18, 01:09 PM
All District

Footballfever123 is on a distinguished road
Nothing official but Keith Boedecker will be the coach
Old 03-07-18, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfever123 View Post
Nothing official but Keith Boedecker will be the coach
Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
Old 03-07-18, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Who's he?
Old 03-07-18, 01:22 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash mouth 34 View Post
Who's he?
He was the Head Coach at Nordonia for a good while, Stow also I believe. Some reason I think maybe Brush also. He's been around and has been very successful overall. That would be a nice hire for Rootstown.
Old 03-07-18, 01:35 PM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
Oh, yeah sounded familiar.